Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This discussion made me remember a bit kinda skimmed over before that follows another Mookie writing trend. Tragic backgrounds, self-inflicted or not, are typically a trait of villains in Mookies work while heroes are pretty privileged people. Blue badlady's species being wiped out was shown side by side with Danica's childhood, whose biggest struggle shown was "what if when I'm older I can't go literally everywhere I want?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

I think this is important to grasp because for Mookie, racism is correct. You aren't supposed to hate people for being different, but you are able to fundamentally class people into different categories that are essetiallized to a few core traits that the entire race shares.

He doesn't think in terms of race as much as clique. Jock, preppy, nerd, sluts, and mommygood girls all fit nicely into their roles and don't deviate. The bully remark is especially apt- he can't conceive of bigotry besides whatever teasing he experienced.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To be fair to Mookie, the way he handles his species in this is dumb and bad, but I mean, it's pretty standard. Star Wars has been doing it for decades. I mean, Star Wars is entirely based upon it. 'Oola was a sex slave, ergo all Twi'lek are sex slaves! Jabba was a mafioso, ergo all Hutts are Mafia! Biths were seen playing music at the cantina, ergo all Biths are musicians!'
It may be on the lower and lazier end of how sci-fi handles alien species, but it's also pretty normal, sadly. I think it's the other stuff that's more worthy of mock and attention since it's bad even by the standards of popular sci-fi and superhero comics.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair to Mookie, the way he handles his species in this is dumb and bad, but I mean, it's pretty standard. Star Wars has been doing it for decades. I mean, Star Wars is entirely based upon it. 'Oola was a sex slave, ergo all Twi'lek are sex slaves! Jabba was a mafioso, ergo all Hutts are Mafia! Biths were seen playing music at the cantina, ergo all Biths are musicians!'
It may be on the lower and lazier end of how sci-fi handles alien species, but it's also pretty normal, sadly. I think it's the other stuff that's more worthy of mock and attention since it's bad even by the standards of popular sci-fi and superhero comics.

Yeah, but that is also the reason that pretty much all important Star Wars characters are human; even with C3P0, R2D2 and Chewbacca being prominent cast members, they are mostly set dressing. The problem is that all stories only really mean something if we can relate them to the human experience in some form, and that includes sci-fi. For your alien characters to work and be meaningful you need them to reflect a certain kind of person; ironically they need to be humanised to matter. The only way you can skirt past this is if you are writing cosmic horror, in which the point of the story becomes man's experience with nature/the unknown.

If you're trying to hit a middle point between your aliens being differently-shaped humans and being utterly unrelateable you're going to end up with some sort of comical, childish setup like what we're seeing here. The only compelling alien character so far is the evil blue lady, because in spite of being cartoonishly stereotypical, she is that in defiance of the rest of her species. Her being a stereotype worked in the opposite way and lent her individuality and character.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nevermind that the lenses on her lensman suit form the shape of Orion (a constellation that only makes sense when viewed from Earth and of which Mitch is not one of the stars of, those stars all have names already), but goddamn it! I forgot about the stupid speed holes in Danica's costume.

I'm certain it was Mookie wanting to avoid a boob window (or being talked out of one by the artist, either-or). The shoulder holes I can overlook, the shin holes are loving stupid, but why the gently caress is Mitch making her walk around barefoot in outer space?
Foot fetish.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's bad when Star Wars/Star Trek do it too though?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh totally, it's bad and should be called out when they do it. I just feel that given how egregious everything else with Mookie's writing is, bothering to call him out for a flaw that is sadly industry standard is pretty petty/silly when there's so much worse going on.

If Mookie was merely as bad a writer as your average Star Wars EU author, we probably wouldn't be having these threads.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

The existence of fictional slurs in a work I can see, although you know...handle with care and all. It's the way he just throws up a page of lore that "And here's all the racial slurs and why people use it!" in the style of the other lore pages that just talk about the races that weirds me out. Maybe I'm not explaining well, but it sounds like Disco Elysium has it come up in the game as part of the dialogue and not a giant list someone hands you? It's one of those games I've been meaning to get around to playing some day. That seems a better way of handling it then what Mookie did.

Yeah exactly. There's no in-game codex or reference or anything like that, everything is presented through conversations with NPCs or through your character's own internal thoughts.

One of the many things that makes Mookie a poor writer is that he doesn't trust his audience to be smart enough to understand anything, so he spells out everything for them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

I just assume all this stuff is from an anime Mookie just watched or directly traced from.

Pretty sure 3rd panel is the Painted World from Dark Souls 3.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

The Little Death posted:

The problem is that every species in the Millenium Federation is apparently on equal footing with all the others, and they all apparently have slurs for each other. This is because Mookie is still projecting American society into space, but leaving out racial hierarchies and any sort of class or race conflict, that is he projecting an idealized liberal understanding of society into space. This is sort of representative of Mookie's lack of imagination generally, teh same way Mongrel town quickly degenerated into a pastiche of american towns even if it had a souk in it.

This is what really gets me about these slur pages. Mookie thinks that any diverse society will naturally have come up with racial slurs they can throw at eachother because all he understands about race is from the perspective of a well-off white guy in America. All racism is being presented as equal, there's no specific group that seems to have it a lot better than all the other ones. "Everyone's a little bit racist", so there's no reason for the othering of different people, it's just a byproduct of diverse society. That's the best kind of world you can imagine, Mookie?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's the essence of "I got called a cracker, I should be able to call them a n****r" condensed into a nerdy encyclopedia entry.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Chapter 2.3

what a funny joke

This one guy thinks Star Power is evil now because of her black eyes. Because he’s apparently a weird loving moron, I guess? No one else comes to that conclusion.

Oh no! Mitch is red now! That’s CLEARLY an evil color, according to that guy.

Again, sorry about harping on this little piece of writing, but it really annoys me as it doesn’t read like something any person would say/do outside of the weird little universe inside Mookie’s head.

Anyway, blah blah blah, turns out what happened is that Danica looks like this because she’s low on star power and needs to charge it up. They have to get real close to a star and stay there for a month.

Oh those nerds, and their INTERESTS. So wacky! But also so superior and good. Yes.

Anyway, back to the superlord dragon novas and their coup, led by… We are really going with “Roarboar”, huh, aren’t we? That’s not a joke? Ok…

Yellpig declares that they no longer will sell guns, but instead fight galactic defense for “what’s rightfully theirs.” Which is… Uh… I don’t really know what they’re fighting for, exactly?

And he presses Black Hole Bill into service with them as… A figurehead? Uh. Why? This is really stupid. Like, CLEARLY he’s going to double cross you and escape the first chance he gets.

I reiterate. This is so, so loving stupid. Every villian in this comic is on stupid pills.

Purple lady is up and insists on coming on the trip to charge up Star Power. This also leads to one of Mookie’s limited stable of jokes.

Boy, it sure is goofy how they all keep saying boring! Boy, that also sure is a goofy coincidence! Haw haw!

Angry Bald Jock reiterates their intention to kill Star Power. That’s really all this scene is, restating exactly the same thing as the previous scene between these three. We already knew this, it’s not a big reveal.

Friendlyeyes Redemptionface uses actual logic. But they’re probably going to go along with the plan anyway until the plot mandates his redemption, I bet.

Pictured above: me reading this comic looking for comedy.

Case in point.

Is it though? I mean, sure, it’s better than anything Mookie could do, but… Eh.

Mitch and Danica have a heart to heart and it’s revealed why he didn’t know anything about the other sentinels.

Oh, by the way, Empathy Octopus has a crush on this one other octopus guy from the last chapter, who was taken hostage and shot by Black Hole Bill. We’ve seen barely anything of this character and he leaves immediately, but they KEEP going back to it as some HUGE deal for Empathy Octopus over and over again. Like she’s totally broken by this spurned relationship that we saw literally nothing of. It’s quite odd.

… What?

Anyway, back to Bill and… Guh… Roarboar. Ok, an actual plan: get their guns they have stashed under the bar. I mean… You seem to be just fine toting around a ton of guns right now, and you’re on a low population desert planet where you could stash stuff anywhere, so I don’t see why you would need to contract with a bar owner to hide guns… But fine, whatever.

Woah, hey, that’s actually pretty cold! Ok, Bill is a real threat.

Kill counter: 3

PSYCH! She’s totally fine, she was wearing armor!

