Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing there. The point is that, given that requirement, the military has a wide variety of tools to accomplish that mission. Likewise, we should use a wide variety of tools to fight climate change because it's a huge, wide-ranging problem, and it's a fallacy to discount a specific technology or method on the grounds that it won't single-handedly solve the problem. It's like the people who say the F-35 it worthless because it can't support an amphibious landing entirely by itself or whatever.

On second read, I think you’re right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

aphid_licker posted:

Mining, crushing and spreading olivine could allegedly be done with fossil fuel and still have you come out ahead on CO2 according to this one article I read. But the process of reversing idk, 50% of 150 years of fossil fuel burning admittedly is pretty daunting.

Where from? Where are these massive olivine deposits? Bowen's Reaction Series doesn't just show crystallisation conditions, it's also a cheat sheet for how susceptible minerals are to being destroyed when exposed to atmospheric conditions. Olivine is at the top, and is most susceptible. Once it gets to the surface it's already going to be destroyed by wind and rain in such a short time, geologically, that a deposit big enough to use for this simply won't ever form. Also, olivine that hangs around in the sub-surface starts being hydrothermally altered and turns into asbestos.

Also, as others have pointed out, you get into the captive capital side of things. "Why would I use my insanely expensive mining infrastructure to mine and crush olivine for spreading when I could use it for mining gold?" Governments could pay for them to do it, but considering there's a big difference between "here is a fixed rate, indexed to inflation for every million tons of olivine you supply" and "we'll mine gold and then if there's a global crisis and the gold price goes through the loving roof, we all get rich" mining companies won't want to participate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

So it looks like the F-35 still has the following problems:

Twice as expensive when new to operate as legacy fighters (even though the legacy fighters are obviously old and in some cases worn out.)

So: the whole "reasonable operating cost thing" , an abject failure

Lockmart: 800 something problems, a lot of which they've apparently given up on fixing

The Autonomic Logistics Information System (ALIS) system is such a dumpster fire that the Pentagon is replacing it with Odin (that's true, although it is ODIN)

For Canada: the promise of operating off of short runways is a failure. LockMart created a bodge solution that doesn't work

Also I'm not sure where I read about it, but does the program still suffer from spaghetti code? I remember reading about that, but I'm not sure if that is current

I wish Canada had bought Rafales. I think they're better-looking than the Eurofighter and more practical (twin engine, carrier-capable) than the Gripen. And they're :france:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sagebrush posted:

I wish Canada had bought Rafales. I think they're better-looking than the Eurofighter and more practical (twin engine, carrier-capable) than the Gripen. And they're :france:

Yeah they were my fav pick too mostly because they look drat good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know that Dassault withdrew because of interoperability concerns, but I'd like to think the RCAF also realized if they bought Rafales the US would constantly be clamoring for them to stress their airframes in DACT sessions.

How to bait a Canadian: start every querying statement with "Hey, y'know, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother or trouble..." :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing there. The point is that, given that requirement, the military has a wide variety of tools to accomplish that mission. Likewise, we should use a wide variety of tools to fight climate change because it's a huge, wide-ranging problem, and it's a fallacy to discount a specific technology or method on the grounds that it won't single-handedly solve the problem. It's like the people who say the F-35 it worthless because it can't support an amphibious landing entirely by itself or whatever.

Yeah, I think in climate change talk perfectionism has been a real determent. The guys who wanted things ideal were the Nazis; and they were defeated by a bunch of people who knew what had to be done, and saw any step toward that end a good one

(um, arglebargle I'm not calling you a Nazi, I just think you've might have hung out with the doom screamers a bit too much. Perfectionism is unhealthy as is the untrammeled negativity a lot of those people are into.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If catalysts eventually can turn carbon dioxide and water into ethanol below the boiling point that's great, but some sort of carbon capture plant running on nuclear power in 20 years is a) wildly less efficient than simply not polluting and b) pure science fiction. Hell, run it on a fusion reactor. That's how not-real these things are.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The most interesting idea I heard about to reduce CO2 levels was to create absolutely huge seaweed plantations. Imagine a glorified trellis structure seeded with a bunch of different seaweed species dropped around coastal and offshore areas. The idea being that it traps CO2, takes basically no maintenance and promotes sea life rehabilitation as well. Thats the theory anyway. The idea was that it shouldn't take any energy to capture the carbon like some proposed machine based programs and won't take up space like trees do (though we should have more trees in general as well).

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Autonomic Logistics Information System (ALIS) system is such a dumpster fire that the Pentagon is replacing it with Odin (that's true, although it is ODIN)

As long as they stick to phantasy star character names...

