Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm using a psu from 2013 in my PC and according to what I've read online that might be a bit old, and they should be replaced every 5 years? I'm not sure how many watts it is but I think it's 600, maybe looking on the PSU will solve that. Anyway, is it true or still unconfirmed that the new Nvidia cards will need a new PSU or at least some kind of adapter? Also, how long are the 2080 cards on average? I want to see if my case is big enough for whatever the 3070 equivalent is likely to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Sometimes it's seven years, but yeah, it's about time you replace it.

As for the adapter, it's happening, but only as an OEM thing according to GN, whether that means more dumb triple plugs or business as usual here on the consumer side.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
All this watercooling talk has brought me back to the idea of... idk what you'd call it, fresh water cooling? Depending on your well situation, cold water can be effectively infinite and borderline free. I half want to buy just a waterblock or two and plumb them directly to cold water. It'd cost something like a penny a day to pump way more ~15c max water than I could reasonably use. Of course it's a horribly inefficient use of my time, but it seems so funny that I keep coming back to the idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

All this watercooling talk has brought me back to the idea of... idk what you'd call it, fresh water cooling? Depending on your well situation, cold water can be effectively infinite and borderline free. I half want to buy just a waterblock or two and plumb them directly to cold water. It'd cost something like a penny a day to pump way more ~15c max water than I could reasonably use. Of course it's a horribly inefficient use of my time, but it seems so funny that I keep coming back to the idea.

Geothermal cooling. Use the earth as your heat sink!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

For one thing you'd build up mineral deposits in your waterblock pretty quickly.

I do want to put a hole in a my floor and have a giant rear end radiator under my house, I think that would be sick. Could put a pretty noisy fan on there no problem, as well as the pump!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LRADIKAL posted:

For one thing you'd build up mineral deposits in your waterblock pretty quickly.

I do want to put a hole in a my floor and have a giant rear end radiator under my house, I think that would be sick. Could put a pretty noisy fan on there no problem, as well as the pump!

The ideal would be a closed loop with radiators built into the ground to dissipate heat into the earth and take advantage of the low temperature underground.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

K8.0 posted:

Linus's people did it once. It worked great in the short term at least. Don't remember which video.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Some Goon posted:

Linus's people did it once. It worked great in the short term at least. Don't remember which video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXyyJyEtVI
Only because this came up in my recommended not too long ago and I thought it was fuckin hilarious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Le Saboteur posted:

Wanted to come back around on this, seems like the lowest I can get a 2060 S right now is around $550 in Canada. But if I can get an RTX 2070 for $530 thats probably the better value purchase yeah?

Yup. They're effectively the same card - every benchmark at stock clocks falls within a single-digit margin of error percentage.

Only thing I might counsel is waiting - the prices on ALL 2xxx cards will probably drop once nVidia gets around to actually announcing the next gen. And if there is a dark horse announcement like "DLSS 2.5/3.0 will ~only~ work on RTX 3xxx cards," you won't be stuck having spent 530 Canuckbux on something that won't run the ~new hotness~.

That being said, if you eat the extra :20bux: and go with the EVGA SC Black I see on PCPP.ca, that affords you the ability to use their Step Up program (if you register for it).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 2, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i love that linus had the bright idea of using copper piping for his giant "all the office computers" loop so the room got real hot as soon as the machines came on lmfao

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The ideal would be a closed loop with radiators built into the ground to dissipate heat into the earth and take advantage of the low temperature underground.

To the way back machine!

https://www.overclock.net/forum/134-cooling-experiments/671177-12-feet-under-1000-square-feet-geothermal-pc-cooling.html#/topics/671177

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

https://www.wired.com/2012/03/google-sewer-water/

Of course, this idea is not new, people have been tapping their toilet tanks to temper tech thermals for as long as the internet has been around, and those are only the examples that we know about. "Hang on guys, I gotta go flush the toilet, my temps are getting kinda high."

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/124677-how-to-cool-a-pc-with-toilet-water

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 2, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, that's the biggest issue with using any sort of open water supply system: the impurities in it kill the lifespan of your blocks pretty significantly.

Now, running a longer loop so you can stick the radiator out a window and dump the heat somewhere not your room is a legitimate idea, depending on your setup. Just have to have a pump strong enough to push the extra fluid and clean the radiator fins every so often.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Truga posted:

i love that linus had the bright idea of using copper piping for his giant "all the office computers" loop so the room got real hot as soon as the machines came on lmfao

"So preoccupied about if they ~could~, never thought about if they *should*..."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Now you guys got me to consider dropping my water loop, should the 3080 cards be too large. >:[

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
You guys might enjoy this

https://podcasts.apple.com/de/podcast/special-edition-sapphire-technologies-talks-all-things/id1113193062?i=1000486429573

https://soundcloud.com/thefullnerd/special-edition-sapphire-technologies-talks-all-things-gpu-and-pc-gaming

Join The Full Nerd gang as they talk about the latest PC hardware topics. In today's special episode we talk with Sapphire Technologies Ed Crisler about designing graphics cards, GPU thermal constraints, horrible PC game box art, and so much more including your questions!

