Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
The song of life is "Hands", wherein Kiryu sings about his grandson, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gort posted:

I do think it's a shame that Clan Creator only lets you bring along like five named characters, and then has a zillion faceless goons you can spawn. Let me bring everyone!

Ngl I was severely tempted to buy the overpriced clan creator dlc just to get people to sing the Majima Construction anthem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Reminder that in y6 and maybe k2?? There's a ton of codes for super powered guys for those missions, makes it a lot more fun

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/181153-yakuza-6-the-song-of-life/faqs/75786/clan-creator-codes

My favorite is
kiryusavemepleaz

Daigo Dojima

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for the first week or so the majima construction dlc was free. i used those overpowered dlc characters to effortlessly burn through the whole thing. which was nice, because it isn't a very good minigame.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Kojiro posted:

Oh the shooting is godawful, the lockon especially, but just set it to easy and you blow through the zombies like they're nothing- less so with Akiyama's pistols, but Majima can clear a room with a shotgun like no-one's business, and I just started playing Ryuji, whose gatling gun is just a hose of bullets you vaguely wave at zombies to make them dead. You only have to reckon with that in the actual zombie quarantine zones, and outside of those it's essentially Y4 with all of its minigames, no hand to hand fighting, a very pared down but goofy-fun plot, with chains of character-specific substories that take you in and out of the quarantine zones.

Basically it's worth it if you're a fan of the characters and the Yakuza sense of humour, and would like to see Goro Majima's Extremely Good Real Fun Day or watch Daigo attempt to have a very serious zoom meeting with the Omi to accuse them of creating zombies.
Not worth it if you're there for zombie horror, compelling gameplay or mechanical reasons.

Treat it like a musou game rather than a shooter. It becomes a lot more easier save the bosses where they have obvious weak spots

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy gently caress the Tsukimino map is absolutely loving trash tier.

It looks simple enough but it’s basically a bunch of narrow corridors, meaning you can never avoid fights. And there are way too many enemies around. I’m getting in a fight every 5-10 seconds while running around.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
it's really nice looking but im thankful saejima ends fights in one swing otherwise i would be extremely more bitter

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thank You Card posted:

it's really nice looking but im thankful saejima ends fights in one swing otherwise i would be extremely more bitter

Really love that I had a fight, took one step and immediately got in another fight, which immediately went into a third fight after another half a step. This is not an exaggeration and literally just happened.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Clan creator in 6 was better purely because eventually you could just spawn a billion mooks and let the game win itself for you without doing anything else, so it didn’t need you to micromanage anything and you could just grind it out while concentrating on something actually fun.

YK2 clan creator required babysitting the whole time and I did not appreciate that change at all.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

mastershakeman posted:

Reminder that in y6 and maybe k2?? There's a ton of codes for super powered guys for those missions, makes it a lot more fun

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/181153-yakuza-6-the-song-of-life/faqs/75786/clan-creator-codes

If you use the codes for Daigo and the top-level Kiryu from this you can cheese the entire minigame by spawning Daigo first, then using his extra deployment ability to call in Kiryu to murder everything for him. Which, I mean... it's in-character, at least. Breezed through the whole thing using that and Akiyama, Date, Tanahashi (for the heal) and Majima (because I missed him).

I did like that for no real reason Date's ability is named MUSCLE PARTY which sounds like something you'd read on a Kamurocho street sign.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me when people say the combat in the Dragon Engine is better

https://i.imgur.com/4guYh8i.mp4

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I loved that Y6's combat was fast and lethal (in the non-killing sense since it's Kiryu, I guess), no boss had more than one health bar. Everyone else hated it and it was immediately reverted for K2 though. Though admittedly the K2 final would not work with one bar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tonfa posted:

I loved that Y6's combat was fast and lethal, no boss had more than one health bar. Everyone else hated it and it was immediately reverted for K2 though.

