Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Traditionally PT finals have been a best of 5 (2 non-sideboarded games to start, followed by up to 3 sideboarded games).

Arena probably can't handle that though, so they're making do with what they've got (which is best-of-3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

Every time a player says “combo” when they mean “synergy” Yawgmoth compleats a kitten
can confirm

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I missed mythic in July partially because I was working mad hours for the first 24 days but mostly because I hate and suck at M21 limited. I have no excuse for being as bad as I am after this many reps, I watch and read lords of limited and draftsim. I just loving can’t stand this format and it isn’t clicking at all. My gem stockpile is depleting and I am salty about it, especially since I loved Ikoria so much I finished May in the top 1000.
Boo. Get here soon, Amonkhet Remastered, and save me from this format.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Free gems in today's daily deal

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magic Underwear posted:

Holy cow Goblins Devilish rocks fools in jumpstart. Monocolor, overlapping synergies, good creatures and no dead cards. Also muxus. And two treason effects to cover its sole weakness to beef. Stealing a baneslayer angel and sac'ing it to pump my guy is the most crushing play I've had for a while

Sup fellow monocolor goblins goon! I'm still rocking Seismic Goblins...but I got the version with Krenko which is even better than the one with Muxus IMO.

Not being able to replace the two CIPT lands with mountains is sometimes annoying tho

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m gonna be too busy watching basketball and dying of heat stoke in a garden to play today but good luck in the open today everyone!!!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Looks like mono white auras is kicking rear end in the open today, people aren't really prepared for it.

Goblins not doing too hot, seems like everyone tuned for it as the Bo1 Boogeyman.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That owns, Nick Prince and Bryan Gottleib both called Mono-W Auras as the sleeper call for Bo1 because no one has a plan for it G1 and then its too late.

Edit: here’s the deck
https://twitter.com/kbolmagic/status/1289591271871266818?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 1, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Haven't gone in for the event yet, I assume you can enter day one as many times as you want but have to pay each time?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Mono black also seems like a good call.

I was trying out a list in Bo1 ladder and Phyrexian Obliterator is OP when everyone is running damage based removal.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a new user I think Arena is so much better than MTGO. Just lightyears beyond. I hope they move completely over to the platform ASAP.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Internet went out a few picks into pack two, so I've got a lovely pile to try and make something playable out of.

I think 18 lands is correct, because I really need to hit my colours, and I feel screwing dooms me more than anything, but with excavator and double GftA that could be overcautious?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NaanViolence posted:

As a new user I think Arena is so much better than MTGO. Just lightyears beyond. I hope they move completely over to the platform ASAP.

pros:

-It looks better
-cheaper if you're a casual constructed player
-bigger audience for streamers

cons:

-you can't cash out like on mtgo, you can't even "dust" your stuff like in hearthstone
-possibly more expensive in the long run if you're a pro or a high-level brewer since you need access to all the mythics
-the flashiness of the graphics can be less appealing to pros
-doesn't support most formats

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Ended up going 6-3 with Bo1 Rec. So tempted to try again, but that's how they get me. I just know another time and I'd go 0-3.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Klowner posted:

pros:

-It looks better

cons:

-you can't cash out like on mtgo, you can't even "dust" your stuff like in hearthstone
-possibly more expensive in the long run if you're a pro or a high-level brewer since you need access to all the mythics
-the flashiness of the graphics can be less appealing to pros
-doesn't support most formats

Don't forget that you don't need to pay real money (in one form or another) to enter events and laddering is always free

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The Klowner posted:

pros:

-It looks better

I think you're underselling that second point. If you just want to play games with your janky standard deck, you can do that 24/7 on Arena for free - and it'll match you against other bad players playing stupid garbage. You could technically, theoretically do the same on MODO, but it was always difficult to find a game (unless you were in the "competitive testing" rooms and had an in-meta deck). People in "free" games were perpetually quitting/raging because your deck was too bad/good/"uncreative"/blue/weird. Automatic, skill/deck-based matchmaking (and a steady drip of daily rewards for playing) means casual play is viable on Arena in a way it never was on MODO.

And your daily rewards are enough to open a pack or do a draft once in a while. I play as much Magic as I want, and it's free.

Arena also has some big advantages for streamers/stream-viewers. I come in and out of Magic every few years, and the plugin that shows cards in streams is a godsend when you've been away for a while. Once Arena supports some more stream-friendly formats (eg. an expanded "historic cube"), I think we'll see fewer and fewer MODO streams.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If you play every day you can support what I call a "pack-a-day habit". You get just about 1 booster a day if you win 4 games, do the daily quest, and collect the end of season packs and use your F2P gold on the occasional discounted packs and gems. Absolutely possible to do everything you want as F2P. You can even spin up an alt account to blow wildcards on a dream jank deck without running out on the main account.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like the Arena interface is massively better. I have yet to run out of time or lose because I clicked something wrong. That was a constant experience when I was new to MTGO.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Highlight of the Pro Tour:

https://twitter.com/nalkpas/status/1289685605123670019

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
made day 2 of the open with some budget tempered steel deck that i copypasted from mtggoldfish this morning. budgetary concerns weren't really the issue, i just thought it was funny to play ~30 draft-unplayable cards in a constructed deck. it was pretty good at flying over field of the dead decks without sideboards

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I mean the Bo1 format is really designed to favor die rolls and goldfishes so the best thing you can do is play as linear a deck as possible and go first.

