Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sab0921 posted:

Just started rewatching the show and take in Jerusalem's essay's a few days after watching each episode - they are incredible - just want to say thank you for the time, effort, and dedication that you put into them for no financial reward - I honestly feel like I should Venmo Jerusalem some money - I'm basically reading a several hundred page, well researched, and well written book on the Sopranos.

His recaps are great, agreed.

Way better than that Soprano's Sessions book I read (speaking of books) and with fewer factual errors to boot.

If you ever find yourself getting into The Wire (you should), he did a thread on that too that's around here somewhere.

EDIT:

God, what a lovely snipe. Let me throw a minor observation out there and say that I watched Mean Streets the other night and recognized the guy who played Ritchie Aprile, Manson Lamps and all. I'd love to see a "tree" of all the actors that were in other movies, if only for a moment. I know the Goodfellas and Godfather cross overs have been widely documented but then I also saw Aida Turturo in Sleepers and Michael Imperiolli in Tree's Lounge recently so gently caress me if I don't get a chuckle seeing these actors in other movies.

What's the most "holy poo poo, that's 'so and so'" role for this cast I wonder? I even forgot that Dominic Chianese was in Godfather 2.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the most "holy poo poo, that's 'so and so'" role for this cast I wonder? I even forgot that Dominic Chianese was in Godfather 2.

Tony Sirico, too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Tony Sirico, too.

No poo poo? Seen that movie probably 20 times and never noticed.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Pretty sure he's not in Godfather II, he is in Goodfellas though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sopranos Sessions is still a great book, to be fair, even if the mistakes are irritating at times. It just happens you can’t do a full scene-by-scene synopsis of each episode like Jerusalem does in a published book without it being approximately a couple thousand pages long, so it’ll naturally be less detailed than the kind of recap you can write online.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Sopranos Sessions is still a great book, to be fair, even if the mistakes are irritating at times. It just happens you can’t do a full scene-by-scene synopsis of each episode like Jerusalem does in a published book without it being approximately a couple thousand pages long, so it’ll naturally be less detailed than the kind of recap you can write online.

I just found it kind of dry and lacking in any real insights or theories. On the few occasions that it looked for symbolism or any sort of deeper meaning to certain things, I usually found them to be a stretch.

I actually found myself skimming large parts of it which I never did for the recaps here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vichan posted:

Pretty sure he's not in Godfather II, he is in Goodfellas though.

Apparently I had bought into a long-running urban legend (one apparently Tony himself started, or so some folks say) that he was one of the guys in a blink and you'll miss it role who were sent to clip Frank Pentangeli in the bar. The only problem is nobody can show a screenshot of it and it's possible Sirico was in jail on gun charges during the filming of II.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sirico shows up as a cop at the end of Dead Presidents and even does the "raised eyebrows" thing when he realizes the suspect is dead.

I had also completely forgotten how they wrote Edie Falco's character off of Oz once the Sopranos started, it seems like they were pissed she was leaving and chose an absurd reason because of it.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

Season 6, Episode 21 - The Final Scene

i just finished rewatching sopranos as well.
My view on final episode. Tony had a stroke/heart attack over stress in his life.
HIs therapist had left him. His right hand man is in coma. His nephew successor is dead and there is no-one but paulie left to run the business, and he doesnt trust paulie because he talks too much. Carrodo doesnt even remember who he is.
the cafe acted as trigger as well. There is plenty of valid concerns in the cafe the black men the mafia man. Its brand new restaurant for him as well so he doesnt know anyone in it. His family is late as well.

Its interesting how wrong i remembered sopranos from first time. It feels like i watched some alternative reality sopranos, but i also skipped lots of episodes when it first aired. However the plot in my false memory is fairly interesting.
in my memories olivia was in the family as way for other characters to pass some harder to talk points to tony.
sil never went to coma but became head of family at end.
paulie betray's tony and sides in johnny side leading to full scale war between families.
melfy ends up dead because of tony's temper
olivia goes into jail, at some point as well.
carmine sides with johnny's crew as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dark Off posted:

the cafe acted as trigger as well. There is plenty of valid concerns in the cafe the black men the mafia man. Its brand new restaurant for him as well so he doesnt know anyone in it. His family is late as well.

