Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

SRX's lineup continues to take shape, as joining Tony Kanaan will be:

https://twitter.com/paultracy3/status/1288507057637752834

This is gonna be the loving greatest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Glory Road on NBC Sports has reminded me we were one spot away from inaugural Brickyard 400 winner Brett Bodine. :wtc:

WindyMan posted:

I know he's happy and all that, but going from NASCAR broadcaster to hotel magician is not what I'd imagine a successful career path being

Didn't somebody find recently he was also working in a spice shop in Tampa of some sort?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

hunnert car pileup posted:

Somewhat related, but I was watching the Busch race at Dega in '96 today during work, and it was weird (and rather pleasant) hearing DW doing commentary without being a cartoon character.

Darrell Waltrip is great to listen to. DW is never good. They're completely different people.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CBJSprague24 posted:

Glory Road on NBC Sports has reminded me we were one spot away from inaugural Brickyard 400 winner Brett Bodine. :wtc:

I was at the brickyard that Paul Menard won, everyone around me had a similar reaction haha.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
We'll always have Daytona 500 Winner Derrick Cope.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

dennyk posted:

We'll always have Daytona 500 Winner Derrick Cope.

he won dover too

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Peanut President posted:

he won dover too

Still a better winner than Austin

or Hamlin or horseface

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fun fact, it took Derrike Cope 82 starts to win his 2 races

It took Dillon 158

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
How 'bout Daytona 500 Winner Trevor Bayne? Only took him two races to get his one win (and 185 more to get his zero subsequent wins...).

Now he runs a coffee shop...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I hear the coffee is good at least.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dennyk posted:

How 'bout Daytona 500 Winner Trevor Bayne? Only took him two races to get his one win (and 185 more to get his zero subsequent wins...).

Now he runs a coffee shop...

Trevor Bayne is good, feller can't help it that NASCAR teams are shitcanning dudes so they can run their grandkids/15 year old super late model champs

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
is it just me or is the Daytona 500 much less of a Big Deal as it has become so random. IDK, Indy is pretty random and it still seems like A Big Deal when someone wins the 500

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The plate tracks have pretty much always been random. Every year they natter on and on about first time winners, etc.

It (and Indy) are both still huge races for a win.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Vasukhani posted:

is it just me or is the Daytona 500 much less of a Big Deal as it has become so random. IDK, Indy is pretty random and it still seems like A Big Deal when someone wins the 500

I think the prestige is still there. I can't think of another race which would've surpassed it in NASCAR.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think the prestige is still there. I can't think of another race which would've surpassed it in NASCAR.

as a new fan who didn't know poo poo about nascar until a few weeks ago, i can say with some confidence that the only race i knew by name was the daytona 500 and some of the only times i'd hear a driver's name was when ESPN would have a tiny segment on the daytona 500 and name the winner. if it crosses over into somewhat mainstream sports news, it definitely still has some prestige, even if it's won by a rando whose name i will immediately forget

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Trevor Bayne is good, feller can't help it that NASCAR teams are shitcanning dudes so they can run their grandkids/15 year old super late model champs

Bayne spent most of the decade wadding up Roush cars. For this, he is good. I understand why no one else wanted him though.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Might have to try some Jesus coffee next time I'm out TN way.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ungratek posted:

Bayne spent most of the decade wadding up Roush cars. For this, he is good. I understand why no one else wanted him though.

considering how bad roush is are we sure that was bayne's fault?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Peanut President posted:

considering how bad roush is are we sure that was bayne's fault?

I thought he started in like 2012. Looked and it was 2015. Roush has two wins in the last 6 years hahaha

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I liked Trevor Bayne, even if went 75% past the already ridiculous NASCAR driver average for being Jesus-y.

Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne running a Hawaiian themed coffee shop in Tennessee sounds like a loving Mad Lib tho.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/Knighter01/status/1289604710362574848

https://twitter.com/FactsNascar/status/1289619467366875140

lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ungratek posted:

I seem to remember he was pretty decent in MWR's NXS stuff until they abruptly fired him to bring in MTJ and Ryan Truex to satisfy the sponsors because he wasn't doing enough.

e- 6 T5 11 T10 with 3 poles and finished 7th in points in 2010 despite not getting points for the Fall race at Kansas because Roush fielded an extra car for him after the entry list deadline after MWR let him go. The top 5s and 10s don't sound great until you take into consideration this was smack dab in the middle of the series being unwatchable due to Buschwackers.

In looking into this more, he was second-highest in points among NXS regulars. Jesus Christ, this era of NXS was garbage.

https://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet/baynetr01/2010/B

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 1, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The comments on that twitter thread are AMAZING

https://mobile.twitter.com/C0pinions/status/1289632882345025536

https://mobile.twitter.com/C0pinions/status/1289634716065333249

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 1, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Exhibit A on Why Racing In Daytona in August is A Bad Idea: https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=dda4e29851229d8c&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

GD_American posted:

I liked Trevor Bayne, even if went 75% past the already ridiculous NASCAR driver average for being Jesus-y.

Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne running a Hawaiian themed coffee shop in Tennessee sounds like a loving Mad Lib tho.

Considering he has an autoimmune disease that may shorten his life, the Jesus thing is kind of understandable. People gotta do what they gotta do to cope.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I ain't even mad, thats brilliant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iwentdoodie posted:

I ain't even mad, thats brilliant.

If they aren’t catching you cheating, you ain’t trying hard enough.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

watching the same 3 guys trade wins every week is getting a bit stale

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
another sunday, another race on the world's greatest oval, New Hampshire Motor Speedway :getin:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
1) this race is boring. 2) NBC's coverage blows. Not sure which factor influences the other one.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
maybe it will be like F1 today and everyone's tires will blow with 3 laps remaining

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

like the only 2 good races I can think of from Loudon are the CART race in '93 and when they were the NASCAR finale in 2001

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

:meh:

Looks like a good track to watch modifieds on, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hunnert car pileup posted:

like the only 2 good races I can think of from Loudon are the CART race in '93 and when they were the NASCAR finale in 2001

Didnt Robbie Gordon get spun or spin someone?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

algebra testes posted:

Didnt Robbie Gordon get spun or spin someone?

nerfed Jeff Gordon late in the race, leading to Jeff trying to cut down one of his tires under yellow

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

stealie72 posted:

1) this race is boring. 2) NBC's coverage blows. Not sure which factor influences the other one.

jeff gordon continues his ownage of the earnhardt family in the booth

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I think Gordon is awful in the booth

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ungratek posted:

I think Gordon is awful in the booth
Gordon is fine, but they only tee up softballs to him instead of letting him go really in depth like Fox lets Jr go.

Also, Fox does a good job of blending newbie stuff in with more in-depth analysis. Whereas NBC just seems to be "look at the cars go" Of course, both pale in comparison to the MRN gang. Those are the true heroes of calling races.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

LFR sold to Spire for 2021

https://twitter.com/a_s12/status/1290651572947636227?s=21

Also I'd like to report a murder

https://twitter.com/colepearn/status/1290662606353694721?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Deleted. Coward