Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm genuinely leaning towards Armound White just being a parody of conservative media criticism. A right-leaning parody, and a bad one, but that can't be serious

e: like he's just a dumb knockoff of supermechagodzilla except replacing zizek with the most boring possible Republican talking points

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Someone please tell me what the "Great Ape Snake War" is. It it a war between Apes and Snakes that was great? A war between the Great Apes and the Snakes? A great war involving hybrid ape snakes? Google is giving me nonsense.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Occupy, apparently...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Some Guy TT posted:

the most heroic thing mr incedible does by far is clandestinely telling the old lady the process by which she can challenge a denial of her claim at the start of the movie

that he backslides from being a whistleblower on toxic insurance industry practices to helping an obvious psychopath build a better murder machine is an appalling indictment of mr incredibles moral character that the movie never even comes close to calling him out on

Mr. Incredible likes to beat up poor people and anarchists because it gives him a sense of purpose that he can’t find in more mundane life, and because it gets his dick hard. Nothing in the world wrong with that

That sequel isn’t very good though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

I'm genuinely leaning towards Armound White just being a parody of conservative media criticism. A right-leaning parody, and a bad one, but that can't be serious

e: like he's just a dumb knockoff of supermechagodzilla except replacing zizek with the most boring possible Republican talking points

The National Review would definitely call Mace Windu the n-word

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AtheistBlkChic/status/1290167670504120320

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Bet she / producers / lawyers didn't pay someone off enough or something

e: "The accusations go back to 2013" Yikes.

MoaM has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Aug 3, 2020

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

People were already making GBS threads on her for being bffs with GWB, so I don’t see why this wouldn’t agitate them further. Ellen sucks, evidently

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
a bunch of stuff has also been coming out about how she's apparently a horrifically abusive, toxic, elitist, and downright mean person behind the scenes. like "don't look her in the eyes because if you do she'll scream at you and throw things" kind of stuff, which is especially harmful because she's built her entire *~brand~* on the idea of being a nice person and apparently it's just 100% lies and showmanship

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

People were already making GBS threads on her for being bffs with GWB, so I don’t see why this wouldn’t agitate them further. Ellen sucks, evidently

people like us were making GBS threads on her for that the libs were making excuses for her and saying it was good to be friends with war criminals because at least theyre not trump

they dont seem to be now just because theres a whole lot of accusations but it took me a ridiculously long time to find a usable tweet for the thread because mainstream news hasnt been addressing this at all

i had to go fishing around in the entertainment dailies and most of their headlines are intended to be read as part of a continuing story thats been going on for a month its only just now starting to bleed into the real news because the accusations arent going away

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

General Dog posted:

I don't think there's really anything inherently wrong with pro-fascist entertainment as long as it makes a compelling case and, you know, entertains.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is both pro-fascist and anti-fascist. Pro in that you want to root for the plucky, lovable fascist super-cops of Section 9, but anti in that society is so corrupt that even the super cops are pointless because they can’t do anything about it. Every corrupt group of politicians, businessmen, crime organization, or “terrorist” they stop just leaves a hole that is instantly filled by someone else.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

vyelkin posted:

a bunch of stuff has also been coming out about how she's apparently a horrifically abusive, toxic, elitist, and downright mean person behind the scenes. like "don't look her in the eyes because if you do she'll scream at you and throw things" kind of stuff, which is especially harmful because she's built her entire *~brand~* on the idea of being a nice person and apparently it's just 100% lies and showmanship

allegations have been floating around since 2013 and they let her host the oscars (where she had an unrelated, very personal and maybe transphobic incident that briefly lit the internet on fire) instead of doing anything about it

and now she's been drafted into the culture wars as the supporting pillar of white well-off queer women everywhere because nobody learns anything and we're going to circle this drain forever
https://twitter.com/jillboard/status/1289998236024033280
https://twitter.com/NellSco/status/1289633591824007168

Malleum has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Aug 3, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
bet matt lauer and kevin spacey are pissed as poo poo they didn't wait to be sex pests until after the democrats decided it was okay

ellen will get to do an aw shucks I'm sorry apology on the view in 2023 to meghan mccain and make everything peachy again because it's immoral to waste a perfectly good token voice you can use to spread celebrity worship

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's almost like people are extra disappointed that someone that posits themselves as a pillar of a marginalized group would visit the same hardships that bigots would inflict on her marginalized group on others.

no war but class war

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ellen is a girlboss and im tired of men trying to discredit powerful women

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Pulcinella posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is both pro-fascist and anti-fascist. Pro in that you want to root for the plucky, lovable fascist super-cops of Section 9, but anti in that society is so corrupt that even the super cops are pointless because they can’t do anything about it. Every corrupt group of politicians, businessmen, crime organization, or “terrorist” they stop just leaves a hole that is instantly filled by someone else.

thinking about the episode where they can't get charges to stick on a murderer so they just arrange a car accident to severely maim the perp and his lawyer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zvahl posted:

bet matt lauer and kevin spacey are pissed as poo poo they didn't wait to be sex pests until after the democrats decided it was okay

Their big mistake is they didn't promise to run for president against Trump and Putin's russians when the accusations were disclosed...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pulcinella posted:

It's one of my favourite things about Blades in the Dark, which is a tabletop RPG about playing Peaky Blinders in a steampunk horror setting; the police are literally just another gang with a massive territorial claim, they have a power rating and a (surprisingly low) place in the pecking order like everything else, and they're entirely dominated by more powerful groups, including the church, the companies that actually own everything, and the setting's blood-drinking billionaire-equivalent (a one-person gang with a higher power rating than the entire police force)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/rabbitven0m/status/1289650882007592960?s=20
This tweet was shared in the cool zone thread.

