Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They put two million fake leaves on the tree above Bag End. It took 5 people a whole week to do it. The scale of what they did to make these movies blows my tiny mind. I wonder if there will ever be another movie at the same level of grandeur made with the same amount of love that these ones were.
They might not be my favorite movies ever made but I think they might objectively be the best movies ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZobbJ-HH59c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
this is an hour long video, where's the bit about the leaves

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
At about an hour into the third video for the first movie.

E: That was a mistake I meant the 4th video.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
yea just make ur three next lefts after the first right but before the second left cant miss it

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
More like Lord of the Drinks, because its too long and I say "ugh, I need a drink".

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The scale of what they did to make these movies blows my tiny mind. I wonder if there will ever be another movie at the same level of grandeur made with the same amount of love that these ones were.
i was actually just talking to someone about the LOTR movies last night. it's weird because I actually don't think they're very entertaining or "great" movies, and they did fall out of the zeitgeist pretty quick. Part of that is the source material is just something that really has a lot of poo poo that doesnt translate to visual entertainment well (i always remember everyone saying nobody can ever make an LOTR movie up until PJ did it). Outside of the novelty and impressiveness to the first time you watch it in theaters, LOTR movies are really only good to put on when you've got the flu/cold and bed-ridden, or on an airplane, but otherwise.

despite the actual low re-watch entertainment value outside of being flu/ecoli bed-ridden/airplane, you do have to give it to them that they did a whole loving lot of great practicals and really cool cinematographic on-site filming and I think PJ had a lot of passion in doing it and that part shows through pretty well. even though some of the CGI is kinda poo poo (like when gondor is falling apart). so on a technical level it's still entertaining

a good contrast is those god-awful Hobbit trilogy movies where its all green-screened +CGI poo poo, everyone looks bored and miserable, and there was no passion in making it. not to mention it was super padded out to make money and was just a big janky snoozefest.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh good more lotr

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

At about an hour into the third video for the first movie.

E: That was a mistake I meant the 4th video.

alright well I'll see ya later

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lord of the rings is cool. it's basically defined the fantasy genre for the last 20 years in terms of movies and video games and such. Of course the books also did that for much longer but i feel like we have the two towers to thank for all the generic big sieges the majority of films have and like a zillion bajillion cheap knock offs.

fellowship and two towers is showing in my local cinema today lol. im not insane though so i'm not gonna go watch it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The_Continental posted:

Oh good more lotr

If something is worth watching it's worth watching for 12 hours at a time again and again and again.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I rewatched the extended ones a few weeks ago, and they've held on so well. The music, the scenery, the acting. Everything is great.

I was going to follow it up with the Hobbit, but remembered the barrel scene and haven't been bothered yet.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ratjaculation posted:

I rewatched the extended ones a few weeks ago, and they've held on so well. The music, the scenery, the acting. Everything is great.

I was going to follow it up with the Hobbit, but remembered the barrel scene and haven't been bothered yet.

No you shouldn't watch the Hobbit movies they're awful. Hold up I think I have a 6 hour video series explaining why handy.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im going to watch the hobbit and you cant stop me

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Didn't they fuckin preplant all the gardens and stuff in Hobbiton a year early, just so they'd look like more genuine

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Didn't they fuckin preplant all the gardens and stuff in Hobbiton a year early, just so they'd look like more genuine

Yeah it's insane what they did to make the movies.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I like how Jackson insisted that every single prop be made by hand. He didn't want the immersion into this world to be ruined by noticing a jug that you could buy at your local department store.

Compare and contrast to Star Wars where they said 'gently caress it' and used Tupperware on a desert planet, far far away.

and thought that no-one would notice that the space-phone was a lady's shaver from the razor company with the largest advertising budget in the world.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Star Wars is goofy in a lot of ways but it has great props and set design, you're being a doofus. I didn't notice the thing was a razor, basically nobody did. I think a lot of props out there are just kitbashed household items.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I really liked the films when I first saw them. But I think I got more genuine enjoyment out of the extra material on the special editions.

I'm no film historian and I might be pulling this out of my rear end, but I believe that these movies were instrumental in showing that even though CGI is fun, you'll need practical effects to really make something look good. Green screens and computer poo poo isn't going to cut it in the long run.

