Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I smoked an Illusione 68 last night and it was loving fantastic. I can't smoke at my current apartment, so my cigars get smoked on walks unless I go to a friend's place, and the petite corona size is perfect for that sort of thing. The flavors were excellent - a good bit of spice, but also notes of cherry that were really enjoyable.

I need to smoke more of their stuff - I had the Ultra 9 a few weeks ago and it was fantastic, and I have a few Epernay's I haven't tried yet acclimating in my humidor. If those are as good as the 68 and the Ultra I'm just gonna buy a few of every blend they have at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I’m smoking a Ramon allones celestino fino from one of the first boxes of cigars I bought in 2010. It’s my last one and it sucks that it’s my last one.

Such a good, underrated regional smoke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Had my first really nice cigar in like a week today. The Diesel Unlimited from the AJ Fernandez box press perfecto sampler was quite good. Fairly similar to the Hoyo la Amistad, but a bit darker. Had a nice progression through the thirds, starting off like Vietnamese coffee with creamy espresso and sweetness, progressing on to tiramisu (which is pretty similar, but a bit more intense), and finishing with sandalwood and just a touch of cinnamon raisin bread. Absolutely looking forward to this one again.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Had my first really nice cigar in like a week today. The Diesel Unlimited from the AJ Fernandez box press perfecto sampler was quite good. Fairly similar to the Hoyo la Amistad, but a bit darker. Had a nice progression through the thirds, starting off like Vietnamese coffee with creamy espresso and sweetness, progressing on to tiramisu (which is pretty similar, but a bit more intense), and finishing with sandalwood and just a touch of cinnamon raisin bread. Absolutely looking forward to this one again.

I’ve been meaning to try some of the Diesel line mainly because I read somewhere it uses PA broadleaf so I gotta try the local tobacco.

I didn’t smoke any cigars yesterday and I smoked one Nub Habano today. It was spicy with some nice sweet tobacco flavors mixed in occasionally. It was fine but I didn’t love it and probably wouldn’t seek it out again, I have no idea if my palate is still messed up though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'll just say, I loved the Nub Habano. It was exactly what I wanted from a spicy cigar with a pleasant bite. If you end up being able to grab one for a deal I'd say it would be worth another shot at some point.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How can I rehydrate loose tobacco? I left my pouch outside and it is summer and now it's all dry and crunchy.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Buy new tobacco?
I rarely have success rehydrating anything that has gotten VERY dry.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm gonna try the weed thing and leave it with an orange peel. It's just tailor-made tobacco that I smoke my weed with.

Edit: after a few hours my tobacco is no longer crunchy and is back to being fluffy. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 24, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Congrats!

Having a Padron 2000 Maduro.

This is great. The grainy texture of the wrapper is really special. It's sweet, chocolatey, got a little manure funk. It almost feels like throat coat with molasses.

Sitting around $5-6/stick is really great. Very glad I gave these another shot!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I gotta get some more Padrons. That was one of our go-to cigars before COVID, and I've wanted to try it again now that I've sampled a lot more things.

Enjoyed a My Father Opulencia with the boys on video chat tonight. Very perfumey, in the way that really good coffee or dark chocolate can taste perfumey. It's sort of a dessert cigar, for sure, but really well constructed, and smokes beautifully for at least 2 hours. I used the PerfecDraw as a nubber for the first time tonight, felt pretty good to smoke it down to about a half inch.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Rocky Patel 1999 yesterday and had a similar effect to when I smoked the Nub Habano, almost like there was a dusty coating on it so I assume my mouth is/was still broken. The wrappers were pristine so I don’t think it was mold or bloom or whatever. I ordered a 10 pack of Oliva Serie V and I couldn’t resist smoking one even though I knew it was probably a bad idea. I still enjoyed the hell out of the Serie V even if my mouth is broken. No weird dust particle feeling.

I have no idea what’s wrong with me but I’m going to try and continue smoking less cigars for a while. I’ll revisit the Nub Habano at a future point to give it a fair shake.

