Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

ElTacoGato posted:

The bull moose I was pumping full of drugs decided to swim out to the middle of Owanjila Lake before passing out, despite my best efforts to keep it close to shore. So I had to play a rousing game of 'push the carcass across the lake before my horse's stamina drains and also before this dumb moose wakes up'. Don't recommend that game, but at least I got the sample and a picture of the thing once it woke up.

just lasso it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

It never even occurred to me that doing so would work. :saddowns:

Will definitely do that next time. Thanks!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's so funny to me that Arthur Morgan is so strong he can wrestle deer barehanded.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

ElTacoGato posted:

The bull moose I was pumping full of drugs decided to swim out to the middle of Owanjila Lake before passing out, despite my best efforts to keep it close to shore. So I had to play a rousing game of 'push the carcass across the lake before my horse's stamina drains and also before this dumb moose wakes up'. Don't recommend that game, but at least I got the sample and a picture of the thing once it woke up.

:3: :3: :3:

Did you try lassoing it? Works well for sleepygators - just helped sedate one for a rando near my Lakay-area camp, and dragged it onto shore so they could harvest.

Of course, ten minutes later I've hosed off to chase raspberries, and some modmenu shitbird had to try exploding me. Made me have to restow my critters twice, and either the daily was hosed, the listing was hosed, or getting exploded hosed me up, because I got my 5/5 berrypicking, but it never checked off the daily listing.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

So pretty much none of Gus' trinkets are worth it right? I've got the one that gives you more herbs when you pick them, which should save some time and was thinking about the one that gives you a better chance at perfect pelts until I remembered that I don't need pelts, I deal in carcasses. OK, so it may not be exactly worthless, but I fail to see a huge upside to it..?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Freudian slippers posted:

So pretty much none of Gus' trinkets are worth it right? I've got the one that gives you more herbs when you pick them, which should save some time and was thinking about the one that gives you a better chance at perfect pelts until I remembered that I don't need pelts, I deal in carcasses. OK, so it may not be exactly worthless, but I fail to see a huge upside to it..?

I think they're just trying to bleed off some of the surplus cash people have built up from the busted economy, a wave of 500 dollar plus purchases add up quickly and I'm sure it's balanced against the average level of grind/glitch exploitation people have put in to date.

I thought myself beyond the game systems with my semi-casual 15 grand but if I bought every unnecessary addition in this patch it'd be bled away to very little right quick.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

It annoys me that, say, grizzly pelts or elk pelts are worth so little compared to white tail carcasses. Sure, I don't mind filling Cripps' supplies quickly murdering every deer in the Heartlands, but I really wish the game would give me a reason to set up camp in Ambarino, West Elisabeth or any other place, really. But hunting anything but white tails is a huge waste of time.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s because the great demand for deer sausage. Delicious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is a bit strange, but it's really not quite as far off from reality as you might expect. In modern dollars, a single deer carcass has about 1500 dollars of venison on it if you sell at retail value, 2200$ if you get one of the bigger bucks. That's just the meat value, not adding anything else you might be able to sell and/or use profitably. According to a US hunting forum, a black bear pelt goes at anywhere from 150$ to 300$ tanned when you sell it, depending on location, quality and size of the pelt itself. A grizzly pelt (I looked through the inventory of a website that sells whole tanned pelts) goes from 1500$ dollars and up, although that's apparently considered pretty overpriced by the users of the same hunting website I got the black bear thing from.

A bunch of skin and fur, even from a big and dangerous animal like a bear, just isn't worth as much as enough meat from that animal to feed an entire family for weeks or more. Kinda stands to reason, really, when you think about it for a moment.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it does make sense, but for balance purposes I think it’d be better if the large pelts you can only carry one of from animals that are the most scarce/remote/dangerous to hunt we’re worth proportionally more than the ones you can stack infinitely at no risk to yourself

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, RDR2 is nothing if not willing to make bad gameplay decisions when doing otherwise would get in the way of being the realistic Cowboy Life Simulator that it really wants to be, so... :v:

But yeah, it's a bit annoying, especially when you're used to expecting that anything which is rare and difficult to get must by default also be one of the more valuable trade goods in a game. What I find helps is to download the Hunting Wagon mod (which lets you summon a hunting wagon in singleplayer) which allows you to just pile any number of pelts in the back and makes hunting expeditions more profitable and less tedious simply by making it take less time to actually collect and sell an appreciable number of them. It's very stable and I haven't encountered any crashes or glitches yet, it's apparently functionally identical to the multiplayer ability that traders get.