:same:

The damage sponge enemies just annoy me sometimes. A lot of the time it’s because they don’t really have a lot of ways to actually gently caress me up, so winning is a foregone conclusion, but I still have to smack them up for like three full minutes anyway.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The White Dragon posted:

yakuza:
- lean out the window of your car and shoot helicopters and motorbikes
- run into strung-out pedestrians who need your help
- fight the police
- heartwarming story about how the dumb criminal protagonist gets his poo poo together

gta:
- lean out the window of your car and shoot helicopters and motorbikes
- run into strung-out pedestrians who need your help
- fight the police
- heartwarming story about how the dumb criminal protagonist gets his poo poo together

:raise:

cant recall any yakuza game where you actually fight the police...

the only one they did where you do is judgment unless im forgetting something. the corrupt ones dont count, before you throw 4 at me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gort posted:

Yeah, the combat's not really the reason to play these games. In the more modern entries, the combat is fine but there's too much of it. In the older ones, the combat's pretty bad, and there's too much of it.

Regarding the lengths of the games:

Random question - I played all of Yakuza 6 and have no idea what "The Song of Life" might be. Anyone know?

yakuza 7 - main story 43 hours, hell yeah baby!

also lol at the rest of those loving times. took me a full year playing them back to back. 0 took me nearly 200+ hours, 60 for the first run, 140 for the immediate replay on legend, k1 lasted at least 50 hours. the idea of blasting through them in 15 hours each and calling it a day should be a ban offence.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 2, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

So my takeaway here is that 6 has almost no side content and 3/4/5 have way too much?

lol no, your takeaway should be howlongtobeat is very inaccurate. 6 has tons of side content, they cut back on some stuff and the side content is more focused and bigger in scope, its just... no where near as much as 5, obviously.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

the only one they did where you do is judgment unless im forgetting something. the corrupt ones dont count, before you throw 4 at me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

My favorite is
kiryusavemepleaz

Daigo Dojima

how is this a reminder, this is the first ive ever heard of this goddamn, now i really wanna replay them all right now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like Yakuza 5 is incredibly ambitious but I'm not sure if it completely justifies its denseness. Having five locations sounds cool, but Tsukimino is terrible and I have little motivation to actually learn where anything is in these towns since I'll never see them again.

Also, there is a gently caress ton of stuff to do, but a lot of it just ends up feeling like busy work. "Pick up garbage. Just run around the map and find the five picture spots. Find the three restaurants for the chef." They added so much to the game but because there is so much to do, it just feels like I now have a list of not very engaging chores to accomplish in every sitting.

Would have rather they spent that dev time in doing something like creating a second hostess for each character or something.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

you should do the 3 restaurants for the chef stuff tho.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol no, your takeaway should be howlongtobeat is very inaccurate. 6 has tons of side content, they cut back on some stuff and the side content is more focused and bigger in scope, its just... no where near as much as 5, obviously.

I spent at least 10 hours on the baseball league alone between the games themselves and the side stories to get all the best dudes.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've said it before but I'd love to play a game that expands 6's baseball stuff to an entire game

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

you should do the 3 restaurants for the chef stuff tho.

Oh, I totally do.

I’m still leaving myself open to being surprised by Yakuza 5, but as I approach the end of Saejima’s section, I feel like it’s a step down from 4 so far.

I definitely like Saejima better in 5 than 4, but these new cities haven’t really done much for me. I much prefer just hanging out in Kamurocho with all my characters.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I was the opposite. I was so excited to be away from Kamurocho since literally every other game has you there for anywhere from 90% to 100% of the time (except for Y0 and YK2).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vikar Jerome posted:

ok if the corrupt ones in 4 are off limits then the corrupt ones in 0. see, it happens more often than you think!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

Oh, I totally do.

I’m still leaving myself open to being surprised by Yakuza 5, but as I approach the end of Saejima’s section, I feel like it’s a step down from 4 so far.

I definitely like Saejima better in 5 than 4, but these new cities haven’t really done much for me. I much prefer just hanging out in Kamurocho with all my characters.

