Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

This is probably a silly question: could undervolting a laptop's cpu help with how hot it gets during normal use? Just to make it a bit more comfortable for actual lap use. (or are these things already running at minimum safe voltage?)

If you can get an air gap - a drink coaster, an old hardback book, spiral notebook etc between your lap and the computer that will have the greatest effect. You'll still have heat transfer through say, the coaster, but if you balance the drink coaster-laptop on one leg, there is only 2-3 square inches of heat transfer, the rest of the heat will dissipate into the air. Running a fan like a $99 vornado 660* (https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-CR1-0121-06-Large-Whole-Circulator/dp/B0025QKUE8/) moves the air around in the room pretty substantially and will further improve heat dissipation through the air, rather than into your leg

Undervolt might have some impact, maye 10%, you could also try reducing the clock multiplier so it's consuming less electricity overall, which is going to have a significant impact on performance. Laptops usually have some tweakable amount of voltage, if it's an option in your bios. You'll have to play with it to find an acceptable setting, the quality/voltage tolerance of each CPU is different

improving air flow in the room, and adding 1/4" insulation between your lap and the computer is going to yield the best results

*don't buy a cheaper vornado model, the 660 is the only model worth getting as they're near-silent even at medium, especially compared to traditional fans. There's a reason why they're totally sold out in the middle of summer, we own one for every room in the house including the living room, they're uh-maz-ing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks for the thorough response.

It doesn't help that the laptop vents downwards.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rinkles posted:

This is probably a silly question: could undervolting a laptop's cpu help with how hot it gets during normal use? Just to make it a bit more comfortable for actual lap use. (or are these things already running at minimum safe voltage?)

Undervolting is helpful and free, plus requires no changes to how you use the laptop once you get it configured. Downsides are that the gain you get out of it varies depending on the chip itself, and if it's an Intel they've been rolling out patches that disable stuff for security reasons. Your mileage will vary.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Thanks for the thorough response.

It doesn't help that the laptop vents downwards.

You could get one of those cooling mats. Separates it from your actual lap and even if you don’t turn the fans on, improves airflow. Especially if you get one of the ones with the pop-up bits.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I need to get a laptop for my mother. She just needs to check email and her work schedule, facebook, and watch Netflix. Something thin, light, and cheap, and not as lovely as a HP Stream. A Chromebook might work? But I don't know about that.

Any recommendations?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I need to get a laptop for my mother. She just needs to check email and her work schedule, facebook, and watch Netflix. Something thin, light, and cheap, and not as lovely as a HP Stream. A Chromebook might work? But I don't know about that.

Any recommendations?

Yeah a Chromebook is fine if the all person carries about is web browsing, video streaming and other light use activities

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-chromebooks

https://www.theverge.com/21296102/best-chromebooks

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/best-chromebooks-5

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What’s your budget?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

FuturePastNow posted:

Any recommendations?

Def get her a Chromebook. I got my father-in-law one a few years ago and he still loves it. It will be just as fast years from now too since you can’t really load software onto one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CHROMEBOOK MEGATHREAD

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FCKGW posted:

What’s your budget?

$300-400

Edit: looks like it's time to research Chromebooks, thanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some charging info the G14 for people wondering about portability in everyday use, USB-C PD numbers and fast charge numbers.
-From BatteryBar program for a low state of charge (<10%) the max power input for charging is around 60W even with
the larger 180W power brick connected
-Laptop can go from sub 10% to 45% / 50% range in half-hour, fast charging feature over USB-C PD verified
-USB-C PD up to 65W per the official Asus specs, note due the max charge power rate being around ~60W you can get the same
performance with USB-C as using the larger 180W power brick
-At around 1 hour increases the battery recharge up to 70/80% range which I have set as the max battery charge through the MyAsus app for battery life increase

Anandtech had a nifty graph as part of their G14 laptop review:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I bought a G14 to replace both my 10 year old desktop and 7 year old MacBook Air. It’s sort of unbelievable to me that something like this even exists, but here’s hoping it lasts at least five years!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

I bought a G14 to replace both my 10 year old desktop and 7 year old MacBook Air. It’s sort of unbelievable to me that something like this even exists, but here’s hoping it lasts at least five years!

