Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

I didn't know they put all 3 seasons of Wakfu on Netflix so I guess I'm watching that at some point

They sent me the Blu-ray from the kickstarter a while back even though I never backed for it

Be sure to watch it in French. Tragically the English dub is atrocious despite all the effort put into the kickstarter.

Also be sure to catch Dofus and it's movie when you get the chance because I think they're low-key the superior product. It's only on VRV as far as I can tell but it's well worth getting the subscription for a month to see it.

E: Apparently it's not on VRV anymore so just steal it I guess??? :shrug:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

With both of them, they still stuck around in the industry but they never really got to helm another big show in the US.

Feiss's credits post Cow and Chicken are either writing or storyboard credits. He was head of story for Open Season and he did get to helm a localized adaptation of a Korean kids show called YooHoo & Friends for CN Latin America and Australia and also on Boomerang. Flavor Flav apparently voiced a narrator-type character for the series

Van Partible (who is Filipino which is a wild thing to learn for someone who is also Filipino) produced some minor stuff for other companies after Johnny Bravo ended and somehow ended up as an Executive Producer for CN Asia's original programming. He recently directed something called Pete the Cat for Amazon and also teaches workshops on animation at Loyola

It's hard to tell why they never got a chance to helm another show. Whether it was because they couldn't get another pilot off of the ground, or because they wanted a less hectic job, or some other reason. Both of them at least seemed to have careers in show business still according to IMDB

John Dilworth, the creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog is much sparser in terms of credits post series and it's weird. He's also made some pilots and did some assistant storyboarding for My Lfie as a Teenage Robot, but beyond that it's largely short films it seems. Here's his studio's website for the curious http://www.stretchfilms.com/. Not a lot, but his twitter on the other hand...oof. (https://twitter.com/DillyDilworth)

yeah, i didn't mean they left the industry per se, just that they never spearheaded anything on the same level as those shows ever again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Had a realisation about Zuko Alone's ending; the whole plot is Zuko beats a deadbeat band of soldiers extorting an Earth Kingdom town under the pretense of protecting them. But the ending, where Zuko proclaims himself as the prince of the Fire Nation, proves the villagers' worst fears- a lone Fire Nation noble successfully infiltrated their village and defeated its defenders with little effort, without even using his firebending. I get the feeling Zuko realises basically that right after his demonstration- as far as the villagers are concerned, he's the enemy, and he's just rubbing it in their faces.

makes me wonder if they would have been more accepting of him if they didn't know he was prince of the fire nation and just some random fire bender.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, i didn't mean they left the industry per se, just that they never spearheaded anything on the same level as those shows ever again.

makes me wonder if they would have been more accepting of him if they didn't know he was prince of the fire nation and just some random fire bender.

I don't think it would have made a big difference. Remember one of the plot points is that bending is basically pretty tied in with nationalism at this point, and it's a new and unusual thing for say, Earthbending inhabitants of occupied areas of the Earth Kingdom to identify more with the Fire Nation. An Earth Kingdom village in the middle of the war has no reason to believe a Firebender is on their side. This also ties in with the trouble Aang has with Firebending.

The choreography of Avatar is the real star of the show for the most part. One of the more interesting little details is the larger war scenes with Firebenders fighting in large formations; unlike the close formations you'd expect from the tech level of the setting, Firebenders are spread out a set distance and attack in waves. They've basically invented their own version of pike and shot, as you'd expect from users of a magical power most useful for throwing fiery projectiles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Which ties into one of Korra's big issues, it's choreography is honestly kinda garbage compared to Last Airbender, especially in regards to Bending

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do get the impression they missed the point of what made their own show popular. Especially since it dove eagerly into Teen Drama.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah, korra's fighting choreogarphy never grabbed me like TLA's did. TLA's stands up with the best among even anime, imo.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it would have made a big difference. Remember one of the plot points is that bending is basically pretty tied in with nationalism at this point, and it's a new and unusual thing for say, Earthbending inhabitants of occupied areas of the Earth Kingdom to identify more with the Fire Nation. An Earth Kingdom village in the middle of the war has no reason to believe a Firebender is on their side. This also ties in with the trouble Aang has with Firebending.

all that's true, i just figured they may have given him SOME leeway, considering he saved the kid's life.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

oh man i forgot about the goth librarian and now i'm hankering for season 2 even more

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, korra's fighting choreogarphy never grabbed me like TLA's did. TLA's stands up with the best among even anime, imo.

all that's true, i just figured they may have given him SOME leeway, considering he saved the kid's life.

