Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I was very surprised at the end of Season 2 when they didn't end up with the crew jumping forward a thousand years but Discovery itself being set to just hide until they arrived. It seemed like what they'd been leading towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They never said definitively when “Calypso” was set, only that it had been 1,000 years since Discovery had been abandoned. It could take place 1,000 years after this upcoming season.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

how did no one in the next 800 years think to power ships via mushrooms and torturing tardigrades again

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ramadu posted:

how did no one in the next 800 years think to power ships via mushrooms and torturing tardigrades again

Because the 3 guys who killed a high ranking CI agent from S31 said its bad,

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They never said definitively when “Calypso” was set, only that it had been 1,000 years since Discovery had been abandoned. It could take place 1,000 years after this upcoming season.

Maybe they end up abandoning Discovery to serve as a template for the next time the Federation falls or loses its way. Which seems to run on 1000 year cycles.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mllaneza posted:

That is sadly plausible. The new showrunner is very unlikely to consider themselves bound by that piece.

Modern Star Trek Megathread: The new showrunner is very unlikely to consider themselves bound by that piece.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Astroman posted:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: The new showrunner is very unlikely to consider themselves bound by that piece.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If they wanted Patrick Stewart to star as powerless old man in society that had lost hope they could have just booked him on a news show.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

If they wanted Patrick Stewart to star as powerless old man in society that had lost hope they could have just booked him on a news show.

Literally Blunt Talk

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm really glad Patrick Stewart seems to be a good dude IRL

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MikeJF posted:

- Daniels was from ~3064 and seemed to work for a multinational agency enforcing the Temporal Accords. The Federation and Earth are apparently doing fine at this point.
- Enterprise discovered a damaged and broken Federation timepod from the 31st century that was bigger on the inside.
- Timeship Relativity was the 29th Century and worked for a Starfleet/Federation section called the Temporal Integrity Commission.
- The Nah'kul, an anti-accord faction, were from the mid-29th century.
- The Cabal, the anti-accord faction supporting the suliban in the Temporal Cold War, were from the mid-28th century.
- We know the Temporal Accord has been signed by the mid-28th and the Federation had time-archeologists from this era who would use time travel to observe things while following the temporal prime directrive.
- Enterprise-J was the 26th Century. Doesn't seem to have been a timeship.

Discovery is travelling to ~3205.

Consistently read this as "anti-accordian"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/waytoomuchbeer/status/1289605428754575360

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I don't really believe a word of that. Ok, maybe the licensees part, but I seriously doubt anything's canceled.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wasn't the 25% thing confirmed as bullshit?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've been seeing that "but the licensees want the old canon back!" poo poo about Star Trek and Star Wars for a year or two at least; now I can believe that they aren't selling as much merch related to the newer shows/movies for a variety of reasons but the stuff in that post smells too much like a laundry list of things an angry nerd might wish were happening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't the 25% thing confirmed as bullshit?

Yes. That entire post is wish mongering. One of the giveaways is that they use STD; internally at ViacomCBS they use DIS or DSC.

Timby fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 3, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would be surprised if Disco gets a 4th season though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Reads as very fanciful, Strange New Worlds is literally the best sign they have had of bringing together the old Canon and the new style of Trek.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
4chan, 25% different, STD.

All I need is something about SJWs and I got a bingo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There was rumblings a couple of days ago that The Orville had been cancelled too, and the producers had to go ‘no, that’s rubbish’.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
‘This Will Be The End Of Discovery,’ Says Increasingly Angry 4chan Poster For Seventh Time This Year

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't know why people have such a hardon for Trek being cancelled. I don't want it to be cancelled, I want it to be good. I want to finish Picard Season 2 and go "oh yeah, season 1 was rough but they really stepped it up for season 2", or ""Disco was a mess, but that latest season really pulled it together".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seemlar posted:

‘This Will Be The End Of Discovery,’ Says Increasingly Angry 4chan Poster For Seventh Time This Year

My "trustworthy information" post on 4chan has people asking questions already answered by my green text

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't know why people have such a hardon for Trek being cancelled. I don't want it to be cancelled, I want it to be good. I want to finish Picard Season 2 and go "oh yeah, season 1 was rough but they really stepped it up for season 2", or ""Disco was a mess, but that latest season really pulled it together".

Without a change of showrunner it's very hard to see Star Trek becoming good again. Braga and Berman demonstrated pretty exhaustively that bad creative leads will not start producing a good show if given enough time, they just keep producing poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Bloop posted:

My "trustworthy information" post on 4chan has people asking questions already answered by my green text

For more information, please reread this post.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The “literally cancel all Star Trek” sentiment and wishposts like this have been going on since the days of TNG. I don’t get it either.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I was hopeful at the start of season 2 of Discovery when the war was over and it looked liked they were gonna use the spore drive to start exploring the Beta quadrant. :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Without a change of showrunner it's very hard to see Star Trek becoming good again. Braga and Berman demonstrated pretty exhaustively that bad creative leads will not start producing a good show if given enough time, they just keep producing poo poo.

The people currently producing/writing modern Star Trek shows seem to think they can straight up plagiarize Mass Effect of all things like nobody would notice or care, and maybe their business model is such that they know they can get away with it but whether or not that is true, those motherfuckers have no creative integrity and need to lose their jobs. I dislike these shows for many reasons, but that's the one that makes me think this poo poo just needs to end. Like, as long as people who think doing that is ok get to keep calling the shots it's never going to meaningfully improve.