Kill counter: 3 2

Wait, she’s actually sending a morse code distress call? Are you fuckin serious?

Anyway, issue end. This one has a metric fuckton of alien bios, so buckle up.

Trait: sanic.

Trait: guilty about genocide. (I actually kind of like this one, TBH.)

Ok, this is what I was referring to earlier with Black Hole Bill’s ship – it was an AI constructed by this race, the Zori. I’m gonna dive into each part of this bio because it really annoys me.

First, they’re just the loving Quarian from Mass Effect. Reclusive, secretive, and inventors of AI.

Second, this. Now, I’m not saying AI will inevitably cause a robot apocalypse, but this handwaving away of those stories completely misunderstands them. I can buy AI being incredibly difficult to build – but that’s the whole POINT. Once you’ve built the first one, it can learn to build more of itself much, much faster and propagate powerful, intelligent beings at an incredible rate unfathomable to its creators. That’s the whole point of the restrictions on AIs in Mass Effect – to keep them from becoming another Geth. Or to take it from another angle, you don’t even NEED more than one AI – Skynet in Terminator is a singular AI (at least in the initial story, I’m sure that’s changed as sequels went on) and it alone created the robot army that wipes out humanity.

But no, they’re hard to build, so it will be sure to never happen. Thaaaaaat’s Mookie!

Trait: they’re not Asari.

:geno:

Trait: art bugs

There has never been a slacker in the history of their race, ever.

I… Uh… LIKE this one! It doesn’t call out a specific trait of the race (aside from a culture emphasizing wisdom and experience, but that’s pretty common on Earth too). And the conceit that they limit their young from leaving the planet leaves room for interesting conflicts and points of view. It allows members of the race to be all kinds of people, not just have one trait. Good job, Mookie!

loving DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 24, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's amazing to me that Mookie sold this setting as a superhero setting and claimed that superhero market saturation was why people weren't into it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Chapter 2.3

Oh, by the way, Empathy Octopus has a crush on this one other octopus guy from the last chapter, who was taken hostage and shot by Black Hole Bill. We’ve seen barely anything of this character and he leaves immediately, but they KEEP going back to it as some HUGE deal for Empathy Octopus over and over again. Like she’s totally broken by this spurned relationship that we saw literally nothing of. It’s quite odd.

… What?

Love when my friends make my personal tragedies all about them, especially when they pretend to empathize to set themselves up for lame jokes. Once you can look at it in a digestible format Star Power has a lot of what made Dominic Deegan so weird.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that moment was super loving weird. If someone did that in real life we'd all stare at him confused, maybe awkwardly chuckle. In Mookie's world, muscle lizard is comedian prime.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Chapter 2.4

Star Power’s buddies are all on the ship accompanying her on the mission to repower her, uh, powers, and they just learned about Black Hole Bill and the lordsuper dragonnovas’ attack on, uh, a bar.

Yes. A very small joke.

Danica’s only a week in and there’s no way she can gain enough power in time to help out. But if they don’t help it could mean casualties in the SINGLE DIGITS!

What “war” exactly? Again, what is he trying to accomplish other than pointless guerilla action?

His better idea is to use her (and the 3 void angels) as bait for galactic defense, who send:

Three guys. Well, it’s something, anyway…

Kill count: 9

Oh. They’re all alive.

Kill count: 9 2

How could you possibly know they don’t have, like, a battleship that happens to be nearby. THIS IS SUCH A BAD PLAN.

But they have a ship now… Which I guess they didn’t before? Again, these guys MAKE THE BEST WEAPONS IN THE GALAXY!

The science ship goes to assist, while Danica stays to continue to recharge.

I actually kinda like this – Danica calls Mitch on his bullshit and forces him to reveal that there is an alternate way to charge her powers – by using a solar flare. Which she’s especially knowledgeable about, being an astronomer.

I hate all the dialogue on this page. It is wretched.

Anyway she does that and it works. Moving on…

Blue lady goes all Garrus and takes down a ton of ultradragon megalords using her sniper rifle. Which of COURSE is set on stun, give me a break…

So… Are they SUPPOSED to be this dumb… Or…?

They start rescuing the four hostages, but oh no! Angry Bald Jock has a tantrum, because he wants to have a shot at Star Power… wait, but he doesn’t even know Star Power is coming yet. Why did he do this exactly?

