Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How experimental? Like Kid A experimental or Mr Bungle experimental?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

regulargonzalez posted:

How experimental? Like Kid A experimental or Mr Bungle experimental?

Devo experimental.

https://youtu.be/SJcshY5ywro

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Voodoofly posted:

Grails?

Most of my experience with listening to them was my tattoo artist playing their albums a lot towards the end of long sessions, but saw someone with their shirt at the grocery store today and figured no time like the present to check them out.

I generally didn't care much for the first two records, so I would recommend working through all of the black tar prophecies to get a good feel for Grails.
Black Tar 1-3 are particularly great, 4 gets to the bigger riffs style stuff.

The albums are all good really, I feel like their sound has changed much in a few years.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

If you're only going to listen to one Devo record, it's this one for my money:

IUG posted:

The "Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!" album for sure. And it's the first one, so you can go chronologically.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

George Thoroughgood? I only know 3 songs of his and no idea where to start.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

George Thoroughgood? I only know 3 songs of his and no idea where to start.

All 3 of those are the same song. Why bother?

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

XBenedict posted:

All 3 of those are the same song. Why bother?

:hfive:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i've been listening to lamb of god recently and i've always really enjoyed that he somehow can get a crazy amount of range with what i've always assumed was a straightforward and relatively flat style of vocals. i'm not sure growling or screaming is the correct way to describe it but i just really like how varied it sounds. i'm looking any good songs by them that might not be as well known since i've heard most of the singles/well known ones, or anyone else that has that kind of vocal quality. it's so weird and i dig it

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Did Fish do anything of value after he left Marillion?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

XBenedict posted:

Freedom of Choice should be the first stop, followed by New Traditionalists and Are We Not Men....

After that, it’s all “Advanced Spudboy” from there up.

Personally, New Trads is my favorite, but Freedom at least has a song it two you already know.

The other “hardcore Devotee” stuff is to taste, and not really for general consumption. However, Oh No, It’s Devo is still pretty approachable. Beyond that it gets more experimental.

I think you're doing Duty Now For the Future a bit of a disservice there, and I think it would be a classic if it was produced like the debut album was, its punk teeth feel a little filled down. I never clicked with peak-cocaine Devo, but agree "Oh No..." is maybe the end of the essential period. I did like the come back album about a decade back though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Type O Negative?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

Type O Negative?

They’re all good in different ways.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

Type O Negative?

Earlier in discography if you want punkier, later if you want gothier.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Earlier in discography if you want punkier, later if you want gothier.

I’d say middle period is the gothiest. It’s more metal towards the end.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quoting myself from the last time they came up:

ultrafilter posted:

I like a lot of Type O Negative's songs but I don't think any of their albums are all that great. That said, I'd recommend Bloody Kisses or October Rust as a starting point.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I think you're doing Duty Now For the Future a bit of a disservice there, and I think it would be a classic if it was produced like the debut album was, its punk teeth feel a little filled down. I never clicked with peak-cocaine Devo, but agree "Oh No..." is maybe the end of the essential period. I did like the come back album about a decade back though.

No. I’m a fan of Duty Now, I just don’t think it’s neophyte friendly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I basically only know Born To Run and Dancing In The Dark, so where do I start with Bruce Springsteen?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

I basically only know Born To Run and Dancing In The Dark, so where do I start with Bruce Springsteen?

The album Born to Run, which contains arguably the three greatest rock songs ever (title track, Thunder Road, Jungleland). If you like Dancing in the Dark you might as well listen to Born in the USA as well. It has a lot of his best songwriting but horribly dated '80s production weighs it down.

After that, you really can't go wrong with any of The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, Darkness on the Edge of Town or The River.

Greetings From Asbury Park is good but sounds more like Van Morrison than Bruce at times. Many consider Nebraska his best album but it's an extremely stripped down and dark folk album that was intended as demos, so it's a pretty bad starting point. It's arguably more popular among people who don't like Springsteen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

The album Born to Run, which contains arguably the three greatest rock songs ever (title track, Thunder Road, Jungleland). If you like Dancing in the Dark you might as well listen to Born in the USA as well. It has a lot of his best songwriting but horribly dated '80s production weighs it down.