I did basically this today as well, except the laptop it's replacing is only a couple years old. I'm just realizing that I wanted to be able to game on the laptop more than I initially thought when I bought that one. Also that high dpi screens in Windows are more trouble than they're worth, imo. I'll part out my tower and keep the 24" monitor to plug into for "desktop" gaming.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I admit that I have a hard time keeping up with this thread, so I admit I may have missed this rant already, it it occurred.

I finally finished setting up my new XPS 9300 for work — arrived a few weeks ago, just didn't have time to start setting it up. In that time, several others we had ordered all had varying reasons to get RMA'd, so my hopes weren't super high. I'm coming from the 9360, which I think was the 2018-vintage Kaby Lake XPS which has been more or less bulletproof for me once I figured out anemic USB-C chargers (including Dell's own hybrid power bank) were kneecapping it.

This is all leading up to the fact that this XPS was also the first time I touched Win10 2004 and what the everloving gently caress did they do by forcing Modern Standby down our throats? It's almost habitual for me to go flip 'CsEnabled' in the registry to '0' after every Windows update and that's now gone for the foreseeable future. I want my laptop to sleep when I push the power button, and never for any other reason, and by sleep, I want ACPI S3 "Suspend to RAM" sleep. Not "hey, you might take a baking / potentially damaged laptop out of your backpack when you thought it was sleeping before your flight!".

Have the other makers all started doing this as well? I can't tell if Microsoft pulled this out as part of the update, and woe be to devices with incorrect ACPI tables — some basic checking on other forums makes it seem like laughably enough, they can't even get this working smoothly on their own loving devices (Surface).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you figure out how to get around this let me know. I mostly use my "Linux" Thinkpad but occasionally I'll bust out my "windows" XPS 15 which is one year newer than yours but has the same "feature"

My solution has been to just shut down the laptop when I'm not using it, and never buy another Dell again, which doesn't help your work laptop situation, but that's where I'm at

The sleep issue is loving maddening, no idea how many times it's drained down to zero on "functional sleep" and then just satv there fully discharged for weeks on end doing untold damage to the battery. gently caress you, Dell.

:fuckoff: Dell

Other than that soul destroying problem, they're pretty good laptops

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

If you figure out how to get around this let me know. I mostly use my "Linux" Thinkpad but occasionally I'll bust out my "windows" XPS 15 which is one year newer than yours but has the same "feature"

My solution has been to just shut down the laptop when I'm not using it, and never buy another Dell again, which doesn't help your work laptop situation, but that's where I'm at

The sleep issue is loving maddening, no idea how many times it's drained down to zero on "functional sleep" and then just satv there fully discharged for weeks on end doing untold damage to the battery. gently caress you, Dell.

:fuckoff: Dell

Other than that soul destroying problem, they're pretty good laptops

It's loving mind-boggling to me dude. I need to double-check my 9360's supported states to see if that 'feature' has taken hold, or if it's blessedly too old for it. Shame because the 9300 is snappy and has a gorgeous screen (granted some of that is the brand-new Windows install, but man it is nice).

Best I've found so far was from Reddit where the solution is basically switching to a 3rd party boot manager to run an ACPI table patcher on every single boot and likely runs a non-zero chance of loving up Bitlocker / Windows boot, all to work around this loving braindead feature.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

movax posted:

I admit that I have a hard time keeping up with this thread, so I admit I may have missed this rant already, it it occurred.

I finally finished setting up my new XPS 9300 for work — arrived a few weeks ago, just didn't have time to start setting it up. In that time, several others we had ordered all had varying reasons to get RMA'd, so my hopes weren't super high. I'm coming from the 9360, which I think was the 2018-vintage Kaby Lake XPS which has been more or less bulletproof for me once I figured out anemic USB-C chargers (including Dell's own hybrid power bank) were kneecapping it.

This is all leading up to the fact that this XPS was also the first time I touched Win10 2004 and what the everloving gently caress did they do by forcing Modern Standby down our throats? It's almost habitual for me to go flip 'CsEnabled' in the registry to '0' after every Windows update and that's now gone for the foreseeable future. I want my laptop to sleep when I push the power button, and never for any other reason, and by sleep, I want ACPI S3 "Suspend to RAM" sleep. Not "hey, you might take a baking / potentially damaged laptop out of your backpack when you thought it was sleeping before your flight!".

