Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Gonna go out on a limb and assume that cases of acute appendicitis prior to the development of surgical techniques, infection control, and anaesthesia, were usually fatal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

How did humans deal with appendicitis in the past? Back when medicine wasn't a thing and we were hunter gatherers (or even the medieval period).

I know it’s not exactly what you’re thinking but we have always had medicine. I think there are even like early hominids buried with evidence of having been cared for through injuries.

And while appendicitis is a particular kind of problem that our traditional medicine is pretty poorly equipped to fix, most people would be very surprised by the sophistication of traditional medicine, in my opinion. Like even the batshit crazy stuff isn’t unique to traditional medicine.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Qubee posted:

How did humans deal with appendicitis in the past? Back when medicine wasn't a thing and we were hunter gatherers (or even the medieval period).
They got better or they died. It had about a 50% mortality rate before surgical techniques were developed, which also means 50% of people were in a lot of pain and then just got better on their own.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Mak0rz posted:

My first thought was that they're running a competing store and are scoping out what yours charges for things.

In the past they've been asked to leave several times because the smell bothers people, and I suspect they live in their car. I doubt they run a store. Maybe there's a market research gig or something?

I was told he gave some expired cards to us to pull as well and claimed to work for Green Dot.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Extensive Vamping posted:

claimed to work for Green Dot.

I'm going to go with pre-scratched gc fraud

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tuyop posted:

I know it’s not exactly what you’re thinking but we have always had medicine. I think there are even like early hominids buried with evidence of having been cared for through injuries.

And while appendicitis is a particular kind of problem that our traditional medicine is pretty poorly equipped to fix, most people would be very surprised by the sophistication of traditional medicine, in my opinion. Like even the batshit crazy stuff isn’t unique to traditional medicine.

Traditional medicine is more sophisticated than most people think, but also a lot of conditions that we think of as no big deal were very fatal back then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How do orchestral musicians manage to keep an eye on the conductor while playing their instruments and reading their sheet music all at the same time?

It hurts my brain trying to imagine it.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

How do orchestral musicians manage to keep an eye on the conductor while playing their instruments and reading their sheet music all at the same time?

Individual musicians practice their parts to the level of muscle memory and the sheet music is for reference only. So most attention is on their performance, the overall flow, and the conductor

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I've always pronounced the name Pendragon in my head like the two words: pen dragon. I just watched a movie where they pronounced it PEND ruh gun. Is that how it's always been pronounced and I just never actually heard it said aloud before?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I've always pronounced the name Pendragon in my head like the two words: pen dragon. I just watched a movie where they pronounced it PEND ruh gun. Is that how it's always been pronounced and I just never actually heard it said aloud before?

Yes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mister Kingdom posted:

To add to what Extensive Vamping said, you don't (usually) need to see your instrument, so that's one less thing to worry about. I personally don't tend to memorize my music, but yeah, I've got a pretty good idea of what's coming. And I don't keep one eye glued to the conductor; generally what they're doing is large enough that I can check in via my peripheral vision most of the time, and pay closer attention for things like tempo changes or fermatas.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

You can see the conductor in your peripheral vision while reading the music, their movements are big enough and distinct enough to see like that. Reading the music and playing the instrument is the same thing, it's like reading words out loud.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm having trouble over the last 24 hours using one particular streaming service that i've used before with no issues . all of my twitter mutuals who also use this service are able to use it just fine . if i run a speedtest my internet connection (which is fairly decent at 100/100) looks perfectly normal and i've experienced zero trouble with anything else. what could be the problem and is there anything i could do to correct it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What exactly is happening here in my USPS tracking?