Also that Richard dude from weta sounds like a loving dweeb when he's talking about swords and bugs and I love him for it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's only one lord of the ring :goatsecx:

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I think I might pass on the one hour video of people making a fake tree tho

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Gotta be honest, I can't say that TTT and RotK are very great movies. It kinda feels like they blew all their "beautiful fantasy world" budget on the first one and then all they were left with was the color beige. Kind of reminds me of that Twilight movie where they shot everything in a green filter for some reason, and then suddenly there's a scene without it and it's like holy poo poo, I haven't seen colors for DAYS! TTT is the same right at the end where they're suddenly walking in some green grass. I mean, great achievement and all building all that stuff but yeah, not a very enjoyable watch.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

I think they might objectively be the best movies ever made.

for me to poop on

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah you can't just go to Mordor and not smell the beautiful flowers

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The behind the scenes stuff is great, rewatching some of that was the last time I used my dvd drive. Guess it's all on youtube but still got the extended edition boxes somewhere.

These days I kinda think the behind the scenes stuff is the best part really. Since I'm no longer so impressed that the movie even got made all the things that are wrong are really grating. Like for example the Denethor scenes in ROTK are pretty much unwatchable, his character is like a dumb caricature. Lots of other stuff too. Still like the movies but there are a lot of problems with them.

PJ had passion and got them made but he was not the right director for it. Super obvious from some of the behind the scenes stuff where he's more excited about some shots of collapsing stairs rather than being true to the story.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 3, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hated how Lord of the ring 3 won all the oscars that year when there were a poo poo ton of good movies like City of God that were completely robbed. They were rewarding the third movie on the “strength” of the entire trilogy that was spread out over years, that’s not how an annual award works! :mad:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vA9U7J2qQ&t=114s

i like the LOTR movies. the books themselves are rather odd and different so that the movies are different from the norm as well is totally fine. could have been so, so much worse (see: hobbit)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I loving love the Lord of the rings and the Hobbit. Books? Movies? Random extra poo poo? I love it, just pile it on me

Edit: I'm gonna watch all three lord of the rings extended versions this week

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

doverhog posted:

Like for example the Denethor scenes in ROTK are pretty much unwatchable, his character is like a dumb caricature.
Faramir was my favorite character and these movies made both him and Denethor look so awful. Every scene with Denethor is cringe worthy and they made Faramir so spineless and pathetic.

Plus aragorn didn't randomly shout about anduril, the flame of the west, enough.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i liked the hobbit a lot. immediately picked up fellowship of the ring. it was the first book i ever stopped reading and never picked up again when they were crossing the stream and just about to be caught by the wraiths so uh... elves have magic power over streams
i appreciate the world he put together and the style of storytelling but its not the tightest story if youre gonna make up critical plot elements at the absolute last second

the movies drag on so long theyre unwatchable. i saw the return of the king in theaters and i could swear they spent a half hour or more just revisiting all the characters after the movie shouldve ended
actually im not sure i saw it in theaters. i recall a definite feeling of being trapped watching it that makes it seem that way

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 3, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They put two million fake leaves on the tree above Bag End. It took 5 people a whole week to do it. The scale of what they did to make these movies blows my tiny mind. I wonder if there will ever be another movie at the same level of grandeur made with the same amount of love that these ones were.
They might not be my favorite movies ever made but I think they might objectively be the best movies ever made.

Let me handle this:

"Who gives a poo poo if they are, and even if technically they are, so what?"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I like the tree bros hell ya 420

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

i liked the hobbit a lot. immediately picked up fellowship of the ring. it was the first book i ever stopped reading and never picked up again when they were crossing the stream and just about to be caught by the wraiths so uh... elves have magic power over streams
i appreciate the world he put together and the style of storytelling but its not the tightest story if youre gonna make up critical plot elements at the absolute last second
you almost got me, good one

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
bilbo (bilbo!) bilbo baggins
only three feet tall
the bravest little hobbit of them all

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mozi posted:

only three feet tall
the bravest little hobbit of them all

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

No Pants posted:

you almost got me, good one

quote:

‘Who made the flood?’ asked Frodo. ‘Elrond commanded it,’ answered Gandalf. ‘The river of this valley is under his power, and it will rise in anger when he has great need to bar the Ford. As soon as the captain of the Ringwraiths rode into the water the flood was released.
this resolution of the climactic situation with *surprise magic* explained several pages into the next book/chapter was very dissatisfying. every possible problem can be solved that way

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's a book about magic wizards dude. of course the explanation is because of magic

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
magic was ill-defined in lotr. elves and maiar and whatnot could do weird things. gandalf never slings any fireballs around

as far as whether that was the best way to write that scene... those books are what they are

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm basically tom bombadil IRL

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
you can play the MMO as well and run around pew pew pewing bad guys like Legolas haha it's great fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

it's a book about magic wizards dude. of course the explanation is because of magic
so i stopped reading it. problem solved
thats why i credit it with a lot of good things but not having a tight story

getting everything right at the same time youre inventing your own genre would be like your first ever shot with a basketball being a half-court one that goes in

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 3, 2020