Uh… What? This guy makes no loving sense. I know the whole point of this is to get them to their ships rather than in the hands of galactic defense, but they’re still being fired upon by the gang right this second! Where exactly is he going to go?

Anyway their ship is going down! Wait, did he ACTUALLY call them “nerds?”

This is such a weird bit of dialogue. It’s obviously here because that shooting star is Danica, but it’s so awkwardly forced in.

So yeah, it’s her, she swoops in and saves the ship.

Oh no! She was shot by one of the dragonmancers' superpowered weapons! She’s dead for sure.

Nah she’s totally fine, just in time for the void angels to shoot her as they escape. And we already know that doesn’t do poo poo to her.

The science ship crashes and the team decides to jump out and make their way to the galactic security forces’ ship. It’s all very exciting.

IS that your tagline? Because I haven’t seen you get a single job done.

Danica gets a boost of power and is still ok, because it seems another sentinel is alive! Huh, actual plot progression, wow!

And that’s the issue. No alien bios this time.

Kill count: 2

Jeez, guys, not doing too well in that war of yours. Both of those kills were Black Hole Bill before this whole thing even started. So far all you’ve done is shoot up a bar. Well, I’m sure they’ll make up for it in the next issue!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 24, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Trait: they’re not Asari.

:geno:

The Boring, who are inexplicably proud of being from the unremarkable Planet Hetero

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I didn't expect Star Power to be good, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The better art really throws the bad writing into stark relief.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One thing I just don't get about the supernova dragonlords is if they're supposed to be a credible threat or not. The way they talk suggests some prior history of being a feared warlike group, and their (supposed) weapon-making skill suggests some competence, but their goofy appearance (and names - loving Roarboar?) and total lack of actual results seems to suggest they're supposed to be played for laughs. But all of the members are playing it 100% straight and all the good guys are taking them VERY seriously. So I really don't know what Mookie intended. Either way, he failed.

If they WERE supposed to be a parody of this kind of supervillain group, I'm reminded of a much better example - the Devoes from Scott McCloud's Zot!.

There were a group of doofy morons who had somehow gotten a hold of de-evolution guns (how? Doesn't matter - it's fun) that turned everyone they shot into monkeys. Their stated goals were to de-evolve everyone in the world and send humanity back to a time before technology. It's an absurd goal on its face, done in a stupid way that is obviously going to fail... And that was the POINT.

The dragonlords are doing a similar thing - a stupid, pointless "war" where they get creamed on the very first battle - which is shooting up some random bar (on accident!). But, again, is it supposed to be a joke? They aren't funny at all, so I don't THINK so. But I can't be sure.

Here, Scott McCloud's process behind creating the villains in his comic (sorry about the quality, this is scanned from my copy):

In conclusion, I really just wanted to talk about Zot!. Pick up the collection if you're interested, it's a really fun, light hearted superhero comic that isn't afraid to tackle some really tough themes (especially in the second half, where it kind of stops being a superhero comic and becomes something very different and very amazing). In a lot of ways it's a good example of what Star Power is trying to do but done well.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 4, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Lmao ok this comic just oozes Mookie, I actually kind of love it for how much there is to it. An astronomer who's a bully? BUT NERD CAN'T BULLY??? Hahahaha, c'mon man. Then you've everyone freaking out cause a science ship is shooting at them but how could nerds have gun? It's all he knows and all he's ever written. Amazing.

Edit:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One thing I just don't get about the supernova dragonlords is if they're supposed to be a credible threat or not. The way they talk suggests some prior history of being a feared warlike group, and their (supposed) weapon-making skill suggests some competence, but their goofy appearance (and names - loving Roarboar?) and total lack of actual results seems to suggest they're supposed to be played for laughs. But all of the members are playing it 100% straight and all the good guys are taking them VERY seriously. So I really don't know what Mookie intended. Either way, he failed.

I think it's an ego thing. He writes what he hates into the villains (dumb jocks who always bully nerds) and god he just can't stand to see them get one over on the heroes. So they've gotta be dumb, incompetent, always one-upped and never winning for too long. This kills the narrative.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 4, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

thus, by a continual shifting of rhetorical focus, the jocks are

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheHan posted:

I think it's an ego thing. He writes what he hates into the villains (dumb jocks who always bully nerds) and god he just can't stand to see them get one over on the heroes. So they've gotta be dumb, incompetent, always one-upped and never winning for too long. This kills the narrative.