Also, you can still shoot things while you're driving it around, which is surprisingly useful because foliage get in the way of your aim so often. I swear, if I have to hunt for perfect rabbits in tall grass one more time...

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 2, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Cougar carcasses are almost twice as valuable as deer carcasses, to be fair.

Though the real money these days is the legendary animal skins.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I know I've been stuck inside too long because I spent about five minutes checking out the pantry outside the moonshine shack's distillery room.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Every legendary pelt I've turned in so far has been worth 70. Plus 5 or so for some extra legendary item.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Cougar carcasses are almost twice as valuable as deer carcasses, to be fair.

Though the real money these days is the legendary animal skins.

They sure are, but I can fill up Cripps' inventory with deer much, much faster than with cougars. Also, the time spent hunting the legendary animals does not justify the payout, IMO. For dollars a minute, I very much doubt anything beats white tails in the Heartlands (Trader-wise of course).

E: The missions can of course be fun and worth doing on their own, but I don't see how hunting legendaries competes with the alcoholic hobo for payout vs time spent.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Well I came into this update with $22k, so 4 of the 5 were worth it to me. I really value the reduction in weapon degradation trinket above all others. But I'm probably in the minority there.

Zesty posted:

Every legendary pelt I've turned in so far has been worth 70. Plus 5 or so for some extra legendary item.

I sold one of the legendary bison to Gus for $95. Though I don't think I can bring myself to kill another one of those beautiful bastards :negative:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 2, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is it just me or does the Outlaw Pass suck? I'm supposed to want to pay like $20 for this? One of the items is some raggedy rear end torn pants

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No, please don’t buy gold with real money. 40 gold is only 4 days of dailies on a 3 week streak and you get all your gold bars back in throughout the outlaw pass' rewards.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 3, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the ripped pants kick rear end

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

fennesz posted:

Well I came into this update with $22k, so 4 of the 5 were worth it to me. I really value the reduction in weapon degradation trinket above all others. But I'm probably in the minority there.

The weapon degradation trinket is definitely the good one. The higher quality of pelts seems nice at first glance, except I never want to do trader again.

The rest? VERY meh. Faster horse bonding? Double of JUST the three spice herbs?

Had to look up the last one. Slower horse core drain isn’t bad actually. I’d probably get it after the weapon degrade one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've almost worked my way back up to $40 gold so I guess I'll get that pass. What's the worst that could happen?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

you get all your gold back AND an australian shepherd

deal of the loving century imo

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dick Trauma posted:

I've almost worked my way back up to $40 gold so I guess I'll get that pass. What's the worst that could happen?
For anyone else interested don't worry about rushing too fast to buy the outlaw pass. You can wait until the day before it ends (oct 18th) before buying and as long as you earned as much XP that they required during that time they'll just give you all the rewards at once.

Its kinda like a real version of that twitter hack. Pay us 40 gold and we'll give you 40 gold back plus a ton of other poo poo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i spent my 41 golds on the pass then was like gently caress i dont have 25 golds for the new role so i did my 10 treasure maps or whatever and got the first golds 10 golds from the pass and like 1 and a half days of half rear end dailies with no bonus and boom 25 golds

now i got like 17 golds and the pass still owes me 20

I dunno if its new with this patch but now there's a bonus challenge gold for doing 9/15 role dailies, which is pretty quick and easy with 4 roles and comes out to like 6 gold a day once you've got the 3 week bonus, just for doing that

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a bunch of 2k Naturalist XP tickets in there in there. I've gotten 5 levels worth just from tickets.

Also poachers can gently caress off.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BriskFlippantKarakul-mobile.mp4

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I noticed that they let people with Twitch Prime get in the naturalist stuff for free, which is nice.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I think some of those rewards are bugged, I got a bunch of twitch prime stuff despite never signing up and way more free naturalist xp than is listed on any of the reward tracks

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is it just me or does the Outlaw Pass suck? I'm supposed to want to pay like $20 for this? One of the items is some raggedy rear end torn pants

The busted rear end clothes are the best clothes in the game. My favorite outfit is the one that makes my dude look the most backwoods hermit guru.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Ayup. One of my go-to outfits is the nasty overalls, the grubby undershirt, rope beltvand holsters, and the tobacco hat. Plus the messist unkempt 'do. I look like I have a horse up on blocks outside my trailer.

