Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xaris posted:

Also Costco had these a-sha tawainese noodle kits, picked them up but haven't tried.

I really hated these. I don't know if maybe my batch was bad or I'm just not cooking them right or whatever, but the noodles always came out really... Starchy?...and not good. Even when cooking them for less time. I dunno. Maybe they're supposed to be that way but I'd much rather get any other type of noodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I really hated these. I don't know if maybe my batch was bad or I'm just not cooking them right or whatever, but the noodles always came out really... Starchy?...and not good. Even when cooking them for less time. I dunno. Maybe they're supposed to be that way but I'd much rather get any other type of noodle.

I met my wife living in Taiwan for nearly a decade, and I bought some of these.

She made them as legit as possible, and they seemed good to me? They're not just supposed to be noodles floating in water.

Also, I've been checking costco.com for a 7cbft chest freezer for a few weeks. They have a few that come in stock, then disappear an hour later. I finally snagged one, should be here on Thursday. The food saver is on sale starting this week too, which works perfectly. My next trip is going to be 90% frozen and meats as we fill that thing up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ravendas posted:

She made them as legit as possible, and they seemed good to me? They're not just supposed to be noodles floating in water.

Yeah, I get that they're not soup noodles. I probably just couldn't cook them right. Or I just don't like super starchy noodles

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 3, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ravendas posted:

I met my wife living in Taiwan for nearly a decade, and I bought some of these.

Also, I've been checking costco.com for a 7cbft chest freezer for a few weeks. They have a few that come in stock, then disappear an hour later. I finally snagged one, should be here on Thursday. The food saver is on sale starting this week too, which works perfectly. My next trip is going to be 90% frozen and meats as we fill that thing up.

I'm crossing my fingers that you get two freezers the same way I got two buckets of emergency food.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don’t care for them either. Texture isn’t great and the sauce is real kinda one note and meh for me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
went today to help the fam get a TV

went to the foodcourt. only ketchup and mustard for the dogs. without relish and diced onions its just not the same.

to me, the costco dog is dead, at least for now

got a fruit smoothie since im trying to be healthy anyways

:sigh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bring some pocket onions with you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

to me, the costco dog is dead, at least for now

:sigh:

It died the day the polish died

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

anyone try dipping the Costco Dog in the Bitchin’ Sauce?

Do we dare to dream?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Having never had a vacuum-sealer before, is the one going on sale this week at Costco considered a good quality model compared to whatever else is out there? I’ve been wanting one for a while and intend to pull the trigger as long as this one’s decent.

Edit: Didn’t reread far enough back to catch this, but would love other thoughts too if anyone has any.

Cartoon Man posted:

This has been amazing for me and I highly recommend it in conjunction with Sous Vide cooking.

Referee fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 3, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Doodles posted:

I'd give it a shot but too many of those flavors aren't of interest to me, and the website shows they don't have lime or cucumber.(STFU, it's delicious.)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...Q4dUDCAg&uact=5

i have no idea where you are supposed to get them though

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Someone rammed through the front door of Costco in Issaquah at 6:30am to rob the jewelry cases by shooting them open. They threatened an employee with a gun but no one was hurt.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/police-investigate-early-morning-shooting-at-issaquah-costco/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Bring some pocket onions with you

why dont we just tailgate in the lot and cook our own dogs while we're at it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Someone rammed through the front door of Costco in Issaquah at 6:30am to rob the jewelry cases by shooting them open. They threatened an employee with a gun but no one was hurt.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/police-investigate-early-morning-shooting-at-issaquah-costco/

"Costco has jewelry?" I thought to myself before relegating it to the vague front section of eyeware I always skip past

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I thought they only keep fake jewels in the jewelry case for this specific reason.

