Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Celeste, is everything doable when I first come across it or do I need to come back later with new skills? I just started playing so I'm only fifteen or so minutes in but there's this one strawberry I can't imagine being able to get without some kind of double or longer dash and even then I'm not quite sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lobok posted:

For Celeste, is everything doable when I first come across it or do I need to come back later with new skills? I just started playing so I'm only fifteen or so minutes in but there's this one strawberry I can't imagine being able to get without some kind of double or longer dash and even then I'm not quite sure.

Everything in a level is doable as soon as you start that level.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which strawberry is it?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Sometimes the game expects you to use tricks to get secrets that it never teaches you. For example, moving from one screen to another resets your stamina, so you can dash upward at an angle between screens endlessly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lobok posted:

You probably need to come back later with new skills, but by that I mean physical player ability rather than something you get given in game. Don't stress too hard about collecting everything your first playthrough, especially if you can't even see how to do it. Come back later and you will have picked up skills that will help you do it! Kinda like a metroidvania but with brain learning rather than picking up double jump.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok. Good to know, thanks all.

Cliff posted:

Sometimes the game expects you to use tricks to get secrets that it never teaches you. For example, moving from one screen to another resets your stamina, so you can dash upward at an angle between screens endlessly.

I will keep that in mind!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The key to success in Celeste is knowing exactly what the rules are. If something is possible, it will be required at some point (but maybe only for an optional challenge).

There's a Celeste thread that might be worth paying attention to.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've heard about some subtle changes that happen in Ghost of Tsushima if you use stealth more often than not. How true is that, and is it something I should actively think about as I play? No need to spoil anything, but if it's "Changes the ending" levels then I'd like to know.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ahobday posted:

I've heard about some subtle changes that happen in Ghost of Tsushima if you use stealth more often than not. How true is that, and is it something I should actively think about as I play? No need to spoil anything, but if it's "Changes the ending" levels then I'd like to know.

It influences the weather. The more you use stealth the more storms you get.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Going to start a playthrough of Total War: ROME II (latest edition, I think). No tips on the wiki. I'm not unfamiliar with the total war games, but all tips and beginners advice welcome!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ahobday posted:

There is no real morality system, nothing you do will affect the ending.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kalenden posted:

Going to start a playthrough of Total War: ROME II (latest edition, I think). No tips on the wiki. I'm not unfamiliar with the total war games, but all tips and beginners advice welcome!

The two groups to start with are either Rome or Egypt, both have a good economic base and clear paths of where they should be going. Groups like the Gauls tend to have looser organization, and are primarily spear based rather than sword based which is an issue with the holy trinity of spear > horse > sword > spear.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Half Life: Alyx, or is it a pretty straight forward like the others in the series?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Another question about Ghost of Tsushima: I've read that you can reveal the whole map if you clear every enemy camp. Does this include Castle Kaneda in the first act? That feels like a bit of a act break, so I didn't want to go there until I felt "done" with the first part of the map. How should I approach it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ahobday posted:

Another question about Ghost of Tsushima: I've read that you can reveal the whole map if you clear every enemy camp. Does this include Castle Kaneda in the first act? That feels like a bit of a act break, so I didn't want to go there until I felt "done" with the first part of the map. How should I approach it?

Finishing Act 1 will not reveal the whole map. Also, this isn't really a story spoiler but even after you progress through Castle Kaneda to the next part of the island there is more stuff that happens in the first part of the map so you'll be coming back to it anyway.

Edit: If I were to tell my past self how to go about it I would say to progress into Act 2 enough to finish the Yurikawa mythic tale so that I have both Heavenly Strike and Dance of Wrath, plus the new piece of equipment you get leading up to the end of Act 1, and then go back to island 1 to do as much stuff as I want.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 1, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Half Life: Alyx, or is it a pretty straight forward like the others in the series?

Do not spend any significant amount of effort "saving" ammunition. Like prior games, ammo spawns ahead of you based on how much you need; if you "save up", you're just not going to get any more of that type.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My Time at Portia
After fixing McDonald's stable, you can rent a horse. The price is very cheap considering that it speeds up travel times significantly.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 2, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vidaeus posted:

You can abuse the reflex sight upgrade on the pistol to tell which zombies are dead and which are playing possum.

Actually go digging through drawers, cupboards and shelves, or you'll find gently caress-all resin otherwise.

The health station cores and stations are a 1:1 pair. If you find the core or an empty station, its partner is nearby waiting to be found. There's zero reason to tuck one into your inventory slots for "later".

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Cool, thanks for the Half Life: Alyx tips!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ignore Neddy, he's lying to you. Save all the health station cores until you can return them to the Grubfather near the end of the game for a special set of upgrades and lots of resin.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ahobday posted:

This isn't specifically what you asked, but the Act breaks seem to be pretty clearly signposted. If all your main objectives (on the bottom right of the map screen) are crossed off, the next main story (Gold) mission you do is your end of act mission.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can abuse the reflex sight upgrade on the pistol to tell which zombies are dead and which are playing possum.

Actually go digging through drawers, cupboards and shelves, or you'll find gently caress-all resin otherwise.
Very yes to both of these. The reflex sight is incredibly important, because it's surprisingly hard to aim otherwise. Also, it highlights the weak spots of the enemies and works as a sort of poor man's night vision targeting mode when it's too dark to easily see the headcrabs otherwise.

