Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xaris posted:

in addition TJ doesnt have halloumi this year which was a key ingredient for a lot of my keto dishes :sigh:

If you live somewhere with Latin groceries/cheeses, panela is a grilling cheese pretty dang close to halloumi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cans of tuna are great, I drain and mix with onion powder and some greek yoghurt and Sriracha, then eat on top of spinach.

Canned tuna and yogurt sounds revolting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's fine. It's like mayo but not horrific for your body

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i like the Kirkland canned chicken to make chicken salad with.

i use japanese mayo.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Canned tuna and yogurt sounds revolting.

It's actually not bad. I use Greek yogurt instead of mayo on sandwiches a lot. It's bland but you can add spices for flavor if you want. Plus it's a bunch of protein.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, I mean tzatziki is good and is just yogurt flavored with other stuff. Its just that a lot of people normally associate yogurt with sweet

Marinating chicken with a lemon/garlic yogurt is pro cookin

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You guys all make good points.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its just that a lot of people normally associate yogurt with sweet

This is what's throwing me off.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I throw a bag of cauliflower rice (140 cals) in a pot, put the burner just a little past boiling water level heat, add in some salt (to help dessicate), and boil/steam the moisture out. Watch out not to burn it. It ends up being a bit more fluffy and rice like.

As others have said, you really need to mix in ANY kind of sauce with it (even some soy sauce works fine), and you can pair it with more vegetables and/or lean meat. You can end up with a big (huge?) bowl to eat and come in under 600 cals.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is what's throwing me off.

Plain yogurt is great. I wish Costco sold a plain yogurt similar to Trader Joe's European Style yogurt.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

btw ive been seeing Hint water at costcos now, I recommend it though it may not be for everyone. It's not carbonated it's more like drinking from a water dispenser filled with fruit

I'd give it a shot but too many of those flavors aren't of interest to me, and the website shows they don't have lime or cucumber.(STFU, it's delicious.)

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Doodles posted:

I'd give it a shot but too many of those flavors aren't of interest to me, and the website shows they don't have lime or cucumber.(STFU, it's delicious.)

I accidentally grabbed a cucumber lime Gatorade and I was kind of shocked at how much I liked it.

That first sip definitely broke my brain for a moment. It's one thing if you reach for a coke and it's actually Diet Dr. Pepper, it's another thing entirely when your Gatorade tastes like vegetables. Once I got over the initial shock, I finished the bottle pretty quickly. Cucumber is refreshing as gently caress.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Costco grocery home delivery just rolled out here and I’m excited to try it. Anyone have experience? Is the produce picked out well or is it just whatever?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
What's the point of having "samples" if workers are going to just stand like loving sentries behind an empty stainless steel cart?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alan Smithee posted:

btw ive been seeing Hint water at costcos now, I recommend it though it may not be for everyone. It's not carbonated it's more like drinking from a water dispenser filled with fruit

I went to Costco last night before closing (8pm is the time to go for the most part unless you need Toilet Paper--they were completely out lol) and picked some of this up. It's fine, but i prefer carbonated water. my philosophy is if im gunna buy pre-packaged bottled water its going to be carbonated because that's harder to do at home and sodastreams suck; whereas something like Hint I can infuse tap water with some fruit and it isn't even that cheap, actually kinda expensive for water

Also Costco had these a-sha tawainese noodle kits, picked them up but haven't tried.

They also had these (meme i think?) Samyang korean hot spicy chicken ramen bowls--16 to a box i think @ $18. i had one last night, it wasn't really spicy at all, infact i wouldn't call it spicy at all, but a pretty good flavor. they're more like noodles in gochujang paste because you drain out the water and just mix in a thick gochujang-type paste. i enjoyed it a lot, not sure if i like them more than the ningshim black ramen cups they sell. i think these may be the less spicy version of the meme things all the youbuters do?

There are these Daphne gyro kits so i got some of those, prob gunna make some tomorrow.

no bitchin sauce still-- i got some a couple years back and havent seen it since :smith: they were out of more merino wool socks too and i need to replace some of mine, ah well next time i guess.

e: also my Costco here in richmond ca must have just put in 4-6 self-checkouts and took out some registers. no one was using them tho and i decided to just stand in a short line instead. idk self-checkout at costco seems to be a bad idea unless its a one-two-three item short hop. maybe ill try it next time

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 1, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Argyle posted:

I accidentally grabbed a cucumber lime Gatorade and I was kind of shocked at how much I liked it.

That first sip definitely broke my brain for a moment. It's one thing if you reach for a coke and it's actually Diet Dr. Pepper, it's another thing entirely when your Gatorade tastes like vegetables. Once I got over the initial shock, I finished the bottle pretty quickly. Cucumber is refreshing as gently caress.

