Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MLB is cancelled, NFL in jeopardy, NBA doing okay. Golf though, golf perseveres in the age of corona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q2lu70VxGQ
https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/

Justin Thomas won last week at the WGC FedEx St. Jude Invitational and claimed the #1 world ranking from Jon Rahm who held it for 2 weeks. Brooks Koepka was looking good but melted down on the last 4 holes. Speaking of meltdowns, Bryson DeChambeau:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6XG7WjfcMk

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: 4-10pm ESPN
Sat: 4-10pm CBS
Sun: 3-9pm CBS

The website and app have good streaming every day.

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday ET)
11:11 a.m. -- Brooks Koepka, Gary Woodland, Shane Lowry
11:22 a.m. -- Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose
11:33 a.m. -- Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Justin Thomas
4:47 p.m. -- Rickie Fowler, Bryson DeChambeau, Adam Scott
4:58 p.m. -- Jon Rahm, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia

Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes as of 10am ET Monday)
Justin Thomas 9/1
Brooks Koepka 10/1
Jon Rahm 12/1
Rory McIlroy 12/1
Bryson DeChambeau 16/1
Dustin Johnson 20/1
Xander Schauffele 20/1
Tiger Woods 25/1
Webb Simpson 25/1
Patrick Cantlay 28/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Phil Mickelson
DJExile: Rickie Fowler
Shrapnig: Gary Woodland
mattfl: Bubba Watson
Anno: Jordan Spieth
BCRock: Collin Morikawa
Kirios: Patrick Reed
Keyser_Soze: Tyrell Hatton
Dr. Capco: Tony Finau
Kameh: Sergio Garcia

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ricky Fowler, bithc :coolfish:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm feeling weird on this one because who the hell knows what's going to happen.

Gary Woodland.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya who the hell knows.

Bubba for me!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'll take Cantlay.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'll take Spieth.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

I'll take Cantlay.

No you won't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

I'll take Cantlay.

Shrapnig posted:

No you won't.
Cantlay is 10th favored to win, you can't pick him.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Duh. Not sure how I missed his name up there. Hmm... Now I have to think about it.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'll take Morikawa.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As an Astros fan, I feel obligated to take Patrick Reed.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Harding Park is a great old course with fantastic cool weather and a shitload of draw holes. When it was a shitbox course back in the 90's, we could play there for $19. I hope it gets foggy and windy. :getin:

Tyrell Hatton

don't know if he hits draws but he can learn in the next few days.

I am also not missing any of the dumbass crowds in any sport right now either.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Tony Finau please. Dude has to break through at some point.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dr. Capco posted:

Tony Finau please. Dude has to break through at some point.

Spends too much time loving what with his 8 kids. Dude is probably exhausted

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Tony's going to unleash the 206 mph ball speed on the world and make me rich :coolfish:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Give me Sungjae Im.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 5, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Give me Sungjae Im.
You have forsaken Sergio

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
GIVE ME MY BOY PLEASE I'LL TAKE SERGIO I'M SORRY

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

GIVE ME MY BOY PLEASE I'LL TAKE SERGIO I'M SORRY
K but if you win I want my money back :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've never witnessed such betrayal on these forums since I've been here. For shame, Kameh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

I'll take Morikawa.
The betting lines have him T10 favorite now. Your pick is still valid of course, but it'll be interesting if you win.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BCRock officially owes all of us money if he wins.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So we get some poo poo coverage for this tournament. No PGA Tour Live featured groups and only ESPN+ has early coverage. I'm for one not going to buy another streaming service and will find some pirate stream to watch it on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

So we get some poo poo coverage for this tournament. No PGA Tour Live featured groups and only ESPN+ has early coverage. I'm for one not going to buy another streaming service and will find some pirate stream to watch it on.
I'm leeching my friend's Disney+ account and that login worked for plus.espn.com so it might work for you too? :shrug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 6, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm leeching my friend's Disney+ account and that login worked for plus.espn.com so it might work for you too? :shrug:

Hmm, I'll hafta see what I can find. I don't sub to that service either.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I have Disney+ (offered through unlimited Verizon data plan), and I believe my plan is separate from the bundle that includes ESPN+ and Hulu. I'll try my login with the espn+ app to see if it works.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I caved and paid the $5 to watch Tiger coverage for the next 2 days.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger birdies #1, it's over boyz

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I caved and paid the $5 to watch Tiger coverage for the next 2 days.
You'll also get Bryson in the featured group on the other side of the draw

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger dropped a bomb on his 4th hole to go -2. I should've put some money down on him but I thought his back would act up in the cold. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp Rory is a dumpster fire

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rory's turned his round around nicely - -1 after the start he had is respectable.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tigers putter is putting in work today!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lol Bryson broke his driver

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After day 1

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently ESPN+ has coverage from the first tee to the last putt (at least on Thu/Fri). So much golf!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mattfl posted:

Lol Bryson broke his driver

So I got a question about this.

I read an article stating it was a "local rule" that allowed him to replace it with a spare.
What in the hell is a "local rule" for a major equipment exception like that during tournament play?

I thought local rules were things like "the parking lot is out of bounds but the equipment shed driveway isn't", not "Just do whatever with your bag, also c'mon man, it's Mike that's a gimmie from 8 ft we all know that"

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

So I got a question about this.

I read an article stating it was a "local rule" that allowed him to replace it with a spare.
What in the hell is a "local rule" for a major equipment exception like that during tournament play?

I thought local rules were things like "the parking lot is out of bounds but the equipment shed driveway isn't", not "Just do whatever with your bag, also c'mon man, it's Mike that's a gimmie from 8 ft we all know that"

It wasn't a local rule, it's a PGA rule that allows for a club broken during the normal course of play to be replaced. If he smashed it on the ground and broke it he would not have been allowed to replace it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Douchebag posted:

It wasn't a local rule, it's a PGA rule that allows for a club broken during the normal course of play to be replaced. If he smashed it on the ground and broke it he would not have been allowed to replace it.

"Starting in 2019 this is a local rule that’s in effect for the Championship"

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/08/06/bryson-dechambeau-broken-driver-pga-championship-tpc-harding-park.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It's a local rule, but not like the parking lot exception. There are a group of rules that are not automatically in play unless adopted at the location or tournament. This is one of them.

Another is the 2 stroke penalty for lost ball instead of stroke and distance.