Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Star System Summary:

:) Timber Hearth: Breathable atmosphere, abundant trees and water, comfortable gravity
:black101: Brittle Hollow: Unstable shell of a planet around a black hole under natural volcanic artillery fire
:black101: Giant's Deep: Endless hell tornados that regularly lift islands briefly into orbit
:black101: Hourglass Twins: Baking hot surface or cave system regularly filling with crushing sand
:black101: Dark Bramble: Unnavigable non-Euclidean plant maze staffed by hatefish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anglerfish! Those things scared me shitless and they're extremely effective at ramping up pressure in the otherwise chill and majestic Dark Bramble - given the line of sight, you can just never know where they're going to pop up from.

There's one thing I really dislike about them but that's gonna have to wait until after you manage to discover that anti-anglerfish technology you mentioned...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Man, I do not understand how you're so willing to die to oxygen loss. Anytime my O2 dropped below 30-40% I'd start hearing the Sonic underwater music in my head and feel the need to dash back to the ship. :sweatdrop:

I think it just seems so futile to me at that point that I'd rather start over and have more time. Our character seems okay enough with being caught in a time loop that I think he might feel the same way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fedule posted:

Star System Summary:

:) Timber Hearth: Breathable atmosphere, abundant trees and water, comfortable gravity
:black101: Brittle Hollow: Unstable shell of a planet around a black hole under natural volcanic artillery fire
:black101: Giant's Deep: Endless hell tornados that regularly lift islands briefly into orbit
:black101: Hourglass Twins: Baking hot surface or cave system regularly filling with crushing sand
:black101: Dark Bramble: Unnavigable non-Euclidean plant maze staffed by hatefish
Dark Bramble is so much worse than the rest of them

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There were a few things in this game that were tickling my brain about another game, and I realized it was The Solus Project. I was about to say that Outer Wilds has a lot less survival horror in it, but you've gone and shown that it at least has some.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

You're starting to adopt my eh-it's-good-enough controlled crash style of landing. This pleases me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Any landing you can walk away from right?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Fedule posted:

Any landing you can walk away from right?

And with the time loop, that's extremely easy to do!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
If the gravity is zero, you don't even need to land. Just keep it floating still somewhere.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

If the gravity is zero, you don't even need to land. Just keep it floating still somewhere.

I've thought about doing that, but it terrifies me. I keep thinking that something is going to slightly bump the ship, and I'll lose it. I keep forgetting that I'll get it back after 22 minutes.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! I love how this game does things, and that's not sarcasm.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh man, the feeling I was getting while y'all messed with the Quantum Moon Locator is why I ended up loving this game. It's just so good at giving you that sense of discovery.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

OOrochi posted:

Oh man, the feeling I was getting while y'all messed with the Quantum Moon Locator is why I ended up loving this game. It's just so good at giving you that sense of discovery.

It was honestly my favorite part of the game so far. The quantum stuff is so excellent.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I really like the way you two play because it jibes with what I'd do. Not a lot of shouting at you through the screen--just a nice vicarious playthrough. :3: I can't wait to see what else you discover!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9: Part 9 is up now! Unfortunately, we lost a group of recordings to a failed hard drive, so we didn't go into a lot of this stuff blind. But we did discover things that we hadn't noticed the first time!

Hirayuki posted:

I really like the way you two play because it jibes with what I'd do. Not a lot of shouting at you through the screen--just a nice vicarious playthrough. :3: I can't wait to see what else you discover!

We really appreciate the kind words. :-D Yeah, we try not to be super over-the-top, or anything, we want the experience to be as authentic as possible.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
That's a real bummer about the lost footage, but at least you're caught up! When you were in the High Energy Lab the first time, did you look at the mural on the wall?

I think there's a little bit of desync between the commentary track and the gameplay later in the video.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

That's a real bummer about the lost footage, but at least you're caught up! When you were in the High Energy Lab the first time, did you look at the mural on the wall?

I think there's a little bit of desync between the commentary track and the gameplay later in the video.

Ugh, I swear, this playthrough is cursed. We'll look at the video, I hope it's not too bad.

