Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

Leica menus are nice

They’d better be at those prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Anyone know of a cheap TTL flash for Sony A mount cameras? I’d prefer the macro ring type - I’m having issues with google throwing up E mount options.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

OK - I am in a really weird position because I now have to choose between the Sony A7R II vs. a Nikon D850 due to a shipping error.

Which would you guys choose? I have looked it up and they are pretty well tied "ratings wise" on Cameradecision.com and DPreview.com. Kinda stumped since a lot what I do is 3d photoscanning and the D850 is very highly regarded for that. However, it doesn't perform as well in low light and holy crap the Nikon is MUCH bigger and heavier. Sony has IBIS and 2x the focus points vs. the Nikon. The Nikon has a better battery, screen and viewfinder however. Nevermind the cost difference - just curious which you guys would pick.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d pick the Nikon because I prefer Nikon’s ergonomics, but they are both good cameras and you should use this as an opportunity to figure out which one works better for you instead of bench racing them on camera comparison sites. Not sure that the A7RII would actually have a low light advantage over the D850 though? And just having more AF points in and of itself doesn’t necessarily mean that the AF is better.

Ultimately I’d choose based on which camera/lens system you’d rather be in and which one feels like it works better for you.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

sigma 6 posted:

OK - I am in a really weird position because I now have to choose between the Sony A7R II vs. a Nikon D850 due to a shipping error.

Which would you guys choose? I have looked it up and they are pretty well tied "ratings wise" on Cameradecision.com and DPreview.com. Kinda stumped since a lot what I do is 3d photoscanning and the D850 is very highly regarded for that. However, it doesn't perform as well in low light and holy crap the Nikon is MUCH bigger and heavier. Sony has IBIS and 2x the focus points vs. the Nikon. The Nikon has a better battery, screen and viewfinder however. Nevermind the cost difference - just curious which you guys would pick.

I'd go D850 without a doubt. The A7R2 is a fiddly little thing with so-so autofocus while the D850 is pretty much the pinnacle of decades of DSLR design.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

powderific posted:

I’d pick the Nikon because I prefer Nikon’s ergonomics, but they are both good cameras and you should use this as an opportunity to figure out which one works better for you instead of bench racing them on camera comparison sites. Not sure that the A7RII would actually have a low light advantage over the D850 though? And just having more AF points in and of itself doesn’t necessarily mean that the AF is better.

Ultimately I’d choose based on which camera/lens system you’d rather be in and which one feels like it works better for you.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I got the D850 by mistake but am considering keeping it. The D850 is one of the best camera's for photoscanning and outside of the portability of the Sony and weight, I feel like the D850 either matches or outperforms the Sony in most other things.

Good to hear the autofocus is about as good and really I wasn't looking forward to the Sony menus. Hmm. Now I have to figure out what Nikon lens is best for photogrammetry / 3d scanning. I had done months worth of research to settle on that Sony and now I can't tell if this is a "happy accident" or not. Leaning towards yes, judging by what you guys are saying.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you can get access to the negs, this exists.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/digitizing-film-using-the-d850-and-es-2-negative-digitizer.html

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it were me, a hobby photographer, I’d go Nikon, because of the lenses more than anything.*

Current E mount line up is painfully expensive compared to both the Nikon and A mount equivalents. obviously you can get A to E mount adapters but I got all the Minolta beercans (I shot minolta in the 1980s and had a lovely grandad) sat on an A37 and I can’t really picture them on a smaller camera without laughing, they look fairly silly on the A37 as is.

*Edit: The new Sony full frames are astonishingly wonderful, but I committed to A mount in the 1980s and bitter

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 2, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If it weren’t for IBIS and lens adaptability I probably would’ve stuck with a Canon dslr instead of jumping to sony but those two reasons made the jump well worth it to me. The A to E mount adapter seems a bit expensive, but EF to E adapters are relatively cheap and stuff like minolta SR to E mount can be had for a song.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If I’m honest I’m just mad that I’d banked on there being a replacement for the a99ii in A mount so the second hand price would go right down and it hasn’t, so now I got to look at going the adaptor route or getting a A68.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hey this is really cool. I have both slides and negs and tons of them too. Just this alone might be the deciding factor.