Edit: Smoked a Nat Sherman Metropolitan Host which I did not realize had a sweetened tip. It might be nice with black coffee in the morning but generally not for me.

I also smoked a Rocky Patel The Edge Habano which was pretty good but nothing to write home about, it was a bit spicy with cedar and leather primarily which is about I expected.

My plan to smoke less cigars has only been semi successful but my plan to buy less cigars has been extremely successful so far. I figure I’ll stop into my local shop once a week to grab a cigar or two to satisfy that urge instead of going HAM on the web shops.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 26, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It is ten thousand degrees and six hundred percent humidity in Chicago, and I'm thanking my pioneering forebears for inventing cigars and dark and stormies. A consistent pleasure in these times of turmoil.

Hope y'all are staying safe and hydrated ♥️

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly cigars are one of the few things helping me through COVID. Although my issue is more that sometimes it's like 55 degrees on my deck in the evenings and I freeze my rear end off trying to enjoy my smoke. I ordered a tank-top propane heater and was looking forward to smoking in more comfort, but the stupid valve is leaky so I'll probably have to send it back. Oh well.

Smoked an AJ Fernandez New World Puro Especial robusto last night. It was a little dense when I first punched it, but with the PerfecDraw I was able to open it up enough to really enjoy, and the density of the roll made for a very consistent burn through. Thanks for the recommendation on that one NewFatMike, it's become an indispensable tool. The cigar was spicy to start, then sort of meaty/leathery, with just a bit of sweetness as it finished off. Quite pleasant, and a nice long smoke for a smaller cigar. So far I've really enjoyed all the AJ Fernandez stuff I've tried.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.
I use an electric milkhouse heater and jacket down to at least 40°. Works well enough as long as it's not windy.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro last night which was a decent smoke, the chocolate notes were nice but nothing stood out strongly good or bad. It’s basically exactly how I felt about the original Lot 23 but in maduro form so at least they’re consistent? I was pretty drunk when I lit it up so I’ll make sure to smoke my second one sober. I think of all the Perdomo maduro cigars I’ve tried that I like the Perdomo Cuban Parejo Maduro the best. I haven’t tried any of their 20th anniversary or ESV line though.

I smoked Tatuaje Havana VI which was good. I had to take a work call again while I was smoking and being on a call ruins the zen of cigar smoking for me. I’ve had hits and misses with Garcia cigars and I don’t know that I have the same love for them that a lot of you guys do. Flor de las Antillas and La Opulencia are my two favorites out of Tatuaje/My Father/the Garcia brands.

I’m currently smoking an Illusione Rothschild which has got to be my favorite cigar I’ve had, other than the Oliva Serie V, in a while. I’m 100% with you on this one so far NewFatMike. I got an Illusione Rothschild Connecticut wrapper too that I’ll try later this week for fun.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hurray! I'm so glad my recommendations have brought happiness to thread readers ♥️

Nothing too special today smokes wise. This week is somewhat dominated by my project to build a workbench in my home office.

Planning on rummaging around for some cheap and cheerful smokes - I've been hearing some really good things about the EP Carrillo New Wave cigars and some Curivari Buenaventuras, so I'll be pulling the trigger on those soon.

I think I have one Illusione Rothschild left, so it's about time to pick up some more. Hopefully having some milder smokes on rotation will kick me out of a flavor funk and make those spicy boys POP.

Not really an edit, but: I modeled out a hygrometer holder and 90 degree jig holder for woodworking to 3D print. Might be having some fun building some boxes. Perhaps even some Spanish cedar ones!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yesterday I smoked an Oliva Connecticut in the morning with my coffee, not much to say it’s just a great quality Connecticut when you want to have something mild. Later in the day I smoked the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Maestro (had to check out the #1 cigar of 2019) and it was great. Late night a few beers in I had an Undercrown Sungrown which was alright but I don’t think I’d ever smoke it again.

I don’t think I’ve ever really liked a Sumatra wrapper. I’ll have to go through and see if there are any I rated highly that I’ve forgotten about. Otherwise I might be bypassing Sumatra for the most part going forward.

