Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eduardo Rodriguez is being shut down for the year due to his myocarditis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

somehow cause the owners to lose money

Wouldn't getting the season canceled lose a lot of money?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

somehow cause the owners to lose money

So in other words if the season gets cancelled.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

seiferguy posted:

Wouldn't getting the season canceled lose a lot of money?

If you can blame it on the players and use that as leverage to extract concessions in the next CBA and possibly permanently curtail the power of the players union, then it’s a short term investment with long term gains.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

GoatSeeGuy posted:

If you can blame it on the players and use that as leverage to extract concessions in the next CBA and possibly permanently curtail the power of the players union, then it’s a short term investment with long term gains.

Make no mistake: this I precisely why Manfred is blaming the players right now.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

He doesn't have to, people are lining up to defend the owners and say it's the players' fault because they rejected MLB's bubble proposal (because let's just assume MLB was acting in good faith which they always do in negotiations)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Make no mistake: this I precisely why Manfred is blaming the players right now.

It’s 100% the play, but so far it’s not really getting any leverage so we keep playing.

When the time is right, you’ll see the usual suspects talking about how owners are “concerned” and “frustrated” and just want to play America’s pastime but those irresponsible players are making it impossible with their lack of discipline and selfishness. Basically the “Player just left Boston” playbook but league wide.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I wish MLB didn't have so much ready made ammunition to turn this on the players. Dudes c'mon wear some masks and stop doing stupid things

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1289690317491503105?s=21

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

BASEBALL FEVER

CATCH IT TODAY

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jupiter Jazz posted:

What's the process of ousting a commissioner in MLB?

What's a scenario for Manfred getting fired?

Has MLB ever ousted a commissioner before?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

No, the closest I think was Peter Ueberroth resigning due to the free-agency collusion scandal in the late 80s

apparently Bowie Kuhn was pushed out by the owners in the early 80s. There was also a commissioner in the late 60s, William Eckert, who was also pushed out because of labor issues

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 2, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Fay Vincent is the most obvious one; he faced a blatant owner revolt after they believed he gave up too much to the union in the 1990 lockout, and he ultimately resigned after receiving a hugely stacked vote of no confidence against him.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WCVB/status/1289667334420836352

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Coooooool coooooool

:tif:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 2, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Who could have possibly seen this coming?

MLB is burning down and Passan is hanging out in Tightwad, MO

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1289706739349065731?s=20

I've driven through there a bunch of times to get to a nearby Marina. It has a bank.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Who could have possibly seen this coming?

MLB is burning down and Passan is hanging out in Tightwad, MO

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1289706739349065731?s=20

I've driven through there a bunch of times to get to a nearby Marina. It has a bank.

Nice

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's too bad Red Sox fans don't have to sit through 162 games this season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ok Manfred, end the season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Luis Robert is on another fuckin' planet.

I don't think there is a single jersey in sports cooler than a home Robert.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I wonder how many extra innings are gonna start with an intentional walk to set up the double play now

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Edit wrong thread lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

am seriously thinking about getting a LuBob shirsey, but am afraid it will lead to Stolen Valor Accusations

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this looks greenscreened
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1289765975777144834?s=20

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Luis Robert is on another fuckin' planet.

I don't think there is a single jersey in sports cooler than a home Robert.

His half-swing, almost one-handed poke nearly to the center field wall for a double is crazy no matter how many times I watch it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

bees x1000 posted:

I wish MLB didn't have so much ready made ammunition to turn this on the players. Dudes c'mon wear some masks and stop doing stupid things

The worst part about all of this is that both Manfred and the players are at fault so when Manfred blames players he's not entirely wrong. After all, it's the Marlins players that decided to head to Atlanta's strip clubs. The problem is that he will solely blame them and will very much have very public ammunition for his case. The players are doing themselves a huge disservice in losing public good will. Many aren't even wearing masks and are pretending like the mandates that the general public has been going through since March are beneath them. This will not garner sympathy towards their cause and will only make Manfred look like the good guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jupiter Jazz posted:

The worst part about all of this is that both Manfred and the players are at fault so when Manfred blames players he's not entirely wrong. After all, it's the Marlins players that decided to head to Atlanta's strip clubs. The problem is that he will solely blame them and will very much have very public ammunition for his case. The players are doing themselves a huge disservice in losing public good will. Many aren't even wearing masks and are pretending like the mandates that the general public has been going through since March are beneath them. This will not garner sympathy towards their cause and will only make Manfred look like the good guy.
You're not wrong.

Although situations like what happened last Sunday with the Marlins playing despite the positive tests is absolutely a failure by MLB ownership, because it's not supposed to be up to the players with something like this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1289756333109948422

Twins in first place :toot:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

God drat I love obscure stats.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1289692353670742016?s=21

In any other season this would probably cause me some panic, but I say bring it the gently caress on because this season is meaningless and we might as well try out some new arms while we wait for the whole thing to be cancelled.

gently caress it, call Whitley up now. I don’t care how bad he’ll be, it’s PROSPECTS SEASON now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Chaosball

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1289786752052293633

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/gordonbeckham/status/1289757110155137024?s=19

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Oh hey, remember when we were talking about how garbage RBIs are? I love Max, but do yourselves a favor and check out the br pages on these two, it shows exactly how misleading counting stats can be. I dunno how to get the last 162 games, but Judge had to be something like 20 to 30 points of OPS+ better over that same span.

Also, I know you posted that for the fun of it, IcePhoenix, not to make any serious argument. This really just reminded me how great Judge is.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Angels had a sweet comeback win after blowing the lead in the top of the 9th to take their record from worst in baseball to barely bottom 10, securing the same lovely draft pick number they always end up with. They'll draft a toolsy highschool outfielder.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's not like the Angels have ever gotten anyone worth a drat in, say, the late 20s of the first round

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Strelok604 posted:

I wonder how many extra innings are gonna start with an intentional walk to set up the double play now

they should just put a runner on 3rd and 1st with one out because that is how 90% of scenarios will go, assuming the 1st batter can put down a bunt.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

they really gotta get rid of this runner on 2nd thing it's almost as bad as covid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

Oh hey, remember when we were talking about how garbage RBIs are? I love Max, but do yourselves a favor and check out the br pages on these two, it shows exactly how misleading counting stats can be. I dunno how to get the last 162 games, but Judge had to be something like 20 to 30 points of OPS+ better over that same span.

Also, I know you posted that for the fun of it, IcePhoenix, not to make any serious argument. This really just reminded me how great Judge is.

Yeah if you click through, people in the comments were pointing out that Judge's OBP is like 50 points higher so I would assume the OPS+ is about that different.

Kepler probably plays better defense though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah if you click through, people in the comments were pointing out that Judge's OBP is like 50 points higher so I would assume the OPS+ is about that different.

Kepler probably plays better defense though :v:

Seems like Kepler is also better at not being injury prone. :v: