Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've never had an issue with steam recommending me garbage as well, tho I do have the 'anime' tag blacklisted in my preferences hah. The queue is usually half and half stuff I'd be interested in and stuff I wouldn't, with the occasional out of left field oddball that... isn't a bad thing to have show up? And that new-ish interactive recommender has been an absolute godsend for finding games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Mason Dixon posted:

I started Outer Wilds a while back, but only played maybe an hour. I keep meaning to go back, but then I keep remembering how controlling that ship just felt incredibly awkward and annoying, makes exploring feel like a chore rather than fun. I'd rather navigate the Cyclops in the Lost River any day.

It's a little funky at first but it's well worth your time to try again. Really, would I steer you wrong?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

uPen posted:

The solar system is a big clock that you're exploring and things are different at different times. You'll probably kill yourself intentionally to explore a different place or time than you will hit the timeout. The only time the timer matters is once you figure out what is happening and have to actually do all the things in a single reset, and that's basically a victory lap as opposed to being stressful.

This sounds like Zelda: Majora's Mask in space and the thought is both scary and wonderful.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Steam and Epic both suck in different ways. Steam is horribly exploitative and tries to monetize goddamn everything, but the multiplayer stuff is really good compared to what trying to do multiplayer on PC was like before it. Even though the store has some issues it's still so much better than trying to use the Epic store. Honestly I think the PS store is better than the Epic store front. But Epic funding developers with the limited exclusivity period has been good for some games getting made.

Both have their good and bad points, but both are owned by big game companies so neither of them deserves your brand loyalty in the slightest.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

HiKaizer posted:

Steam and Epic both suck in different ways. Steam is horribly exploitative and tries to monetize goddamn everything, but the multiplayer stuff is really good compared to what trying to do multiplayer on PC was like before it. Even though the store has some issues it's still so much better than trying to use the Epic store. Honestly I think the PS store is better than the Epic store front. But Epic funding developers with the limited exclusivity period has been good for some games getting made.

Both have their good and bad points, but both are owned by big game companies so neither of them deserves your brand loyalty in the slightest.

What does Steam try to monetize? The card crap? That is entirely pointless and can be ignored you make it sound like you have to pay for friends list or basic functionality.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I tend to take steam multiplayer for granted, until I play a game that doesn't have it and I get real sad.

Speaking of which, anyone spent any time with Grounded yet? Still in early access and I hear the story can be beat in a couple of hours at the moment, but they are planning on many many more updates. I spent about an hour with it and was really impressed so far.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 31, 2020

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

socialsecurity posted:

What does Steam try to monetize? The card crap? That is entirely pointless and can be ignored you make it sound like you have to pay for friends list or basic functionality.

Nah I mean they try to get you to buy every sale as much as they can with huge bundles or weird things like special emotes and banners. As you say you can completely ignore it, but it still sucks and is greedy. No they don't charge you for features though thankfully, although I wonder if that would be enough to kill off the platform or not...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"Tries to entice people to buy things" is a really weird complaint to level at a store, since that's kind of their entire purpose.

The store recommendations got a lot better after I figured out how to blacklist Anime tags, though for some reason it will still periodically include those games in a recommendation queue, with them greyed out and a note that it's on my blacklist. Which... great, okay, you've identified it's a genre I'm not interested in, maybe take that off the list? My biggest complaint with that whole system is that it's very obtuse to figure out how to blacklist tags, and it's very limited in terms of what preferences you can set. It's all cool and futuristic for a recommendation algorithm to dynamically learn what I like to play, but it would be nice to be able to give some direct input as well.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Tries to entice people to buy things" is a really weird complaint to level at a store, since that's kind of their entire purpose.

The store recommendations got a lot better after I figured out how to blacklist Anime tags, though for some reason it will still periodically include those games in a recommendation queue, with them greyed out and a note that it's on my blacklist. Which... great, okay, you've identified it's a genre I'm not interested in, maybe take that off the list? My biggest complaint with that whole system is that it's very obtuse to figure out how to blacklist tags, and it's very limited in terms of what preferences you can set. It's all cool and futuristic for a recommendation algorithm to dynamically learn what I like to play, but it would be nice to be able to give some direct input as well.