One good deed won't undo what one nation has done to yours for hundreds of years. There's some implications in Korra that the Fire Nation is still reeling from the after effects from the Hundred Years' War.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Be sure to watch it in French. Tragically the English dub is atrocious despite all the effort put into the kickstarter.
Didn't they change up the dub for season 3 though and it got a lot better because they got a bunch of established VAs? I vaguely recall hearing that and thinking "why didn't they just go back and redub seasons 1-2"

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

My nieces have been visiting this week, and they've been enjoying Craig of the Creek via the Cartoon Network app. For no discernable reason, CN seems to have removed all but 5 episodes of season 2. Is there anywhere else I can stream it for them?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Hilda's back in autumn according to twitter.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It took a while, but I really enjoy The Owl House. I wonder if Luz stays oblivious to Amities super obvious crush on her. Also I kinda wonder how explicit they will make it. It is still a Disney show after all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

cant cook creole bream posted:

It took a while, but I really enjoy The Owl House. I wonder if Luz stays oblivious to Amities super obvious crush on her. Also I kinda wonder how explicit they will make it. It is still a Disney show after all.

Apparently an upcoming episode has "prom" in the name. Hard to say just how much will happen, though.

Also, Willow has two dads.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it feels like we crossed a threshold somewhere where if that's the direction they go disney would probably roll with it. also hooty is the best character

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The latest episodes led to a question: Does Amity dye her hair or do people in the Blight family just get green hair when they hit a certain age?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

The latest episodes led to a question: Does Amity dye her hair or do people in the Blight family just get green hair when they hit a certain age?

the brown roots would implies she colors it (maybe to match her family?) but also who knows what that process looks like, what with magic

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Apparently an upcoming episode has "prom" in the name. Hard to say just how much will happen, though.

Also, Willow has two dads.

Thinking about it again, I am a bit unsure if it's actually one sided. Luz was kinda obsessed with befriending her and is acting nervously dorky around her. On the other hand they're like the only two people who love that presumably trashy fantasy series and they are both giant nerds, so I guess that is a big incentive to befriend someone. Also Luz is the outspoken POV character but did not mention anything of the sort. Of course she might just not realize it.
But Amities feelings are downright obvious and it's basically impossible that this isn't overtly intended by the author.
They're kinda sweet together, and there are some great facial expressions, so I don't mind.

It is interesting how Amity has basically hogged most of the character development and backstory. Especially since she was introduced like some generic mean girl archetype. We know roughly as much about her as about Eda. And honestly, we barely know anything about Luz or her past. I guess it's because you can fill in the blanks with generic human upbringings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, there's functionally no external difference between close platonic friendships and young romance without any active sexual aspects, especially at the age where everyone is extra awkward and uncomfortable about every interaction and its greater social context, and they might not even have the concepts carved out separately in their minds anyways. Owl House is Y/A as hell, so who knows what's gonna happen. It's not surprising people have latched onto it in the same way they do with other Y/A stuff.

Amphibia is still pretty fun, and apparently the Toad dominion was done under vassalage to the Newts, which seems like it could lead to something interesting when the Plantars get to Newtopia. Hop-Pop might not be done with his career as a revolutionary. Or as a political prisoner, come to think of it.

Also Ann's betrayal has pushed Sasha to care a lot more about the world she's stuck in just as Ann is headed towards figuring out how to leave.

And giant robot, that's gotta lead to something good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Season 2 of Amphibia's also got Joe Johnston (who's probably one of the most well regarded of the storyboard artists on Steven Universe that became one of the crew members to be promoted to being a director after Ian JQ left) as one of the directors, so that's neat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the feeling The Owl House is probably doing the same thing as Gravity Falls with exploring the audience identification characters before getting into the adults, since a lot of their past and motivations likely tie into the larger world and plot. They're definitely signalling that Eda is basically someone like Luz all grown up, with very similar quirks and interests tempered with experience.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm finding it really hard to get the second half of Owl House in the UK, I thought it'd be on disney+ (or on Sky) but it doesn't seem to be.
What the hell, Disney?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling The Owl House is probably doing the same thing as Gravity Falls with exploring the audience identification characters before getting into the adults, since a lot of their past and motivations likely tie into the larger world and plot. They're definitely signalling that Eda is basically someone like Luz all grown up, with very similar quirks and interests tempered with experience.

They certainly look like they're committing to finishing Pacifica Northwest's started-but-abandoned redemption arc using Amity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Thinking about it again, I am a bit unsure if it's actually one sided. Luz was kinda obsessed with befriending her and is acting nervously dorky around her. On the other hand they're like the only two people who love that presumably trashy fantasy series and they are both giant nerds, so I guess that is a big incentive to befriend someone. Also Luz is the outspoken POV character but did not mention anything of the sort. Of course she might just not realize it.
But Amities feelings are downright obvious and it's basically impossible that this isn't overtly intended by the author.
They're kinda sweet together, and there are some great facial expressions, so I don't mind.

It is interesting how Amity has basically hogged most of the character development and backstory. Especially since she was introduced like some generic mean girl archetype. We know roughly as much about her as about Eda. And honestly, we barely know anything about Luz or her past. I guess it's because you can fill in the blanks with generic human upbringings.

Any sort of affection or attraction is definitely a one sided thing by Amity it seems like, but she seems to be a fairly repressed person with high expectations in upbringing that her older siblings seem to have shirked (or also suffer under and escape via being troublemakers of their own).