The replies arguing that the Armitages were only pretending to be liberal are a trip.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I... what? That wasn't even subtext, that was straight up Text.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wwe introduced an antifa faction, lol

https://twitter.com/nickpiccone/status/1290475658431401985

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Unrelated:

I forgot the golden rule of YouTube: never read the comments, never.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

:laffo:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the more interesting get out text not subtext everyone ignores is how right after the older white guy says obama was the greatest president ever our black hero apparently agrees with him entirely sincerely with a genuine smile the implication being that solidarity in shared love of obama is no solidarity at all

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Get Out won't change minds, but it is a good movie

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Someone please tell me there's a podcast episode out there with some liberal who voted for Pete Buttigieg explaining why they liked Get Out and Parasite, going in great detail why the films' themes were so incisive for the political moment they're released.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

movies in general dont change minds

supermechagodzilla had a really interesting semi eulogy post around forums dying time where he said the purpose of film analysis in general and his posts in particular was not to persuade but to help the person doing the analyzing make sense of the world

i think armond white also uses this as a guiding principle and its why he shits on other reviewers so hard because most of them are far more accurately described as fans rather than critics at this point

i also agree with the sentiment but i try to keep my movie observations more grounded in the real world which is why i dont reference zizek or right wing facebook memes even if i do appreciate the alternate perspectives

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

smg is right that the marvel movies are right-wing garbage and im glad someone is saying it

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Zvahl posted:

ellen will get to do an aw shucks I'm sorry apology on the view in 2023 to meghan mccain and make everything peachy again because it's immoral to waste a perfectly good token voice you can use to spread celebrity worship

Kevin Spacey is having people murdered and gloating about it on video. He seems to be having the time of his life actually.

Al Franken is the one whose probably pissed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

movies in general dont change minds

supermechagodzilla had a really interesting semi eulogy post around forums dying time where he said the purpose of film analysis in general and his posts in particular was not to persuade but to help the person doing the analyzing make sense of the world

i think armond white also uses this as a guiding principle and its why he shits on other reviewers so hard because most of them are far more accurately described as fans rather than critics at this point

i also agree with the sentiment but i try to keep my movie observations more grounded in the real world which is why i dont reference zizek or right wing facebook memes even if i do appreciate the alternate perspectives

SMG actually had some recent posts about Armond White in genchat about how he used to be interesting and one of the early 'Hillary is awful and Obama isn't actually progressive' takes but now he's just another right wing concern troll out of touch with reality

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Don't ban tiktok.
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1290634373042184193?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The replies are hell

https://twitter.com/Mikeanddar/status/1290707757335625728

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I don't know if I will ever sit down and watch Hamilton; I wish I could just walk into it mentally blind. This is probably a good thing...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll admit back in 2015 I was enough of a history nerd that I enjoyed the cast recording quite a bit, and only slowly turned against the whole thing as it became unambiguously a liberal phenomenon. Never seen the show.

I do reject the article's framing of LMM as a millennial; I think he's technically and culturally more firmly in the Xer column, even if he has some vague similarities with lovely "30 under 30" millennials who were groomed into fame by legacy outlets.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think the article is mis-using 'transgressive'. Slapping it on Girls is fine, whatever, but no one actually thought Hamilton was edgy...at least as I remember it.

I read the positive reception as 'nice' and 'about time'.

Anyhow, it's really odd reading takes on Lin and Hamilton that I could've dropped on you Day One a half-decade ago.

MoaM has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Aug 4, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MoaM posted:

I don't know if I will ever sit down and watch Hamilton; I wish I could just walk into it mentally blind. This is probably a good thing...

:stat::wal: I wish I'd walked into it physically deaf!

jk, it's quite good.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Maybe I'll just listen to the recording?
Though...I have elitist objections to showtunes in TYOL 2020 to begin with.

I'll wait a couple years.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If Hamilton never existed, the concept of rap musical where the Founding Fathers are all PoC would have been created by a Trump donor to try to win over the Black vote.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hamilton, but the entire cast is descended from Thomas Jefferson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Atrocious Joe posted:

If Hamilton never existed, the concept of rap musical where the Founding Fathers are all PoC would have been created by a Trump donor to try to win over the Black vote.

it’s something only a liberal could think up. there’s a vid of him preforming in a ‘Jesus Christ superstar holocaust ‘ play he wrote up in high school too