Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even realize at first it was comparing a 20 year period to a 35 year one.

20:45. I eyeballed the "lists of wars" wikipedia pages and it looks like there were only about 30% more wars during the period that was 125% years longer than his carefully cherry-picked lull between the World Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

Gotta study hard in high school to go to college, you want to end up working at McDonald's?

loving buckle down in college, don't want to end up working at McDonald's.

I don't care there's no more jobs in your field, you think you're too good to work at McDonald's?

You left out the ones for when McDonald's doesn't hire the person because they are extremely over-qualified ("no wonder you don't have a job if even McDonald's won't take you!") or are hired for 10/hours a week because McDonald's is not going to give anyone enough hours to qualify for benefits ("wow you managed to land a job and are still on food stamps? how can you stand taking advantage like that when you don't need it").

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

FOURTH interview? How many interview rounds do these people except you to do? I've never heard of anything more than a second round! What is there that can be found out about the candidate during a fourth interview that hasn't already been covered during the first three interviews, unless it's how many hoops they're willing to jump through?

I applied for a job last year which involved:

1. An interview with the internal recruiter about my career history/why I want the job
  2. A series of gamified tests checking my logical/spatial/whatever reasoning
  3. A second interview with their recruiter where I was asked a bunch of "Tell me about a time when you..." questions
  4. A technical interview where I had to complete a series of tasks while screen-sharing and then answer technical questions
  5. A "soft-skills" interview where I had to prepare/give a presentation and then answer another bunch questions on my experiences with project managment, client management etc.

All of which were done on different days. If I hadn't been in a position where I could regularly take a random hour out of my day for interviews I have no idea how I would've fit them in.

(And then I was told that even though I'd passed the interviews they'd already filled the roles available. But if I waited 4+ months and the team was doing well they might be in a position to offer me something then)

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The problem with millennials is they only submit applications online and that's why it takes 100 applications. If you really want to get a job you need to pound the pavement, walk into an office, hand your resume to the bossman, look him in the eye, give him a firm handshake, and tell him, "I'm your man!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

you broke my grill posted:

The problem with millennials is they only submit applications online and that's why it takes 100 applications. If you really want to get a job you need to pound the pavement, walk into an office, hand your resume to the bossman, look him in the eye, give him a firm handshake, and tell him, "I'm your man!"

So true, and this exact wording works for you gals out there too!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Hand...shake. I've heard of those in history class!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nastyman posted:

Good news, Everyone!

Why is it a needlessly complicated robot arm and not some sort of conveyor-belt griddle like those rolling toasters you get at hotel breakfasts?

because otherwise they couldn't make a big song and dance about AI

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why is it a needlessly complicated robot arm and not some sort of conveyor-belt griddle like those rolling toasters you get at hotel breakfasts?

what is the difference between a human and a needlessly complicated robot arm, really?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The robotic future is all made of continuously articulated tentacles like in all cartoons from the 70s

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The reason you can't nail down who is white and who isn't is because whiteness is a status, not a race. And it has nothing that specifically defines it, outside of being accepted as 'white' vs 'non-white'. That's it, that's the only criteria. Once you're accepted as white, you've made it.

This is why a lot of Italian-Americans cling to Columbus. He represents Italian legitimacy as the 'original' white Americans, and fostered their acceptance as white instead of immigrants. Americans used to sneer at garlic as stinky immigrant food.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Data Graham posted:

The robotic future is all made of continuously articulated tentacles like in all cartoons from the 70s
But because it's the real life future, all the tentacles are armed with knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

all robot designs should be based on nannerpus

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

According to my spreadsheet, I've submitted 11,528 job applications over the last 10 years, have had a little over 500 interviews, and have yet to find a full-time job. Where's my loving job, LinkedIn rear end in a top hat?

Do you still have the photo of that cancerous anal prolapse on your cover letter?