Aug 1, 2020
11:28pm
PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
ORLANDO, FL 32824
Aug 1, 2020
11:26pm
ORLANDO, FL 32824
Aug 1, 2020
11:20pm
ORLANDO, FL 32824
Aug 1, 2020
11:13pm
ORLANDO, FL 32824

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Holy poo poo they're processing the living poo poo out of that box
Maybe some guy having a blast scanning everything dozens of times

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67suyQIZ2Pw

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That's the spirit of USPS quality

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thauros posted:

i'm having trouble over the last 24 hours using one particular streaming service that i've used before with no issues . all of my twitter mutuals who also use this service are able to use it just fine . if i run a speedtest my internet connection (which is fairly decent at 100/100) looks perfectly normal and i've experienced zero trouble with anything else. what could be the problem and is there anything i could do to correct it?

Open a cmd window and run a tracert, see if any nodes are troublesome

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Have youtube ads been getting waaaay more frequent for everyone?

Used to be a pretty normal once (or twice consecutively nowadays) every 10 to 20 minutes or like at the beginning, miiddle and end, if at all, but lately they really ramped it up.

Most egregious example was a documentary that was over an hour long with an ad break every 3 loving minutes.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

What exactly is happening here in my USPS tracking?

Aug 1, 2020
ORLANDO, FL 32824
Aug 1, 2020
11:26pm
ORLANDO, FL 32824
Aug 1, 2020
11:20pm
ORLANDO, FL 32824
Aug 1, 2020
11:13pm
ORLANDO, FL 32824

From what I've read elsewhere on this site, this is a result of trump's new appointee's method of loving the USPS out of existence. Delivery is subcontracted now and the drivers pick up more than they can possibly deliver each morning. Amazon and some others get priority, then some/most of the rest gets delivered and the leftovers get dropped off at the sorting station to go out again the next day. It's having knock-on effects all through the system: my parents sent me a birthday card two and a half months ago that still hasn't arrived.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That would make sense if those were all on different days, but it's all yesterday.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

That would make sense if those were all on different days, but it's all yesterday.

Maybe they know what a great person you are and so they want to make really, really sure that it is processed for you?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Taeke posted:

Used to be a pretty normal once (or twice consecutively nowadays) every 10 to 20 minutes or like at the beginning, miiddle and end, if at all, but lately they really ramped it up.

Most egregious example was a documentary that was over an hour long with an ad break every 3 loving minutes.

Don't you use an adblock? I haven't seen a youtube ad in a long time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

greazeball posted:

From what I've read elsewhere on this site, this is a result of trump's new appointee's method of loving the USPS out of existence. Delivery is subcontracted now and the drivers pick up more than they can possibly deliver each morning. Amazon and some others get priority, then some/most of the rest gets delivered and the leftovers get dropped off at the sorting station to go out again the next day. It's having knock-on effects all through the system: my parents sent me a birthday card two and a half months ago that still hasn't arrived.

I bought some books three weeks ago and they're currently stuck in PA. I refuse to get mad at the USPS though, UPS and Fedex are pure garbage. If politics kill the USPS I... will be impotent in my rage.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Taeke posted:

Pause video. Drag slider to end of video. Hit play, when video ends click the replay video button. Video will now play without ads.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't you use an adblock? I haven't seen a youtube ad in a long time.

Adblock Origin* plus Sponsorblock and I don;t even know what a YT advert looks like anymore

(* plus a custom rule to remove the annoying video inserts at the end of a video)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Taeke posted:

The creators choose how many ads they want. However, last week YouTube automatically and retroactively opted in all videos more than eight minutes long to midroll ads unless the creator fixes it.

Incidentally, this is why everything on YouTube is ten minutes long. Until a few weeks ago a video had to be ten minutes long to have midroll ads. Now it's 8 minutes.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

The creators choose how many ads they want. However, last week YouTube automatically and retroactively opted in all videos more than eight minutes long to midroll ads unless the creator fixes it.

Incidentally, this is why everything on YouTube is ten minutes long. Until a few weeks ago a video had to be ten minutes long to have midroll ads. Now it's 8 minutes.

Ah yeah, that explains it.