And yeah, search and flip over everything. Not only is it half the point of the game, what with being VR and all, but it's also how you find 95% of the ammo and upgrade materials in this game. Hardly anything at all is ever just out in the open, so train those burglary skills.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Zaodai posted:

This isn't specifically what you asked, but the Act breaks seem to be pretty clearly signposted. If all your main objectives (on the bottom right of the map screen) are crossed off, the next main story (Gold) mission you do is your end of act mission.

Thanks. I've just done the Castle Kaneda mission, which I assumed was the last enemy stronghold in the first part of the map, and the map was not revealed. What exactly does a player have to do to trigger the "Reveal the map" mechanic?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ahobday posted:

Thanks. I've just done the Castle Kaneda mission, which I assumed was the last enemy stronghold in the first part of the map, and the map was not revealed. What exactly does a player have to do to trigger the "Reveal the map" mechanic?

In Act 2, new stuff pops up in the first area, so you can't actually complete the map for that zone until then.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ahobday posted:

What the person who told you this originally meant was that each time you clear an enemy camp, it reveals a the immediate area around it. They're not gonna just show you the whole map out of nowhere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rescuing peasants alongside the road reveals the location of a Mongol fort, and clearing all the forts reveals the landmarks around it. When you complete each Act, you automatically get map markers for each area you missed in the region. So the easiest way to clear out an area is simply to progress to the next Act when you're mostly done and come back later, even though each new chapter starts with an extended mission where you cannot fast travel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's when you liberate all the strongholds in region that the whole map for that region is revealed. If you zoom out, you can see how many are left for a region (if it's red, it's not liberated). The first area gets some new places to liberate after you finish the first act, but the second area can be completely liberated when you finish the second act's final mission.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been putting some time into Hyper Light Drifter over the past week and have a few things I wish I'd know before starting-

-Your dash will never get longer. If you see an item on a platform that looks too far away, there's either a way to make a platform leading to it or another pathway to reach it.

-If you see a post that has a black square with an orange dot in it, you need the gun from the North region to activate it.

-Each costume set has three pieces (cape, sword, drone) and equipping one piece from a set gives you that set's bonus. Wearing multiple pieces from the same set doesn't amplify their effect, so mixing and matching different pieces gives you more bonuses. This article tells you where to find them and what they do.

-You can get two rewards in the dash shop for chaining together dashes, at 100 and 800(!) consecutive dashes.

-Activating a warp pad in person (not from the map) refills your health without respawning everything.

Also the second item on the wiki's current list says "Warping makes enemies respawn", can that be changed to "Warping makes enemies and health pickups respawn"?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 2, 2020

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Been putting some time into Hyper Light Drifter over the past week and have a few things I wish I'd know before starting-

Also the second item on the wiki's current list says "Warping makes enemies respawn", can that be changed to "Warping makes enemies and health pickups respawn"?

I've updated the page.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ahobday posted:

I've updated the page.

Thanks bud!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Like prior games
:aaaaa:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yup, since the "supply crates" in HL2. I think the grubs in ep2 also do it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I just started Vampyr - should I generally be breaking down items or selling them? Also is there ever anything inside breakable scenery like barrels and crates?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

owl_pellet posted:

I just started Vampyr - should I generally be breaking down items or selling them? Also is there ever anything inside breakable scenery like barrels and crates?
1) With weapons, it really doesn't matter unless you switch the ones you use a whole drat lot because you should have plenty to upgrade the 2-3 you're most likely to stick with. On the other hand, it really helps to have access to medicine components; healing people is basically the only non-violent way to get experience and being stocked on cures is a pretty good idea. You'll get a feel for the balance eventually, it's nothing to be stressed over early on.

2) IIRC there is no loot in them, they just get in the way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

owl_pellet posted:

Your questions were answered, but there are two important things to know.

One, if you need to spend XP to do something story related but don't have it saved up, you can still do it, it will just put you into negative XP.

Two, you will have the option to drink from a human in a certain boss fight. Doing so does not count against you for the Not Even Once achievement, as that only looks at non combat deliberate embracing. Drink the fucker dry, or the boss will (and make the fight much much harder).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Two, you will have the option to drink from a human in a certain boss fight. Doing so does not count against you for the Not Even Once achievement, as that only looks at non combat deliberate embracing. Drink the fucker dry, or the boss will (and make the fight much much harder).
It does. I found out the hard way and the wiki is updated with that; from what I've read, the not-counting was patched out.

e: For what it's worth, that achievement/ending is so not worth going for.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 4, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

anilEhilated posted:

It does. I found out the hard way and the wiki is updated with that; from what I've read, the not-counting was patched out.

I agree. The added challenge of not draining named NPCs is interesting, but there is only one ending with slight variations at the conclusion. Basically something you end up looking up on Youtube afterwards.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Huh, it didn't count when I played not that long ago (I tested as there was some debate around it). When did you play?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

This came up in the Steam thread but multiple people agreed the whole dynamic completely breaks down by mid point of the game and just makes it unrelentingly tedious.

Dontnod's games are made with writing and design first, gameplay a distant second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Huh, it didn't count when I played not that long ago (I tested as there was some debate around it). When did you play?
November 2019.