Edit: Lowtax. That’s who I was trying to think of.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

yeah exactly this, the flippy robot arm seems more like what a robot burger maker should be like in the future. a robot being a giant series of machines which crank out thousands of frozen patties isn't as exciting because it's a form of robot which has existed for decades and is kind of boring. but the flippy arm can have like, machine learning, and we can connect it to the deep web, future!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

you broke my grill posted:

all robot designs should be based on nannerpus

I don't know what this means, so I'm going to assume you mean your grandmother's vagina.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Burger king's entire business is built around a conveyor belt gas grill. Minimum wage worker puts in frozen patties on one side, cooked patties come out the other with grill marks from the conveyer belt. Turning frozen patties into cooked ones is not the difficult-to-automate portion of this process.

E: like imagine having a laundry robot who just washes your pants in the sink and can't fold.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

FOURTH interview? How many interview rounds do these people except you to do? I've never heard of anything more than a second round! What is there that can be found out about the candidate during a fourth interview that hasn't already been covered during the first three interviews, unless it's how many hoops they're willing to jump through?

I work for a small and mostly neglected department of a medium sized company. There really isn't a lot of administrative burden in what we do and there isn't psychometric testing or any of that in our recruiting. 3 interviews generally the norm. An informal phone interview to finalise shortlist of say 5 people, in person or Zoom interview to get to final one or two applicants, then short interview with head of department before a formal offer is made.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sure that some day we'll invent a robot that can.

*that robot from futurama voice*

Why, why was I programmed to feel ennui?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Cloacamazing! posted:

I applied for an engineering job. Went in for a technical interview with the hiring manager and blew them away. "We absolutely want to give you an offer. But our policies say you'll need to come in for another six interviews with various HR folks, culminating with the head of HR for North America, before we can actually write you an offer letter." For a company with more than a thousand employees in the US, and over 12k worldwide.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Wait until you hear about the massive "code challenge" homework assignments you get to do when interviewing for software engineering positions.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Wait until you hear about the massive "code challenge" homework assignments you get to do when interviewing for software engineering positions.

i put together a comprehensive marketing plan for a firm to try to get a job once. i didn't get it. the recruiter/agency asked what was up and what i thought happened and i told them 'i wrote a six page strategy document for the next year and now they don't need to hire anyone for the position'. i actually ended up getting a check from the company i interviewed with.

needless to say, dont ever sit in a two hour interview and 'let them pick your brain' and don't do spec work ever

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Waterbed Wendy posted:

what is the difference between a human and a needlessly complicated robot arm, really?

A human can be voluntold to do additional labour or additional job tasks without additional pay. Good luck getting the robot's makers to reprogram it when they decide that the 1.0 model is now obsolete, and any future updates will be for 2.0, that will be 6900 dollars please, and don't forget the 4200 you still owe us for the 1.0

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Skwirl posted:

*twitch*

I know this has to be a drat trap but that was a Simpson's episode

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I get the impression that a huge swathe of the population has no idea what actually goes on in a restaurant's kitchen, fast food or otherwise.

Especially fast food tho because every employee does every job. A robot is a huge downgrade until we're at C3P0.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
"What is my purpose?"
"If you got time to lean you got time to clean!"
"Oh my God."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I get the impression that a huge swathe of the population has no idea what actually goes on in a restaurant's kitchen, fast food or otherwise.

Especially fast food tho because every employee does every job. A robot is a huge downgrade until we're at C3P0.

I think it's especially weird because lots of these places you can see right into the kitchen and legit see the employees at work... unless you go through the drive-thru every single time.

Also Tim Horton's has the most hellish system I've ever encountered, where employees are still taking orders from the drive-thru headset while emptying garbages or mopping.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Brawnfire posted:

I think it's especially weird because lots of these places you can see right into the kitchen and legit see the employees at work... unless you go through the drive-thru every single time.

Also Tim Horton's has the most hellish system I've ever encountered, where employees are still taking orders from the drive-thru headset while emptying garbages or mopping.

How do they send the order to the kitchen then? Are they supposed to memorize it and put it into the computer when they get back from the trash?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

How do they send the order to the kitchen then? Are they supposed to memorize it and put it into the computer when they get back from the trash?