Finished out the Outlaw Pass. Selling off about nine assrted collections really did the trick.

Also managed to pull off a double today - 9 Role and all 7 General dailies. :toot: Biggest hassle was finding someone to help, because caravan defense doesn't count.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

If you play a lot of poker you really get to see the range of characters in the game. There seem to be three or four classes of online character: Fancy Lad/y (all slacks/dresses and tailcoats and top hats), Murder Boy (Black on black on black with red highlights and an eyepatch or scar), Cowpoke (Your mid tier cowboy gear, pants with holes, patches, old man moustaches), and Mountain Hobo (animal skin chic, outfit contains several faces, only one human).

It's really quite fun. Personally my guy is like, a 75 year old Cowpoke with that one droopy sad moustache.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Needs more witchy folk

The hat on the last naturalist outfit is also good for witch vibin

Kinda wish I could put the snake and bird rings on my other hand, they replace my pretty turquoise ring :(

Edit:

FISH WITHOUT LIMITS

Beeb fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 3, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Harriet doesn't care for my fashion choices. I am in fact honoring Cousin Fox carrying him on my head.

Got the trapper look down and am trying my hand at a melee approach. I have Cold Blooded, Of Single Purpose and The Short Game. Are those the best choices?

Unfortunately, the ancient tomahawk is not a permanent melee weapon. :sigh:

fennesz posted:

The busted rear end clothes are the best clothes in the game. My favorite outfit is the one that makes my dude look the most backwoods hermit guru.

I've been seeing a lot more hillbilly folk roaming the hills and even had a friendly brawl with one.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So it's entirely possible that I've simply been struck blind, but I've got the gold to unlock Trader now and I... don't see the butcher's table for sale at the camp anymore. I remember I saw the cutscene with meeting Cripps in town earlier and not having enough gold to actually kick off Trader, what am I missing?

EDIT: Yeah, when I ride into my camp I even get the popup telling me to buy it from the Wilderness Outfitters menu, but when I look it doesn't show up under Equipment for the camp (or any other menu for that matter). Is it bugged? Restarting and changing lobbies didn't help.

Inverted Sphere fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 3, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh lord I didn't realize there were different categories of Ability cards. :smith:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

It annoys me that, say, grizzly pelts or elk pelts are worth so little compared to white tail carcasses. Sure, I don't mind filling Cripps' supplies quickly murdering every deer in the Heartlands, but I really wish the game would give me a reason to set up camp in Ambarino, West Elisabeth or any other place, really. But hunting anything but white tails is a huge waste of time.

The animals from far north definitely should be ten times as valuable, or there should be a small living town in Colter to counter the remoteness. Right now it's just weird.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does the big fur coat at Gus' require a grizzly bear pelt or something? I turned in two bear pelts and I still can't buy it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

there should be a button you can press to show the ingredients

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Nice to see an influx of new players with the latest update. Dropped off a lady stranded in the woods at the sheriff's office in Valentine. I exit the cutscene and there are two idiots in the road aiming their pistols at me. Nothing two shells out of my pump shotgun couldn't solve :clint:

SplitSoul posted:

Does the big fur coat at Gus' require a grizzly bear pelt or something? I turned in two bear pelts and I still can't buy it.

A perfect grizzly pelt if memory serves.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Was there a reward on the PS4 to give part of the recipe for the new trinket to increase pelt quality?

I booted up yesterday for the first time in ages and checked out Gus and noticed I already had the turquoise earrings, so all I needed was a set of buck antlers (and a pile of cash) to get it within like 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

SplitSoul posted:

"Bear" in crafting instances always refers to grizzly... unless there's something I forget that requires a black bear pelt.

Speaking of which, I'm actually running into more black bears around the swamps than I am up north - would have had another sample of one, but I forgot to swap my varmint gun back in and was magdumping buckshot. :ohdear: