Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bands similar to ISIS, please

Neurosis was one of their big influences, but they may not be exactly what you're looking for. Check out Through Silver in Blood, which is generally regarded as their best album. Same for Godflesh, who peaked with Streetcleaner.

Last.fm's bio has this quote, which you may find useful:

quote:

The distinctive tone of material since and including Oceanic had a noticeable impact on avant-garde metal, helping develop the sound of several contemporaries; Cult of Luna, Pelican, Tides, Rosetta, and Russian Circles all cite Isis as an influence. This underground success attracted the attention of the likes of Mogwai, with whom they have toured on numerous occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Al Shabab, Boko Haram, Jemaah Islamiyah

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Most similar I can think, post metally with both clean and heavy vocals would be Mouth of the Architect, folk always say Cult of Luna too, and their latest album with Julie Christmas is fantastic. Omega massif does have some isisy vibes but is all instrumental.

Other heavy post metal stuff that may or may not be what you're after
Lightbearer
Russian Circles
Asian Death Crustacean

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Jesu would be another good one to check out, as well as Red Sparowes and Windmills by the Ocean, both of which have/had members in common with Isis.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Pelican are pretty much ISIS Jr. but instrumental and like it was mentioned above, if you've never listened to "Through Silver in Blood" by Neurosis that should absolutely be stop #1.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sumac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92LO1qspYs
aaron turner from isis and the drummer from russian circles

aaron turner is in old man gloom too, check them out as well

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm looking for tracks/artists/albums similar to this:
https://youtu.be/0etenwnI1wo
Specifically once the drums really kick in (try about 4:40 to get an idea).

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

kinda reminds me of the battle-themed music from FTL:
https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/ftl

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
What is some good Psychedelic but heavy metal? Like, I don't really want vocals, but minimal vocals is on. Something trippy with fuzzy lead guitar tone.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Check out Organasm. I don't remember how vocals-oriented it is, but it checks all of your other boxes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

excellent bird guy posted:

What is some good Psychedelic but heavy metal? Like, I don't really want vocals, but minimal vocals is on. Something trippy with fuzzy lead guitar tone.

Earthless

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ufomammut. I have encountered people who don’t even realize they have vocals.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

SLEEP is pretty much the pinnacle of psychedelic metal to me (i guess it would be stoner metal). They have lyrics in some parts of their stuff, but there's often long 20 minute stretches of pure buzzsaw guitar. I suppose start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc

There's also Electric Wizard. Lyrics here too, but not too invasive.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipzg6G6IBYQ

if you want something real dark, try Bell Witch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10q1ZJyLXFk

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Salem's Pot, for sure. Some of their tracks, not so much but check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QOui71WIQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7oNz8jdgBE

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I bounce off metal hard, but "Reign in Blood" is one of the best albums ever. Where should I go next? I tend to bounce off Guitar Shop Employee "more notes = better" metal in particular, and Metallica dont seem to understand the value of not spending 4 minutes of a song making music for sad cowboys who ride a lonely steel horse before getting to the good parts.

Other metal I've enjoyed has included Ministry and Melvins, and maybe Dinosaur Jr if you are pushing the definition hard. I've also enjoyed the likes of Lightning Bolt, DFA 1979 and Deathscalator.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 2, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Which Metallica have you listened to? They've made several big changes in sound at various points in their career, and the stuff they were putting out around the time of Reign in Blood definitely put them in the same ballpark.

Metallica and Slayer were half of the big four of thrash metal. The other two were Megadeth and Anthrax, and they might be worth checking out. For Megadeth, start with either Peace Sells... or Rust in Peace. For Anthrax, start with Among the Living. If you like other of those, there might be some other thrash or speed metal acts worth checking out.

Ministry is generally considered more industrial than metal. The list of similar artists from last.fm is a good place to start.

Melvins get lumped with stoner, doom and sludge but they're not exactly in any of those genres. What's your take on early Alice in Chains?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I bounce off metal hard, but "Reign in Blood" is one of the best albums ever. Where should I go next? I tend to bounce off Guitar Shop Employee "more notes = better" metal in particular, and Metallica dont seem to understand the value of not spending 4 minutes of a song making music for sad cowboys who ride a lonely steel horse before getting to the good parts.

The first Metallica album is not like that! Much more purely fun thrash. Honestly if you love Reign in Blood you should just dive into the heaviest, most pummeling poo poo, such as Demolition Hammer or Morbid Saint. If you enjoy those, get back to me and I can start throwing out death metal recs. Vocals are often an acquired taste but if you like Slayer you should have no problem enjoying Possessed or the first couple of Death albums.

quote:

Other metal I've enjoyed has included...maybe Dinosaur Jr if you are pushing the definition hard. I've also enjoyed the likes of Lightning Bolt, DFA 1979 and Deathscalator.

