Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Lid posted:

Steroid injections for inflammation are magic

You aren't kidding. It's like a magic spell that you can inject or pop as a pill; the effects are literally night and day. The sweats, though as your body gets rid of what it sees as a toxin are loving brutal.

Also, I loving LOVE SUMO. What an incredible basho.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PINK MACARON

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"It was terrible."

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I'm fuckin' serious, y'all, this was like the best basho in ages. Between the delay and the absolute endless trainwreck gently caress that has been 2020, this was a salve on my soul.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

SamBishop posted:

I'm fuckin' serious, y'all, this was like the best basho in ages. Between the delay and the absolute endless trainwreck gently caress that has been 2020, this was a salve on my soul.

Agreed. So many great matches, even independently of the championship race. It was also nice to see the former ozeki all get kachi-koshi.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Absolutely incredible basho to watch. Really glad I got to watch it while it happened! Has there ever been any photos of the humongous macaron getting eaten? I like to imagine they slice it up like a cake, to share with their stablemates

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That was an incredible basho, I've now seen two M17s win the tournament this year.

Overall, I'm very happy for Tochinoshin and Takayasu, they both got great results this basho and have turned things around. Hopefully they have recovered from their injuries properly, and stopped their decline for a while. Tochinoshin's knee and Takayasu's arm never seemed to be right until this basho.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
That was an incredible basho to watch, both the story of Teronofuji and every day having great matches. Sumo is also the perfect working from home sport, minutes of rituals I can occasionally look across at and then 5-30 seconds of action.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking at his last bout and Teronofuji would not be denied.

EDIT: Nice to see Wakatakakage go 10-5, his last visit to Makuuchi resulted in an injury and demotion back to Juryo. He is worth his place in Makuuchi.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 2, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That basho started out lovely, then got a lot, lot better. To celebrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zu8uj8Ja4U

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Brut posted:

Yeah, I only listed the ones I think will retire relatively soon, I think injuries aside Hakuho has a hard-out in 2 years when Miyagino-Oyakata reaches the mandatory retirement age of 65, and I suspect Tochinoshin will go back to Georgia whenever he's finally unable to maintain a spot in Makuuchi, maybe even before that. Okinoumi is a mystery, he's doing better than ever, but he's the same age as Hakuho so who knows.

I'm super happy for my boy Tochi right now. After the last three bashos being terrible, he was looking better this go-round and 10-5 from M11 is a lot better than he's been putting up.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm super happy for my boy Tochi right now. After the last three bashos being terrible, he was looking better this go-round and 10-5 from M11 is a lot better than he's been putting up.

I was really starting to worry about him, but I think just about everyone really benefited from the delay. People got to heal, and you could absolutely see who was actively training to make the most of the extra time. I know I've said it before, but it's just a little more interesting when the yokozuna have to bow out for whatever reason, and this basho in particular felt like it could go so many different ways, all the way down to Juryo. I genuinely feel like if you had to show someone why sumo is a ton of fun to watch, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better example than the last 15 days. It started a little slow and then ramped way the gently caress up by like day 4 and kept delivering surprises all the way to the end.

For whatever reason, it did feel like a bit of a rebuke against Tiny Man Sumo, though, given how folks like Enho and Ishiura finished, which makes me a little sad. Still a hell of a tourney, god drat. Do we really only have a month and change until the Aki basho? That doesn't feel like enough time for everyone to recover. The banzuke is gonna have a whole lotta reshuffling either way.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Getting 10 wins or more from a sanyaku rank essentially means you're on an Ozeki run. I can't wait to see who actually makes it between the three of them. I hope Mitakeumi doesn't crack under pressure this time.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
This was my first tourny I watched so that was loving cool, when do the new ranks come out

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Foehammer007 posted:

This was my first tourny I watched so that was loving cool, when do the new ranks come out

The new banzuke release is scheduled for August 31st. They've changed a bunch of stuff due to corona so that's not exactly set in stone.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Foehammer007 posted:

Oh man, I'm actually a little jealous. This was a hell of a way to get into things, and was definitely unique for a whole mess of reasons.

Like MalarkeyToboggan said, it's set for the end of the month (and if I remember right, even this last not-quite-Nagoya basho's banzuke was released as if the tournament was going ahead as scheduled despite the delay), so that's probably going to stay the same, it'll just come down to who's actually recovered for those that went out early.

There's gonna be a bunch of people coming up from Juryo (and getting bounced back down), so it'll likely be a pretty different lineup than this one, even if most of the names are pretty familiar to those that have been following things for a while; you definitely see a lot of names that vacillate between divisions.