Have the other makers all started doing this as well? I can't tell if Microsoft pulled this out as part of the update, and woe be to devices with incorrect ACPI tables — some basic checking on other forums makes it seem like laughably enough, they can't even get this working smoothly on their own loving devices (Surface).

Huh. So is this why my laptop my laptop occasionally wakes in the middle of the night and spins up the fans?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How would I check if my laptop is affected?

e:am i safe?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh. So is this why my laptop my laptop occasionally wakes in the middle of the night and spins up the fans?

If you go to Event Viewer, you can look at what your wakeup source was (should be a "Kernel — Power" event). At one point, I had a PowerShell script running on every boot on my XPS to go purge Task Scheduler of some dumb poo poo that would wake up the laptop. I truly cannot understand how even the smallest amount of user testing would not show how unacceptable it is to "sleep" your laptop and then find it significantly discharged a "short" time period later. It's probably cell phones and tablets trying to make poo poo like that the norm now.

You'd think with all of the buried tiny embedded controllers there would at least be a way to not run the CPU to do this.

Rinkles posted:

How would I check if my laptop is affected?

e:am i safe?

I think that's what you want to see, yeah.

e: since this is dependent on network connectivity, I wonder if there's some stupid hack to be done where upon triggering 'sleep', it airplane modes / disables your NIC so the device can't wake up to do anything.

movax fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 3, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

etalian posted:

Some charging info the G14 for people wondering about portability in everyday use, USB-C PD numbers and fast charge numbers.
-From BatteryBar program for a low state of charge (<10%) the max power input for charging is around 60W even with
the larger 180W power brick connected
-Laptop can go from sub 10% to 45% / 50% range in half-hour, fast charging feature over USB-C PD verified
-USB-C PD up to 65W per the official Asus specs, note due the max charge power rate being around ~60W you can get the same
performance with USB-C as using the larger 180W power brick
-At around 1 hour increases the battery recharge up to 70/80% range which I have set as the max battery charge through the MyAsus app for battery life increase

Anandtech had a nifty graph as part of their G14 laptop review:

That's interesting, so then it wouldn't matter whether someone is gaming or doing something lighter, you could always use a good USB-C charger and not worry about the power brick? It seems odd though because the Ryzen 9 is a 35w part and the 2060 is a 65w part, so even ignoring other demands, that's 90w that, on a 60w max input, you would be hitting the battery to make up the difference, and eventually would have to stop gaming to allow it to recharge or otherwise take a performance hit.

I still haven't taken mine back because I have just under another week and the fan noise when idling isn't bothering me as much now. I have to decide by Friday though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
now printing...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SourKraut posted:

That's interesting, so then it wouldn't matter whether someone is gaming or doing something lighter, you could always use a good USB-C charger and not worry about the power brick?

It seems odd though because the Ryzen 9 is a 35w part and the 2060 is a 65w part, so even ignoring other demands, that's 90w that, on a 60w max input, you would be hitting the battery to make up the difference, and eventually would have to stop gaming to allow it to recharge or otherwise take a performance hit.

Yes for lighter tasks a 65W USB-C PD wall charger should be more than adequate but for any gaming applications you want to use 180W power brick.

I know for most gaming laptops they reduce max gaming performance when not plugged in to the full size power brick to avoid slamming the battery too hard with high current discharge rates.

The below benchmark found the G14 peak power use to be around ~108W, while video encoding in blender had a steady state power of 55W due to CPU throttling later on in the test.

I suppose the main thing I learned from playtime with battery Bar was 65W+ charging adapters are ideal if you want similar fast charge experience to plugging in to the larger power brick.

Some interesting power measurement numbers here for different situations:
https://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/laptop/141019-asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-featuring-amd-ryzen-9-4900hs/?page=11

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 3, 2020

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
A friend is looking for a 2-in-1 laptop for his kids for school stuff. Not generally an HP fan but came across the HP x360 for $550. Will that last them a few years or should I be looking at something else?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SourKraut posted:

That's interesting, so then it wouldn't matter whether someone is gaming or doing something lighter, you could always use a good USB-C charger and not worry about the power brick? It seems odd though because the Ryzen 9 is a 35w part and the 2060 is a 65w part, so even ignoring other demands, that's 90w that, on a 60w max input, you would be hitting the battery to make up the difference, and eventually would have to stop gaming to allow it to recharge or otherwise take a performance hit.