On a continuing 'cucumber water' theme, Gatorade is doubly refreshing when cut 1:1 with water. Going to have to buy some of that later

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

SirPablo posted:

What's the point of having "samples" if workers are going to just stand like loving sentries behind an empty stainless steel cart?

The workers get paid.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Lazyhound posted:

The workers get paid.

Pay them unemployment, they don't need to be there like idiots.

New tub of Bitchin', and it was on sale!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

priznat posted:

Is the produce picked out well or is it just whatever?

lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That bad eh

There is a local supermarket that has grocery pickup and the produce is always great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

priznat posted:

That bad eh

There is a local supermarket that has grocery pickup and the produce is always great.

I don't think its that bad but yes they're getting paid peanuts, they arent going to spend precious moments of their time trying to pick the most beautiful piece of vegetable/fruits and will just grab whatever is on top and gtfo, unless it's like obviously blatantly hosed up (never grab the first one you see). in general though most of the stuff should be fine.

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

I can't believe the SomethingAwful forums tricked me into a Costco membership and I spent $520 today.

They talked me into the fancy black card, and honestly other than the potential hassle of need to go there to get the rebate if I get less than $60 back, I don't see why the other type even exists? There's no risk, really, just a higher upfront cost.

Anyway these Jeans are really really comfortable and my freezer is now literally full to the point that it can accept no more frozen veggies. Also like $100 of that was on loving wine because I didn't realize their selection was that legit, and I found a wine there that I haven't seen in years but I remember it being the best cab I ever spent less than $100 on.

Oh and it was like $10 cheaper than I paid last time.

Anyway here's pictures because that's a thing humans do I guess. Had to take the dog out and eat it on my car because of COVID.

Ok I didn't have to do that but I chose to and it was a good choice.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AlphariusOmegon posted:

I can't believe the SomethingAwful forums tricked me into a Costco membership and I spent $520 today.

They talked me into the fancy black card, and honestly other than the potential hassle of need to go there to get the rebate if I get less than $60 back, I don't see why the other type even exists? There's no risk, really, just a higher upfront cost.
you have to spend $3,000 a year to break-even on it, which, for a suburban tract-house family of 4 is not a high of a bar, but an apartment/condo of just 1-2 people may be a bit of a stretch without a whole lot of Big Purchases in the works. and that's just break-even, for a noticeable refund you'll have to spend more than that. lets just put it this way, there's a reason why they're very very pushy and car salesmany about pushing the executive memberships and have been for the last 4 years or whenever the amex change swapped over. they aren't pushing executive cards constantly just to save people money.

also in order to get refunded for the executive card you can only officially do it once, have to stand in customer service line (which can take 10-20 minutes), and then you get downgraded to gold membership and the executive +$60 refunded. that said individual costcos may handle it differently and may let you get refunded $60 while keeping it but it may be a one-off thing and official policy is that to get your <$60 rebate you have to be cancelled or downgraded to gold

but if you do constantly make Very Big Purchases like fridges or furnitute and laptops or you have a big ol mormon quiverful family, yeah it's absolutely worth it. for us as a household of 2 in a 1-br apartment, it's not. we spend about $2k a year at most.

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

Xaris posted:

you have to spend $3,000 a year to break-even on it, which, for a suburban tract-house family of 4 is not a high of a bar, but an apartment/condo of just 1-2 people may be a bit of a stretch without a whole lot of Big Purchases in the works. and that's just break-even, for a noticeable refund you'll have to spend more than that. lets just put it this way, there's a reason why they're very very pushy and car salesmany about pushing the executive memberships and have been for the last 4 years or whenever the amex change swapped over. they aren't pushing executive cards constantly just to save people money.

also in order to get refunded for the executive card you can only officially do it once, have to stand in customer service line (which can take 10-20 minutes), and then you get downgraded to gold membership and the executive +$60 refunded. that said individual costcos may handle it differently and may let you get refunded $60 while keeping it but it may be a one-off thing and official policy is that to get your <$60 rebate you have to be cancelled or downgraded to gold

but if you do constantly make Very Big Purchases like fridges or furnitute and laptops or you have a big ol mormon quiverful family, yeah it's absolutely worth it. for us as a household of 2 in a 1-br apartment, it's not. we spend about $2k a year at most.

I mean yeah, all that tracks and I can foresee a future wherein I just get downgraded to gold this time next year, but to be honest the place where I'm living now the grocery stores suck rear end enough that between gas, groceries, and booze I can see myself (and my roommate) spending over 3k. I'll report back in 2021 and let you know how it worked out.

And for what it's worth I totally anticipate having to make furniture and electronics purchases soon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

Also Costco had these a-sha tawainese noodle kits, picked them up but haven't tried.

Those are really good for prepackaged noodles but make Top Ramen look like a low-sodium equivalent.