Just out of curiosity, what drew you to watching this particular tournament? I fell into it because my roommate's Japanese a few years ago and sorta went along with the ride because she was looking for some easy conversation with her parents, but in just a day or two I was hooked. I don't know that I'd have stumbled across it otherwise. Even my Japanese co-workers sort of look at me funny because it's definitely not a young person's sport, though the audience is probably a giveaway, even at like a quarter of the normal capacity and scarcity of tickets.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What are the odds we see three sekiwake and Endo at komusubi next basho?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

anakha posted:

What are the odds we see three sekiwake and Endo at komusubi next basho?

I dunno, Endo barely got his kachikoshi. Even with him taking out Kakuryu, I feel like he's probably going to have to prove himself at Maegashira 1 for at least another basho before the association gives him the bump. I 100% think he can get there, but this didn't really feel like him at his best for some reason. Maybe that's just the burden of being at the top of the rank-and-filers, I dunno. If he'd had to go through the sanyaku gauntlet this time out, I think he would have looked a lot worse than he did, kinboshi aside.

[edit] Actually, as an aside, was anyone else sort of surprised at how many 10-5 records there were? I feel like I was paying attention, but a bunch of people yesterday just kinda squirted out with really good results that I just wasn't tracking. I'm not complaining when it's guys like Tochinoshin, who I think really lets bad streaks get to him, but I kept doing double-takes after some of the matches at how well some of the rikishi had done.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 2, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

SamBishop posted:

I dunno, Endo barely got his kachikoshi. Even with him taking out Kakuryu, I feel like he's probably going to have to prove himself at Maegashira 1 for at least another basho before the association gives him the bump. I 100% think he can get there, but this didn't really feel like him at his best for some reason. Maybe that's just the burden of being at the top of the rank-and-filers, I dunno. If he'd had to go through the sanyaku gauntlet this time out, I think he would have looked a lot worse than he did, kinboshi aside.

Yeah but that's not the thought process, it's that Daieisho is 11-4 from Komusubi and thus probably deserves a promotion to Sekiwake, if you decide to give him that promotion, there's now an empty Komusubi slot that has to be filled, so Endo would just be the benefactor of coincidence in that case.

As for Endo's match ups this basho, he fought both Yokozuna, both Ozeki, both Sekiwake and one Komusubi, so he didn't really get it that easy this time either.

Edit: That being said, I'm now looking at Daieisho's matches and realizing that he had a day 2 fusen win over Kakuryu and a day 12 fusen win over Takakeisho, so that might hurt his chances of being promoted, he also didn't fight Mitakeumi. On the other hand, he did beat Hakuho, Shodai and Okinoumi. Tough call.

Brut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 2, 2020

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Brut posted:

Yeah but that's not the thought process, it's that Daieisho is 11-4 from Komusubi and thus probably deserves a promotion to Sekiwake, if you decide to give him that promotion, there's now an empty Komusubi slot that has to be filled, so Endo would just be the benefactor of coincidence in that case.

As for Endo's match ups this basho, he fought both Yokozuna, both Ozeki, both Sekiwake and one Komusubi, so he didn't really get it that easy this time either.

poo poo, that's a really good point, and I forgot that those slots have to be filled by necessity. I also apparently missed that he basically had weathered the sanyaku gauntlet, so I retract my armchair assessment and will just stick to soaking up as much as I can. I've definitely still got a ton to learn.

[edit] HA, yeah, my roommate and were laughing that he should go not-gamble on some extremely legal long-odds games because he kinda hit the jackpot in terms of breaks. Not that he didn't bring it, but I'm sure the other rikishi were a little miffed that he hit the right matchups on the right days.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 2, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

SamBishop posted:

poo poo, that's a really good point, and I forgot that those slots have to be filled by necessity. I also apparently missed that he basically had weathered the sanyaku gauntlet, so I retract my armchair assessment and will just stick to soaking up as much as I can. I've definitely still got a ton to learn.

It's all good, :justpost:, it's good conversation either way. Also see my edit above for why it's not as clear as I originally thought.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Brut posted:

It's all good, :justpost:, it's good conversation either way. Also see my edit above for why it's not as clear as I originally thought.

I'm just happy that there's so much to unpack, honestly. I usually don't even like sports... anything, but maybe it's just because it's so different that it feels like a fun onion to peel back the layers on. For something that's so outwardly "simple," all those hundreds of years of working out the particulars make it really cool to learn that it's waaaaaaaay deeper than it seems.