I’m currently smoking the Illusione Rothschild Connecticut and it’s very nice. Perfect low key after stressful work day cigar.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I had a pretty exciting cigar weekend, my dudes.

Had a small barbeque with two friends for my birthday, smoked some ribs and pork butt. Since smoking stuff takes all day, I brought one of my tupperdors with some sticks to share and a couple of heavy hitters I'd been holding onto waiting for a good chance to try.

Started off with a Padron 1926 Maduro Belicoso I've had in my humidor since April. Super rich, earthy, chocolatey, coffee notes, with just the right amount of spice and pepper, and fun transitions all the way though. Paired it with a nice glass of Glenfiddich 15.

A little later on in the night, I got to the one that's been staring at me for the past few weeks - a Fuente Fuente Opus X Robusto - it tasted like nothing I've smoked before, except perhaps the Arturo Fuente Anejo. I don't even have the words or expertise to describe it, but the flavors were incredible. It had a sweet spiciness to it, with cream and pepper and almost cognac notes to it? Also a lot of fruitiness. That one ended up getting popped onto the end of my perfect draw and smoked until it was burning my lips. I wish I could afford to smoke these regularly.

Then, today, I got the five pack I ordered as a treat for myself from Fox Cigars in the mail - an Arturo Fuente 5 pack. Opus X Lost City, God of Fire Serie B, God of Fire Don Carlos, Arturo Fuente Anejo Shark, and Don Carlos Personal Reserve - I think all of these fall solidly in the special occasion stash. Also in this package was a 5 pack of the Illusione 68's - nice little petit coronas with a ton of flavor that are nice to have on a night where I don't have a ton of time to commit to a larger smoke.

Just finished an Illusione Epernay L'Elegance - maybe a corora size? Nice, medium bodied - a lot of flavors but nothing overpowering. Nice bits of spice without being overpowering, and a bit of floral note. Illusione has been great for me in general - I've tried the Ultra, the Epernay, the Original, and all three have been fantastic smokes that are not same-y at all.

edit; I also have a 5 pack of Ave Maria Reconquistadors I'm anxious to try - got them for like three bucks a stick on Cigar Bid. Unfortunately I've read these guys need at the very least three months of rest to calm down before they're read to puff on. The presentation is super cool though - not only do they have that crazy Ave Maria label with the crusader knight dude on them, but each one comes in it's own little wooden coffin with a little hinge that pushes is out for you to pick up when you open it. As a bonus, they take up a loving stupid amount of space in my tupperdor, making me slow down on adding poo poo to my stash.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 30, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sounds like a great time! I need to try some Arturo Fuente stuff. I think my next round of purchases will be mostly shoring up on things I know I really enjoy, but AF cigars are near the top of new things to try.

Tried a Joyo de Nicaragua Antaño Dark Corojo robusto today. It was okay. The flavor was nice, though not too exciting. Sort of a Cocoa Puffs cereal thing going on, no spice to speak of. I may just have developed a taste for looser draws, or maybe it's a result of my climate, but it eventually felt like a chore to keep puffing. I switched to a Flor de las Antillas maduro torpedo and really enjoyed it. The box press on that cigar is very dramatic, it's thin and an elegant-feeling. I had to loosen it up a bit after the torpedo end got a bit wet, but it smoked beautifully after that. I really love the construction on My Father cigars, they smoke so nicely.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat sounds like a fun weekend Dramatika. I smoked a lot of cigars but didn't do anything super interesting. I want to try the Padron 1926 and 1964 but I'm trying to be good and not spend a ton of money on cigars. I've seen a lot of people talk about the Opus X online but that description makes me want to try it more than most have. I also added the Arturo Fuente Anejo to my list.

I smoked an EPC La Historia last night. I got that and the Aging Room Quattro at my local shop that I like to pop into once and a while. I really enjoyed it and it was a perfect end of the night cigar. The chocolate and sweetness was perfectly balanced with a bit of pepper and tobacco flavors. The chocolate dropped out a bit and it got more earthy about half way through but the entire cigar was great.