Watched this comparison of video and was actually pretty surprised at how well the Nikon video has progressed compared to the Sony A7 III and Panasonic (nevermind my old Nikon 3100)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2irrdAFvJ8

Excited to use the D850 but I kinda wish it had IBIS - given that it has 4k video. Anyone have any good lenses for stabilization or photogrammetry? Or ideally both? I have been told prime lenses will always be better for scanning.

Also the Sigma Art lenses seem to be popular choices for scanning. The number of Nikon lenses is staggering compared to Sony but looks like a lot cheaper.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 2, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What’s a really good manual focus lens at 300mm? The X-T30 has killed my aspiration for the Fuji 100-400. It seems like too big of a lens to pay the price to use on this little camera. It’s not a super critical use case and I’d definitely want to stay under $1000.

I used to shoot with a Nikon AF 300/4 but it was kind of a beater and had low contrast wide open. My thought is to spring for an AIS 300/4.5 but is there a Canon FD or even a third party like Tokina or Tamron SP that was reputed to be better? Any with ED glass?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What’s a really good manual focus lens at 300mm? The X-T30 has killed my aspiration for the Fuji 100-400. It seems like too big of a lens to pay the price to use on this little camera. It’s not a super critical use case and I’d definitely want to stay under $1000.

I used to shoot with a Nikon AF 300/4 but it was kind of a beater and had low contrast wide open. My thought is to spring for an AIS 300/4.5 but is there a Canon FD or even a third party like Tokina or Tamron SP that was reputed to be better? Any with ED glass?

I mount the FD 300/4 on my XH1, and it's not particularly sharp, lots of CA.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a 300mm f4L fd mount for a while on my GH3 and I thought it was ok, but didn’t wind up using it much because the whole setup was fairly awkward and worked best with a monopod.

Here’s some birds in my yard 7 years ago from testing it out:

Edit: I had the “New FD 300mm f4L” from this list, which does have a couple fancy elements: https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/300mm.htm

powderific fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 3, 2020

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've got a Canon FD 80-200 f4 L with an old 2x FD tele extender that works okay. I use it on an X-H1, which has stabilization, but I don't think it would be unusable without it, if you have reasonably steady hands. It will look comically large on an X-T30 (long and thin), but there's no getting around that with a decent long lens of that era, I don't think. No tripod mount on the lens to mitigate the front heaviness either.
The lens is around $250 and the extender is $20 - $50.

It was one of the last, if not the last, L lenses made for the FD mount.

If you want to go even cheaper and don't mind a narrower aperture, the FD 100-200 F5.6 S.C. is surprisingly no slouch optically, especially given that it can be found for $10 - $30. I haven't tried it with the extender. It's also considerably smaller and lighter.

Only caveat is that my use case (with extender) has me shooting outside during the day. If you need this setup for indoors, this may not be the lens you're looking for. (It's fine indoors without the extender, but you're losing two stops with it on, so, depending on conditions, it may not work for you.)

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I want to see what the a7siii can do in low light

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I was pretty disappointed with the AIS 300/4.5 (not the ED version), but the early AF 300/4 ED-IF (this one) is pretty good for the ~$300 AUD I paid for mine. It's a bit strange thanks to it being one of Nikon's first "pro" AF lenses - one quirk is has is that switching the lens to MF keeps the AF gearing engaged, which damps the focus ring enough that it's actually fairly usable in without AF.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 3, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for the tips, all. Looks like an nFD L might be a good choice to investigate. Anyone use the Tair 300/4 Photosniper lens? Seems to have a weird control setup but its praises seem to get sung a lot.

Also considering a wide angle. Will have to go for native lenses in this realm of course.

The Fuji 16/2.8 seems like it would compliment the T30 nicely, but I kind of want to go a little wider. I know this decision is more about personal preference but how is the 16 WR? I’ve seen some reviews that really tout the sharpness of the 14, but there’s less out there about the 16.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Thanks for the tips, all. Looks like an nFD L might be a good choice to investigate. Anyone use the Tair 300/4 Photosniper lens? Seems to have a weird control setup but its praises seem to get sung a lot.

Also considering a wide angle. Will have to go for native lenses in this realm of course.

The Fuji 16/2.8 seems like it would compliment the T30 nicely, but I kind of want to go a little wider. I know this decision is more about personal preference but how is the 16 WR? I’ve seen some reviews that really tout the sharpness of the 14, but there’s less out there about the 16.