Sumo is cool and good, is what I'm getting at. I'm happy I can learn more about it with all of you guys.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 2, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Historically, every single Komusubi 11 win record ended up at Sekiwake, I thought it was a lot murkier but that actually only starts at 10 wins, I wonder if we end up with an exception due to the double fusen. Oddly enough, the 3 most recent promotions (Asanoyama, Takayasu and Takayasu) all include 1 fusen, twice over Kakuryu and once over Tochinoshin.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

On that note, Tochinoshin's whole journey has been so frustrating. I genuinely feel like when he was at his prime and literally walking 300+ pound dudes over the tawara that he was on the fast track to locking in an Ozeki rank for a while, but that drat leg of his and the way he clearly gets hosed up (with good reason) when stuff just seems to conspire to mess with his chances is heartbreaking. Now he feels a little broken himself; I'm not seeing that drive in him to just wreck shop like he used to have even a year or so ago. I hope he can get back to Ozeki, but I honestly doubt he's got enough gas in the tank anymore, and I completely get why.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, I don't see Tochinoshin ever regaining that incredible form he had when at his peak. He finished this basho with a good record, but he was so low on the banzuke that that's to be expected whenever he's not in his full-on literally-hobbling-on-no-knees mode. He's just too physically busted to do his thing consistently, which is a bummer, but it was nice seeing him do well for a change.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This was an incredible basho, I enjoyed every single day of it. As people have said, not only did Terunofuji pick up the cup for the first time in 5 years after dropping to jonidan holy poo poo what a comeback kid, but there was lots of genuinely really high-quality sumo every single day. I feel like this basho is a decent argument for people who would like to see a reinstatement of something like the kosho seido system where you could take a basho off for injuries without demotion, since a lot of the perennially hurt rikishi (i.e. the whole ex-ozeki corps) put together very nice tournaments and seem to have benefited from the extra break since Natsu was cancelled.

SamBishop posted:

[edit] Actually, as an aside, was anyone else sort of surprised at how many 10-5 records there were? I feel like I was paying attention, but a bunch of people yesterday just kinda squirted out with really good results that I just wasn't tracking. I'm not complaining when it's guys like Tochinoshin, who I think really lets bad streaks get to him, but I kept doing double-takes after some of the matches at how well some of the rikishi had done.

The win economy in sumo is zero sum, so when you have Onosho and Ikioi, and Ishiura, and Chiyomaru soaking losses they have to go somewhere. Hell, we had 11 rikishi with double-digit losses. This was an extremely lopsided basho in terms of score distribution. Looking forward to seeing how they resolve it.

Elissimpark posted:

Not sure I've ever seen a yellow one.

I feel the mood is pink this Basho.

E: maybe that should be worked into fantasy...

Lol I'd love to add guessing the macaroon color as a bonus to fantasy, that's hilarious.

Alright everyone, final scores, yushos, special prizes etc are all in.

Final Standings:

code:
48	anakha
52.5	Banana Canada
52	bartolimu
59.5	bessantj
40	Charles Gnarwin
57.5	Diplomat
47	Elissimpark
62	GoatSeeGuy
48.5	Jobbo_Fett
52	Kenning
51.5	Lid
40.5	Marching Powder
45.5	Martytoof
44.5	Mekchu
49.5	QuasiQuack
49	ratmosphere
53	Scythe
37	sivad
40	Spokes
70.5	Thauros
45	Tiny Bug Child
47.5	whats for dinner
Congratulations to Thauros with a commanding win, having both Asanoyama and Terunofuji on their team made for a pretty unstoppable combination, and Shodai didn't hurt either. Special mention to Scythe, the only team with no make-koshi.

I cannot wait for Aki.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

has anyone ever made it back up to ozeki the hard way after failing to get 10 wins in that first basho as a sekiwake? it's obviously still early and health is always going to be a concern but has to be considered a valid possibility.

very fun basho and the guys i picked doing well with the exception of enhou was a bonus.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there any way to watch all of this tournament, in relative order? I read the OP, I saw Thauros post somewhere about sumo and from the posts on this page maybe this would be a good time to check it out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Chinook posted:

Is there any way to watch all of this tournament, in relative order? I read the OP, I saw Thauros post somewhere about sumo and from the posts on this page maybe this would be a good time to check it out.

Ok so assuming you only mean the top division:

If you want just the matches:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErxT8KRQi3JJEwMCDrcHBg/videos

This channel has all days of Juryo and all days of Makuuchi (2 videos per day) with Japanese commentary, and has fancy graphics telling you all the wrestler's previous records and ranks and all that poo poo.

https://youtube.com/c/Kintamayamasumo/videos

This channel has all days of Makuuchi with mostly-English commentary, sometimes it'll switch between bouts basically if the stream this dude is ripping from went down and he had to pull clips from a backup Japanese stream.

In either case, use YouTube's "Add to queue" (or add to playlist, if you want to save it) button to be able to just hit play on the whole thing and sit back.

