Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

a quick reminder that the sword and scale guy is such an unrepentant shitlord he got banned from his podcast's own subreddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea just to be clear I have like ~issues~ with the MFM ladies but the S&S guy is just actively a wretched person who deserves nothing but scorn and mockery, I do agree they are very different scales of 'problematic big voices in the true crime stuff'

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I’ve literally never heard of that swords and whatnot podcast. Judging by that tweet, I’m guessing they’re catering to a certain political type of people.

Not that I listen to MFM either. Or any of the podcast with single episode crime stories.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mrfart posted:

I’ve literally never heard of that swords and whatnot podcast. Judging by that tweet, I’m guessing they’re catering to a certain political type of people.

Not that I listen to MFM either. Or any of the podcast with single episode crime stories.

I have no clue if he's shifted over to that now, but he was one of the first true crime podcasts to have decent production values, and I don't recall that being part of his gimmick.

He first caught heat because he portrays anyone with mental illness as one bad day away from going axe-crazy at an orphanage. He also makes inappropriate use of audio from 911 recordings and other first hand sources of people either dying violently or in the process of dying violently that even the trashiest of shock value TV shows would balk at airing.

His second season apparently wasn't up to the quality of the first and he became infamous for melting the gently caress down at even the mildest critique from an obvious fan.

Aside from his podcast, he's also been accused by multiple women of being a sex pest, which isn't surprising given that he proudly tries to parlay his minor celebrity into hooking up with any woman who will not immediately block him.

That he's a chud is like only the 10th most offensive thing about him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I listened to a couple episodes and gave it up because he had this constant super dramatic delivery that got tiring

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There’s a podcast called invisible choir, it’s like exactly the same format and over the top exaggerations and court room audio as sword and scale. I like to think it pisses him off this other guy is doing the same podcast

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

How about any cool podcast/episodes of a podcast about pirates? I like my true crime to be so old it’s history.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I think Sword & Scale is the only podcast that I ever actually unsubscribed from; I usually just stop downloading something but keep it in my feed in case they cover something I'm interested in.

In addition to all the other issues being raised ITT I also got really annoyed by how he's play tens of minutes of 911 tape and interject every sixty to ninety seconds "now this might be too hard for some of you to listen to, but it's really important to hear so we can understand the mindframe of the caller at this time" and then it's just another sixty seconds of dead air or hysterical sobbing.

Is Sword & Scale even still really a thing? I thought the guy's Patreon basically did the Lowtax collapse pattern around when he got banned from his own subreddit and I figured he'd just packed it in and moved on to guest spots on the Dick Masterson show or whatever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cockblocktopus posted:

I think Sword & Scale is the only podcast that I ever actually unsubscribed from; I usually just stop downloading something but keep it in my feed in case they cover something I'm interested in.

In addition to all the other issues being raised ITT I also got really annoyed by how he's play tens of minutes of 911 tape and interject every sixty to ninety seconds "now this might be too hard for some of you to listen to, but it's really important to hear so we can understand the mindframe of the caller at this time" and then it's just another sixty seconds of dead air or hysterical sobbing.

Is Sword & Scale even still really a thing? I thought the guy's Patreon basically did the Lowtax collapse pattern around when he got banned from his own subreddit and I figured he'd just packed it in and moved on to guest spots on the Dick Masterson show or whatever.

At this point a podcast could play raw audio of 911 calls of people in misery with no narrative or context, and it would be sorted under True Crime and could sell t-shirts and scented candles. Patreon subscribers would be sent random crime scene photos.

This already exists, doesn't it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only podcast I ever unsubscribed from because the hosts seemed like wretched, repellent, humans was a Simpsons podcast called Worst Episode Ever.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only podcast I ever unsubscribed from because the hosts seemed like wretched, repellent, humans was a Simpsons podcast called Worst Episode Ever.

Now I’m curious

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I listened to that for a while years ago but stopped when they began to strain to find enough to talk about after getting past the really bad episodes, but don’t recall them becoming terrible folks. Am also curious what happened.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Snowy posted:

Now I’m curious

Nothing specific happened. I was just driving down a highway listening to them 4 years ago and realized these are terrible people, they've got terrible opinions, they're not funny, and I'd had those opinions for a while. Listen to any of their drunkesodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
what do they say there? I stopped listening because they're just super unfunny and boring.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I also am a “just stop listening “ person although Adam Carolla and Keith and the Girl I unsubbed from for content reasons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

sexpig by night posted:

what do they say there? I stopped listening because they're just super unfunny and boring.