There's both a 16/1.4 and 16/2.8 that are WR. I've heard nothing but praise for the 16/1.4 (vs the 14, I've heard it focuses faster, has at least as good IQ, has closer focusing distance, and of course has WR and is 2 stops faster), and I've seen a lot of great samples from it. I haven't heard nearly as much about the 16/2.8. From what I understand it is a tad soft wide open, but other than that another solid performer like the other lenses in the slower Fuji WR prime line.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Anyone use the Tair 300/4 Photosniper lens? Seems to have a weird control setup but its praises seem to get sung a lot.

I have this lens (of course). The version of the lens that comes with the Fotosnaiper is different to the regular version. It has a geared pinion on the underside of the barrel to move the focusing elements in and out, and it has a weird automatic stop-down mechanism that only works with the Fotosnaiper system. The regular version is also available in M42 mount, and has a more normal twist ring on the barrel for focus, and the usual spring-loaded pin for diaphragm control.

In either case, the lens is phenomenal. 300mm, f/3.5, 17 aperture blades. It's sharp as hell, renders buttery smooth OOF areas, and most versions have reasonably good coatings to reduce flaring. The caveat is that it's heavy as gently caress because there's a gigantic piece of glass at the business end, and the barrel is all metal

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I have one and love it on the X-T20. It’s quick and sharp from wide open, good quality build and pretty small. I’m happy with it, and have used it for walk around days — I also got the 35/2 recently and those are a good lightweight pair. This review of the 16/2.8 is good and shows comparisons with the others. It’s well worth $400 or so new.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus has released the 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS.

The crazy pro version, 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO should be out this winter.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

DJExile posted:

Olympus has released the 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS.

The crazy pro version, 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO should be out this winter.
A decent review with some direct comparison to the Panasonic. Interestingly the true focal length of the Olympus seems non-trivially longer than the true focal length of the Panasonic.
https://www.sulasula.com/en/olympus-100-400-is/

It does seem like it's a re-badge of an earlier generation Sigma 100-400 based on the element diagrams people have compared. Given Olympus' financial situation, that does seem like a reasonable action compared to sinking fresh R&D money on a ground-up design. On the other hand, the lens IS is reported not to work in co-operation with the IBIS, only independently, which does seem an obvious flaw.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 4, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sync-IS would easily have added at least a few hundred dollars to the price and I'm guessing they don't want it competing as much with the higher end one that's coming this winter.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Seems like I'd still either go with the Panasonic for portability or the 150-400 4.5 if I just wanted the best lens price and weight be dammned

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

DJExile posted:

Sync-IS would easily have added at least a few hundred dollars to the price and I'm guessing they don't want it competing as much with the higher end one that's coming this winter.
I reckon it's more about R&D cost than manufacturing cost as it's really boils down to an issue of communication between lens and body. The problem is it takes away one of the reasons for buying Olympus glass instead of Panasonic glass: better integration.

Best case for Olympus is that it's something that can be fixed in firmware a few months down the line.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

harperdc posted:

I have one and love it on the X-T20. It’s quick and sharp from wide open, good quality build and pretty small. I’m happy with it, and have used it for walk around days — I also got the 35/2 recently and those are a good lightweight pair. This review of the 16/2.8 is good and shows comparisons with the others. It’s well worth $400 or so new.
Center sharpness is good but corner sharpness isn't great at any aperture, if it matters for your needs. Probably still a good value for the money, the olympus 12mm is double the price new and still $400 used.

The olympus 100-400mm probably is a sigma design. I believe there was patent evidence they designed the olympus 75mm too.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How crazy is it to buy a used X-H1 in good condition for close to $800 when new X-T3s are only $200 more? I'm itching to upgrade my X-T1 and am thinking I want to get on the IBIS train, but the X-T3s seem like an amazing deal right now. The X-T4 is the dream, but at the current prices I think I'd rather have an H1 + 16-55 (or something to that effect).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Splinter posted:

How crazy is it to buy a used X-H1 in good condition for close to $800 when new X-T3s are only $200 more? I'm itching to upgrade my X-T1 and am thinking I want to get on the IBIS train, but the X-T3s seem like an amazing deal right now. The X-T4 is the dream, but at the current prices I think I'd rather have an H1 + 16-55 (or something to that effect).

