Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"When I die I want cig to put me in the grave so they can let me down one last time" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

sebmojo posted:

"When I die I want cig to put me in the grave so they can let me down one last time" lol

i hope there aren't any ramps nearby when they reverse the hearse

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

Yong Yea is just so bad (and pads his stuff like no other) but I may see that.

Every Youtuber pads their videos, except Lock Picking Lawyer.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

I'm about ready to unsubscribe from him, he needs to write better scripts and edit more. He sounds like a 2000s IGN reviewer who just got a thesaurus (STOP SAYING "ARRAY") and most of his content is just dryly reading other articles. Inside Gaming and Jim Sterling do it better, because they're at least funny and Jim does good analysis.

Also he moved to LA to try and be a voice actor, and, uh, he's not good. He sounds kinda like that one guy who did voices in every Flash game on Newgrounds.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

sebmojo posted:

CIG Rep: Sorry the grave is only tier 0 but we are reworking the soil-meshing component and hope to have a new roadmap for when the actual burial can occur!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Chris will absolve himself from everything.

Nothing to see here.

Moved to Concern.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkNQVWkgpc

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
We just need to be more positive.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm in my 70s will I live to see the completion of this game?

Backed around 6 years ago, I keep telling myself ill be around a while longer yet but each time I check the progress I start feeling less hopeful...

I hope so, friend.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

HiroProtagonist posted:

i must be too internet-poisoned but wtf is "IK"?

It is Inverse Kinematics.

What this is, in video games, is the programming to allow a character to interact "physically" with the world around it.

Some obvious implementations of this are, for example, characters feet placement over terrain.

Other implementations involve characters hands reaching out dynamically to interact with objects, able to make a motion that hasn't been animated in a set fashion.

One of the companies that has always done stuff like this really fantastically has been Rockstar, with the sheer amount of ways characters can dynamically interact with, and be hit by and interact with, pieces of the environment or other character entities.

CIG is very big on motion capture, and static animations. This animation looks good, but it's also starting to age out in today's modern world where a character is more "being" in and taking up "space" in its environment rather than just being some sort of collision box that plays some animation when a button is pressed. This level of being and taking up space is where this level of IK programming comes into play, making a characters actions much more believable and physical feeling in their world.

It's like the difference between watching a CIG character climb a ladder vs playing Uncharted or something similar and climbing around a more complex environment and watching how that character moves and interacts.

In CIGs defense though, I doubt they will ever be able to attract the level of developers with the knowledge to be able to implement these more complex systems. So expect a million hours motion capturing grabbing something from different levels of a shelf.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also he moved to LA to try and be a voice actor, and, uh, he's not good. He sounds kinda like that one guy who did voices in every Flash game on Newgrounds.

ProZD he is not.

When's Chairem Anime : Legend of the Galactic Recliners, you hack?!!!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:lol:

Holy poo poo this was super balls of steel levels of stupid to post this up when everybody is supposed to believe Squadron 54 is almost done and totally about to enter beta. :aaaaa:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

Holy poo poo this was super balls of steel levels of stupid to post this up when everybody is supposed to believe Squadron 54 is almost done and totally about to enter beta. :aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/Dusk_and_Dawn_V/status/1289279610635431937

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

ProZD he is not.

When's Chairem Anime : Legend of the Galactic Recliners, you hack?!!!

Yeah I got him and YongYea confused. When R3 said he wasn't a good voice actor I thought he was talking about SungWon- that dude is hilarious and great.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yeah I got him and YongYea confused. When R3 said he wasn't a good voice actor I thought he was talking about SungWon- that dude is hilarious and great.

Yeah, here's YongYea's voice acting reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmu_ayxEpE

He's ok, I guess, but in a very 90s anime way. A lot of goofy accents and SCREAMING.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

No, like Yong Yea they don't. The man is clinically incapable of not returning to the same point half a dozen times per video.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There are text-to-speech robots with better, more emotional delivery too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

trucutru posted:

There are text-to-speech robots with better, more emotional delivery too.