There was an episode where one of the hosts talks about how when he was in high school there was a kid he didn't like so he got stickers made of his yearbook photo and started following him around and sticking them on his locker, in front of his house, etc to make him feel like he was being stalked and he presents it as some funny anecdote and not a weird thing he regrets doing. I think that for people who were only listening out of inertia/habit that was offputting enough to finally make them unsubscribe.

I had the same experience with Talking Simpsons when they had some weird digression about how it's kinkshaming to not want people to have sex in public places on the grounds that if you're out in public you're consenting to the possibility of seeing people doing things.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 3, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I think the Talking Simpsons boys are wonderful people and I'm happy to give them money when I can.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just listened to the first episode of Nice White Parents holy poo poo it's good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a role playing podcast where the players are inexperienced and/or drunk enough that they will make weird or obviously bad choices, but aren't intentionally being wacky monkey dishwasher types? Basically I want something like the D&D segments from Harmontown. I really liked those and when they ended I tried listening to one of the big RPG podcasts at the time, I forget which it was, but all the players were clearly experienced RPG players and were very efficient quick on the uptake. Which I found very boring

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Brian Posehn’s Nerd Poker gets fairly ridiculous and half of them are often pretty stoned. Most of them are comedians and they’re old friends too. I think that’s what I really like about it, they were already playing together before it was a podcast so you know they’re genuinely having fun with each other.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Have you tried Dragon Friends? It’s on like season 6 and they still barely know any of the rules and they tape two episodes at once so every other episode they’re drunk

David Harmon is a saint they constantly just gently caress up his DMing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve been meaning to listen to Dragon Friends because I like Australian accents but it’s taking forever to get through all the nerd poker bonus episodes where they play Star Wars or something other silly poo poo.

Sometime soon though :)

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
No Office Hours Live with Tim Heidecker thread in RGD? ಥ_ಥ

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BoosterDuck posted:

No Office Hours Live with Tim Heidecker thread in RGD? ಥ_ಥ

:justpost:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any good true crime podcasts?

I love casefile, bear Brook, obscura.

I enjoy trace evidence but all of its cases being unsolved can get a bit much.

I like true crime garage even though the captain can be a bit tiresome.

MFM is too much banter and too short cases.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Here is my true crime category in no particular order:

Wonderland Murders
Swindled
Small Town Dicks
Happy Face
Crime in Sports
Small Town Murder
Dark Poutine
Night Time

Night Time and Dark Poutine occasionally cover paranormal stuff, but it's real easy to see which ones those are.

If you are amenable to humor with your true crime, immediately give Crime in Sports a try. You absolutely do not need to give a poo poo about sports, know how the sport works, or have even heard of the criminal to enjoy it.

Give #156 - The King of Riker's Island a shot, it's about the boxer Mitch "Blood" Green, a shot if you want to see if you'll like it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks!

The boxing one was good. Tried a small town murder one from Florida and had to turn it off not to wake my gf from laughing.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Honestly the gold standard of true crime imo is In the Dark. If you like Bear Brook, you’ll probably like it. It’s in a whole different league of quality than the MFM and Dr Death type shows.

I also quite like Criminal, but it’s one crime per episode and it sounds like you prefer the serialized ones.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Cold is an amazing deep dive into a single case, it's probably the one I recommend most to people asking for true crime

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Believed was a great crime podcast about Larry Nassar but as someone who can usually sit through most upsetting content and be fine, I remember that and the Juanita Brodderick episode of Slow Burn being the only two podcast episodes I've almost had to turn off for being too visceral to stomach. They're both excellent and tastefully done but they both really drive home the savagery of sexual assault and rape in a way that most podcasts don't.

Gladiator was a really good recounting of Aaron Hernandez and Gravy Train was a good Rob Ford podcast; neither one sugarcoats their subject but they also don't *just* chalk everything about Hernandez up to CTE and call Rob Ford a pre-Trump and call it a day. The Dropout is a pretty decent Theranos podcast but if you've consumed some other Theranos media then it's kind of just more of the same now.

On the other end of the spectrum, The Thing About Pam is basically a plus-sized episode of Dateline with some pretty good twists.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thanks for the rec on The Thing About Pam. Just binged it and that was an insane story.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Which episodes of Something To Wrestle, out of the last 100 or so, are the most lurid?

I want tales of drugs and bar fights and pooping in suitcases.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks!

The boxing one was good. Tried a small town murder one from Florida and had to turn it off not to wake my gf from laughing.

What episode is the small town murder from Florida?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

TV Zombie posted:

What episode is the small town murder from Florida?

164, Greenwood, Florida. They also talk about the Two Egg stump jumper.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I recently stumbled across The Magnus Archives and have binged through episode 100 or so. It has a rough start and I don't think there was a particularly good episode until 15, but after they start getting into the overarching plot it really clicked with me.