They very early discuss the purpose of Founders Edition GPUs, and from there on that episode got me with new insights and interesting discussions about enthusiasts vs casual gamer GPU needs etc.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 2, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

I doubt this would be much of a problem for me. If it were, I could always go even more full retard and have a custom vapor chamber going to a larger heat exchanger with fins that wouldn't clog so easily.

IME a closed loop system of any substantial size is inevitably going to have worse issues with contamination than a constant flow open system, unless you are building it a ridiculous standard.

If you did want to build a large-scale closed system, direct burying a shitload of PEX would be better than a radiator + fan, last longer, and be more aesthetically pleasing. Ground is cooler than air, pipe coiled in the ground makes a very effective, reliable, and cost efficient heat exchanger, you avoid the need for a fan, and you can greatly reduce the number of connections in your system which is where you're going to have issues. Of course, most of you would need to rent an excavator for a day to dig the trench, but if your cooling system doesn't cost more than your PC, are you even serious?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

Both nvidia and arm have softbank as an investor so this oddball matchup -- arm is not worth 32 billion -- is to make Son not look too stupid

I mean, it's a pretty loving deep hole WeWork dug, so really anything is an improvement.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Anecdotally the natural progression of PC builds is cheap air cooling -> good air cooling -> watercooling soft or aio -> hard tubing -> good air cooling

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

IME a closed loop system of any substantial size is inevitably going to have worse issues with contamination than a constant flow open system, unless you are building it a ridiculous standard.

What makes you think this?

I have a crawl space under my house, that even in the summer is cooler than outside air. A bonus of it being down there is it can afford to be a bit noisy without anyone noticing, and it is not circulating the air it is warming back into the system(s).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Clearly some kind of dry ice bucket would be the superior cooling solution, preferably with LEDs to provide immersive lighting to the CO2 fog coming out of it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

DOOMocrat posted:

Anecdotally the natural progression of PC builds is cheap air cooling -> good air cooling -> watercooling soft or aio -> hard tubing -> good air cooling
Yeah, hard tubing is a big enough pain to work with that it would drive many people back to air. Although the other reason is that hard tubing generally can't be reused for a new or upgraded system (soft tubing can).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

What makes you think this?

I have a crawl space under my house, that even in the summer is cooler than outside air. A bonus of it being down there is it can afford to be a bit noisy without anyone noticing, and it is not circulating the air it is warming back into the system(s).

Just general experience and knowledge. Sand is a great filter, so an open system feeding from a good well is feeding some pretty drat clean water, and is continually flushing itself. I agree that if there's much hardness you're going to have problems, but a lot of people aren't in that situation. A closed system will have anything in it precipitate out, and any corrosion or bacteria that starts to form will tend to multiply since it's never driven out. Unless you do an exceptional job of building a system that won't corrode, purging it very well, and filling it with a very pure fluid, you almost always end up with something really nasty pretty drat quick. It's hard to accomplish on a large scale.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I have vague notion of what good water cooling options are, but what is “good air cooling” for GPUs? Select OEM coolers are better than others? Are there aftermarket air coolers available? The case airflow must be wind tunnel-like?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SamEyeAm posted:

I’m in the market for a gaming laptop, looking around the $1,000-1,300 USD price point. I’m weighing some laptops on the lower end of that price point that have a GeForce GTX 1660ti, against a few on the higher end that have RTX 2060. Assuming everything else is equal, is the 2060 worth an extra $300? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

$1,000 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542059-REG/msi_gf65_thin_9sd_252_gf65_i7_9750h.html

vs. $1,300 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1543440-REG/lenovo_81y60004us_15_6_legion_5_gaming.html

Not sure if you're still looking, and normally I'd have PMed this to you (but you don't have that capability) but: https://www.techbargains.com/deals/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14

That $1299 price is their .EDU discount (and I think the $100 off ends at midnight tonight), or it's +$100 otherwise. The 4900HS can get toasty, I've heard, but the features on that SKU are pretty impressive for the price.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

iv46vi posted:

I have vague notion of what good water cooling options are, but what is “good air cooling” for GPUs? Select OEM coolers are better than others? Are there aftermarket air coolers available? The case airflow must be wind tunnel-like?

In short, if you have good air pressure blowing onto the card, you get less buildup of hot air overall. Blower coolers are considered not as ideal unless you have no space, and not all 2x/3x fan configs are created equal you really have to just see the benches on individual cards.

Third party air coolers for GPUs still exist but afaik have heavily fallen out of use unless you have a reference layout card that has a cooler fail.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

Third party air coolers for GPUs still exist but afaik have heavily fallen out of use unless you have a reference layout card that has a cooler fail.