You talking about Yong Yea or Sandi?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You talking about Yong Yea or Sandi?

Sandi has a very good and authentic "YOU'RE FIRED".

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

trucutru posted:

Sandi has a very good and authentic "YOU'RE FIRED".

Better or worse than Vince McMahon?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
DaGaimez (?) is annoyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWwqhGcP1w

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:ohdear:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

Fuk yuu rear end

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

XK posted:

Those Finish hydraulic press guys get right to the loving point. They know you’ve just come to see random poo poo get slowly crushed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Popete posted:

Things are looking rough for CIG they're gonna have to really turn things around and do something drastic to get the Citizens back on board. Perhaps go so far as to release a new Cutlass colour variant.

They need to pivot away from their toxic fanbase to a woker culture:

Cutlass Rainbow Pride
Cutlass Black Lives Matter

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

eXXon posted:

They need to pivot away from their toxic fanbase to a woker culture:

I first read that as "worker culture" and thought, yeah, good luck with that.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
spaceship number go down?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

spaceship number go down?

To only 3 million dollars a month. 100,000 a day. Pathetic!

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Star Citizen: For the privilege of giving Chris our money we are entitled to nothing

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
with games like flight simulator and cyberpunk releasing this year, i think we can say that 2020 really is the year that gaming hardware is ready to handle games just as chris always imagined them to be. this stuff looks just as my imagination when i run in circles with my airplane toys. (i dont do that)

some 2020 games are exactly at the level of FIDELITY chris always wanted to have, but alas the piss poor hardware always foiled his plans.

its sad that we do not see him on camera anymore, because i would like to know his thoughts on current gen games. would he consider them on par with store citizer? i mean flight simulator HAS ONLY ONE PLANET.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imagine Chris seeing the results of Ghost of Tsushima's photo mode...poor guy, current gen console game making GBS threads all over his fidelity.

(or TLOU2....or Death Stranding...or FF7R...)

e: they are even beating him on the procedural bird front:

https://i.imgur.com/FEeKjx2.mp4

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 2, 2020

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This citizens lengthy Meltdown as he has a moment of clarity and realises everything Roberts told him was a lie is quite sad to read...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

trucutru posted:

100% agree, he pads the poo poo out of the time to make it monetizable. He has covered it at least once, covering the 27,000$ completionist package that isn't complete.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

XK posted:

The Forgotten Weapons guy and the MRE guy are also righteous in this regard.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

smellmycheese posted:

This citizens lengthy Meltdown as he has a moment of clarity and realises everything Roberts told him was a lie is quite sad to read...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

Star Citizer: Leir system, eh? More like the LIAR SYSTEM

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Bumble He posted:

its sad that we do not see him on camera anymore, because i would like to know his thoughts on current gen games. would he consider them on par with store citizer? i mean flight simulator HAS ONLY ONE PLANET.

Except MFS2020's planet is as large as all of SC's planets put together, and has way more airports/spaceports (tens of thousands), cities (millions), environments (every environment ever mapped by Bing Maps), an actual flight model, better graphics, and real world real time weather and air traffic. I expect blood on the ground third week of August as gamers really get into the game and see how far behind SC is a true next gen game.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Imagine Chris seeing the results of Ghost of Tsushima's photo mode...poor guy, current gen console game making GBS threads all over his fidelity.

(or TLOU2....or Death Stranding...or FF7R...)

e: they are even beating him on the procedural bird front:

https://i.imgur.com/FEeKjx2.mp4

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Don't know if this has been posted before, but after reading some of the crap that backers spout, about how CI are making all these wonderous tools to make the development faster. (Any day now) I thought I would have a quick look at what Lumberyard could do via some YouTube tutorials. One backer spoke about Planet Painting, you know, texturing terrain, like CI had invented it. Check out the comments on this tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX7O9K66zbY