I just smoked an Illusione Ultra OP No. 3 and it was the jammiest cigar I've ever had. Almost tasted like a fig newton at times.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Speaking of Arturo Fuente, what are some similar smoking cigars from other brands similar to say Cuban Corona's; both in flavor profiles and creaminess of the smoke?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hmm I guess that depends on what you're looking for. Hamlet's Tabaquero line really reminds me strongly of Partagas for 1/3-1/2 the smoke before turning onto its own thing. I think it's really great.

I haven't had any of the other vitolas, but the La Aurora Corojo 1962 Churchill smokes like a tour of Habanos. I get a lot of Upmann, Por Larrañaga, and Partagas Series D from it. Really scratches the itch on the cheap, too!

Do you have a particular marca in mind? It would be really helpful to narrow down the profile. Creamy stuff is pretty easy to come by. Nicaraguan smokes do well on cream and spice. For salty, woody flavors, Dominicans are my go to (if not Habanos).

If you're really into Habanos, it's not hard to get them stateside and if you PM me, I'll happily send along a few sites!

Dramatika, I'm extremely jealous of your weekend! I've got another Fuente Añejo Shark in my humidor. I'm anticipating a special occasion in the next couple weeks that'll be a good cause to smoke it to celebrate!

Padron Maduro 2000 this morning, Illusione Rothschild right now. Really looking forward to my payday tomorrow to pick up those EP Carrillo New Wave Stellas and some Curivari Buenaventuras.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Cigar night!
I’ve narrowed down my choices to
ERDM CUBA EL
hupman petite corona
PL Monte Carlo
Santos custom toro from... who even knows this point.

I think I’m going to go with the Santos because I have the time for it and if it sucks I can pitch it and be happy with any of the other ones I’m bringing with me.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

Cigar night!
I’ve narrowed down my choices to
ERDM CUBA EL
hupman petite corona
PL Monte Carlo
Santos custom toro from... who even knows this point.

I think I’m going to go with the Santos because I have the time for it and if it sucks I can pitch it and be happy with any of the other ones I’m bringing with me.

Are those all cubans? I’ll eventually get into that game but I don’t know anything about them. Are there any good informative write ups somewhere on the basics on cubans? The different styles, brands, etc.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They are all, in fact, Habanos!

Getting all the info in one place is a little tough. Here's a digest:

Samplers and downline products are your friend.

Samplers are great because they can give you the best that's out there to get a feel on who's about what.

There are A LOT of caveats, namely about being careful about the age of the smokes. Most marcas "rest" their smokes after they're wrapped anywhere from 6 months to longer
There's more demand then Cuba could ever supply, and so most cigars go out straight from the factory.

I don't know if samplers have date codes, but full boxes of cigars do, so checking for age is a biggie. 12+ months, preferably 18+ from the box date on most. More details to be had, but this is a long post anyway.

Getting the cigars in the USA isn't hard in TYOOL 2020, but since they're contraband, you tend to end up with grognards and minmaxers.

There are a LOT of good, great, and drat near miraculous Cuban cigars. But they're still just cigars. Check the samplers. I'm also a fan of Mille Fleurs/Regalias/etc that are all right around $100/box of 20-25. I'm certain plenty of sites sell fivers if you want to try a few at a time.

If you want sites, I'm happy to discuss it over PM! Dedicated forums like Friends of Habanos are also valuable (if a little biased) sources of info.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Yeah all Cubans (the only thing I have left after I sold off/gave away my big collection a bunch of years ago).

I ended up pitching the Santos custom as it tasted like sour leather. Fired up the ERDM Cuba Re and it was as good as every other one I had previous. Bummed it’s my last one but I promised I would finish what I have left before even looking at buying boxes again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
smoking a pichardo liga privada, bought it as a random smoke because i had to piss and didn't want to be in the humidor anymore. i have to say, it's a solid smoke. the draw is nice, and i'm pairing it with a solid oatmeal stout that's really hitting all the notes i want. a quick google search says it's something new, but i'm definitely a fan.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Villiger Sandoro Claro, it was extremely meh but passable. Reminded me of the Oliva Protege/Seconds but better construction quality.