Is it possible to blacklist pixel art games? Because that would wipe out like 60% of the junk games to wade through when I am shopping.

On Subnautica side, I just played a little since the Salad update and there is still a ton of 'temp' descriptions.
So some progress but still a ton to go.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm old enough to remember people boycotting Half-Life 2 because it required buyers to authenticate disc copies with a CDKey and through Steam - A New Platform Which Everyone Hated.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Khanstant posted:

The only folks I've seen that didn't enjoy Outer Wilds is people have some kind of timerphobia, which I don't think could even be solved by changing timer length. The timer could be set longer than the universe will exist and it would still bug the hell out of some. I guess that's just an inherent risk to the medium, no matter how good something might be, it can't be for everyone because the player themselves is a huge part of the game. Outer Wilds can't be a good game while someone who isn't liking is playing it.

Honestly, if the time loop was two hours, I probably wouldn’t have an issue with it. Under a short timer the idea of exploration for me tends to get really compressed into a “need to make the best of the time I have, get the most done before it all goes away thing that really pulls any fun out of exploration. I’ll probably uninstall it and watch/read spoilers for it until such time as any kind of mod becomes available to remove or mitigate the timer. It sucks because otherwise it’s a game that is right up my alley in every other way, but that one thing is totally enough to kill all the rest of it for me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

khy posted:

Back when they first introduced the 'discovery queue' I gave it a try and in the first queue it gave me, 2 out of the 12 games were AAA games I already had on my wishlist and the other 10 were indie stuff I had zero interest in. I declined them all and the second queue was about the same. So I gave up on the discovery queue.

A while later when they finally started allowing visual novels and H Games and the like I was in a discussion group with others, some people shared around some really low quality garbage in a 'LOL look what crap is on Steam now' and I looked at it. Steam took my looking at it as interest because for the next week and a half after doing so it constantly threw lovely asset flips and poor quality VN's into the 'recommended' list on my front page.

How do you shop for games? I search for what I want and I buy it if I want. Who cares what the recommended poo poo on the front page is? :psyduck:

This is a weird thing to get upset at that Epic does as well.

khy posted:

Then there's the sales where they keep trying to introduce the awful gimmicks. I don't give a poo poo about whatever collectible system you've introduced in your latest winter sale, all I want is good deals on video games. I have a limited budget and I want to stretch that budget to accomodate as many games as I can. Trading cards, the 'points shop' where you buy animated stickers and emojis and dear god it's all just so stupid. Why do I need all this crap just on a system that I use to buy and play video games?

Then... don't... use them? You can totally ignore them and get the deals? :psyduck:

Everything you say is just so :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's also the only game I can recall where the conclusion actually brought me to tears, specifically the point where the individual melodies of all the Hearthians playing their instruments came together into one melody

Really? The ending was a huge wet fart for me. Not being in the eye because that trippy stuff is cool. Just the story ending. You spend all game trying to figure out what led to the star going supernova and attempting to find a way to break the cycle and save your home... PSYCHE. Not only does the ending still end with your solar system being destroyed, it ends with the whole universe being destroyed. gently caress you, Player. There's so many neat stuff in the game and it just fizzles out at the end.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OgNar posted:

Is it possible to blacklist pixel art games? Because that would wipe out like 60% of the junk games to wade through when I am shopping.

Yeah just filter that tag. It's probably "pixel graphics"

Preferences page:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Triple post because gently caress your unread count.

khy posted:

Back when they first introduced the 'discovery queue' I gave it a try and in the first queue it gave me, 2 out of the 12 games were AAA games I already had on my wishlist and the other 10 were indie stuff I had zero interest in. I declined them all and the second queue was about the same. So I gave up on the discovery queue.

A while later when they finally started allowing visual novels and H Games and the like I was in a discussion group with others, some people shared around some really low quality garbage in a 'LOL look what crap is on Steam now' and I looked at it. Steam took my looking at it as interest because for the next week and a half after doing so it constantly threw lovely asset flips and poor quality VN's into the 'recommended' list on my front page.