GAS aside, you won't retreat the camera. I have literally zero complaints with my XH1.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Splinter posted:

I vote X-H1 if you're doing mainly photos, and X-T3 if you want to do more video (related: I have a X-T3 for sale if you're interested). I liked the X-H1 that I had, but the X-T3 is so much better for video (minus IBIS, though tbh for video the IBIS is not awesome on the X-H1, good for photos tho).

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Can confirm the IBIS is not good on the X-H1 video, though I'm directly comparing it to the GH5, but I still love mine. Honestly I would say go with the X-H1, the IBIS for stills is extremely good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GEMorris posted:

Seems like I'd still either go with the Panasonic for portability or the 150-400 4.5 if I just wanted the best lens price and weight be dammned

I have the Panasonic 100-300 f/4.0-5.6 which is cracking for the price and weight, you can hand hold it as if it were a dslr kit lens - ultimately you end up comparing the prices to L glass and how much the equivalent would cost and weigh. I don’t know why you would go for the larger Olympus at F/5.0-6.3 when the Panasonic is F/4.5-6.3 though.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Splinter posted:

Does the X-H1 include the vertical grip?

Unless the incremental (but real) improvements in AF tracking and face detection are worth it to you over IBIS (and this probably depends on your lens kit), I'd go X-H1. I'm still patting myself on the back for jumping on that X-H1 + grip + 16-55/2.8 deal about a year ago as an upgrade from my X-T2.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I don't really shoot any video (perhaps shooting on an X-T1 for the past 5+ years has something to do with that...), so that doesn't bother me. From what I gather, the latest X-H1 firmware is now fully able to combine IBIS+OIS on Fuji OIS lenses (previously it would soley use 3 axis from the IBIS and 2 from the lens), which gives significant IS improvement on some OIS lenses too (namely the 10-24, which I have, goes from 3 stops to 5.5 stops w/ the new firmware, 18-55 goes from 3.5 to 5.5 stops). The idea of being able to pull off even more reliable hand held water blur shots is appealing, and I have some primes and plans to upgrade to the 16-55 for my mid-range zoom as well (both of which have no lens OIS). I definitely want improved AF over my X-T1, but from what I gather the jump from the X-T1 to the X-H1 should be enough improvement (mainly just want a bit better AF-C performance for taking action shots of my dog). Anyway, it sounds like everyone here w/ an X-H1 is happy, which makes me feel more confident about skipping the X-T3.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Splinter posted:

I love my X-H1. I did buy an X-T3 as well, but that’s my second body and honestly gets barely any use. I’m not sure I would even give up my X-H1 for an X-T4.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
drat, now you guys are making me think about trading up my X-T2 for the X-H1, although I wouldn't have enough money for the upgrade. Especially now that pretty much all work is DOA indefinitely.

I shoot a good amount of video with every photoshoot, and it's been a real struggle with the T2 due to shake, no matter how stable I can keep it, and I've got years of using my body as a stabilizer for video behind me so I can do it but being a crop sensor just really pushes it too far beyond what you can/should be doing. The only passable solution was shooting 4K and stabilizing with warp filter in Premiere after the fact, just to help slightly mediate the jelly. Not that it's good, but it can be for quick Instagram clips. drat IT ALL.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
At some point you got to go “it is” the gear holding me back” and stop making yourself miserable by spending the whole of your time fighting it.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

learnincurve posted:

At some point you got to go “it is” the gear holding me back” and stop making yourself miserable by spending the whole of your time fighting it.

Cue the clicking sounds of GAS as the burner was left on... just burn all the monies.

Aside from video, the X-T2 has been a great tool that I've been really happy with. Sure there are things that bother me at times, but they really did get a lot of things right. Especially compared to years of Canon and Panasonic use... but Fuji is definitely heading down that obnoxious path of too many releases in too little time without any consideration of former customers. It seems like no manufacturer can do things "right" in that sense these days, all about churn and burn new models for what seems like a single little sidegrade that most people don't care about, beyond gear reviewing YouTubers.

YAY 50 more focus points and eyeball tracking! WOooo..... time to crank out a review for that affiliate kickback.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol I’m still using a Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark 1 and spend all my money on lenses*

*edit: Not that it wouldn’t be nice to upgrade, it’s just that lenses are a priority for me.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Another X-H1 fan here. I have an X-T3 as well, but I use the X-H1 more. Didn’t really even float the idea of an X-T4. Looking forward to an X-H2.