I still haven't taken mine back because I have just under another week and the fan noise when idling isn't bothering me as much now. I have to decide by Friday though.

I think that graph was just talking about battery charging. I would expect the system to still limit performance to whatever the limits they have when the system runs on battery when not plugged into the AC adapter.

On another note, I dunno if the newer chipsets are just better for it or what, but my XPS13 7390 has had zero issues with modern standby. I haven't had to touch the default configuration and I've never found it to use an excessive amount of battery or turn the fans on while it's been sleeping.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For another G14 "team player of the month" tip to try for power draw issues.

I had some weird ~25W battery draw while idle this morning behavior after doing some windows updates in Software Center.

Looks like windows changed how the dGPU/iGPU settings work and I had to point the power control to use the Nvidia app settings.

I'm guessing whenever you see big power draw numbers showing up while idle it means you have the dGPU 2060 not being turned off properly.

Note you are good with all the G14 power tweaks if you are seeing around ~6 to 7.5W while in a idle state like below.

Windows 10 in general seems to be really horrible in power management compared to Mac / MacOs and requires some software tweaking to optimize performance like battery life.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 3, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

etalian posted:

Yes for lighter tasks a 65W USB-C PD wall charger should be more than adequate but for any gaming applications you want to use 180W power brick.

I know for most gaming laptops they reduce max gaming performance when not plugged in to the full size power brick to avoid slamming the battery too hard with high current discharge rates.

The below benchmark found the G14 peak power use to be around ~108W, while video encoding in blender had a steady state power of 55W due to CPU throttling later on in the test.

I suppose the main thing I learned from playtime with battery Bar was 65W+ charging adapters are ideal if you want similar fast charge experience to plugging in to the larger power brick.

Some interesting power measurement numbers here for different situations:
https://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/laptop/141019-asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-featuring-amd-ryzen-9-4900hs/?page=11

bull3964 posted:

I think that graph was just talking about battery charging. I would expect the system to still limit performance to whatever the limits they have when the system runs on battery when not plugged into the AC adapter.

On another note, I dunno if the newer chipsets are just better for it or what, but my XPS13 7390 has had zero issues with modern standby. I haven't had to touch the default configuration and I've never found it to use an excessive amount of battery or turn the fans on while it's been sleeping.

Thanks! I was pretty tired last night and completely misinterpreted it.

Also, I'll second that my XPS 13 7390 hasn't had any issues with modern standby, but I think part of that is due to it having the Project Athena certification? I really do think that the 2-in-1 7390 (and maybe the standard 7390 now?) are almost perfect from a build quality/performance standby for what the expectations for them are.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I drive a BBW posted:

A friend is looking for a 2-in-1 laptop for his kids for school stuff. Not generally an HP fan but came across the HP x360 for $550. Will that last them a few years or should I be looking at something else?

I believe the X360 is one of their better-regarded series but I don't know if it has longevity and durability. That said, here's an X360 for $500 - you get a 256GB SSD instead of 512, but you get 16GB of RAM instead of 8: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/458233?c_id=5038&u_id=67424549&d=080320

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Thanks! I was pretty tired last night and completely misinterpreted it.

Also, I'll second that my XPS 13 7390 hasn't had any issues with modern standby, but I think part of that is due to it having the Project Athena certification? I really do think that the 2-in-1 7390 (and maybe the standard 7390 now?) are almost perfect from a build quality/performance standby for what the expectations for them are.

Who knows maybe it's getting better over time for Windows?

Apple pretty much has big advantage in the power saving area due to having less hardware variation and being able to build the software / firmware around the hardware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Closed lid use bad for the screen/otherwise? This 2 in 1 does like to heat up.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm good now!

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 4, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there any reason to avoid the Falcon Northwest DRXs besides the price? It looks like it’s exactly what I’ve been looking all over for- basically a desktop computer with desktop parts, that has an integrated screen/speakers. I don’t care about battery life since I would mostly just be leaving it plugged in in a hotel room or office. I’ve been trying to find reviews and benchmarks and I’m not finding any for the current ones, just 07-13 ones.