Also, you can get an adblocker for android? I mostly watch youtube on my phone or playstation.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ultrafilter posted:

According to my local post office, it’s likely that it’s being scanned every time it’s moved from one bin to another.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
And is there any that works with the iPhone YouTube app? That’s where it’s been more annoying for me with this recent change.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Moo the cow posted:

Adblock Origin* plus Sponsorblock
uBlock Origin, accept no substitute.

Taeke posted:

Also, you can get an adblocker for android? I mostly watch youtube on my phone or playstation.
If it doesn't matter that it's not linked to your account, NewPipe is the fuss free way to watch Youtube video on phone. Most android-wide ad blockers can't handle Youtube ads anyway.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

quote:

NewPipe

Thanks for this!

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I have a weird RC car problem. The car appears to have good batteries both in the remote and the car itself. If I turn the car off and then turn it on and hold it in my hand (that is to say, off the floor) it runs. I can even grasp the tires and tell that they're spinning with some force. As soon as I put the car down on the floor, it stops. Both the steering and the wheels immediately stop. If I pick it up again, it won't respond. But if I turn it off and turn it on again, while holding it, it responds again.

Help?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Extensive Vamping (and others) posted:

Individual musicians practice their parts to the level of muscle memory and the sheet music is for reference only. So most attention is on their performance, the overall flow, and the conductor

Thanks to all.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Grifter posted:

I have a weird RC car problem. The car appears to have good batteries both in the remote and the car itself. If I turn the car off and then turn it on and hold it in my hand (that is to say, off the floor) it runs. I can even grasp the tires and tell that they're spinning with some force. As soon as I put the car down on the floor, it stops. Both the steering and the wheels immediately stop. If I pick it up again, it won't respond. But if I turn it off and turn it on again, while holding it, it responds again.

Help?

Is it electric or does it run on some sort of liquid/gas fuel? Can you tell thats running?

I assume it's got some sort of suspension right? I'd guess that there is a short that only connects when the suspension is compressed.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

credburn posted:

God, thank you for that. Having no coding experience beyond what I learned with BASIC so I could do classroom shenanigans, it all sounds so fascinating but kind of incomprehensible. The idea that compilation is a lossy process is one of those things that feels like an epiphany, like this concept that had before now never entered my mind.

:psyboom:

To add to what others have said: some of the compilation process is optimisation, done by the compiler. It's allowed to rearrange stuff to make it run faster, as long as the result will do the same thing.

The thing is, in the rearranged version it's often much, much harder to tell what's actually going on. It can get twisted into some incomprehensible nonsense that is nevertheless completely correct, and faster. So, if you try to decode from machine code to programming language, you might be left with incomprehensible but very fast and correct nonsense.

Also, not to mention, if you've got access to the source code it's quite easy to make a knock-off clone of the game, as a competitor. You don't necessarily have the art and levels and such, but you can create those, saving heaps of time and money on not having to program the game. Probably not applicable in the case of Nintendo, where they also own and control the platform all potential competitors are published on, but it could be a thing in general.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taeke posted:

Also, you can get an adblocker for android?

You can install Firefox and uBlock Origin then use that to watch YouTube instead of the app.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Update in case anyone cares:

Aug 3, 2020
12:02am
ROCHESTER, NY 14606
Aug 1, 2020
ORLANDO, FL 32824

It escaped Florida and is now a LOT closer to me!!!! I don't know what magic processing it a lot did, but !!!!!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

If you're not, try using fast.com for your speedtest; a lot of ISPs speed traffic to the most popular speed-testing websites, but fast.com is run off of Netflix's servers, so they can't speed traffic to that without also speeding traffic to Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Update in case anyone cares:

Aug 3, 2020
12:02am
ROCHESTER, NY 14606
Aug 1, 2020
ORLANDO, FL 32824

It escaped Florida and is now a LOT closer to me!!!! I don't know what magic processing it a lot did, but !!!!!

Speedrun gamer narrating play-through "shoutout to MailPlayer69 for finding this glitch, if we scan this 10 times within the same half hour, let's see.... *box disappears* yup it will glitch right over to the next sorting facility, saving us about 100 frames for the 'in transit' animation"