Looking for that image for my last post, I found settings for drat near everything you complained about.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Okan170 posted:

Honestly, if the time loop was two hours, I probably wouldn’t have an issue with it. Under a short timer the idea of exploration for me tends to get really compressed into a “need to make the best of the time I have, get the most done before it all goes away thing that really pulls any fun out of exploration. I’ll probably uninstall it and watch/read spoilers for it until such time as any kind of mod becomes available to remove or mitigate the timer. It sucks because otherwise it’s a game that is right up my alley in every other way, but that one thing is totally enough to kill all the rest of it for me.

More than any other game I can really think of that I've played, spoilers are probably the worst thing you can do in terms of enjoying the game play of outer wilds. Its a metroidvania where all of the tools you get is just you as the player receiving knowledge. The worst thing about the game is that I cannot play it for the first time again. Spoilers could potentially turn this from a 16 hour long super immersive game to a 16 minute long game.

On the loop: there was only maybe 2 or 3 times where I felt rushed to explore an area because the loop was ending and honestly it just added to the experience. It was good to feel desperation in an otherwise chill game. There's really only one place I can think of that takes like more than 7 minutes to get to from the start of the loop so its really not a big deal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Okan170 posted:

I should probably not keep this derail going, but the explorations are built around the idea that it will take ~15 minutes for each one, so you are usually looking forward to the Loop Music by the time it plays.

Here's the same guy who got me into Subnautica playing Outer Wilds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6-Pw0AWocE

And just to make this thread-relevant, here's the Subnautica video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've tried naming it other things, but it always comes back to this.

e: you know the only good thing about the truck over the seamoth is that in the truck when I just jump out, i dont take 1/3 damage from it slamming me in my rear end.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 2, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

OgNar posted:

I've tried naming it other things, but it always comes back to this.

e: you know the only good thing about the truck over the seamoth is that in the truck when I just jump out, i dont take 1/3 damage from it slamming me in my rear end.

:hellyeah:

Post your subs!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I should probably not keep this derail going, but the explorations are built around the idea that it will take ~15 minutes for each one, so you are usually looking forward to the Loop Music by the time it plays.

Here's the same guy who got me into Subnautica playing Outer Wilds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6-Pw0AWocE

And just to make this thread-relevant, here's the Subnautica video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

Oh those guys are great. I watched their whole Subnautica series. I'll have to watch these.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Okan170 posted:

The groundhog nature of it means you have as much time as you want. You don't keep anything through each loop besides what you know in your head. My first go-around the game I spent 22 minutes exploring the first planet I got, without ever going in to talk to the guy or activate the time loop. I somehow ended up in this water chasm and I was goofing around in these water jet streams and suddenly burned up, figured I hit a patch of ghost matter. I closed the game and made a joke review of the game, noting my playtime on Steam, not even realizing that there was a time loop mechanic yet. I actually got through several more loops moseying around dying to what I thought was ghost matter patches till I finally sorted out the sun was asploding.

You're seeing a timer but it's like how a clock has a 22 minute mark on it, it's not a timer everytime it loops around, it just keeps going, time doesn't end after the 22, there are more minutes. I have 29.4 in Outer Wilds and not even all the achievements or archeologist yet, thought the game was chill AF and I go slow and take my drat time exploring. There's no reason to rush or be optimized.

If nothing else, if you just can't get over the groundhogs day thing, boot the game up one last time before uninstalling and treat yourself to a visit to the comet. Land on it somewhere and just ice skate around it for a whole loop. You can get some really nice gliding speed and hop around and play with the tiny-planet mario galaxy gravity ship going on. Enjoy the view, have fun with the moment of not being sure if you're out of the gravity of the comet or not and the kind of cool perspective illusion that happens at some points while skate/gliding. Some loops I went to comet as just a cool place to play around while waiting for the big event but once I went just for the full ride and came back for seconds for a longer trip once I learned a little trick there.

If nothing else, the comet, and other areas, offer some really fun stuff to play around with and it's worth doing for 10 minutes or so.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The best part about Neebs and Appsros Subnautica Lets Play is that they actually got some audio work in the game from that series.