He writes like old SatAM cartoons where the villains must be defeated and the status quo restored before the 22 minute mark. Next villain scene, put this on the background and see how well it fits.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
How long do you think it took him to write the bios for these alien races

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheHan posted:

Lmao ok this comic just oozes Mookie, I actually kind of love it for how much there is to it. An astronomer who's a bully? BUT NERD CAN'T BULLY??? Hahahaha, c'mon man. Then you've everyone freaking out cause a science ship is shooting at them but how could nerds have gun? It's all he knows and all he's ever written. Amazing.

Edit:

Yeah. The, ugh, Supernova Dragon Lords, are jocks, they're people who insult our protagonists by calling them nerds. By virtue of being jocks, they are strong, and respected. But because this is a technology-dominated future they are doomed to fail. Because they are strong jocks, that has to translate into something, in this case the supposedly very powerful guns that they can make. But the only reason they can make those guns is for characterisation, there's no logic or rationale behind it. The implication that they have access to some sort of advanced engineering does not exist, even though it should.

Now in the abstract that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's perfectly fine for stories to lack logical consistency in favour of storytelling and thematic consistency; I even prefer it when they do. But when your story is the power fantasy of a reclusive teenager it's a bad story, and you're only going to be drawing attention to that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i love how the new leader of the :airquote: Supernova Dragon Lords :airquote: has a goofy name... that isn't dragon themed.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's amazing how incredibly low stakes it all is for a story about a green-latern stand in

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alright dudes, dudettes, and nonconfirmists, let’s do this.

Chapter 2.5

… What? Yes it is. You had a jammer on your ship so long no one knew what it looked like. You destroyed your ship to get galactic defense off your trail. It is literally your style.

HOW. It’s failed utterly. You’re damaged ONE BAR.

Yet somehow BHB is slightly less of a dumbass than Roarboar.

Oh good, Star Power’s up, just in time to forget to take away his gun. Again.

i can’t with this dialogue i just can’t

What did I just say? I swear I didn’t read ahead before guessing this would happen.

Also this is that badass shotgun again. So… Why exactly would it be able to kill her? She blocked it like nothing.

oh THANK loving GOD

By the way Star Power could have shot the gun out of his hand easily, she bows up a ton of ships with her beams with no effort in just a few pages. But she’s a moron, so.

Are you serious? Purple lady does something legitimately cool, and immediately is tut-tutted because her gun wasn’t on stun? You know who elses’ guns aren’t on stun? The loving murderers you are fighting right now

Again, like, do you not have ANY sort of restraining powers? Or any sense of creativity? At every moment you could have neutralized him you chose not to. You’re INSANELY more powerful than him, but it’s like you WANT him to get away and find another gun.

Oh hey no way those guys are surviving that fall, I guess she IS ok with killing now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0&t=48s

NEVERMIND

Yep what did I fuckin’ say

By the way that’s the slowest grenade launcher ever, if Empathy Octopus had time to warn everyone AFTER it fired.

Then DO IT INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT IT

Or don’t because at that range you’ll blow yourself up, genius

Empathy Octopus tells Purple Lady to calm down, because her anger is making her miss all her shots. After which, she SWITCHES BACK TO STUN MODE. Again… WHY? They are shooting you! You can shoot them too!

There’s just this weird notion in this comic that no good guy should kill anyone ever, not just Danica, but ALL of them. Think about the last chapter – the void angels were wiped out by blue lady’s robots, so the galactic defense never had to fight and kill them, and then they fought the robots, which don’t count as kills. And then both times they could have killed bad guys who were actively threatening people with weapons – Black Hole Bill and Blue Lady – they just… Didn’t. Why is Mookie so afraid to have ANY good guy kill a person?

Also apparently Empathy Octopus is good with 2 guns. Sure, why not. Moving on…

Danica has been fighting Roarboar this while time. It’s boring because she’s completely invulnerable and she eventually wins.

Bill fires a… Hey, wait a minute.

These are 40mm grenade rounds.

