Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was thinking more this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't that mostly just the normal Chocobo theme that FF has going on? I remember it being jarring back in FF7, maybe even FFT. It's garish, but it is what it is.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Serephina posted:

Isn't that mostly just the normal Chocobo theme that FF has going on?

It is not, good friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrXaU2T5is

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmF2HA04THc

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's definitely based on a familiar tune from FF6 unless my memory is totally off.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

the co-op theme makes me think the developers envisioned co-op as a kind of Baby Mode you used to get out of a tight spot, rather than something you use continuously. not that that makes sense, but it makes more sense than the alternative

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's the chocobo theme meets the Palmtree Panic music from Sonic CD with constant random non-musical noise added - slide whistles, squeaky toys, children babbling, cartoon owl hoots, you name it, it's here.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Well I guess that's one way to remove the song stuck in my head

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

this sounds like what toons from looney tunes hear in their head constantly at all times and that's why they are so crazy

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What distinguishes a mystery dungeon from a regular roguelike? I like the idea of a coop roguelike, there aren't a ton of them out there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

It removes the card collecting and battling minigame, which isn't related to the meat of the game but it WAS pretty fun, and playing co-op changes the music inescapably to this horror:

https://youtu.be/M4ZQ3LvxW9E?t=20

loving majestic.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

A Strange Aeon posted:

What distinguishes a mystery dungeon from a regular roguelike? I like the idea of a coop roguelike, there aren't a ton of them out there.

Nothing in particular, they're generally built using the same mechanics so they have a recognizable feel to them but they're all regular roguelikes.

Chocobo has coop but it's not really designed around it - in normal gameplay you can have an AI helper who moves and attacks automatically, and has one special skill they can use on command. In coop mode player 2 controls them but player 1 is still the only one with inventory access and a full skill list, and player 2 can't leave the screen p1 is on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Very little. Shiren the Wanderer is literally just a traditional roguelike but Japanese and with graphics.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's a subgenre/brand. Mystery dungeon games, the majority of which are developed by Spike Chunsoft, are roguelikes which feature
- full animated graphics
- a control scheme adapted for consoles--for example, rather than pressing an arrow key to attack, you press an arrow key to face the enemy and then a button to attack
- (In most cases) Many dungeons, and full metaprogression between dungeons--you keep level, items, etc. upon loss or clear
- Various stock mechanics, items, etc.

Co-op isn't a standard feature.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

It removes the card collecting and battling minigame, which isn't related to the meat of the game but it WAS pretty fun, and playing co-op changes the music inescapably to this horror:

https://youtu.be/M4ZQ3LvxW9E?t=20

That seems like such an obvious toggle in an options screen.

This makes me think of the dreadful music in Tokyo Jungle which had no music volume slider and it really hurt an otherwise interesting little roguelite game.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Deathstate is also on Switch and it's extremely good!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
And Neurovoider, which is good but not great.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Atomicrops is on the Switch and I actually prefer it to Gungeon in the twin-stick roguelite category, although I will warn you that it gets extremely hectic. Gungeon is more polished but I find Atomicrops' loop of fighting for farm upgrades to net more harvest money to buy better guns to better protect your farm very compelling. It's on sale right now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh yeah i should go back to it i got it back when it was early acess and was waiting for more updates

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Shiren seems to place a unique emphasis on item management and upgrades. i seem to recall that bringing an upgraded sword to the end of the main dungeon was pretty drat important.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah i would say that the distinguishing feature of a "mystery dungeon" is a persistent framing world around the dungeon(s). not metaprogression in the sense of bonus stats or item unlocks, but the ability to preserve some items for a later run.

this has sort of blurred over time as western roguelikes started using this feature - Dungeonmans is, in some sense, a mystery dungeon. meanwhile, some games labeled mystery dungeon have delved far deeper into the metaprogression in ways that take them into roguelite territory, like the pokemon ones.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Now you’ve got me stuck thinking about a PokeMans crossover

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd play an actual pokemon roguelike

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
This thread reminded me to pick In Celebration Of Violence back up and it's real good now, got my first endboss clear.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LordSloth posted:

Now you’ve got me stuck thinking about a PokeMans crossover

pointsofdata posted:

I'd play an actual pokemon roguelike

are you people loving with me? pokemon mystery dungeon has been a thing for years

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

are you people loving with me? pokemon mystery dungeon has been a thing for years

I meant something that was pretty faithful to the normal pokemon combat etc, although mystery dungeon does look closer than I thought

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

I meant something that was pretty faithful to the normal pokemon combat etc, although mystery dungeon does look closer than I thought

roguelike structure + jrpg combat is one of the big holes in the genre, imo. are there any actual standalone games that do it? the ancient cave in lufia 2 is literally the closest thing i can think of.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

Apparently yes, I am. I was just making a wordplay based off of DungeonmAns. With an A. There would be a PikaMans, and a MewMans, and a ChariMans, and now I’ve been forced to run a joke that started dead further into the ground. I’m no ComediMan. And oh god this has gone sour. I’ll leave the mans jokes to mad jack

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This thread reminded me to pick In Celebration Of Violence back up and it's real good now, got my first endboss clear.

Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to purchase this game on steam. It is 100% my poo poo. If you're into roguelikes with little to no explanation it's just wonderful. :3

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Anybody ever played Barony? Saw it free on Epic Games, so I picked it up. It's like a first person real-time fantasy Roguelike. I've only touched the training trials so far, but game seems pretty polished.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wish I'd known about In Celebration of Violence in March, when it was on sale for $0.95.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Jeza posted:

Anybody ever played Barony? Saw it free on Epic Games, so I picked it up. It's like a first person real-time fantasy Roguelike. I've only touched the training trials so far, but game seems pretty polished.

I’ve played it. I’ve only a few words for you.

loving Minotaur. Boulder Trap? :lol:

Any questions?

I do actually have other things to say, but I’m going for the throwaway joke because it is also the best part of watching someone else play this game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I grabbed Barony from the EGS freebie too, did a few of the trials and then went to try the game actual. Didn't even get through the first floor on my first two attempts. The game seems quite cool and has some interesting systems for sure, but the fighting seems tediously excessively punishing on first impression. Even what seem like the most basic enemies will kill you in a few hits, and they attack pretty fast. And I was playing the Warrior who should be the toughest character out of the gate.

It does have co-op, which might be pretty interesting to try.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Nordick posted:

I grabbed Barony from the EGS freebie too, did a few of the trials and then went to try the game actual. Didn't even get through the first floor on my first two attempts. The game seems quite cool and has some interesting systems for sure, but the fighting seems tediously excessively punishing on first impression. Even what seem like the most basic enemies will kill you in a few hits, and they attack pretty fast. And I was playing the Warrior who should be the toughest character out of the gate.

It does have co-op, which might be pretty interesting to try.

Yeah, seems quite tough. Even in the Trials, block into attack into block seems difficult to pull off regularly. Or maybe it's just old man reactions. I figured I'll go into ranged, but often enemies take a lot of pummelling and backpedalling is not much of an option. Bit early to give a verdict though.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Barony is tons of fun and if you can get out of the early game super-weak stage the fights become slightly less punishing. They're always somewhat dangerous especially if you get caught by surprise but you'll eventually reach a point where you don't feel like every single engagement is likely to end your life.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

My primary piece of advice for Barony is travel light. It's very easy to let encumbrance build up to dangerous levels since you don't get your typical clearly delineated status effect.

Especially if you have the Minotaur turned on, it makes a huge difference if you shed a bit of weight from time to time.

I've pretty much entirely given up on blocking, I'm just no good at the timing. I've found other ways to survive.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Edit: I'm a dumbass and posted this in response to someone looking for Switch games and misread. Leaving it anyway, since more people need to play these.

I'm sure I've mentioned both of these before in this thread, and I really don't understand why they don't get more attention because they're both kind of awesome, especially if you're a first-person fan.
Both of them are old-school dungeon crawlers and also basically created by one person, which kind of blows my mind every time it happens. Both of them are also procedural, and the procedural part seems to be done pretty well, without a lot of the jank you often see when you go down that road.

Delver is no longer in early access, but I believe (?) the dev is still tweaking things. It has an old-school crunchy pixels kinda feel to it. I managed to beat it a couple of years ago, but it's had a lot of lovin' since then and I need to get back into it again.

Slasher's Keep is still early access, but very playable right now--there's a bit of min/max metaprogression that you can do, and the first real sticking point (for me at least) is the boss a few levels in. I've gotten nuked so far upon reaching that boss, but I'm getting closer to taking it down. The graphics have a cool cartoon animation feel to them and are more modern feeling than Delver.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I picked up Delver when it came out of early access, but it kept crashing on me so I refunded it. Didn't even get to play it long enough to really get a feel for it.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I picked up Delver when it came out of early access, but it kept crashing on me so I refunded it. Didn't even get to play it long enough to really get a feel for it.

I've never had any crashing issues? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Delver has always been a bit unstable for me. After EA there was a long period where the game would just insta crash when launching and doing the usual stuff wouldn't help. Another patch just disabled all sound completely. Eventually further patches fixed everything but we're talking months of the game being broken (for me at least). It's a cool game so I just shrug when its being funky. It has some fun mods too.

I thought Slasher's Keep was super thin content wise. The combat system has some cool ideas but 30-40 mins in I was already getting bored so I refunded.

I've never heard anyone talk about Drawngeon which is another clever first person roguelike and also a bit thin content wise but it was also incredibly cheap when I bought it.