The vast majority of Tim Hortons orders are common phrases like "an xl double-double." (an extra large coffee, two cream, two sugar)

It's not a good system, but it's much easier to multitask because of the specific company.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I worked at a fast casual place and two people wore headsets. One who takes orders and does the register and one who makes the food. The one who takes orders could take orders while away from the register and the other person would key it in and get it started. This was not something that was done if we were busy, but during lulls it happened all the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

The vast majority of Tim Hortons orders are common phrases like "an xl double-double." (an extra large coffee, two cream, two sugar)

It's not a good system, but it's much easier to multitask because of the specific company.

Oh right, they're mostly coffee and donuts, I've never actually been to one so I was just thinking what kind of nightmare that would be at a burger joint.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just recall taking out the garbage being the closest thing I had to an actual break, so it strikes me as probably worse than it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm actually still confused on how that speeds anything up from a customer perspective unless there's someone else who can serve you and take your money, at which point, why didn't they take your order to begin with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm actually still confused on how that speeds anything up from a customer perspective unless there's someone else who can serve you and take your money, at which point, why didn't they take your order to begin with.

Yes, there is. Tims' workers kind of rotate around the various cash registers, but they don't trade off headsets. So it's easy for headset person to punch in "XL DD" into the machine and have the person actually at the register serve you and take your money.

again I'm not saying it's a good system, but having that flexibility makes a lot more sense when the vast majority of orders are "make coffee" (and pretty much every cash register has the stuff to do this individually) or "grab donut." The ones that aren't that simple are far less common and do get handed off as needed for their complexity.

Tims' workers always look and feel like crap and I can't imagine it's easy for them. But the system is set up for "buy and get coffee" to be ridiculously simple and fool-proof since that's what they sell primarily.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Aug 3, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, someone else pointed out it was Simpsons not Futurama. I could picture the scene in my head and robots plus that animation style made me think Futurama.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Brawnfire posted:

I just recall taking out the garbage being the closest thing I had to an actual break

Supervisor: Hey you're not upselling. As punishment I'm taking you off cash and the sales floor and sending you to the stock room to deal with one of the holiday shipments we just got

Me: oh no. how terrible

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Skwirl posted:

It’s not to speed things up. It’s not to help customers or employees. It’s to have the fewest amount of people possible working and yes, it’s mostly miserable.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

According to my spreadsheet, I've submitted 11,528 job applications over the last 10 years, have had a little over 500 interviews, and have yet to find a full-time job. Where's my loving job, LinkedIn rear end in a top hat?

My brain's initial reaction upon reading this was "yeah okay that number is way too high" but from all the time I've spent between temp jobs and whatnot I could easily see reaching that number.

I know it's because older generations/conservatives don't care to learn about new things or any idea that challenges their worldview, but people really don't have any concept of how the job market functions now compared to even just under 20 years ago. You can easily apply to like 50 jobs in an hour if they're all on Indeed with "Apply quickly" options. If you're lucky a job will have all your info saved so all you have to do is click one button and your application gets sent in. Conversely, there are applications that claim to auto-fill your information but instead just mash all the text into random spaces so you have to redo the entire thing anyway. You can literally spend 40 hours one week applying for jobs and get as little as zero communication back from any of them. Maybe a couple phone calls and ONE lucky interview slips in. I said it years before and I'll say it now: applying for work is comparable to actually working except for no pay.

Problem is, employers are spending just about as much effort. Some HR assistant is probably just scrolling through a list of a thousand applications and deleting/keeping some based on seemingly nothing. This person also probably has zero connection to the actual position so they don't give a poo poo. They probably devote about 2 seconds per resume in the initial round of eliminations and those choices are based entirely around bullshit like font and buzzwords. In the end the position goes to the CEO's secretary's friend who retired recently and "just wants something to do." Add that to an ever growing population and technology advances eliminating jobs.

How anyone could argue employment isn't just playing a numbers game and hoping for the best baffles me. But I guess when your worldview includes "people who have less than me are lovely and deserve what they get" you'll have trouble grasping that. Oh and for the love of god just launch someone into the sun if they suggest "hitting the pavement."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*hits pavement*

*gives firm handshake, looks in eye*

"Uh, yeah, our application's online so you can just go fill that out."