Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is Tkachuk's role anything more than to be a huge oval office and to try and provoke people into fighting him and eating five minutes?

is this a recognised strategy in hockey or is this purely a Tkachuk thing?

Been a time-honored position for a while now, sadly. Only thing that alleviated it in the past was that everyone also had enforcers and if you acted like a complete dickhole a strong man who is a better fighter than you are would come over to teach you a lesson.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah I'm no fan of either of the tkachuks (especially that flames poo poo head version) but that looks like a blade hop trying to stop and not a Matt Cooke'ian event

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SilverMike posted:

Been a time-honored position for a while now, sadly. Only thing that alleviated it in the past was that everyone also had enforcers and if you acted like a complete dickhole a strong man who is a better fighter than you are would come over to teach you a lesson.

This made me lol, drat I miss that era.

Also, Jupiter Jazz your enthusiasm is absolutely adorable :v:

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 2, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have no idea how you can watch that clip and think that was intentional.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Tkachuk's a dick but he's trying to check Schiefele there, not kick him.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

bewbies posted:

You can’t, unless you’re an Oilers fan.

Maurice was clearly trying to fire up his team for Game 2 after they essentially no-showed last night. No problem with him reacting that way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All the Caps where at the Penguins game last night watching...

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

RIP Jets

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
You can see his skate hop, Maurice is just a huge baby

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is Tkachuk's role anything more than to be a huge oval office and to try and provoke people into fighting him and eating five minutes?

He was a near point per game player last year, he's a very good player

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Kilza, you're projecting on poor Matthew because your team poo poo the bed repeatedly in their own end... It's ok, it's only hockey, why you hef to be mad?

The Matthew Tkachuk friendship tour continues.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

As the sane Oiler fan, if that's possible, gently caress Matthew Tkatchuk but not for that play.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Even if it's not intentional, it's very reasonable to interpret that as negligent rather than purely accidental.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I hope Montreal and Chicago make it to the finals and then the NHL has to cancel due to COVID

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I don't think Tkachuk meant to kick Scheifele with his skate, but I do think Tkachuk meant to still get a piece of Scheifele after he turned away to avoid the incoming hit, and the result is the result.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Call Your Grandma posted:

Even if it's not intentional, it's very reasonable to interpret that as negligent rather than purely accidental.

people get pinned to the boards in this exact same manner countless times in every game. What on earth was negligent about that? You can see his skate blade kick up when trying to stop, which happens frequently. Especially on lovely ice and this was the 2nd game of the day

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

people get pinned to the boards in this exact same manner countless times in every game. What on earth was negligent about that? You can see his skate blade kick up when trying to stop, which happens frequently. Especially on lovely ice and this was the 2nd game of the day

The swamp ice claims another victim.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/sarah__mclellan/status/1289956439037894658

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

He's extending his knee to get a piece of a guy who he would not otherwise hit given their trajectories.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
actually he did a run of the mill hockey stop and his skate didn't bite

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36d6H92ADDc

if anyone is wondering what an actual intentional skate kick looks like

alternatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEKVlTseQFs

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

In no way did Tkachuk try to slice Scheifele anywhere, but the NHL should still banish him just to be safe imo

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Kilza, what's your size? XXXXL or XXXXXL?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

myron cope posted:

Get me that #1 pick Uncle Gary

:gonchar:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/saraorlesky/status/1289962947444264960

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Misanthrope posted:

Kilza, what's your size? XXXXL or XXXXXL?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
If you get suspended in the NHL bubble there should be a dedicated "shame" section of the hotel you have to stay in.

Matt Tkachuk sleeping in the basement for 2 days

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Eau de MacGowan posted:

He was also the Flames top scorer this year, so.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Yaya posted:

If you get suspended in the NHL bubble there should be a dedicated "shame" section of the hotel you have to stay in.

Matt Tkachuk sleeping in the basement for 2 days

The bubble has its own penalty box?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's already in Edmonton, where else are they going to send him?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

It really sucks how the series ended so quickly

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

bewbies posted:

If it wasn't the first five minutes of the first game and it wasn't tkachuk nobody would even consider the possibility that it was intentional.

Personally I wouldn't put it past him but the video makes it look accidental.

The only thing I am sure of is that my enthusiasm for this entire tournament is nearly gone now :smith:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Do NOT hire the same forensic investigators that Eugene hired to investigate Cooke

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1289996617693589504

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

FBS posted:

If it wasn't the first five minutes of the first game and it wasn't tkachuk nobody would even consider the possibility that it was intentional.

Personally I wouldn't put it past him but the video makes it look accidental.

The only thing I am sure of is that my enthusiasm for this entire tournament is nearly gone now :smith:

Incredibly same.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

thats good. cool how there was no penalty during the game except the one ennis got for sending the puck over the glass

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Oof, I am actually surprised he didn't go down from that

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

FBS posted:

Gerblederp posted:

Incredibly same.

I realize that was a very deflating loss, but I need to you remind you both that you're playing a team that regularly shits the bed in meaningful hockey games.

Also as much as I joke about Matthew Tkachuk, it's mostly to rile up a certain irrational poster... I obviously really hated seeing Scheifele writhing around on the ice.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We will know that the worst of 2020 is behind us and things are trending back to normal when the Finals matchup is two Canadian Teams and the whole thing gets canceled due to Plague.

Edit: new fans are the best no matter what team they cheer for. Glad to have you onboard Jupiter Jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah seeing Scheifele go down like that was really gut wrenching and I feel for you Jets Goons, real worst-case scenario