Maybe some of the cheaper stuff is actually in the case, but when you see the sign and think “who the hell is buying a $20,000 diamond necklace at Costco”, I’m pretty sure the necklace isn’t actually in the case.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

It died the day the polish died

i also truly miss the combo slice and turkey pesto sandwich.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

i also truly miss the combo slice and turkey pesto sandwich.
i never felt the turkey sandwich was anything to write home about, dog or 'za or go home. man the polish dog with sauerkraut, deli mustard, and onion dispenser was chef kiss perfection for $1.5 :discourse:

i have a feeling kraut and onions may stay gone for good. Relish will prob make a comeback because it was spurted out via those handheld pumps and i imagine its cheap to fill that up with dyed green goop; but onion dispensers seem gone for good and i cant imagine they want to spend money stocking little cups of saurkraut/onions behind the counter anymore for a very small niche of people.

but uh yeah rip combo. i wonder what their plans are with the food court, of course covid throws a bit of wrench into the system but it seems like they even had absolutely no idea what the gently caress they were doing pre-covid.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xaris posted:

it seems like they even had absolutely no idea what the gently caress they were doing pre-covid.
I think they had settled on an idea about "premium" foods vs the tried and true staples of pizza and dogs, with some variety thrown in for seasonal changes.

Like the Chilli was supposed to be a winter option, the vegan Al Pastor salad a summer option, and wasn't the burger tweaked from just a hamburger to like a double cheeseburger or something through the course of 2 years?

They're obviously not interested in adding poo poo like fryers for fries and poo poo, so at least that's off the plate for now.

I remember they piloted a Carne Asada bake at the Co near my old place and it was a god awful wait for the thing every time I tried to order it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FilthyImp posted:

I think they had settled on an idea about "premium" foods vs the tried and true staples of pizza and dogs, with some variety thrown in for seasonal changes.

Like the Chilli was supposed to be a winter option, the vegan Al Pastor salad a summer option, and wasn't the burger tweaked from just a hamburger to like a double cheeseburger or something through the course of 2 years?

They're obviously not interested in adding poo poo like fryers for fries and poo poo, so at least that's off the plate for now.

I remember they piloted a Carne Asada bake at the Co near my old place and it was a god awful wait for the thing every time I tried to order it.
That seemed to be the idea but it didn't seem to be working out. The burger was even killed pre-pandemic along with acai bowl poo poo I think. I had thought the chilli was removed permanently, not just supposed to be winter vs summer but i could have been wrong. also I thought they had fries at some Costcos though, so i don't know if that's entirely off the table

stuff like bulgogi bakes/carne asada bakes seems more in the right direction, a nice simple self-contained meal that you can sling quickly

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

anyone try dipping the Costco Dog in the Bitchin’ Sauce?

Do we dare to dream?

Bitchin' Sauce goes great with everything.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I kinda liked those bbq sandwiches every now and then

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought they only keep fake jewels in the jewelry case for this specific reason.

Maybe some of the cheaper stuff is actually in the case, but when you see the sign and think “who the hell is buying a $20,000 diamond necklace at Costco”, I’m pretty sure the necklace isn’t actually in the case.

This is mostly correct. I don't know where the cutoff value is on what stuff is fake or real, but they do keep some relatively expensive stuff in the case.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Forgot to mention that I turned my dad on to Bitchin' Sauce. Another convert.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Forgot to mention that I turned my dad on to Bitchin' Sauce. Another convert.

I picked up a jar over the weekend, what are the top recommends to try with the sauce?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I finally remembered to get Bitchin Sauce for the first time. With those almond crackers we've eaten it pretty fast.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I picked up a jar over the weekend, what are the top recommends to try with the sauce?

I usually snack with baby carrots and celery.

Also, use it in place of mayo on sandwiches/burgs. :yum:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Chinatown posted:

I usually snack with baby carrots and celery.

Also, use it in place of mayo on sandwiches/burgs. :yum:

Thanks! Will try the carrot combo with lunch

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alan Smithee posted:

"Costco has jewelry?" I thought to myself before relegating it to the vague front section of eyeware I always skip past

Costco in Spain has armed guards at the registers and at the jewelry display. It's weird

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

canyoneer posted:

Costco in Spain has armed guards at the registers and at the jewelry display. It's weird

Costco.ca used to stock $900 jamon iberico hocks so I can only imagine the Fort Knox of acorn fed pork that is a Spanish Costco.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

There was a whole page about it on one of those credit card points sites a few years ago. Basically if you bought something more than several thousand dollars and then returned it Costco would issue you a check instead of refunding the purchase. The writer had it down to a science and would request the purchase be cancelled just after it was too late and wasn't even taking the jewelry from the manager to churn their card.

And 'co actually has good stuff if you look. I got my wife's engagement ring and 2 wedding bands (1 backup in case something ever happens) after looking at them with her.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Costco near my work had a violent smash and grab of the jewelry display not too long ago. I don't think firearms were involved but as far as I could see there wasn't any obvious changes after the fact, perhaps they don't put the good stuff in the cabinet now I don't know.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

you have to spend $3,000 a year to break-even on it,

but if you do constantly make Very Big Purchases like fridges or furnitute and laptops or you have a big ol mormon quiverful family, yeah it's absolutely worth it. for us as a household of 2 in a 1-br apartment, it's not. we spend about $2k a year at most.

Use it on travel, through Costco. One vacation a year and you're making your nut. Don't need to buy a whole package... I usually just book my hotel and rental car through the costco site.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

The Costco near my work had a violent smash and grab of the jewelry display not too long ago. I don't think firearms were involved but as far as I could see there wasn't any obvious changes after the fact, perhaps they don't put the good stuff in the cabinet now I don't know.

A lot of the high-dollar jewelry is in that little room behind the registers where they keep the laptops and stuff.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I think some of the Costcos in Puerto Rico have guard towers in the parking lot.

priznat posted:

At a certain point it becomes an employee safety issue. Part of the reason they don't take cash at the gas station is so there aren't thousands of dollars piling up away from the main building.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Rub it all over your face with a wooden spoon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

GORDON posted:

Use it on travel, through Costco. One vacation a year and you're making your nut. Don't need to buy a whole package... I usually just book my hotel and rental car through the costco site.
I'll keep that in mind next time assuming america hasnt burnt to the ground (lol) and maybe up the Exec just on those one-off years and downgrade after.

Rental car makes sense, although when we were in the UK back in Dec we were paying about $30/d for Sixt which was only about $300 total. Not sure about hotels. I think the places we typically stay might not be on Costco's Approved Hotel List but I'll see if they are.

and i'm not against it, it's only +$60 a year, not a dealbreaker i'm sure I throw >$60 worth of food away every year. but i was mostly just responding to the guy who couldn't see any reason why anyone wouldn't get it. I'm sure 'co has run the math and figured out the expected annual purchase value of an average membership is <$3,000 a year which is why they're push it semi-aggressively.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 4, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The hotels I've stayed at on my Costco vacations were either good or amazing.

When we went to Italy we put that it was our anniversary in the notes and all three hotels brought up a bottle of prosecco for us. Now it's cheap enough they could literally do that for everyone, and it may have been SOP, but at the time we felt like royalty.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Xaris posted:

and i'm not against it, it's only +$60 a year, not a dealbreaker i'm sure I throw >$60 worth of food away every year. but i was mostly just responding to the guy who couldn't see any reason why anyone wouldn't get it. I'm sure 'co has run the math and figured out the expected annual purchase value of an average membership is <$3,000 a year which is why they're push it semi-aggressively.

Also it's probably a bit of a psychological move too that boosts sales per member. Knowing that I get 2% back I'm more likely to buy tires there than anywhere else, and other big purchases.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its actually p rare to save money w costco wo a bigass family

Aside from food you can save a lot of money on cleaning supplies, vitamins&supplements, toiletries, and general consumer goods. You're not going to be buying those more often the 3-4x a year in the quantities they sell.

Food wise you're going to need to be eating a pretty consistent diet for the quantities you have to buy for produce to make it worth while. The produce isn't really that much cheaper then a regular grocery store.

There's a couple of Kirkland brand items absolutely worth it like the pesto. Bitchin Sauce is now more widely available but its $7 for the little tub in the grocery store by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

All foods Every single one