The big essay on how Tony gets shot in the cafe points out that all the anxiety of the scene is the audience projecting onto Tony. Tony himself spends most of the scene looking over the menu and jukebox and doesn't actually seem very concerned with the goings-on. You are tense because you know it's the last scene of the show.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

The big essay on how Tony gets shot in the cafe points out that all the anxiety of the scene is the audience projecting onto Tony. Tony himself spends most of the scene looking over the menu and jukebox and doesn't actually seem very concerned with the goings-on. You are tense because you know it's the last scene of the show.
to me he looks depressed. And has tony ever looked concerned/scared in the show?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dark Off posted:

to me he looks depressed. And has tony ever looked concerned/scared in the show?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Most of Isabella (an amazing episode) features Tony in a complete funk until he learns this one weird trick (Melfis hate him!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1aPic4rQVA

Hmmm.... feel like I kinda wanna rewatch the entire series again after watching this. God, Tony was so "thin" in season 1.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 31, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Most of Isabella (an amazing episode) features Tony in a complete funk until he learns this one weird trick (Melfis hate him!)

Hmmm.... feel like I kinda rewatch the entire series again after watching this. God, Tony was so "thin" in season 1.

God, how on point was The Sopranos when it came to music?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The University ending was the zenith of this. I've thought about making up a cast tribute scored to Living on a Thin Line but I'm not very effective at such things

And ofc obligatory mention of chicken town

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"I'm Not Like Everybody Else" by the Kinks as Tony triumphantly walks out of the Baccalieri house after provoking Janice to physically attack him in front of the kids.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Jerusalem posted:

Hmmm.... feel like I kinda rewatch the entire series again after watching this. God, Tony was so "thin" in season 1.

oh MAN what a great scene. The way the music drops out as he "snaps" into fight/flight mode is perfect. I have seen this scene many times and its still exciting every time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I forgot they BOTH get close enough for Tony to grab the gun. One dude watches the other guy make this mistake and then does it himself.

The killings often go sideways now that I think about it. Even the really seasoned criminals gently caress those up, like Tony B getting his foot run over or the Italians shooting a civilian instead of their target.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 30, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PostNouveau posted:

I forgot they BOTH get close enough for Tony to grab the gun. One dude watches the other guy make this mistake and then does it himself.

The killings often go sideways now that I think about it. Even the really seasoned criminals gently caress those up, like Tony B getting his foot run over or the Italians shooting a civilian instead of their target.

Walden Belfiore is the best hitman in the series

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

PostNouveau posted:

It does underline the collective delusion these people live under - they're all untrained, undisciplined fuckups with zero foresight, yet to a man they consider and call themselves "soldiers."

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

Walden, what kinda name is that for an Italian?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa did Greg Fitzsimmons' (he's a comedian and knows Steve from his time in Vegas when he was in charge of entertainment at one of the casnos) podcast the other day.

https://gregfitz.libsyn.com/michael-imperioli-steve-schirripa-episode-869

It's not really earth shattering, they just sort of talk about comedy stuff and some random Sopranos small talk like shooting locations and behind the scenes things.

You can skip the first 25 minutes or so if you don't feel like hearing a guy from Boston ramble on about things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

This is one of the more true to life things mob-related. Even pro mob hits are these weird, messy things in most cases. You wouldn't be shocked to learn how many usually feature the phrase "hail of gunfire" or have weird twists like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre going down because somebody thought one of Bugs Moran's guys was Moran himself (who decided to sleep in that day and wasn't even there).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

Bacala Senior probably has the longest track record of successful hits. His last hit goes sideways since the roommate interrupts him just as he's about to blow Mustang Sally away and it turns into a fight instead but based on how he sticks through it and "wins" that encounter even while being barely able to breathe demonstrates how lethal he probably was in his younger days.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dark Off posted:

i just finished rewatching sopranos as well.
My view on final episode. Tony had a stroke/heart attack over stress in his life.
HIs therapist had left him. His right hand man is in coma. His nephew successor is dead and there is no-one but paulie left to run the business, and he doesnt trust paulie because he talks too much. Carrodo doesnt even remember who he is.

wait. what?

