Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, im digging the halflife/tf2 stuff. Headcrabs are gonna plague block 1 for like a week

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, im digging the halflife/tf2 stuff. Headcrabs are gonna plague block 1 for like a week

The Pyro gasmask is going to become a staple. Let's be honest.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Diephoon posted:

From ARKS-Layer

Wait I need to install the game twice in order to transfer to steam? Ugh.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I don't even have room for two installs on my SSD, lol

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's ok, all you have to do is install it on a HDD, authorize it, delete both versions, then reinstall the Steam version on the SSD!

You know, until sometime next year when they release an entirely new game that's also tied to this account somehow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Revitalized posted:

After playing PSO2, I've come to realize why most RPG games like to recycle well known creatures of myth.

When a game tells me to go kill a medusa or a unicorn or something, I know to look for.

When PSO2 tells me to kill a Dagan or Luda Sorcerer or Gigur Giggawatts, I have no clue what the hell that is. (I mean, I know what they are now, but for new players it's like "what the gently caress is that"

I've played PS games since the Genesis days and I still can't stand the tech/spell naming scheme (or lack thereof) the games use. At least with Final Fantasy the ra/ga/ja/da naming scheme are just them attempting to have a fancier suffix for tier 1/2/3/4/5 on their non-obtusely named spells (and I'm glad FFXIV just went back to numbers).

kirbysuperstar posted:

Even in a custom path, it can break.

It's still likely to break when it's installed through Steam. The upside is that it'll be simple to re-verify/install as needed.

motoh posted:

Sounds like a great reason to post the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBp_FCWA6k

:bisonyes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's still likely to break when it's installed through Steam. The upside is that it'll be simple to re-verify/install as needed.

Yeah I even had the vanilla JP client break itself a few times. Removing the appx registration process from the mix should hopefully help things.

On the other hand, right now you need to keep the appx version installed to link your account to the Steam version so that's fun.

quote:

The first thing you need to know is that the steam version of PSO2 currently (in the code) requires an authorization code from whatever version of PSO2 you previously played if you want to continue progress on that account.

As in, do not delete your Windows Store/XB1 copy of PSO2 yet (or ever, if that's your thing!). The code indicates that you will need a key from a previous copy of PSO2 and have 15 minutes to enter it on the steam copy to link accounts. This is likely done instead of a login in order to prevent needing to support the Xbox Live API. It also appears that you can unlink your steam account as well.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

motoh posted:

Sounds like a great reason to post the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBp_FCWA6k

I missed this somehow.

Ryoma Nagare's Mom is amazing.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
God maybe the game will finally be populated with decent people once it's on a functional pc platfo-pfffffff who am i kidding this is phantasy star. I still love it though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can only guess at what sort of eldritch horror Valve and Microsoft encountered with XBL+PSO2 and Steam account linking that lead to this weird code thing as the solution. At the least, if the code you need just comes from being logged in to PSO2 then console players who want to run it on Steam can probably just get the code from their XB1 install and enter that on their PC I'd hope.

MR. J posted:

God maybe the game will finally be populated with decent people once it's on a functional pc platfo-pfffffff who am i kidding this is phantasy star. I still love it though

If nothing else, I imagine the game will see a surge of players when the Xenoblade New Genesis update hits next year.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So when I try the game out on the 5th is getting a Dreamcast or Sega Saturn MAG’s in any way feasible or is it one of those insane $500 dollar whale microtransactions or a well-past endgame random pickup?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You can clear the story right now to get a Dreamcast Mag Device but this ends on 8/4.

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/clearstoryquests0708

Previously this was only available to Xbox Closed Beta testers, not sure how available it was to JP players. Presumably they can bring it back again but who knows when.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

BWAH

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Now THATS endgame

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Diephoon posted:

You can clear the story right now to get a Dreamcast Mag Device but this ends on 8/4.

Previously this was only available to Xbox Closed Beta testers, not sure how available it was to JP players. Presumably they can bring it back again but who knows when.

Glad I went through the story, because while the support team was able to verify that I completed the requirements for the Dreamcast MAG device during the closed beta, and was able to verify that I hadn't redeemed it, they were somehow unable to verify that I had claimed it from the Visiphone, so told me "sorry, sucks to suck" and closed the ticket after 6 weeks.