You're getting way far away from the metal genre at this point (though J Mascis does like metal and plays drums in a doom band called Witch). What you're looking for here is noise rock. Nobody really sounds like Lightning Bolt but some of that manic energy can be found in Melt-Banana.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Lots of good recommendations above, currently enjoying Morbid Saint, so more along those lines would be cool. And yeah, you made the bell chime that I might be more of a noise guy, but weirdly have never properly explored Melt Banana! Thanks both!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vektor is a thrash band i think is pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCsv-zj56s

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Disco Pope posted:

Lots of good recommendations above, currently enjoying Morbid Saint, so more along those lines would be cool. And yeah, you made the bell chime that I might be more of a noise guy, but weirdly have never properly explored Melt Banana! Thanks both!

you should check out Hella, No Age, Part Chimp, An Albatross, and Arab on Radar

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hooplah posted:

Vektor is a thrash band i think is pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCsv-zj56s

Vektor rules but comes with the disclaimer that the main guy is a wife beating piece of poo poo. Just an FYI if that affects your listening habits.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

god dammit, thanks for the heads up. had no idea.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you don't like to separate art from the artist, a lot of metal is going to be problematic at best.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Here's some more thrash and early death metal albums to check out:
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Ulysses Siren - Among the Ashes
Whiplash - Power and Pain
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Atheist - Piece of Time
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Death - Leprosy
Deicide - Deicide

You are also welcome to check in on the metal megathread and learn a whole lot more.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

What you're looking for here is noise rock. Nobody really sounds like Lightning Bolt but some of that manic energy can be found in Melt-Banana.

i saw a local Portland band open for PILE called Sea Moss that scratched that lightning bolt/melt-banana itch, except with less buzzsaw guitar and more beeps n boops.
https://seeseamoss.bandcamp.com/album/bidet-dreaming

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Other metal I've enjoyed has included Ministry and Melvins, and maybe Dinosaur Jr if you are pushing the definition hard. I've also enjoyed the likes of Lightning Bolt, DFA 1979 and Deathscalator.

[swivels around in chair]

have you heard boris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdh2UG1j_0

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Lots of good recommendations above, currently enjoying Morbid Saint, so more along those lines would be cool.

Sadus, Infernal Majesty, Kreator, Slaughter(the canadian one), Sodom, Possessed

Vektor rules but comes with the disclaimer that the main guy is a wife beating piece of poo poo. Just an FYI if that affects your listening habits.

I think even if you don't care about that Vektor is not the best starting recommendation because like all current thrash bands they're hearkening back to 80s stuff when the genre was healthy so you should listen to their influences first.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A human heart posted:

I think even if you don't care about that Vektor is not the best starting recommendation because like all current thrash bands they're hearkening back to 80s stuff when the genre was healthy so you should listen to their influences first.
I just wanted to point out the genre didnt die completely in the 80s but yeah true

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Sadus, Infernal Majesty, Kreator, Slaughter(the canadian one), Sodom, Possessed

They certainly do but they have a far more unique sound than like 99% of modern thrash. But part of that is they just have different influences than most.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's a band other than Origin (who rule) that I should check out if one of my favorite all-time metal albums is Skinless's "Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a band other than Origin (who rule) that I should check out if one of my favorite all-time metal albums is Skinless's "Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead"

Defeated Sanity

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Defeated Sanity

This is a lot muddier than I'm looking for I think. It's brutal as hell but like the vocals aren't as expressive. The vocalist on Trample the Weak who went on to Origin has a fuller sound and the instruments just sound brighter I guess? Defeated Sanity is just past my threshold where I can really appreciate it.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

I loving adore Mythic, Derkéta and Konvent (Rikke’s vocals are so good).
More women in (doom-)death metal please.
No croptop corsets or anything folksy or theatrical. Growly is good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alcyon posted:

I loving adore Mythic, Derkéta and Konvent (Rikke’s vocals are so good).
More women in (doom-)death metal please.
No croptop corsets or anything folksy or theatrical. Growly is good.

Thorr’s Hammer (the double R is important)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

November Grief

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Ladies of Doom Metal is a pretty extensive list of doom metal bands with women on vocals. I don't know how recently it's been updated, but it'll take you a while to work through everything that's there.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Thorr’s Hammer (the double R is important)
Ha! Thanks, but omitted mentioning that was the one other band I already knew&liked. Just one 4 song ep from ‘96 though.

Kvlt! posted:

November Grief
<3 This is very good. I love it! Their one ep from ‘96 (I sense a pattern) is going on repeat tonight.

ultrafilter posted:

The Ladies of Doom Metal is a pretty extensive list of doom metal bands with women on vocals. I don't know how recently it's been updated, but it'll take you a while to work through everything that's there.
Oof, that’ll keep me busy for a while. Thanks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tech 9's best album?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Looking for a new streaming radio station, if anyone else still listens to those. I'm in the mood for some indie/alternative rock but would welcome something that has an even broader mix than that. Something light for my work day.

I was actually looking for an Icecast/Shoutcast stream of this local station so I didn't have to use their web player, if this helps guide the recs:
https://alt923.radio.com/
Their playlists trends towards some modern mainstream stuff, but I also appreciate that they play to my nostalgia by playing stuff like Sum 41 or mid-2000s Foo Fighters amid the recent stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

shoeberto posted:

Looking for a new streaming radio station, if anyone else still listens to those. I'm in the mood for some indie/alternative rock but would welcome something that has an even broader mix than that. Something light for my work day.

I was actually looking for an Icecast/Shoutcast stream of this local station so I didn't have to use their web player, if this helps guide the recs:
https://alt923.radio.com/
Their playlists trends towards some modern mainstream stuff, but I also appreciate that they play to my nostalgia by playing stuff like Sum 41 or mid-2000s Foo Fighters amid the recent stuff.

Seattle's KEXP is a non-profit with free streaming online and is practically synonymous with indie rock (though they have a wide range of shows): https://www.kexp.org/listen/