You know what? I think we may have missed the mural. We were so panicked by the sand (we just *barely* made it, I can't even tell you) that I think we were just trying to interact with what we could see.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Ugh, I swear, this playthrough is cursed. We'll look at the video, I hope it's not too bad.

You know what? I think we may have missed the mural. We were so panicked by the sand (we just *barely* made it, I can't even tell you) that I think we were just trying to interact with what we could see.

Clearly the Nomai missed out on replicator technology, just toss something in the black hole, have the duplicate come out the white hole and then pull the original back, presto, instant replicator. Sure it takes the power of a city to run, but when you are able to build black holes, that doesn't seem like too much of a challenge.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You didn't, strictly speaking, miss talking to Gabbro about meditation; that conversation becomes available when you talk to him about the time loop in two different loops.

It's a strange choice by the game to give you a permanent upgrade in this way, though I suppose it tracks in-universe. The thing is, it's really not obvious that it's there, and it's quite useful - although it's not usually very difficult to die in this game if you decide you need to.

I do think that as well as this there should have been a fast forward button you could use at will. That said, of course, the way they got the campfire fast forward to work is by disabling all rendering and allowing the game to literally run at 5x speed or so, so if that's what that took, I guess it's possible that having a visible fast forward might not have been feasible just on a technical perspective.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw hell, you two figured out the Quantum Moon so much faster than I did.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Several thoughts:

Bummer about the footage, but good recovery.

Good work on getting to the quantum moon. I tried it before learning the camera trick. I could navigate there fine, but, well, maybe you should try it with no camera and see. If you look at different planets on first launching you can often find it.

Your non-autopilot flying is like mine. You crash into the sun less often without it, but you have hard landings more often.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. There are some puzzle things that probably require a guide to figure out though.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. There are some puzzle things that probably require a guide to figure out though.

Every puzzle follows the Valve "watch-try-do" approach as far as I recall, only that sometimes the watch-try segments are distinctly separated from the do part, as we saw with the tower on Giant's Deep.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The puzzles aren’t too bad but there are a few that can be frustrating

I’m pretty sure I was able to do everything before I did the final part

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! It's time to see what's so special about this here Sun Station.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 10 is up now! It's time to see what's so special about this here Sun Station.

The video is private!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

The video is private!

It's fixed now. I don't know what happened, I made sure I changed it to public, and the button even changed to "Publish."

This whole playthrough is cursed, I swear.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That sure is one way to get through the cactus room.

By the way... you can totally land on the Sun Station manually. Trophy for it and everything. I'll post a little about it in spoilers. Alternatively don't read this and try and do it for real yourselves!

So we saw in this video one attempt that went awry in a pretty typical way, with the ship getting flung off into space at a speed the thrusters couldn't compete with. This isn't due to any control issue or any particular anomaly, it's just a consequence of how orbital mechanics works, and the reason this thing is so difficult in the first place. As observed, you can't lock on to the Sun Station (not until you're very close, anyway), so you can't just hammer the match velocity button and keep on playing like it's a floaty atmosphere-flight sim, you have to actually do a whole orbital approach on your own, approaching the Sun at a velocity comparable to the Sun Station's orbit and correcting until you align with it. You then have to - still manually - maintain that orbit while closing on the station, with the Sun's not inconsiderable gravity now in the mix. The game's also cheating a little at some of its stuff so the forces acting on you and on the Sun Station aren't quite behaving the same, with the result that you can't just cut all acceleration and maintain your orbit like the station can, you gotta be constantly maintaining the orbit. Too slow and you get melted, too fast and you get yeeted. Once you get close enough - you actually can kind of land the ship on the outside of the station - you unbuckle and drop out the hatch in the five or so seconds before those inconsistent forces pull the ship into the sun, situate yourself in the gap between the two modules without the helpful context of having jumped off of one of them to have a matching starting velocity and alignment, and manoeuvre into the hatch. This will of course lose the ship and you can't open the other hatch from the outside and since you didn't warp here the teleporter wouldn't be charged anyway, so this is pretty much a one way trip (I don't think it's actually possible to do all this and then leave, basically)..

This game!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'm glad I can experience the game vicariously through these! Can't enjoy the supernova timer, but watching others play is much more fun.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Okan170 posted:

I'm glad I can experience the game vicariously through these! Can't enjoy the supernova timer, but watching others play is much more fun.

You know, I didn't like the timer at first, either, but I like the feeling of it here, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because it's part of the story, maybe it's because it's done well, but I don't mind it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

You know, I didn't like the timer at first, either, but I like the feeling of it here, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because it's part of the story, maybe it's because it's done well, but I don't mind it.

I think what really makes it work is how tightly the spaces are designed around timers. There's a few "major" expeditions you go on during the game (High Energy Lab, Southern Observatory, Sun Station to name a few) and each one takes a lot less time to actually complete than you'd think, and many are set up so you can't actually do them if you don't have the time to complete them (though you managed to break the Sun Station by impaling yourself to show up late). I think there's only really one major exception to this (which I don't think you've visited yet), but the consequence of this is that you almost always choose to dedicate a single loop to a major expedition, making it unlikely that they'll find themselves in the middle of a lore dump they'll find hard to return to when End Times starts playing.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, everyone seems to be okay with it. It was so bad for me that I just spoiled the game for myself realizing I can't really play it and enjoy it. I still like the story, and imagining Im experiencing it while others play it is about as close as I can get. Some players can take the loop as a continual thing, but it just felt like being slapped back to the start was actually very frustrating, especially after jumping puzzles and things like that. I've read tons about how great the mechanic is and how its a metaphor for accepting death etc... and I get it I just hate experiencing it. I wish I could actually enjoy playing it, but its really not for me just with that one mechanic. Its a nice story, but not one that I'm willing to make myself miserable to finish out myself. At that point, I'd rather experience it as a movie then have to stress out over one or more timers constantly. (And I do stress out constantly over short ones)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There really isn’t much of a penalty for death in this game. It’s not that annoying compared to other games that punish death more. You just explore and then reset. Yes sometimes this means you may not be able to cover as much ground as you might want, but once you have gone to the different planets enough times you can do things faster.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Very impressive platforming through the cacti. You figured out the intended solution, but as you saw you can sometimes bypass those and do things another way.

And your reactions to the purpose of the sun station matched mine. I think I figured out the plan before getting there, but was horrified that they planned to blow up the sun.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now! Our cats are little bastards sometimes, but the edit that we had to make doesn't look bad.

Also, I really want to land on the Sun Station manually now, the more I fantasize about it.

idhrendur posted:

Very impressive platforming through the cacti. You figured out the intended solution, but as you saw you can sometimes bypass those and do things another way.

And your reactions to the purpose of the sun station matched mine. I think I figured out the plan before getting there, but was horrified that they planned to blow up the sun.

Thank you! I was pretty proud of myself, but yes, I'm really glad that there are multiple ways of getting things done.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Good video! Shame you didn't get a chance to make much progress, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Here's what you're missing, per request:

The Sunless City: There's two eye shrines in the game, one for each of the two Nomai Cities. You've only been to the one in the Hanging City on Brittle Hollow. (unless you did this in the lost episodes)
The Interloper: You missed an alternative exit from this room (link to part 9).
Tower of Quantum Knowledge: Everything that falls into the Black Hole comes out at the White Hole. Literally everything. You were so close!

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 8, 2020

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
"Bug" is a bit harsh, who's to say that the Quantum moon didn't jump a planet's width or so? All you were watching was some fog, and I suspect that looks the same whether you are entering or leaving the planet.

Outer Wilds isn't a platformer, while you can platform to get around some puzzles, as you did in the Sun station tower, it isn't ever required.

You are on the right track with Brittle Hollow's Tower of Quantum Knowledge, you just gave up on one path of inquiry a bit too quickly.

Mechanics-wise, you have seen most of demonstrations of the game's mechanics, there are only a handful I can think of that you haven't come across yet, one you've come very close to another has to deal with a channel on you signal scope you've been ignoring lately. With those two pieces of information, and some of the lore, you should be able to accomplish everything remaining in the game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I don't know if that is the exact blip you are missing for the sunless sea, but you sort of gave of on the lakebed cave on that planet after you couldn't find your way through it, because you got squished by the sand.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There is actually something on Hollow Lantern even if it isn’t much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Well, yeah. They went there this video.