E:Hell, even the price isn’t that insane when I think about it, the one I configured comes out to the price of my laptop and desktop put together- yes, it’s crazy that one computer costs that much, but it would theoretically fill the role of both and be a significantly better laptop than the one I have. poo poo. Wish I knew about that sooner.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 4, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Falcon laptops are just rebranded ones from Sager or Clevo. You might be able to find the same hardware for cheaper.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there any reason to avoid the Falcon Northwest DRXs besides the price? It looks like it’s exactly what I’ve been looking all over for- basically a desktop computer with desktop parts, that has an integrated screen/speakers. I don’t care about battery life since I would mostly just be leaving it plugged in in a hotel room or office. I’ve been trying to find reviews and benchmarks and I’m not finding any for the current ones, just 07-13 ones.

E:Hell, even the price isn’t that insane when I think about it, the one I configured comes out to the price of my laptop and desktop put together- yes, it’s crazy that one computer costs that much, but it would theoretically fill the role of both and be a significantly better laptop than the one I have. poo poo. Wish I knew about that sooner.

What is your budget? What games do you play? How often do you travel (assuming that becomes a thing again)?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

space marine todd posted:

What is your budget? What games do you play? How often do you travel (assuming that becomes a thing again)?

Big on new releases and AAA stuff, budget is... I’m not going to spend like 8k on a computer or buy something like an Alienware, but basically as long as a high price tag has a reason to exist I’m good with it. The travel part is odd, since my schedule and jobs are odd. When I’m not actively working, I volunteer and do two 24 hour shifts a week that I pack my laptop for because there’s significant downtime. When I’m doing safety work it’s kind of a crapshoot but goes between a week and a few months. When it’s for my business it’s for two days-a week. A desktop replacement laptop is ideal since when I’m traveling for less than a week doing all the packing and setup with my desktop is a hassle but I really prefer the extra oomph over laptop parts.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Big on new releases and AAA stuff, budget is... I’m not going to spend like 8k on a computer or buy something like an Alienware, but basically as long as a high price tag has a reason to exist I’m good with it. The travel part is odd, since my schedule and jobs are odd. When I’m not actively working, I volunteer and do two 24 hour shifts a week that I pack my laptop for because there’s significant downtime. When I’m doing safety work it’s kind of a crapshoot but goes between a week and a few months. When it’s for my business it’s for two days-a week. A desktop replacement laptop is ideal since when I’m traveling for less than a week doing all the packing and setup with my desktop is a hassle but I really prefer the extra oomph over laptop parts.

You need to reconsider alienware, they can be had on sale for reasonable prices and the area51 will be way better than that falcon northwest abortion. If i were you id get something like this- https://www.ebay.com/itm/174349960846 but area51 might suit you better if you really want to deal with one of the megalaptops

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264760811980

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 4, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Closed lid use bad for the screen/otherwise? This 2 in 1 does like to heat up.

In theory bad, but in 20+ years I've never seen a screen impacted by local laptop heat, so probably ok. You might be the first one though!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

You need to reconsider alienware, they can be had on sale for reasonable prices and the area51 will be way better than that falcon northwest abortion. If i were you id get something like this- https://www.ebay.com/itm/174349960846 but area51 might suit you better if you really want to deal with one of the megalaptops

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264760811980

Is that an actual full blown 2070S desktop part in there? I can forgive the laptop CPU if the GPU is full-power.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Is that an actual full blown 2070S desktop part in there? I can forgive the laptop CPU if the GPU is full-power.

Not in the m17, but the area51 is full desktop parts afaik

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

The Area-51M CPU is desktop and the GPU is a little slower than desktop 20x0S and a little faster than mobile 20x0S and way faster than 20x0S Max Q.

I'd recommend it if you are dead set on a desktop replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

Not in the m17, but the area51 is full desktop parts afaik

Ah, yep, clicked the link for the m17 twice accidentally, thanks for the heads up on that. I’m gonna wait for the refresh but when there’s a 3000 series one looks like I’ll get that.

space marine todd posted:

The Area-51M CPU is desktop and the GPU is a little slower than desktop 20x0S and a little faster than mobile 20x0S and way faster than 20x0S Max Q.

I'd recommend it if you are dead set on a desktop replacement.

Definitely dead set on one, I have the kind of lifestyle where a desktop replacement actually makes sense.