Open link to current time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutKaaVZ-Lc&t=1900s

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Every time I click on this thread, I keep getting confused whether it's the Subnautica thread, Outer Wilds, general Steam discussion, or some weird mix.

OgNar posted:

Gods, this. There's so much pixel art garbage on Steam.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Every time I click on this thread, I keep getting confused whether it's the Subnautica thread, Outer Wilds, general Steam discussion, or some weird mix.

This thread has been going for so long, every new post is either:

a.) "Is Below Zero out and/or playable yet?"

b.) Epic vs. Steam turf war, part 69420

c.) "This is my first play through, where do I find <thing>?"

d.) "The Cyclops is awesome/sucks rear end, and here's why."

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Khanstant posted:

If nothing else, if you just can't get over the groundhogs day thing, boot the game up one last time before uninstalling and treat yourself to a visit to the comet. Land on it somewhere and just ice skate around it for a whole loop. You can get some really nice gliding speed and hop around and play with the tiny-planet mario galaxy gravity ship going on. Enjoy the view, have fun with the moment of not being sure if you're out of the gravity of the comet or not and the kind of cool perspective illusion that happens at some points while skate/gliding. Some loops I went to comet as just a cool place to play around while waiting for the big event but once I went just for the full ride and came back for seconds for a longer trip once I learned a little trick there.

If nothing else, the comet, and other areas, offer some really fun stuff to play around with and it's worth doing for 10 minutes or so.

Fair enough, I'll make that the goal if I can manage to get there in time. I've already gone through the entire story via the wiki and watching other people play, and I really think its wonderful. Getting zapped back to start was just infuriating and frustrating because its a game where I'd love to spend an hour crawling around the universe and exploring, and figuring it all out while under the gun is the perfect way to kill it all for me- its like I need to keep a running diary of what I'm doing so when it gets interrupted I can pick it back up next time. Its no issue if I reset when I die, but it just feels like a constant punishment to have it happen on a timer. I understand its integral to the game's story, but its so un-fun I'll probably come back when I can find a mod to disable it. (I'm pretty good at intentionally suspending my own disbelief if I want to, and I can just imagine its happening)

Relating it back to Subnautica, I imagine it'd be similar to if the game had a time loop around the Aurora exploding- a real shame since so much of Subnautica is great for taking your time and poking around at your own pace. I suppose the extreme opposite is Below Zero's current state which seems to have very little if any structure, and all exploration right now. Its funny the way that I never really felt overly in want of a detailed map in Subnautica, but all the on-land bits of Below Zero tend to get very disorienting which is an interesting different wrinkle in the exploration mechanic, but I wonder if it could be improved with some distinctive scenery.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 2, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The Games Chat Thread moves too fast so I’m bad about shoehorning general VG Chat into threads when the opportunity pops up...I feel like there is also better discussion in the smaller threads? The Threadnaught has a bad SnR...
:ohdear:

Is BZ out yet, though? :haw:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Comrade Koba posted:

This thread has been going for so long, every new post is either:

a.) "Is Below Zero out and/or playable yet?"

b.) Epic vs. Steam turf war, part 69420

c.) "This is my first play through, where do I find <thing>?"

d.) "The Cyclops is awesome/sucks rear end, and here's why."

A) It's not finished but it's playable

B) Steam good, Epic BETTER, commence part 69421

C) it's at <location>

D) I usually skip the Cyclops because it's more trouble than it's worth, and here's why ...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cobbsprite posted:

A) It's not finished but it's playable

B) Steam good, Epic BETTER, commence part 69421

C) it's at <location>

D) I usually skip the Cyclops because it's more trouble than it's worth, and here's why ...

*thread collapses into a singularity*

I guess I should try Outer Wilds. And also The Outer Worlds, because I can never remember which is which and they both sound fun.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm old enough to remember people boycotting Half-Life 2 because it required buyers to authenticate disc copies with a CDKey and through Steam - A New Platform Which Everyone Hated.
To be fair, Steam was horrible, slow and clunky on launch. I was not a fan, but boy did it improve quickly.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a game where your in something like the cyclops for the majority of the gameplay?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I guess I should try Outer Wilds. And also The Outer Worlds, because I can never remember which is which and they both sound fun.