Rijintek and Arctic still make good huge finstack coolers, but the problem right now with the rtx lineup is the fan connector being some weird 14pin connector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-9k5cRbrPU

The Rijintek Morpheus II seems to be really popular with people with the Ncase M1.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 3, 2020

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

Just general experience and knowledge. Sand is a great filter, so an open system feeding from a good well is feeding some pretty drat clean water, and is continually flushing itself. I agree that if there's much hardness you're going to have problems, but a lot of people aren't in that situation. A closed system will have anything in it precipitate out, and any corrosion or bacteria that starts to form will tend to multiply since it's never driven out. Unless you do an exceptional job of building a system that won't corrode, purging it very well, and filling it with a very pure fluid, you almost always end up with something really nasty pretty drat quick. It's hard to accomplish on a large scale.

I don't believe running from a tap will get you better results than using glycerol+water and/or distilled water. Loops last for years and years and only gunk up if there was a mistake or intentional shortcuts by the manufacturer/assembler.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

movax posted:

I mean, it's a pretty loving deep hole WeWork dug, so really anything is an improvement.

True but we work is now under decent management. It was the garbage side businesses and excess expansion that was useless. Individual buildings were profitable.

Nvidia buying arm for softbank inflated prices is dumb and jensen is not usually stupid

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 3, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DOOMocrat posted:

God, it's painful to remember myself at each and every one of these junctures.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

ughhhh posted:

Rijintek and Arctic still make good huge finstack coolers, but the problem right now with the rtx lineup is the fan connector being some weird 14pin connector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-9k5cRbrPU

The Rijintek Morpheus II seems to be really popular with people with the Ncase M1.

drat, wish 3rd party cards came like that. I don't think most people are lacking for slot clearance and a beefier heatsinks and two decent fans can't cost a lot more than current triple fan solutions.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 3, 2020

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007

movax posted:

Am I going crazy or did I remember NVIDIA's Falcon being based on RISC-V as their new mini processor they are sprinkling on all their hardware (inside all of their ASICs)? Not that they were doing it to try and completely side-step / avoid ARM, but not having to pay a license fee on every GPU they sell + getting your feet wet with a different ISA is always a good thing. I'm not intimately familiar with Mellanox's offerings under the hood, but since they now got that business too, I wonder if there is some consolidation of processors to be had.

The crazy thing to me was diving into the Jetson (IIRC) block diagram and realizing how hog-wild they went with sprinkling SIP blocks around — IIRC the audio subsystem has a full Cortex-A9 hanging out in there because I'm sure someone there was like "Well I not only have the RTL but also a layout for this block, so glue it to your AXI bus and hey, free audio "DSP"!".

It was more that they were using a custom risc-v core to replace their existing falcon cores, some background here. I'm not sure if buying ARM outright changes the calculus much, since it seems like a lot of it is they want something as primitive as possible to not suck up die area.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God, it's painful to remember myself at each and every one of these junctures.

Oh poo poo I feel seen about to enter stage 3 (I'm willing to spend a bit of extra money to play with this toy).

Intellectually I know that water cooling is just a good air cooling setup with an unnecessary intermediate stage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of me wants to do a water cooled setup where the loop goes to a radiator that’s contained in a mini fridge or similar to see what kind of temps it gets. The power efficiency would be fuckin’ awful though.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Part of me wants to do a water cooled setup where the loop goes to a radiator that’s contained in a mini fridge or similar to see what kind of temps it gets. The power efficiency would be fuckin’ awful though.

It'll work fantastically...for a little while, until the air in the fridge warms up. Since you're not expelling the hot air out the fridge like a case would, you eventually will just heat the fridge up to match the thermals of the hardware.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At that point just get a chiller, just have to be careful about cooling the water below room temperature (condensation water + PC hardware = :thunk:)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Carecat posted:

drat, wish 3rd party cards came like that. I don't think most people are lacking for slot clearance and a beefier heatsinks and two decent fans can't cost a lot more than current triple fan solutions.

Can't overvolt Nvidia cards and none of them draw that much power besides the 2080ti (which does have some pretty beefy custom coolers afaik) so the niche for quad slot cooling on <$1000 cards is very slim. Maybe if AMD get their poo poo together or the next gen from Nvidia actually pulls a stupid amount of power for some reason?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Until it leaks and you poison yourself.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I remember the shock of reading about the first guy to build a DIY water block for his CPU on slashdot forever ago. I'd never even heard of anything but air cooling, so I wasn't sure if it wasn't some elaborate hoax at first. I went through the emotions of "this is so risky! He is going to have a leak that ruins his computer" to "I wonder if my parents would murder me if I tried this."

IIRC he lived somewhere cold and ran the loop outside through a window to a sealed container.. my brain is split on whether it was an aquarium or an ice chest he modified for the purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm going to build my next gaming rig in a small tent in the middle of the arctic circle. Anyone got any good generator recommendations?