Shinada has one of the best new cities, so that helps a lot . You're right that saejimas sucked. I'd have been happy in the mountain town and just the winter sculpture park, none of the city needed to be there at all

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Shinada has one of the best new cities, so that helps a lot . You're right that saejimas sucked. I'd have been happy in the mountain town and just the winter sculpture park, none of the city needed to be there at all

It really adds nothing but frustration as there's no real space to maneuver at all. I feel like they want Saejima's portion to be so focused but then they're like "oh poo poo, we have to add in all the other stuff like hostesses and other substories" and so it feels like it does neither well. Just making Saejima's stuff almost completely railroaded would be a better experience.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mordiceius posted:

It really adds nothing but frustration as there's no real space to maneuver at all. I feel like they want Saejima's portion to be so focused but then they're like "oh poo poo, we have to add in all the other stuff like hostesses and other substories" and so it feels like it does neither well. Just making Saejima's stuff almost completely railroaded would be a better experience.

That map definitely sucks. Use taxis wherever possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not possible a lot of the time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yowza the end of Saejima's chapter was good. Less of a "cool dude" bombast style of Kiryu but like some real solid character work.

Excited for Haruka!

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Of all people in this thread, no you're not

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i think he'll dig harukas segment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dug it. thankfully the rhythm games are way easier than karaoke. well, aside from amon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Finished Kiwami 2. Not the best image but I think my completion was at a little over 50%. It was good, the ending on the unfinished Kamurocho Hills tower was appropriately dramatic, though when someone jokingly said everyone was a secret Korean I didn't think they literally meant like 4/5ths of new characters :laffo:. It was a little much, though Terada having a secret plan to bring down the Tojo, but then a second secret plan to use a fake bomb to...draw the other Omi guy out(?) I guess(???) because he was still partially good due to his respect for Kazama but only a little bit (??????). The inevitable series of confusing betrayals in both this and K1 leads me to believe that there will never be a plot as straightforward as 0's 'everyone wants the empty lot and they're all pretty cool flashy 80s criminals' again and for that I am sad. Still, Ryuji and his sister were still pretty good characters. Did Ryuji die at the end after he and Kiryu fought while shot to hell? If so, I'm adding another tally to the list of deaths that Kiryu is clearly responsible for that the game refuses to acknowledge, this one more direct than most.

I also finished the Majima Saga in less than two hours, which was...less than I expected. Is there any reason to stick around and fight all the street bosses? The game said something Majima could send money to Kiryu in the main game but it's kinda like....who cares? Kiryu is already making infinite money and I'm only halfway through the cabaret leagues.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Your ultimate reward for beating all the street bosses in the Majima Saga is 3 million yen. Which I'm pretty sure they're expecting you to funnel straight into Kiryu.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The real handy thing is that the last chunk of money you funnel to Kiryu is in the form of a gun which you then sell to Kamiyama to unlock most if not all of his inventory.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just bought and sold the same knives or clubs or whatever until he gave me my poison death sword

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Wolfsheim posted:

Did Ryuji die at the end after he and Kiryu fought while shot to hell? If so, I'm adding another tally to the list of deaths that Kiryu is clearly responsible for that the game refuses to acknowledge, this one more direct than most.
Probably yes if you believe only the main games, no if you are not a coward and accept Dead Souls into your heart

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 3, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was only shot, it's nbd. once he pops a staminan from his subspace inventory he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Yakuza 5 Finale Ch. 3

"We have to fight to the death so the mastermind will show up!"
...this boss fight reasoning is real dumb. I've felt this way about a lot of boss fights in 5. There's been a lot of silly reasoning so dudes can punch each other a lot.

But then Kurosawa shows up to call them all idiots who fight passionately which causes other dumb yakuza to follow them, but can't make money for poo poo and I now feel a lot better about this lol. They got caught up in their fight bullshit that it made it easier for Kurosawa to try to get rid of them since they're all weakened.

But then! Daigo shows up. And, for a brief glorious moment, Daigo was very cool. But as yakuza plot dictates, Daigo must never be useful so he gets shot and the bad guy gets away.

5 has been kind of losing me a bit. I don't dislike it as much as 4, but this will probably end up on the lower end of my yakuza rankings. I liked Shinada's part the most and parts of the others, but how all the main characters tie together hasn't been too interesting.