Super frustrating, because I know I had the item in my inventory when I logged on the Xbox client (before the PC launch) , but it was gone when I started up the PC client a few weeks later.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

Glad I went through the story, because while the support team was able to verify that I completed the requirements for the Dreamcast MAG device during the closed beta, and was able to verify that I hadn't redeemed it, they were somehow unable to verify that I had claimed it from the Visiphone, so told me "sorry, sucks to suck" and closed the ticket after 6 weeks.

Super frustrating, because I know I had the item in my inventory when I logged on the Xbox client (before the PC launch) , but it was gone when I started up the PC client a few weeks later.

I guess by now you would have checked, but I've often found stuff I was looking for in character storage on my least used alt. I usually just use all storage, so it's easy to forget about character storage. :shrug:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

THE loving MOON posted:

I guess by now you would have checked, but I've often found stuff I was looking for in character storage on my least used alt. I usually just use all storage, so it's easy to forget about character storage. :shrug:

Yeah, I looked through all the storages. It sucks, but at least they made it available another way.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Diephoon posted:

I got mine as a code in a physical art book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Diephoon posted:

How long does it take to clear through that part of Episode 3 if you've been slacking on the story stuff and are still in Ep 1?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I can't give you an exact estimate. Hours and hours. I've been mashing skip through the whole story and sticking to casual boss fights to get them over with and I'm not done with episode 3 yet, though I only just started episode 3 today. Episode 1 in particular seems pretty sloggy.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

If you skip cut scenes...a couple hours? I redid most of the combat story missions to get a S rank on hardcore (cheesing with a max level 10 star pet and a level 30ish summoner) and it took about one hour spread over 4-5 days (though I had to do the ARK tournament three times which sucked). This does not include the end of episode 3 missions.

It's worth noting that Episode 1 is much longer than Episode 2 or 3.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 29, 2020

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

it feels like leveling has really slowed down since I hit 60 a few days ago. What's the recommended way to level once exp stops flowing in?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Raise the risk level on vhaqs, get all effed up on boosters, bring a full party and hope for a good pse burst. I got from 71 to 73 on my fo in like 20 minutes a couple weeks ago.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When there's not a good AQ boost going on I believe people prefer Floating Facility very hard advanced quests for xping. So find an all class launcher you can use (sigma bastad is the basic least expensive option) and go nuts. The launcher is mainly so you can sit in a corner on PSE bursts and tab out for xp.

Keep in mind next week is bonus keys so while AQs are still an option there's going to be better options to turbo xp later.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tenik posted:

it feels like leveling has really slowed down since I hit 60 a few days ago. What's the recommended way to level once exp stops flowing in?

The 60s are really the worst. At least the mining bases give some ok xp if you load up on boosters.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
We'll have bonus quests next week, so exp issues will be less painful starting then.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yes when bonus quests are in, do all the daily recommended quests because the gift box in the gateship has a chance to give you a key to access them for mad exp.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
For some reason I always find the "12 dorks hammer on their keyboards" ending to Mining Base Def. Op: Ending to be unintentionally hilarious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nemo2342 posted:

For some reason I always find the "12 dorks hammer on their keyboards" ending to Mining Base Def. Op: Ending to be unintentionally hilarious.

[Apprentice] cannot withstand the power of 12 simultaneous shitposts

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
That flourish in sync at the end is hilarious.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Gordon-samaXCrowbar OTP

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The new update in Japan has the last story chapter, as well as cyber goth costumes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9A1AS0hjU

The update title is “Profound Darkness, Great Light.” Is this the first time we’ve heard the term “great light” from Phantasy Star 4 referenced in PSO2? I haven’t been keeping up since episode 5.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The new update in Japan has the last story chapter, as well as cyber goth costumes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9A1AS0hjU

The update title is “Profound Darkness, Great Light.” Is this the first time we’ve heard the term “great light” from Phantasy Star 4 referenced in PSO2? I haven’t been keeping up since episode 5.

It is, and through datamining/leaks we have learned that the great light is the friends we made along the way

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I know it kind of defeats the point, but I really love smacking things in the face with the launcher. It's very satisfying to see them go flying.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

It is, and through datamining/leaks we have learned that the great light is the friends we made along the way

Weird but on-brand for PSO2. I figured the photoners were supposed to be the great light, same as the ancients in PSU.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Japan can't go one minute without plugging The Real Super Power of Teamwork.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’d been thinking this game was just Kingdom Hearts in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Weird but on-brand for PSO2. I figured the photoners were supposed to be the great light, same as the ancients in PSU.

The Photoners are to the Great Light as the Darkers are to the Profound Darkness.