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, there's functionally no external difference between close platonic friendships and young romance without any active sexual aspects, especially at the age where everyone is extra awkward and uncomfortable about every interaction and its greater social context, and they might not even have the concepts carved out separately in their minds anyways. Owl House is Y/A as hell, so who knows what's gonna happen. It's not surprising people have latched onto it in the same way they do with other Y/A stuff.

There's definitely a lot of this though. Luz might only understand romance in other people and not in herself.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luz is so deep into elaborate fanfiction shipping romance that she's oblivious to the real thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Luz is so deep into elaborate fanfiction shipping romance that she's oblivious to the real thing.

A very familiar kind of person.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was reminded randomly of Invader Zim and that a big thing with Zim and Dib is that they're very similar people; both egotistical weirdos with near-nonexistent social skills concerned with foiling one another not for the good of their respective societies but more for individual glory, and/or proving they're not worthless. The movie actually highlights a difference here, as Zim is brought to despair and particularly dangerous plots realising the Tallest he devotes his entire existence to attempt to please really just don't consider him a priority in the slightest, while Dib's big moment is learning that his father does in fact love and respect him unconditionally despite not believing him about the whole alien invader thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7FySIfypLc

I guess this is part of the reason why Milo Murphy's Law hasn't had new eps in a while. Still seems sorta weird that it'd got another movie so long after the series ended, but I guess it's still popular.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A clip of a song from the movie came out a week ago as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgPnImPgm_4

I like P+F, and I'm sure a high-budget movie will be pretty good, but I'm not sure how much they can do with the extra time and budget, just since they've already done pretty much every shakeup to their usual status quo that they could do already, and that's usually what movies of TV shows do to justify themselves.

Also the character designs look a little weird when the movie does more elaborate camera angles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Ren & Stimpy is coming back eventually (thankfully this time without John K):

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020...M9j1Xm22NcuCOis

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like P+F, and I'm sure a high-budget movie will be pretty good, but I'm not sure how much they can do with the extra time and budget, just since they've already done pretty much every shakeup to their usual status quo that they could do already, and that's usually what movies of TV shows do to justify themselves.

They've never really done anything that involved Phineas and Ferb meeting Doof and working together with him. (Night of the Living Pharmacists and Across the Second Dimension both had that to an extent, but it wasn't the main focus the way it is here.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Why, though?

Like, death of the author aside, the last go at it was pretty universally panned as being awful. And a revival is just going to bring more attention to John K’s history of being a sex pest for people who weren’t already familiar with that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

So apparently Ren & Stimpy is coming back eventually (thankfully this time without John K):

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020...M9j1Xm22NcuCOis

A new generation of people realizing that Ren and Stimpy kind of sucked 95% of the time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

...Why, though?

Like, death of the author aside, the last go at it was pretty universally panned as being awful. And a revival is just going to bring more attention to John K’s history of being a sex pest for people who weren’t already familiar with that.

Like Bevis and Butthead and Clone High are beloved at different levels so revivals for them make some sense. But, tmk, I don't know if there's anyone exactly fond of Ren and Stimpy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There definitely were people who loved Ren & Stimpy ardently, but between the awful reboot and John K being outed as a sexual predator, plus time, I have to imagine it's a small group now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

A new generation of people realizing that Ren and Stimpy kind of sucked 95% of the time.

seriously

there are older properties that i don't care for, but i don't have any strong protestations against revivals. ren and stimpy however, is one of the worst pieces of animation ever created. it's something that's only known for it's gross out, shock "humor", like family guy, except the latter can actually be funny some times, which is more than i could have ever say about R&S.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fractalairduct posted:

They've never really done anything that involved Phineas and Ferb meeting Doof and working together with him. (Night of the Living Pharmacists and Across the Second Dimension both had that to an extent, but it wasn't the main focus the way it is here.)

Yeah, and what little we do see if that is actually an interesting dynamic. Especially since this isn't a case of teaming up with a supervillain anymore, since Doof has reformed, but they have different styles of mad science.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

...Why, though?

Yeah Ren and Stimpy is a pretty useless property. There is no point in Ren and Stimpy without the John K-ness, but there's also no point in bringing back John K. This is going to be a disaster.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the plus side this is going to give a lot of people work in a time where jobs are at a premium

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

drrockso20 posted:

On the plus side this is going to give a lot of people work in a time where jobs are at a premium

On the minus, they’re being hired to rehash a show that now has a fuckton of baggage attached to it, instead of getting a chance to take a chance with whipping up another new show.

Yeah, yeah, I know that the network wants to play it safe, but... maybe at least remake another show that wasn’t created by a guy that they’ve been busy trying to scrub out of their history as much as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

On the minus, they’re being hired to rehash a show that now has a fuckton of baggage attached to it, instead of getting a chance to take a chance with whipping up another new show.

Yeah, yeah, I know that the network wants to play it safe, but... maybe at least remake another show that wasn’t created by a guy that they’ve been busy trying to scrub out of their history as much as possible?

Eh sometimes you just have to roll with the cards that have been dealt