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

At the height of the war in Afghanistan in 2011, two senior officers from Special Forces met in a bar in Dorset to have a secret conversation. They feared some of the UK's most highly-trained troops had adopted a "deliberate policy" of illegally killing unarmed men. Evidence is now emerging that suggests they were right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah we're dealing with mounting evidence that the Australian SAS have been doing the same things. Like the exact same AK with the exact same tape on the barrel in three different pictures of dead bodies to prove they were "combatants", and not just executed.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

You'd think it would be hard to source a ham sandwich in Afghanistan, but I guess dudes who are super into murdering innocent bystanders are dedicated enough to make the effort.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arglebargle III posted:

If catalysts eventually can turn carbon dioxide and water into ethanol below the boiling point that's great, but some sort of carbon capture plant running on nuclear power in 20 years is a) wildly less efficient than simply not polluting and b) pure science fiction. Hell, run it on a fusion reactor. That's how not-real these things are.

Fair

Though I was trying to think of how 1950s people would deal with CC. Nuclear was usually the first option; the second was...tiny turbines burning hydrazine and elemental fluorine?

Dumb question, who is China developing an air-launched ballistic missile?

brains
May 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

i'll do you one better: what is China developing an air-launched ballistic missile?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not a dumb question; more of a Jeopardy! answer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

brains posted:

i'll do you one better: what is China developing an air-launched ballistic missile?

Well played. :golfclap:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Daniel Ellsberg?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hold up, someone was supposed to ask about a stooped and mealy colored old man they used to call papa.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Hobo on Fire posted:

Hold up, someone was supposed to ask about a stooped and mealy colored old man they used to call papa.

Your toenails are dirty.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Great Prophet hype footage.

https://twitter.com/HosseinDalirian/status/1288416165019222016?s=20

https://twitter.com/JeremyBinnie/status/1110931504841084929?s=20

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I hate that we no longer live in a society where we can't build a one-off prototype plane, stick two F135s in it, and "see what happens." :smith:

you do it in software and get better answers faster and cheaper

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Iran is catching up to us in hype/moto video capabilities, we cannot allow them to close this gap.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you do it in software and get better answers faster and cheaper

It's just not the same, man. No sense of adventure ;)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hauldren Collider posted:

It's just not the same, man. No sense of adventure ;)

“You arent big enough and there aren’t enough of you to get me in that thing again.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whats the life expectancy for something uninvited flying above a CVBG to drop guided gravity bombs on the carrier? Thirty, forty seconds?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

brains posted:

lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

Whats the life expectancy for something uninvited flying above a CVBG to drop guided gravity bombs on the carrier? Thirty, forty seconds?

What do mean “above?” I don’t think it would get anywhere near it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Just found an amazing old documentary about ww1 air power. Notable highlights are discussions about manufacturing techniques and manufacturing flaws on specific planes presented by restorers at the smithsonian while they are rebuilding the planes.

E. And then demonstrated by modern pilots flying the planes and having them break and catch fire, and interviews with ww1 pilots reminiscing how the planes always broke and caught fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1GM3VIyF8

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 3, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Iranian UAVs have regularly gone rather near CVNs, but that’s a byproduct of SoH transits and Iran’s legal authority to fly around in the SoH looking at things. Different story in blue waters. And different if wings dirty. But with internal stores, it’s harder to know if a platform is armed or not.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just found an amazing old documentary about ww1 air power. Notable highlights are discussions about manufacturing techniques and manufacturing flaws on specific planes presented by restorers at the smithsonian while they are rebuilding the planes.

E. And then demonstrated by modern pilots flying the planes and having them break and catch fire, and interviews with ww1 pilots reminiscing how the planes always broke and caught fire.

Do the modern pilots also get uncontrollable castor-oil induced diarrhea? I won't watch it if it doesn't have literal poopysuits. MY IMMERSION!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Neophyte posted:

Do the modern pilots also get uncontrollable castor-oil induced diarrhea? I won't watch it if it doesn't have literal poopysuits. MY IMMERSION!

Yes they do, and they make a point of mentioning that part just as a guy is climbing out :butt:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Do they mention airships at all

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do they mention airships at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-N3_plNq8

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

THAT'S NOT EVEN RELEVANT TO MY QUESTION

ahem

That mock US carrier Iran built has sunk

Right outside an important but really shallow harbor

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
<fat DJ gif>

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

THAT'S NOT EVEN RELEVANT TO MY QUESTION

ahem

That mock US carrier Iran built has sunk

Right outside an important but really shallow harbor

Perfect.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

david_a posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvql2kUQn9w

The standards for "do we want to start a war with Russia" are probably a bit higher than "do we want to start a war with Iran" though

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

What's the opening poem? It sounds very familiar, but I'm having trouble locating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

brains posted:

It took me way too long to remember what this is from.