Outer Worlds would have been GOTY 2011? :shrug:

Cobbsprite posted:

:ssj:

fite me

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a game where your in something like the cyclops for the majority of the gameplay?

Sadly...no. Star Citizen has spent $300M and ten years trying to make that game. :laugh:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Azuth0667 posted:

Barotrauma?
Serious answer, nope, the genre of cool underwater exploration games is intensely lacking.
You have Endless Ocean and uhhhhhh Beyond Blue?
The whole chill diving game niche is very open, World of Diving turned out to be half-assed trash.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Outer Wilds is loving excellent. Thread delivers. It was also like $11 CAD on EPIC so this is topical thanks namaste.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So even though I have a shitload of games I haven't played, some i have even recently bought.
And I still decided to start another BZ save knowing that its still broken.

Just because I love swimming so much.

Anyway, they got a new voice actor for Robin.
I liked the girl they had before.
And the new girl isn't even British, somehow makes her seem... not as smart.

Also the Brinewing seems a lot more dangerous than it was before.
Maybe because I don't remember it being dangerous.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Okan170 posted:

Nah man, really, a 2 hour or no timer would kill the game. 22 minutes is exactly right. 22 minutes is just slightly longer than every expedition you make, and in that time you are likely to 1) die 2) lose your ship 3) get lost 4) run out of stuff to do.

I hate timer games and I've never once in this game had the timer run out on me before I was ready to restart. A few times I've wanted a way to speed it up cause I've gotten myself into a really terrible situation and want it to end.

Really.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Nah man, really, a 2 hour or no timer would kill the game. 22 minutes is exactly right. 22 minutes is just slightly longer than every expedition you make, and in that time you are likely to 1) die 2) lose your ship 3) get lost 4) run out of stuff to do.

I hate timer games and I've never once in this game had the timer run out on me before I was ready to restart. A few times I've wanted a way to speed it up cause I've gotten myself into a really terrible situation and want it to end.

Really.

You can talk to the guy on Giant's Deep who teaches you to meditate and can then skip to the next loop whenever you want.
:glomp:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Below Zero things.

You may already know these.
I've discovered that if you make the truck+modules near vertical, you'll just get right out instead of getting out of your seat first.

The squidy guy who steals your tools will later bring you resources if you sticky a recipe that needs it.
Basically, I have had them collecting magnetite and nickel for me constantly.

So built the level 3 depth without having to dive down below at all first.

Its a bit of a cheat really.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
The first time a "sea monkey" came up to me, I just about died of joy at how cute and fun they were. Then it stole my scanner and started to run away. I made the most sudden switch to upset and outraged. It was glorious.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
At least their nests are a good source of stuff to scan.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Yay, I finished the game! I rarely finish things, but I did this one (without spoilers).

I don't think this is too big of a spoiler, but just in case: I love the time capsules - they are a nice touch. At the same time, it's kind of silly that so many people leave basic tools that you make in the first five minutes that you won't find until you're essentially nearly at the end of the game. I understand it a little from a thematic standpoint, and also from a gameplay standpoint that leaving someone a big slug of nickel would kind of spoil some of the gameplay, but still - I don't really need a scanner and knife at the end of the game.

I really liked the theme and gameplay. I thought I would be annoyed by the lack of a real "foe," as I usually need some sort of push back from a game, but surprisingly it didn't bother me much here. I was more annoyed by what I thought was a little clumsy gating by certain resources nickel in particular, as well as how the game kind of prompts you to start the rocket platform much earlier than you really need to, but no game is perfect.

All in all, I really enjoyed the experience. I recommended it immediately to my daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the nickel thing is just you, the ebb and flow of what's in shortage is really variable on playthroughs. I had an awkward moment when goofing around in lategame that I realized I had run out of copper of all things and had basically stripped the safe shallows of the stuff, took a bit of embarrassed scrounging to get back on track.