It will get more ‘bad’ decks and less skilled players to day 2, and cause more entries, so I’d expect this to be the format for these going forward. For their goals it is really well designed.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
thank you wizards for supporting me and all the other low skill bad deck players of the world

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Big Leg posted:

thank you wizards for supporting me and all the other low skill bad deck players of the world

Obviously it wasn’t meant as a commentary on you or anyone else who does well, I don’t even play the things, it had just been discussed a bunch on some streams I was watching. There’s a certain joy in seeing top players like Seth Mansfield just get repeatedly crushed and have to keep rebuying.

I expect the day 1 meta to be fairly diverse in terms of finishes, and I bet temur rec gets something absurd like 50 percent of all day two wins.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 2, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Big Leg posted:

You came into the thread bragging about jamming a netdeck that had the advanced strategy of "dump creatures click big orange button"

This event is like the WSOP- you're going to see some pros, sure, but you're also going to see some randos who got lucky too because it's ostensibly a luck-based event. Which is why, like New Brain, I avoid it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO at “All Luck! NO SKILL!”-ing the dude who made Day 2 of a cash event while you cower in fear from imaginary die rolls and getting Zerg rushed by goblins.

Goongratulations and GL on Day 2! Might I suggest you play a new deck!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO at “All Luck! NO SKILL!”-ing the dude who made Day 2 of a cash event while you cower in fear from imaginary die rolls and getting Zerg rushed by goblins.

Goongratulations and GL on Day 2! Might I suggest you play a new deck!

:jerkbag:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Personally I’d be all about it if it was limited. Sealed day one into draft day two would be great, although I’m sure it would be a logistical nightmare to work in any kind of draft.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Marketing New Brain posted:

Personally I’d be all about it if it was limited. Sealed day one into draft day two would be great, although I’m sure it would be a logistical nightmare to work in any kind of draft.

Oh drat it’s one of the people who like Sealed! In the Wild! Don’t startle them! Leave a salt lick by this tree stump and we’ll come back later to see if they took it!!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
sorry i was trying to make a self deprecating joke; i was not offended by your statement and i understood what you were saying Marketing New Brain. i just wanted to post a sentence or two about how me and my friend Locthwain Gargoyle spent our day

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
What's wrong with sealed?
It's great, you don't have to deal with other people yelling at you because you "stole their card", you don't need a half dozen people to even have a game night. A buddy of mine would split a box of boosters and do sealed deck games on weeknights.

Hey this salt lick is good stuff

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I really do love Dominara as a format. You can create the weirdest jank.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Big Leg posted:

sorry i was trying to make a self deprecating joke; i was not offended by your statement and i understood what you were saying Marketing New Brain. i just wanted to post a sentence or two about how me and my friend Locthwain Gargoyle spent our day

Sealed is my favorite limited format. Being given a toolbox and having to figure out the most effective deck from those parts is more satisfying to me than snatching up goodstuff in draft. Also prerelease is all sealed and prerelease is some of the most fun I’ve had with magic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sealed is a really nice casual format (other than being relatively expensive per-event), it has some severe issues if you want to use it in high-stakes competition though.

If you're the type to crack packs just for cards then inviting some friends over and playing some sealed games with them lets you have that casual fun without the expense (since you were going to open the packs anyway)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Control matchups are fun atm.

Pictured: opponent committing honorable sudoku via Uro attack trigger.

Bonus edit: the Spyglass is naming Sparkhunter Masticore.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 2, 2020

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sealed is excellent for competitive events. It's hella fun and it's also amusing when some people lose and then pretend that there's less skill involved than in draft.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NaanViolence posted:

Sealed is excellent for competitive events. It's hella fun and it's also amusing when some people lose and then pretend that there's less skill involved than in draft.
:hmmyes: it is very skilled to crack a bomb and "build a deck" around it i.e. put the good cards of that bomb's colors in with 17 lands. Yes, extremely skilled in both deckbuilding and play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sealed absolutely requires less Thought/skill than draft, you literally just sort your cards into colors and pick whichever pile looks most like a deck. It’s got like 50 fewer decisions for you to make, by definition.

Playing the sealed games is harder than playing the draft games, IMO, because people can have ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Someone came in here proud of their genuinely difficult accomplishment and you, with zero provocation, responded "actually you're bad, and I am intellectually superior for choosing to not even attempt the thing you were successful at."

lol that you think you have any sort of high ground whatsoever to call other people jerks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Here’s a Lurrus Aura’s deck from the Historic Open yesterday that is basically only 8 cards off from my paper Pioneer deck, so I’ll be getting a playset of spirit dancer this week for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

14 creatures seems kinda low, no?