And I think they know that since they can still sell 1200 dollar replicas of new versions of the Enterprise that are on screen for a grand total of 5 minutes in shows pretty much nobody really likes to the handful of whales that are still willing to drop that kind of cash on Star Trek crap.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Creativity doesn’t make big money numbers go up though.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HD DAD posted:

The “literally cancel all Star Trek” sentiment and wishposts like this have been going on since the days of TNG. I don’t get it either.

Everybody always gets disappointed because new Star Trek shows aren't like the Star Trek shows they watched...not "real Star Trek". So when TNG came out, people complained it wasn't like TOS. When DS9 came out, it wasn't like TNG, when Voyager came out, it wasn't like DS9, and so on. Everybody's image of what Star Trek "should be" is based on their first real exposure to it. And I think some of that is just the nostalgia trap.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

To a point, but I think you can make the case that "Star Trek is about an optimistic, interstellar future where humanity has overcome many of its self-destructive impulses and works to cultivate all of its best attributes" and that by that standard it's strayed.

I guess mostly I would say we have no shortage of media that shows humanity at its most base and on the verge of destroying itself, and Star Trek does not need to be that; and I would argue that in light of us arguably making the case for the former being more plausible or "realistic," we need it to get closer to the "Roddenberry spirit*" more than we need it to ape The Road and Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead.

*the utopian one, not the horney one.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think presenting it as a choice between '''optimism''' and grimdark is a reductive false binary. Picard was bad because it presented a much of needlessly unpleasant and nihilistic violence for shlock value and failed to deliver anything interesting or thematically coherent in way of an actual plot, not because it had dark themes. Whereas DS9 dealt in some very heavy subjects at times but used its time to thoughtfully interogate some of the more naively utopian premises of Roddenberry's Star Trek without dismissing their intentions out of hand, like acknowledging an organisation like Starfleet would invariably have something ressembling the CIA for 'special circumstances' but having its characters fight back against it in trying to live up the ideals they're meant to represent.

Like honestly a saccharine 'optimistic' show about very good and clever people having bloodless adventures in space would be just as bad for me as Disco or Picard, I don't care if the show's particularly breezy or grim as long as as it has a good premise and uses it to tell interesting stories.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

multijoe posted:

I think presenting it as a choice between '''optimism''' and grimdark is a reductive false binary. Picard was bad because it presented a much of needlessly unpleasant and nihilistic violence for shlock value and failed to deliver anything interesting or thematically coherent in way of an actual plot, not because it had dark themes. Whereas DS9 dealt in some very heavy subjects at times but used its time to thoughtfully interogate some of the more naively utopian premises of Roddenberry's Star Trek without dismissing their intentions out of hand, like acknowledging an organisation like Starfleet would invariably have something ressembling the CIA for 'special circumstances' but having its characters fight back against it in trying to live up the ideals they're meant to represent.

Like honestly a saccharine 'optimistic' show about very good and clever people having bloodless adventures in space would be just as bad for me as Disco or Picard, I don't care if the show's particularly breezy or grim as long as as it has a good premise and uses it to tell interesting stories.

Well, you can have dark themes, but you don't wallow in them, and ultimately you have to show that the compassionate, humanist approach is the best one.

If the take-away is "sometimes you have to plant a genocidal bomb to install a puppet leader," (Disco S1), maybe it's bad.

If the themes are dark (torture, military brinksmanship) but the take away is "the human spirit is resilient, but even the strongest must acknowledge their trauma" and "it can be difficult to adapt to change in leadership, but mutual respect is the best way to approach it" (Chain of Command Part 1, 2), it can be... good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

multijoe posted:

Yep. Compare contrast Nog losing a leg with that scene.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That post is super bullshit, new movie merch wasn't selling because there was hardly any of it to buy in the first place!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That post is super bullshit, new movie merch wasn't selling because there was hardly any of it to buy in the first place!

They made a bunch of toys and action figures for the first one and I think they shelfwarmed and then there was gently caress all for the following two, it was weird

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was a lot of tie-in stuff that got cancelled

I know that there were four Trek novels written that were supposed to be released not that long after ST2009 came out and they were shelved until I think this year when they just suddenly got the green light to release them. Probably because what happens in them doesn't matter since the JJTrek universe is dead

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tighclops posted:

They made a bunch of toys and action figures for the first one and I think they shelfwarmed and then there was gently caress all for the following two, it was weird

Probably shouldn’t have given that toy license to Playmates again!

They also did a 6” figure line and for some reason gave them all flexible rubber shirt pieces that looked like garbage. I have no idea why they didn’t just let Art Asylum/Diamond Select do it when they’d already been doing good Trek toys for years by that point.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Probably shouldn’t have given that toy license to Playmates again!

They also did a 6” figure line and for some reason gave them all flexible rubber shirt pieces that looked like garbage. I have no idea why they didn’t just let Art Asylum/Diamond Select do it when they’d already been doing good Trek toys for years by that point.

probably because they wanted they toys to actually make it to shelves while the movie was still hot, not delayed for 5 years after releasing some images of unpainted resin prototypes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tighclops posted:

probably because they wanted they toys to actually make it to shelves while the movie was still hot, not delayed for 5 years after releasing some images of unpainted resin prototypes

Yeah but those would have been some pretty prototypes

You just gotta be patient man.