Make a pouch of noodles as a base for a larger meal or something if you eat the whole thing your heart might explode.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I thought you were being overwrought but holy poo poo they're 1510mg of sodium per bag. I ate two of those today. Welp I'm gonna die of terminal salt.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Anyway these Jeans are really really comfortable and my freezer is now literally full to the point that it can accept no more frozen veggies. Also like $100 of that was on loving wine because I didn't realize their selection was that legit, and I found a wine there that I haven't seen in years but I remember it being the best cab I ever spent less than $100 on.

Anyway here's pictures because that's a thing humans do I guess. Had to take the dog out and eat it on my car because of COVID.

Welcome to the church, friend! I went today and spent a little less than $500, as I have been doing every month since March. I have switched to a monthly trip to reduce shopping outings. I miss taking communion every week, but sacrifices must be made.Today I fit so much onto a cart that they said they needed to switch me to a flat to make it all fit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Tricked? No.

Costco saves us. :pray:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Hosanna!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Is this too long for a thread title?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

signage bun has sesame seeds but the actual thing doesn't. :thunk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trying the first instacart costco order which will rock because god drat costco is always crazy busy and I hate going now.

What’s the usual tip rate people do?

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Xaris posted:

Not that it's useful this year, but a lot of the Costco travel packages count towards it and you get extra stuff with the executive membership (usually something like a shirt or a bottle of wine).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its actually p rare to save money w costco wo a bigass family

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

Trying the first instacart costco order which will rock because god drat costco is always crazy busy and I hate going now.

Watch out because instacart seems to force the buyer/deliverer person to substitute anything for anything else regardless of how accurate or more expensive the substitution is: (we were out of cheap pork, we got you 1000 lobsters instead!) You could end up getting something unsuitable. I think there's an option in your order for 'no subtitutions' for each item but I'm not sure how to do that. I used instacart at the start of the pandemic then it stopped working, there were no more deliveries available any more (SF bay area) and all of the appointments that WERE available were about 2 weeks out. But I couldn't book them because I didn't log in and check at the correct time every day whenever it was that they opened up (I don't know when they reopen bookings)

When the instacart person is shopping they will ask you via text or the app or something 'do you want this instead?' and they're allowed or encouraged to make those decisions themselves.

Edit:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its actually p rare to save money w costco wo a bigass family

My #1 costco tip is to buy a chest freezer. This allows you to buy a ton of frozen crap in bulk that you can then eat gradually over time.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm a single, fairly frugal man and i've never gotten less than $150 back from my executive. Since January, i'm already at $150. I do make many major purchases there, including phones, laptops, etc. The deals are good, the return policy is great and you get an extended warranty, plus you then get 2% back or more if use the credit card.

I don't even visit a grocery store anymore. I just buy from Costco and Amazon. My diet is pretty unusual though. I eat really healthy and stick to chicken, bison and eggs for maybe 80% of my diet. Which in itself is another reason I shop at Costco: the price on meats. Bison is about the most expensive meat I purchase at roughly $20 for 2 1/2 lbs. Anywhere else would be $12 for 1lb though. It's about the cleanest and cheapest red meat I can get.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

priznat posted:

I do like 10-15% depending and try to make sure its at least 15$ even for small orders, Instacart people deserve every penny of it going out and doing that poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah just got my order, it was fast and the guy did a couple minor substitutions and there were a couple things out of stock but on the whole I feel it was worth the tip to not have to venture in to a costco, not that I could anyway due to a napping 2 year old.

Overall pretty good, would do again!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xaris posted:

They also had these (meme i think?) Samyang korean hot spicy chicken ramen bowls--16 to a box i think @ $18. i had one last night, it wasn't really spicy at all, infact i wouldn't call it spicy at all, but a pretty good flavor. they're more like noodles in gochujang paste because you drain out the water and just mix in a thick gochujang-type paste. i enjoyed it a lot, not sure if i like them more than the ningshim black ramen cups they sell. i think these may be the less spicy version of the meme things all the youbuters do?

I wouldn't be able to say for certain unless you said you were really into spicy foods, but you can bet that to the average suburban white family, those things are like eating fresh lava. Fortunately, there's usually hot sauce at the church that will make up for it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres like 6 flavors, the meme one is the nuclear hot flavor (literally calques to nuclear)

is it that hot? the broth is comparable to a hot sauce, basically, but youre drinking an entire bowl of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres like 6 flavors, the meme one is the nuclear hot flavor (literally calques to nuclear)

is it that hot? the broth is comparable to a hot sauce, basically, but youre drinking an entire bowl of it
Yeah, the meme version has the chicken carrying a bomb and breathing fire. He has to be doing both for it to be the meme version. Xaris, if you can handle straight up gochujang then wow and yeah it's not going to hurt you much.

In other Costco news, had the salmon today with Montreal seasoning and lemon zest. It was great, but it was so so much. Too much for 5 adults. Going to put it on the caesar salad that was also bought at Costco.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 3, 2020