Brut fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 2, 2020

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

SamBishop posted:

Oh man, I'm actually a little jealous. This was a hell of a way to get into things, and was definitely unique for a whole mess of reasons.

Like MalarkeyToboggan said, it's set for the end of the month (and if I remember right, even this last not-quite-Nagoya basho's banzuke was released as if the tournament was going ahead as scheduled despite the delay), so that's probably going to stay the same, it'll just come down to who's actually recovered for those that went out early.

There's gonna be a bunch of people coming up from Juryo (and getting bounced back down), so it'll likely be a pretty different lineup than this one, even if most of the names are pretty familiar to those that have been following things for a while; you definitely see a lot of names that vacillate between divisions.

Just out of curiosity, what drew you to watching this particular tournament? I fell into it because my roommate's Japanese a few years ago and sorta went along with the ride because she was looking for some easy conversation with her parents, but in just a day or two I was hooked. I don't know that I'd have stumbled across it otherwise. Even my Japanese co-workers sort of look at me funny because it's definitely not a young person's sport, though the audience is probably a giveaway, even at like a quarter of the normal capacity and scarcity of tickets.

Someone on discord linked me to Karla's stream on day 2 I think? Got hooked and just watched every single night. I think the first person I saw was Mudoho so followed him and then I fell in love with Enho after those beer commercials :swoon:

Just trying to figure out everyone but man the matches are super cool even though sometimes they end quickly, I am for sure hooked and can't wait for more matches!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I watch the DI stream on youtube and stay up way too late, because he blocks the Abema TV commercials for me.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Final Standings:
code:
37	sivad

Just puttin' the thread on blast, the last time I finished dead last, I won the next one, so you're all fighting for second place in Aki.

Good basho!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chinook posted:

if you want to watch all the pre match set up stuff and assorted pageantry the twitch channel i was using to watch live has replays available

https://twitch.tv/mbovosumo

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Brut posted:

Ok so assuming you only mean the top division:

If you want just the matches:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErxT8KRQi3JJEwMCDrcHBg/videos

This channel has all days of Juryo and all days of Makuuchi (2 videos per day) with Japanese commentary, and has fancy graphics telling you all the wrestler's previous records and ranks and all that poo poo.

https://youtube.com/c/Kintamayamasumo/videos

This channel has all days of Makuuchi with mostly-English commentary, sometimes it'll switch between bouts basically if the stream this dude is ripping from went down and he had to pull clips from a backup Japanese stream.

In either case, use YouTube's "Add to queue" (or add to playlist, if you want to save it) button to be able to just hit play on the whole thing and sit back.

Thauros posted:

if you want to watch all the pre match set up stuff and assorted pageantry the twitch channel i was using to watch live has replays available

https://twitch.tv/mbovosumo

Thanks to both of you. I will likely try the Youtube approach this time and jump in on that twitch channel in a couple months when it starts back up!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh yeah I didn't realize mbovosumo was allowing their Past Broadcasts to expire naturally now, so they are still all up, previously they were deleting them after like 2 days I guess for fear of NHK coming after them.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chinook posted:

Thanks to both of you. I will likely try the Youtube approach this time and jump in on that twitch channel in a couple months when it starts back up!

Kinta’s YouTube channel has the added bonus of having full tournaments from years ago if you need a between tournament fix and want to go back and watch past stuff like Terunofuji’s first championship and Ozeki life.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was amazing as heck.

Some highlights for me:

Asanoyama — Hopefully he can consistently challenge for the yusho here on out. Was fun to watch!
M17 winning — Another amazing outcome!
Takayasu — Looked consistent and strong after looking sluggish the first two or three days. Not back to his dominating ozeki style yet but felt really solid.
Tochinoshin — Another solid rebound. I’m not a Tochi superfan but it was another fun rebound to watch.

Some annoyances and/or WTF:

Ichinojo! — Holy poo poo guys did you see him? Ichinojo! He’s ba—oh he did an Ichinojo, never mind.
Abi — Too cool for school. We’re gonna miss you, spaz slappy boy, after they throw the book at you.
Enho/Ishiura — A few good matches but seemed to have been figured out, at least for this basho.
Yokozuna — C’mon nerds.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It was a really great tournament and I’m happy despite Enho having a bad showing. I think the rest really helped and every day had at least one wild match with huge swings. Fun action all around and our second Cinderella story of the year.

I’m hoping that September brings healthy yokozuna so that we can see how things shake out.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

I watch the DI stream on youtube and stay up way too late, because he blocks the Abema TV commercials for me.

Which channel is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Sub Rosa posted:

Which channel is this?

It's this one.

It's obviously empty now but during the Basho they put on streams.