This is the grenade warhead, i.e. the part that is fired and explodes.

This is the shell that is left behind in the gun.

Do your firearms research before you draw them people.

Who?

Good guys win! (No, Purple Lady didn’t kill Bill, although that would have been a cool character moment, but GOOD GUYS MUST NEVER KILL)

That’s right! Black Hole Bill is now a CHILD MURDERER! Because just having been a feared bounty hunter isn’t enough, we need to make sure he’s extra-unredeemable! Jocks never prosper.

Who?

Oh. OH YEAH! The guy that Bill killed. Whatshisname. Oh! That reminds me. Let’s check the kill counter to see how the bad guys did.

Kill count: 2

Are you loving serious

… Wait, what is he talking about here? What “priceless relic”? Am I missing something? This is a genuine question, not a goof – I have no idea what he’s referring to.

Also valuing human life over some relic isn’t really that uncommon. I think that’s what most people would do. What a weird thing to say, that you’d “never expect” that.

So… You just get to decide that, huh? It doesn’t go to a vote, you don’t ask other leaders, etc? I don’t think this government guy even has been given a name, let alone what his position is.

Friendlyeyes McRedemption admonishes Angry Bald Jock rightly for being a complete moron.

What? I thought it was because of the solar flare…

This chapter ends with a series of pages detailing the history of some mysterious alien race, likely one that has something to do with the origins of the Star Powered Sentinels. It’s pretty boring, but it’s both written and illustrated by Mookie, so I’ve included it here for completeness:

I know others have said the opposite, but to me, Mookie's art makes his writing so much worse. Pairing it with decent art kind of papers over the bad writing unless you analyze it more deeply.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 24, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I still can't get over the name Supernova Dragon Lords. It's what an edgelord teen wannabe writer would name their villains.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh by the way I just want to point out this arc of 5 issues was called "Star Power and the Search for Black Hole Bill". That "search" consisted of getting lucky because he decided to shoot up a bar and they were the only ones who heard the distress call.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Black Hole Bill makes me think of Big Bill Hell's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also valuing human life over some relic isn’t really that uncommon. I think that’s what most people would do. What a weird thing to say, that you’d “never expect” that.

He's talking to the antisocial nerd who names inanimate objects and identifies with them more strongly than her coworkers. That's exactly what he should expect.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I “like” that Mookie has bucked the trend of cops being comically ineffectual in superhero stories, cause he’s inadvertently made Star Power & Friends look authoritarian as hell. It’s Mookie, so he can’t help but have his villains act in the most cartoonishly evil way possible at all times, but the big climactic battle consisted of the Galatic Federation just tearing these guys apart like a Christmas ham. Countless battleships descending on a ragtag group with cobbled together weapons doesn’t typically invoke the image of “Yay the good guys are here!”

And cool end for Black Hole Bill there. They won’t kill you (that’d be evil), but they will use their government connections to ensure you spend the rest of your life suffering in the most inhumane space prison they can find. The way he just transparently uses the death of this AI—A living thing that was afraid to die and apparently just a child—to exact his personal vengeance makes it extra special.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 4, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dabir posted:

thus, by a continual shifting of rhetorical focus, the jocks are

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

See here, thanks to the lore pages about racial slurs, we know that what she calls "Black Hole Bill" here isn't just some insult for a trigger-happy maniac, it's actually some racist insult against humans.

Don't worry, though, she's not racist. One of her best friends is a human.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cat Mattress posted:

See here, thanks to the lore pages about racial slurs, we know that what she calls "Black Hole Bill" here isn't just some insult for a trigger-happy maniac, it's actually some racist insult against humans.

Yeah and our heroine uses “jerks” which again is a racial slur now

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
No, no, no, you see, using a racist slur while very angry or against a specific member of an out-group doesn't betray the fact you harbor internalized racist sentiments and are just letting them slip out in the heat of the moment. It just shows how angry you are. Because racist slurs are a thing that occur in a vacuum and racism is a problem for individuals and isn't something systemic, insidious, and social.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

You're doing it. You magnificient bastard Mookie. More walking and yes just moving on from the Ink witch entirely.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This chapter is titled Natural Necromancy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh poo poo, I totally missed that. Yeah she totally used a racial slur, that's hosed up, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything