Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Season 22 starts August 5th on CBS.

This is the Spoiler thread, so anything in the episodes or on the live feeds will be fair game!

It's the summer TV season again, which means it's time for Big Brother. So what is Big Brother?

Big Brother (BB) is the original and superior source of 24/7 voyeurism on American televisions. The weekly CBS show features footage taken from live feeds of the Big Brother House. What's the big deal about the house? It's a reality game show which forces 15+ people to live together in a house during the summer, all while competing for power to kick other people out of the house and thus out of the game. All with the goal of being the final House Guest selected as the best player and worthy of the $500,000.

The 90+ cameras in the BB house capture all manner of insanity and "reality" when it comes to the House Guests. Meaning what you see on TV is barely half the story. Massive amounts of plotting and scheming are never aired, allowing the TV editors to craft whatever story they want for the viewing audience. Only the feed watchers or readers get the best take on what's really happening in the house.

Interested in seeing the true story of Big Brother 22?

Various sites provide recaps and running updates submitted by viewers of what's going on:

Big Brother Network
HamsterWatch
Jokers Updates
Online Big Brother

CBS provides live streaming HD coverage through CBS All Access.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/live_feed/

If your cable provider offers Pop, you'll be able to watch "Big Brother After Dark" for two hours every night from 12:00-2:00 AM ET/PT seven days a week. This is another source for live feed viewing, sometimes offering different angles or a better viewing experience for that time window.

https://poptv.com/bigbrotherafterdark

The official website also provides live feed clips of content not seen on TV.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/

This season's twist/hook:

It's All Stars! For the first time since Big Brother 7, we're getting a full all stars season. This means the cast will feature winners, runner ups, fan favorites and second chances. In addition to All Stars, this year's theme is viral pandemic! Can the players survive in a world that has a viral apocalypse raging outside the confines of the house? Tune in to find out! "Once inside, they will be tested weekly during the season and have no contact with any crew members, and all supplies delivered will be disinfected. In addition, the live show will not have a studio audience. All staff and crew members will be tested prior to commencing work on a regular basis, as well as screened daily for symptoms. They'll be required to wear PPE and will work in pods to enhance social distancing. In addition, a COVID-19 compliance officer will be on staff to monitor and enforce all health and safety COVID-19 protocols."

Such a weird and frightening concept for a season! And who knows, maybe we'll get some special theme weeks featuring racism and sexism? It'll be a surprise!

FAQ:

Q - I bought CBS All Access and all I see on the Live Feeds is fish/trivia?
A - Though it is billed as 24/7, the live feeds will not run during several specific instances: Any time a competition is ongoing, any time nominations are held, legal requirements and/or for control booth interaction. Legal requirements can include when the houseguests start to sing, the HGs talk about a family member by name who didn't sign a release or some other legally grey area. Generally the booth will cut in to warn the HGs or provide some guidance for some ongoing issue.

Q - Is it even worth it to spend $$$ on the feeds?
A - With Big Brother part of CBS All Access, you get more bang for your buck. You'll get both the live feeds, access to the existing CBS library and new shows like the Star Trek series and The Twilight Zone. in addition to the feeds you'll have access to every episode of the U.S. edition of Big Brother, all for $5.99 per month. If you're wanting access to that library, it might help your decision. Otherwise also note that it appears the purchase is a recurring charge, so you'll need to cancel when the season is over.

Q - Can the feeds really make that big a difference in how you see an HG?
A - Ask anyone who watched previous seasons, this is pretty much rinse and repeat at this point. BB 21 being yet another sad example of this being a thing. Often times controversial statements regarding gender/race/sexuality never see the light of day on the broadcast show. Instead they are relegated to the live feeds only, and serve as the only way to really see what type of people the house guests are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Reserved for news and updates.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Of special note, we're getting a LIVE MOVE IN. Which should mean we get feeds fairly quickly. I'm sure they'll go down soon enough with the first comp being played though.

When was the last time we got a live move in on the main show, Big Brother 1? I can't recall that far back. I watched that season but that was so long ago. BB Over the Top did it, and it was a surreal experience as they came in one at a time. It was like people snuck on the lot and made their way into the empty sound stage after the season was over.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Warning, HUGE spoiler ahead.

The second place finisher for BB22 has already been leaked!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't know how I feel about Big Brother this year. Besides the quarantine and everything going on and the late start. A couple of months ago a young woman named Hana Kimura killed herself. She was a cast member on a BB like reality show called Terrace House and after a staged/edited fight on the show she got bombarded on social media and it drove her to take her life. It kind of made me do a lot of self reflection about my fandom and feed watching and some of the less good stuff I've said about HGs. I mean, I'm not tweeting any of it and I'm certainly not tweeting it at them. I think that poo poo's psychotic. But I've definitely said things about some HGs I'm not super proud of. And it makes me look back at even HGs I don't feel especially bad about calling bigots or abusers like Jackson and wondering if I can comfortably enjoy their "downfall".

I dunno. I always go through a period of "maybe not this year" so maybe that's just this being extended by quarantine. Its All Stars and feeds are like $6 so I'm sure I'll get them. I guess we'll see how it goes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Survivor and Big Brother social media is an enormous dumpster fire I avoid as much as possible. Even relatively positive communities like RHAP can get gross at times.

As much reality TV as I’ve consumed in my life, SA is the only place I discuss it. The subreddits and fan communities seem to attract all the unhinged weirdos. Less “I enjoy player X more than player Y” like in our threads, more deranged fantasies of inflicting harm on contestants and their families. It’s like all the posters are secretly Mike Boogie. :v:

Some of the stuff people were saying about Shelly during BB13 after she flipped on Jeff & Jordan was loving terrifying. I can only imagine it got worse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've seen some really insanely toxic obsessions directed at people like Big Meech or Raven. It seems like the fanbase really zeroes in on one HG every season and sets out to just kind of try and ruin their life. There's the thing where people say and do bigoted stuff on the show and people try and get them fired from their jobs. That stuff's real iffy. But then beyond that the fanbase just clearly enjoys targeting people and just getting unhealthy obsessions.

And like, while I don't really do that kind of stuff I do kind of find myself asking how much I do it in my own small way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I ran a BrantSteele simulation of the season with the rumored cast and :lol:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I am so loving excited.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Ian for the win. No one will have seen his season

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cast is supposed to drop tomorrow right?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Official hints seem to say yes. They still have a week to move in though, and with the current covid stuff, who knows if that will hold up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would assume / hope that they already have the cast in isolation somewhere? So they actually can be (more) confident they aren't sending someone in to get everyone sick? Really curious what plans they have in place if someone on the cast / multiple crew members end up getting Covid during the season?

Also, real interesting concept having Americans live in quarantine for 90 days... oh...

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I would assume / hope that they already have the cast in isolation somewhere? So they actually can be (more) confident they aren't sending someone in to get everyone sick? Really curious what plans they have in place if someone on the cast / multiple crew members end up getting Covid during the season?

Also, real interesting concept having Americans live in quarantine for 90 days... oh...

Supposedly the cast is currently in a full 2 week quarantine before moving in.

I think the cast should be pretty safe during filming. They're not going to be making direct contact with anyone outside of the castmembers for the duration of filming, so the only point of infection would be surfaces brought in by production (just food and challenge stuff, right?) and everything is supposedly being wiped down before entering the house. If someone on the cast does somehow get it they would certainly have to cancel the entire season (by the time they detect one person getting it, everyone will have gotten it) so they must be pretty confident in whatever set up they cobbled together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They do have a ton of crew members including ones walking in the walls all the time. Remember, its not a house. Its a tv studio designed to look like a house. With enough safety precautions I can see them getting through the season but like, you're dealing with a ton of people and trusting them to follow the rules and inconvenience themselves for others and a corporate business to keep it check. So who knows?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Paul confirmed he won't be playing, pulled himself out of the pool due to not being in a good headspace for the game and wanting to remain near his parents who apparently have surgeries scheduled in the near future. Cannot blame him. Allegedly there's also some unclear squabble about Derrick L. from 16 starting a group text and losing his spot because of it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ahh man schucks I'm so sad I won't have to hear about FRIENDSHIP constantly throughout the season!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Current scuttlebutt is that Josh and Kaycee are out. Leaves only Nicole and Ian as winners.

One of the surprising replacements is rumored to be Keesha, which would be fantastic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Keesha could be fun!

No Paul increases the odds the season might be watchable by a hundredfold. gently caress that guy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I think Hamsterwatch also reported the season will end at the end of October, making it 85 days long.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still not feeling like I want to do it this year.

No Paul helps a bit. Still a few potential terrible names in the mix though.

I don't know. I still might be fooling myself and sign up as soon as its real. And if its a live move in, yeah I could see me breaking out of curiosity for something genuinely different.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Teek posted:

Current scuttlebutt is that Josh and Kaycee are out. Leaves only Nicole and Ian as winners.

One of the surprising replacements is rumored to be Keesha, which would be fantastic.

Kaycee being out sucks, but is probably good for Tyler given all the drama that surrounded her on Challenge.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still not feeling like I want to do it this year.

No Paul helps a bit. Still a few potential terrible names in the mix though.

I don't know. I still might be fooling myself and sign up as soon as its real. And if its a live move in, yeah I could see me breaking out of curiosity for something genuinely different.

I think I speak for us all when I say we understand your desire to not do it, and would love it if you did. You're definitely one of the main reasons I can keep up with BB as much as I do.

All that said, if you need to be a filthy casual this year then we casuals welcome you with open arms.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

So glad Paul is out. Hope his parents are ok, but I never want to see Paul again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

No major confirmed news, there should be a media drop on some or all of the cast next Monday should everything go okay.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
I literally downloaded the stupid awful app and reset my password for my old email and for this account for this thread. Let's gooooo

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Another year, another ugly house redesign.

https://twitter.com/CBSBigBrother/status/1290382610573615104

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I like the HOH room.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I thought the house looked cool :-(

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=55726

Press release says four bedrooms? Converting the Pandora room into a bedroom? Or just keeping it as the HN room? Not sure where they’re getting their “for the first time four bedrooms thing”. Hasn’t Pandora been HN room before too?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s pretty fugly overall, but there were elements I liked.

At first it reminded me a lot of The Glass House, which isn’t really a good thing. Incidentally, Prime Time Alex Stein (#99 always on the grind) turned into a huge MAGA chud to the surprise of no one. Last I checked on Twitter he was super into the whole Ben Shapiro/TP USA scene of racist white guys wearing suit jackets. I liked him better when he was an attention starved moron stuffing entire Big Macs into his face or railing lines of Strawberry Quik like they were cocaine for attention on RHAP.

I didn’t like the graffiti at first, but they won me over huge with the “Floaters grab your life vests” Rachel tribute. Also loved the Brenchel pillow despite hating the rest of the showmance room. Very much hoping she’ll be back to claim her crown as the only two time winner in Big Brother history instead of merely being tied with Dan, Dr Will and Derrick for most all time wins.

The camera and key bedrooms are hideous. HoH was fine I guess, nice couch.

In summation:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Teek posted:

https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=55726

Press release says four bedrooms? Converting the Pandora room into a bedroom? Or just keeping it as the HN room? Not sure where they’re getting their “for the first time four bedrooms thing”. Hasn’t Pandora been HN room before too?

The article and video just show the 4 usual bedrooms. HOH, the open one (BB Comics?), the back one (Key room?), and the side one (Photo Room). I think they're just saying that they won't be converting the side one into a Have Not room. They could be lying because they promise stuff like that all the time and then its come when the feeds turn on, but we all kind of suspected Have Nots was dead with Jackson refused to do them and he let him get away with it and I doubt they tried to sell All Stars on it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

mallratcal posted:

I like the HOH room.

The loft windows on the roof do look pretty great.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think it look neat

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yay, finally confirmed that the feeds start tomorrow evening after the west coast airing of the premiere.

https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=55736

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh hell yeah that's awesome!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If I resub to CBS All Access can I stream the episode live there or do I need to make alternate arrangements for the episodes?

Gotta play around with my VPN and resub to CBS All Access for the live feeds.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I think most local cbs can be streamed through the app. Don’t hold me to that though.

Also for resubs, coupon code “more” will get your first month free.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Took a little monkeying with the VPN like usual but I’ve got my resub active and working beautifully on my Fire Stick HD so I’ll be able to watch the feeds on my big TV!

Finishing up my rewatch of BB10 with potentially Memphis and Keesha coming back. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Happy BB Day everyone! Hopefully this can wash away the bad taste of BB21.