Edit: I also bid on some cigars so I failed in my one goal of not spending money on cigars. On the plus side it was fairly minimal but the lack of self control is very real.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

smoking a pichardo liga privada, bought it as a random smoke because i had to piss and didn't want to be in the humidor anymore. i have to say, it's a solid smoke. the draw is nice, and i'm pairing it with a solid oatmeal stout that's really hitting all the notes i want. a quick google search says it's something new, but i'm definitely a fan.

Just saw this on Famous Smoke, looks like it's Crowned Heads? I've enjoyed everything I've had by them so far. Two were stand outs for me (Four Kicks and Jericho Hill) and one was good (Juarez I think?).

Edit 2: It looks like Famous Smoke used the Crowned Heads logo but this does not appear to be a Crowned Heads cigar. It looks like Pichardo manufactured Crowned Heads Juarez and Famous Smoke either made a mistake or knows more than any article I could find online.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 31, 2020

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'll be honest, I couldn't figure out anything from the band. I can't find any other information about it online, which is kind of weird.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yeah, I'll be honest, I couldn't figure out anything from the band. I can't find any other information about it online, which is kind of weird.

Assuming this is the right Pichardo this article seemed to give some information, https://cigar-coop.com/2019/08/cigar-news-a-c-e-prime-launches-pichardo-line-at-2019-ipcpr.html

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Somehow I couldn't find it last night, but this is also it: https://stogiepress.com/cigar-review-pichardo-reserva-familiar-san-andres-toro-rated-88/

I really enjoyed it and I will be buying more.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
For the people wondering about Cubans bear in mind they aren't some smoking holy grail. I have relatively easy (legal) access to the bigger Cuban marques and vitolas, but knowing what I know about them, I'd trade (in the very specific instance of cigar smoking) what the US has when it comes to cigars for what a lot of the rest of the world has. It's not just a tax thing, where a lot of the US has much lower taxes on cigars, but it's availability and range as well. It seems the US has a lot more places you can get cigars, and without national boundaries (i.e. such a large country) it's a lot easier to order cigars (without dealing with specific customs laws, taxes and seizures, etc.) The range of smokes is huge as well, which is part of the fact that there's a lot more places to get them. If you were to compare to Cuban smokes (price points) the cigars other nations produce, those other nations will have ones with similar, if not better quality (even if there's a different flavour profile.) As well as that there's a range of cheaper, decent cigars available. Cubans are mostly higher priced even before taxes come into things. Sure, I might never smoke in a cigar lounge in the US (and be subject to either Fox news on the TV or someone repeating Fox news's lines to me) but the actual culture around cigar smoking is far more developed, something you only have to look at the stats for which countries smoke the most cigars per capita to figure out.

Things could be different elsewhere. There are definitely large European, Australasian, South American, etc. countries where you can get non-Cuban smokes, but the influence Cuban cigars have is simply too large (and a big part of that is because they're embargoed from the US.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mrenda posted:

Sure, I might never smoke in a cigar lounge in the US

Do you not have cigar lounges near you? We have a pretty nice one by me in Southeast MI that also serves great booze and killer steaks.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Do you not have cigar lounges near you? We have a pretty nice one by me in Southeast MI that also serves great booze and killer steaks.

All smoking in workplaces is banned here, and there's no cigar culture. If I want to buy cigars locally I have to buy one of the ten vitolas (when they're well stocked) of Cubans a high quality wine shop sells. If I want more choice I order online from a store a couple of hundred miles away, and they only stock Cubans. If I want to buy a box of Cubans (the only hand rolled cigars available)(and not risk import duty/having them seized when I don't pay a hugely inflated estimate of import duty) you're talking over €300 for a 25 box of H Upmann Half Corona.

The US is an absolute outlier when it comes to cigar smoking. It's really hard to find accurate stats but some site I went to said the US spend on cigars in 2020 is expected to be just over $9b. The country with the next highest spend is Germany with $900m.

This is why the Cuban cigar industry is both excited and terrified about what could happen if the US was legitimately opened up as a market for their cigars. They could make a fortune, or be destroyed by the world's largest cigar market (by far) reacting to a tiny island's inability to produce (in terms of demand, taste, and quality.)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm having, for the first time since before lockdown started, my favorite cigar:

La Aurora Hors D'Age

The 2017 is my tippy top favorite, but this 2018 corona extra is 90+% the same cigar for 2/3 the price. Even closer, now that it's got a lot more humidor time on.

This is so great. I really haven't found a cigar that makes a play at the throne for me. It's so complex and engaging, and the build quality is excellent.

Starts medium, ramps up from there. Spiced cream, moves to spicy if my recollection is correct.

The 2017 Gordo was excellent, the store special vitola I'm having is a corona extra. Make sure you get a vitola that lets the wrapper stand out!

I'm just gonna go enjoy it, and if you've got an urge to splurge for a $12-$15 stick, it's a line with checking out.

Happy weekend, friendos.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Okay just to keep my cigar log going I smoked a My Father My Father No. ??, Ashton VSG, My Father Flor de las Antillas, Arturo Fuente Rosada Gran Reserva, and an Illusione 88.

I liked the My Father much more on this smoke than the first time I had it, VSG was good but nothing crazy, Flor de las Antillas was sort of wasted because it was my third cigar of the day and I had been drinking.

Today the AF Rosada was good and one short section tasted almost like tequila which I thought was interesting. This Illusione 88 is tasty but I’m only half way through so far.

Edit: Smoked a 601 La Bomba and I thought I was ready for it but holy crap that was a strong smoke. I had to get a can of soda (thank you poster who told us about the sugar thing) to get rid of the start of nicotine sickness.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 2, 2020

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I smoked a Montecristo No. 4 last night, sitting out under the stars in a garden by the coast with a couple of beers. I can see why it's the biggest selling Cuban smoke. It's just big enough that you feel like you're getting a decent session in. It starts of beautifully, a really nice mix of flavours between cream, a hint of hay/grass, some coffee, but lovely caramel and even a bit of tea. Fifty percent of the smokable length was delicious, but it didn't really develop as it went on. It felt a little stronger in the latter stages but it was just real strength of what came before, no real new depth or nuance. I'm looking forward to my Monte No. 2 on this basis. If all Cubans started as strong as the No. 4 it'd be perfect.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a My Father La Antiguedad last night and it was excellent. It was a very dry cigar and I had a slight tickle in my throat when I finished it but it was an amazing cigar.

Edit: Just smoked an Alec and Bradley Gatekeeper which I guess was blended by Alan Rubin’s two sons (Alec and Bradley) and manufactured by EPC. It was pretty good, first two thirds was sweet earthy flavors, some nuttiness and then the last third was pepper with underlying sweetness. Enjoyable all the way through.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 3, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Looking forward to grabbing a few new My Father cigars to try. I really wanna try the Centurion H-2K-CT and the Antiguedad, and maybe the Judge.

I smoked a Nub Cameroon 460 the other day. Had a nice leather and wood chewiness that was pretty fun. I also had a Flor de las Antillas maduro, which again is basically fruitcake with the raisin and plum and a touch of spice.

A buddy of mine gave me a few Macanudo Cafe ascots (4.2 x 32). Not super complex, but surprisingly tasty and fun to smoke. Might keep a few around here or there for friends or to have with coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm not smoking cigars/pipes at all right now since my lungs are already trashed from allergies and have a permanent cough/dry throat.

I usually smoke way less in the summer anyway, due to the scorching 100 degree heat inland NorCal. :chord: :clint: :argh:

Current inventory is historically "low" and includes 96 ISOM's (volume leaders Por Larranaga Montecristo, Ramon Allones SS & SCC, HDM E2, Monte 4 & 5, Quai d'orsay coronas.

and 4 various Fuentes 77, OpusX and a single Oliva SV Lancero.

I still have enough Pipe tabak for many years.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 3, 2020