I thought they established that the Soprano family had been there several times before?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

Bacala Senior probably has the longest track record of successful hits. His last hit goes sideways since the roommate interrupts him just as he's about to blow Mustang Sally away and it turns into a fight instead but based on how he sticks through it and "wins" that encounter even while being barely able to breathe demonstrates how lethal he probably was in his younger days.

Sadly we never get to see Lou Dimaggio and the Atwell Avenue Boys do their thing, but they had to be good at it since it was apparently their main source of income.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly we never get to see Lou Dimaggio and the Atwell Avenue Boys do their thing, but they had to be good at it since it was apparently their main source of income.

Crusty old guys being good enforcers seems comical but I thought I remember reading somewhere that some mob guy said it was actually realistic because you have to be pretty good at it to kill that many people and make it to that age without successful reprisals.

Wish I could remember who said that but I know I remember reading it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Crusty old guys being good enforcers seems comical but I thought I remember reading somewhere that some mob guy said it was actually realistic because you have to be pretty good at it to kill that many people and make it to that age without successful reprisals.

Wish I could remember who said that but I know I remember reading it

There's also trust built up with older guys who have been around a long time. I can only assume when you're tasking someone with committing the ultimate crime, the first priority is that they're someone you trust 100%.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmaCDZJjS8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCBpMs-9hY

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just finished my first viewing of The Sopranos with my wife, and I honestly wasn't too impressed until seasons 5 and 6. Good show. Shame about Silvio.

Small question about the final scene- is the viewer supposed to accept that "Don't Stop Believin" is the song that Tony plays from the jukebox? I am having such a hard time sequencing that scene, because we have the song playing in real time, Meadow attempting to parallel park in real time, and conversation from the family happening in real time, but there are, simultaneous to that, time jumps. Carmella says that AJ is "on his way" but he immediately enters the diner. Meadow will be a little late, but she is parking in the time that it takes Members Only to order a cup of coffee. Tony says that he ordered onion rings for the table, but we don't see it.

Is this an intentional thing? Presenting a scene in real time or skipping the mundane aspects of life are both normal things for a show to do, but the fact that both seemed to be happening at the same time made the whole thing feel really dreamy and weird.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 1, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

Small question about the final scene-

Uh oh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a new study bible! posted:

Small question about the final scene

I have some thoughts *links to 10,000-word essay I've been updating every six months since 2008

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I have some thoughts *links to 10,000-word essay I've been updating every six months since 2008

*arms crossed, impatiently tapping foot

Well? You gonna post it or not?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if you paid attention, tony actually put in enough money to load up don't stop believing for forty five minutes

the members only guy had actually walked out of the diner in rage, then returned shortly after meadow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The latest episode of Talkin' Sopranos (covering Big Girls Don't Cry) features a must-listen story from Terence Winter about conning his way into a writing career. I always recommend that podcast but I particularly recommend this one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Here's what Meadow's been up to since the show ended:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1289734769618456577

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how come nobody wears a seatbelt in this show? it's stressing me out

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Here's what Meadow's been up to since the show ended:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1289734769618456577

So the Sopranos was completely on the money when they lampooned Italian Americans' persecution complex.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vichan posted:

So the Sopranos was completely on the money when they lampooned Italian Americans' persecution complex.

It was just last year that the Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo dropped an N-bomb on the radio trying to prove a point about anti-Italian American language, and his brother Chris Cuomo of CNN insisted that being called Fredo is just as bad as being called the N-word. So yeah, no self-awareness but plenty of irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I enjoyed that my first time watching Sopranos occurred alongside the legitimate tearing down of Columbus statues.