After that, you really can't go wrong with any of The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, Darkness on the Edge of Town or The River.

Greetings From Asbury Park is good but sounds more like Van Morrison than Bruce at times. Many consider Nebraska his best album but it's an extremely stripped down and dark folk album that was intended as demos, so it's a pretty bad starting point. It's arguably more popular among people who don't like Springsteen.

Nailed it. Cosign on all of these.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I also really like Tunnel of Love. Brilliant Disguise is an amazing track, and that whole album is a great follow up to Born in the USA.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Have to say my favourite Springsteen song is Atlantic City

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My entry point was Nebraska and I'm not super crazy about his big rock sound, despite having been a youth when Born in the USA was the biggest hit in the country.

I like his stripped down stuff much better. Nebraska and Ghosts of Tom Joad are incredible. I didn't discover either of those until I was in my 30s.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 3, 2020

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Voodoofly posted:

My mom was obsessed with Bruce when I was growing up. She still is. He is someone I respect but most of his albums are not my thing. Too cheesy. Too overproduced. Too long. Etc.

As such, if you feel the same as me, I say give Tunnel of Love a try. I feel it has aged extremely well and benefits from all the cheesy overproduced sounds that bother me on the other albums.

It’s got filler, but it’s interesting in all its flawed glory

Edit. And Nebraska. That one is good too

Quoting this again re Springsteen. I see someone else also brought up Tunnel of Love as well, so just consider this seconding that post.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Now that they're on Spotify: Spacemen 3?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

me your dad posted:

Now that they're on Spotify: Spacemen 3?

If you want ambient drone similar to coil's Time Machines go with DreamWeapon.

Looking at Spotify, and it's definitely more than has been available in the past but still somewhat neutered. Playing with Fire is solid, with "Lord Can You Hear Me?" and "Revolution" being live favorites. The former got covered by Low and the Pierce liked it so much he recorded it with Spiritualized for Let It Come Down.

Forged Prescriptions is fun, but it's sort of an unofficial b-sides outtakes release of Perfect Prescription which is typically my go to Spacemen 3 record.

Taking Drugs ... is a demo compilation so interesting if you want less structure and more early druggy jams?

Recurring is a strange beast since it's their last official studio recording and definitely has the framework of their split. I think maybe one or two songs they collaborated on? I'm not much for live albums honestly, but Spacemen3 were supposed to be brilliant live and could never capture that sound in studio so that live album might scratch an itch for you as well.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I defer to the poster with the Spiritualized av, but I'll add Playing with Fire to Perfect Prescription as a great Spaceman 3 album.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Where would I start with Neurosis and Godflesh/Jesu? If it helps I've been listening to Oceanic by Isis (the band) quite a few times again recently and Neurosis and Godflesh keep popping up as influences for them (Neurosis as an Oakland band has been on my list for a while anyway). Any other bands/albums you think are worth calling out are appreciated as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Through Silver in Blood for Neurosis and Streetcleaner for Godflesh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Through Silver in Blood for Neurosis and Streetcleaner for Godflesh.

This, though anything from Souls at Zero through The Eye of Every Storm will also do for Neurosis.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Alice Cooper?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Alice Cooper?

Go in chronological order starting with the third album Love It to Death and finishing with Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. That's the best period of his career by far and a string of albums that any 70s rock group would've been envious of. His material from late 70s and 80s is pretty bad overall with a few good singles. He had a bit of a revival in the early 90s and most of the material he's put out since 2000 has been solid but not as brilliant as the first few albums.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Voodoofly posted:

Where would I start with Neurosis and Godflesh/Jesu? If it helps I've been listening to Oceanic by Isis (the band) quite a few times again recently and Neurosis and Godflesh keep popping up as influences for them (Neurosis as an Oakland band has been on my list for a while anyway). Any other bands/albums you think are worth calling out are appreciated as well.

Jesu's self titled album and Lifeline EP are my two favorites of theirs, if you have to pick one then the self titled release, some really good tracks and interesting textures.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Alice Cooper?

You can't go wrong with any of Killer, Love It to Death or Billion Dollar Babies.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I remember Pretties For You as being weird and pretty good. I don’t know if it’s easy to find or not. It used to be hard to find.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the recs everyone. Really digging what I've listened to so far. Is there a good/definitive video recording of one of his live shows that's considered "the best?" I wanna see all the on-stage theatrics I keep reading about.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember liking Raise Your Glass and So What, but I've never really done a big P!nk deep dive. Anything to recommend?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Listened to We Didn't Start The Fire because I saw someone make a joke about a new version about 2020, and it made me realize I don't know much of the rest of Billy Joel's work. Any tips for starting him?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Junpei posted:

Listened to We Didn't Start The Fire because I saw someone make a joke about a new version about 2020, and it made me realize I don't know much of the rest of Billy Joel's work. Any tips for starting him?

The uneven-to-weak early material:
- Cold Spring Harbor (1971)
- Piano Man (1973)
- Streetlife Serenade (1974)

Even though the third of these is probably my favorite of his albums, basically everything that's good from these records apart from big singles "Piano Man" and "The Entertainer" is done again and better on 1981's Songs in the Attic live record.

The New York records:
- Turnstiles (1976)
- The Stranger (1977)
- 52nd Street (1978)

Joel peaks here by nearly all accounts, moving back to the east coast after giving up trying to "make it" in LA, settling in with a core backing band lineup, and writing a lot of his best material. If you want to dive albums and not just greatest hits compilations (which are just fine, tbh, and actually have a couple singles he recorded specifically for them in the mid-80s that are completely worth it) these are the records to start with, especially The Stranger.

The concept records (sort of, I guess):
- Glass Houses (1980)
- The Nylon Curtain (1982)
- An Innocent Man (1983)

Glass Houses probably sounds more like the year 1980 than perhaps any other record by any other artist. It's practically got huge ironed lapels and a floral print in earthtones. It's a strange record, with a few attempts at something like a harder-edged sound backed with bouncy singles that continued his chart domination. Nylon Curtain is a very popular record, and it's essentially Joel (as he himself has said) trying to emulate Paul McCartney for two sides of vinyl, but there's material on there that just makes my skin crawl. Also he stole the hook for "Goodnight Saigon" from Thomas Dolby's "Airwaves," and "Airwaves" is loving ace. An Innocent Man is a much stronger record, with seven of its ten songs (!) hitting the charts as singles, though occasionally the "this is definitely a white guy trying to do retro black music" vibes get a bit weird.

The last records:
- The Bridge (1986)
- Storm Front (1989)
- River of Dreams (1993)

Billy starts firing most of his band and turning to session players. The Bridge and River of Dreams are straight-up lesser records. Stay for the big singles ("River of Dreams," "A Matter of Trust") and maybe a few of the other tracks, but otherwise, move along. Storm Front (which has "We Didn't Start the Fire" on it) is his last great hurrah before his retirement from being a working studio artist, with a number of huge singles and some absolutely dire decisions that only 1989 could provide (to wit, the witless Glasnost parable "Leningrad.")

The all-instrumental classical record Fantasies & Delusions:
- Fantasies & Delusions (2001)

Nah. You're more likely to have fun with the fairly-dire lone record from Attila (Joel's heavy psychedelic duo from 1970 where he played organ alongside the drummer from his previous band and had songs like "Amplifier Fire" and "Brain Invasion.")

Yes, that's real. That's Billy on the right.

In short:

Any or all of the NYC records, Songs in the Attic, Glass Houses, An Innocent Man and Storm Front will give you most of the high points. Or Greatest Hits vols. 1-3 if you don't feel like album diving.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Junpei posted:

hexwren's post is pretty thorough.

If you're an album guy, like me, you should probably start with The Stranger. It is pretty much a greatest hits album by itself. In fact, I saw him live a few years ago, and during the course of the 2 1/2 hour show, he played every song on that album. Piano Man is very solid. It really set the stage for what he would later become.

Really, I would also suggest a live album. He has a lot more energy than you would expect in his live shows. He's a fantastic live performer. I recommend the Shea Stadium concert.

As a bonus, here's a track from Storm Front that wound up doing better on the country charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXZ_tJkiyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Attila wasn't actually Billy Joel's first band. Before that, he was in an act called The Hassles, who put out a couple albums that weren't bad but also weren't particularly memorable.