Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Buyback rates loving suck so the only way you'll make money is if the pound drastically drops for some catastrophic reason - wait ok, probably not a bad idea

Tbh what is more likely to happen is that bureaus won't buy back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Christ, I forgot Brexit was still a thing.

I never thought I'd be wishing for a time where it was the main thing to worry about but here we are

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Yeah, travel people started popping up on my Facebook feed and I imagine Instagram would be worse but I don't log in as long as I can help it. I use Instagram for event tracking, last-minute deals, and announcements so not many reasons to log in.

What is more worrying is the social meetups starting up. Oh yes what I definitely need is to have a Bachata session during a global pandemic transmitted through particles we breathe and exercise social distancing. I saw some "hunters" (people using Couchsurfing or meetups to hookup) started hosting picnics and events as well from my mail notification etc.

If places like Shoreditch is like full on the swing now, no amount of Facebook shaming or tut-tut in Morrison's line will help things for the better.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I wouldn't be too keen on using the Euro as some great measure of stability given Eurozone leaders managed to make everyone pissed off at them again

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I bunch of ppl I know went to spain right before the quarantine restrictions were announced including a coworker of mine lol rip

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Genuine question, does anyone actually enjoy Chinese takeaways in this country? Like I understand that we get a specific Anglicised version and that even saying 'Chinese' food like it's one category is as ridiculous as talking about 'European' food, but without any hyperbole I have literally never enjoyed a single meal from a Chinese place in this country in my entire life.

My sister and I went to visit my Granddad (sat in his garden and ate there while he ate in the conservatory) and it was at his request and he enjoyed it, which is obviously the important thing, but I was reminded of just how universally gloopy and awful all of it is.

It feels like for every other popular takeaway cuisine you have many delicious and authentic options but Chinese ones haven't moved with the times and still serve up the same glop they have all my life. Or is it that if I want something good I should be finding restaurants dedicated to a particular region's cuisine, like Szechuan or Cantonese or whatever?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I once had a Chinese beef dish that I characterised as "tasting like rear end" but unlike with most goons, that was not a selling point

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

having grown up with american chinese food, the poo poo they serve here is atrocious

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

its safe enough to say chinese food since regardless of it not having any bearing on the cuisine of different regions, we all know what it means and chinese restaurants use it themselves to describe their food

i like certain dishes and i like them more from certain places, plum chicken is a good one, hoi sin sauce is also nice, crispy chili beef is good on the side and satay skewers are nice if they are prepared in the sauce

our local thai place also does a really nice tom yum but my god it makes your eyes water

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Just get salt and pepper tofu and chow mein and ignore the rest, like a champ

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think you'd need to live in an area with a significant population of chinese folks to get something more 'authentic'. In London if you want hotpot you go to a place that only serves that, same for takeout bao buns or mapo tofu or whatever it is that you want, instead of generic noodle dish with msg.

MSG is good poo poo though imo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I grew up almost dreaming of one day getting a Chinese takeaway in those little cardboard box carton things and I guess a sort of general new York vibe.

So sweet and sour chicken balls in polystyrene with a thick tizer poured over them in Norwich was incredibly disappointing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mapo tofu is usually still good cuz it's supposed to be goop

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They don't seem to do fortune cookies anymore but maybe that's a bit racist now or something? Mysterious Orient and all that.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

i hardly ever get chinese cos i don't really understand it, plus it tends to be pretty expensive vs other takeaways. when i do i tend to stick to fried rice/chicken balls/prawn toast/duck pancakes/etc and all that stuff's ok i guess.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They don't seem to do fortune cookies anymore but maybe that's a bit racist now or something? Mysterious Orient and all that.
our local still does them (and the us style cardboard boxes) but they have german on the other side

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Prawn toast is such a commitment

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i wish my wife also liked prawn toast because it is not always easy to get through

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ive had 1 cider and im feeling drunk now. being a light weight is good

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of actual proper Chinese places, Noodles & Dumplings here in Edinburgh is open again. Their hand pulled noodles and xinjiang lamb skewers are amazing.

Also they gave me a mug, for 'being a good customer' which is weird but sweet!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Maybe I'm ordering wrong things but I always end up tasting sweetness which is not my jam.

Curry all day erryday.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I always get a portion of chips with a Chinese takeaway, partly as an offering to my I dunno history Anglo Saxon fish gods for not getting fish and chips but also as a test of where the Chinese's place's real loyalties lie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always like chips from Chinese takeaways but I feel bad getting them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fish and chips as we know it is largely believed to have been brought to britian by sephardic jewish immigrants after their expulsion from spain and portugal in the 15th/16th centuries

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

most chinese chips are poo poo but there was a place near my mam and dad that did amazing chips, like triple cooked chips crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside but this was back in the nineties when heston blumenthal had not been invented yet

also the portion sizes were nice and small so no cardboard leftovers

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I always like chips from Chinese takeaways but I feel bad getting them

same, there's one by the river in my town that is magnificent. There's also a couple of other excellent chippies though so I only get them from there during the town's river festival because its tradition

Delicious greasy tradition

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

River festival sounds like I need to level up and barter myself since mithryl armour

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

throw four sheep and a catholic into the river on the solstice or it will surely dry up forever

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

pim01 posted:

Speaking of actual proper Chinese places, Noodles & Dumplings here in Edinburgh is open again. Their hand pulled noodles and xinjiang lamb skewers are amazing.

Also they gave me a mug, for 'being a good customer' which is weird but sweet!

it's not that weird op, everyone reading the thread knows about them now :)

my friend's parents have always done the same with little bamboo scroll calendars for the regulars every year

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh cool now one of the girls is screaming

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Kill your neighbours op

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sounds like maybe

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Indian places will often offer a bunch of regional dishes, or even new stuff that their chefs have made up themselves. Chinese places always seem to have the exact same menu, cooked in the exact same way. I suspect that the kids and grandkids of the original shop owners are finding nicer jobs than slaving in a hot kitchen to serve food to drunk people and there's a severe shortage of original thinking in the industry.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Had a lovely walk in the forest with the dogs

one of them disturbed a wasps nest. I've never ever seen a dog go from fine to ENTIRELY COATED IN WASPS in 5 seconds

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Had a lovely walk in the forest with the dogs

one of them disturbed a wasps nest. I've never ever seen a dog go from fine to ENTIRELY COATED IN WASPS in 5 seconds

Are they okay? :ohdear:

If there is one creature I wouldn’t mind vanishing from the face of the Earth it’s bloody wasps!

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

O-Unit posted:

Are they okay? :ohdear:

If there is one creature I wouldn’t mind vanishing from the face of the Earth it’s bloody wasps!

She was booking it thru the ferns having a whale of a time and she ran back to us, her back end looking like someone dipped her in a bucket of wasps, She was trying to bite them off so she got stung in the tongue, and they did a number on her lets say, exposed skin areas down south, arsehole and legs :(

I'm loving terrified of wasps but a switch just flips when your dog is yelping I guess so used my phone to scrape them off her and grabbed her and ran like gently caress. She was flopping about in my arms, I was thinking in my head "this dog is dead" sprinting to the carpark.

Luckily got plenty of dog painkillers so she got home, got dosed and went to sleep. She's never been stung before but luckily she didn't react too badly.

Here she is just after we got her home :(

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Aww, sorry to hear that my man. Get well soon, thread dog :ohdear:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I cycled to work at 5:30 and I'm still not recovered 3 hours later

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Being at work will do that to you.

I walked from my bed to my computer and I still haven't recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I walked 9.5 miles this weekend and cycled a bit further, and my feet no longer exist.