Anyone have recommendations for other good fiction podcasts? Listened to Tanis/The Black Tapes a while back and initially liked them, but both seemed to degenerate towards not actually advancing the plot after a couple seasons. Note: I can't stand those that do the "old timey radio drama" schtick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Oh no, am I going to hate it in 8 episodes? I only have gone through 7 because I decided quickly it was only to be listened to when driving through the woods at midnight or on Halloween when I first had it recommended to me last year and I haven't been able to do much driving through the woods at midnight lately.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The BBC adaptations of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Whisperer in Darkness were very good.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I love The Weird Tales Podcast. Short stories both old and new with a great narrator.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So, I'm looking for a new podcast to listen to with my partner. We really enjoy(ed) serialized fiction podcasts from the Nightvale Presents family with our favorites being Alice Isn't Dead and the second season of Within the Wires.

We've enjoyed things done by our favorite comedians like the current program by Tig Notaro and the Oh Hello, Podcast.

Individually I tend to listen to zoology and history podcasts and she likes true crime, but it's not something we want to do together.

We tried listening to one of the many D&D things (Rude Tales of Magic) and neither of us really liked it. We don't want people ripping on a thing, unless I guess it's people we particularly like, and would rather absurd or strange fiction, but not necessarily urban legends and the like. I looked at the above Weird Tales and that's just actual stories, which is good, but not exactly what we have in mind.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

For light-hearted fare, I highly recommend the following:

Victoriocity - A detective comedy drama || Even Greater London, 1887. In this vast metropolis, Inspector Archibald Fleet and journalist Clara Entwhistle investigate a murder, only to find themselves at the centre of a conspiracy of impossible proportions.

Even if you hate steampunk as much as I do, give this a shot.

Dark Ages - A High Fantasy Workplace Comedy Audio Drama Podcast.

It basically takes high fantasy tropes and skewers them by turning it into a workplace comedy, but it works because it has compelling characters, a great metaplot, and superb production.

Tales from the Aletheian Society - Tales from the Aletheian Society is a serialised comedy-horror audio drama about the misadventures of a society of Victorian occultists.

This one is more serious than Victoriocity, but still includes some wonderful comedic moments. Great characters and an occult focus, if that appeals, make it quite different.

For more serious fare:

Archive 81 - Archive 81 is a fiction podcast about horror, cities, and the subconscious.

This one is harder to describe without spoiling. The first season seems weak at first, but it lays a lot of groundwork and it eventually turns into something horrific and beautiful. The second and third seasons each feature almost entirely new casts, same for the interludes, but it all weaves together in an incredibly satisfying way.

The Magnus Archives - “Make your statement, face your fear.” A weekly horror fiction podcast examining what lurks in the archives of the Magnus Institute, an organisation dedicated to researching the esoteric and the weird. Join Jonathan Sims as he explores the archive, but be be warned, as he looks into its depths something starts to look back… New episodes every Thursday produced by Rusty Quill, featuring guest actors, short stories, serial plots and more.

Starts out with very creepy "monster of the week" episodes and very slowly evolves a metaplot after a several dozen episodes. Really creepy, atmospheric, and we'll done.

I Am In Eskew - Trapped in the horror-filled and impossible city of Eskew, a man makes endless recordings of his day-to-day experiences, hoping to reach the outside world.

This is the heaviest of the list, and features some genuinely disturbing moments. It is also endlessly creative and is a hell of a ride from beginning to end.

Wolf 359 - Life's not easy for Doug Eiffel, the communications officer for the U.S.S. Hephaestus Research Station, currently on Day 448 of its orbit around red dwarf star Wolf 359. He's stuck on a scientific survey mission of indeterminate length, 7.8 light years from Earth. His only company on board the station are stern mission chief Minkowski, insane science officer Hilbert, and Hephaestus Station's sentient, often malfunctioning operating system Hera. He doesn't have much to do for his job other than monitoring static and intercepting the occasional decades-old radio broadcast from Earth, so he spends most of his time creating extensive audio logs about the ordinary, day-to-day happenings within the station. But the Hephaestus is an odd place, and life in extremely isolated, zero gravity conditions has a way of doing funny things to people's minds. Even the simplest of tasks can turn into a gargantuan struggle, and the most ordinary-seeming things have a way of turning into anything but that. Wolf 359 is a radio drama in the tradition of Golden Age of Radio shows. Take one part space-faring adventure, add one part character drama, and mix in one part absurdist sitcom, and you get Wolf 359.

Note, although this one starts off really light-hearted, it definitely gets more serious as it goes. Really great performances, inspired writing, and excellent production values.