Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The rioting minorities are just as bad as the racist capitalists you see

george soros is a capitalist...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Daisy ridley did nothing wrong though?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there is something of a dialogue check when it comes to cuno, you choose all the answers that don't refer to him as 'kid' and he goes from being an rear end in a top hat to a top-tier snitch.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

the retconning of bioshit with the infinite DLC is even funnier. oh oh noh no ayn rand is actually good it's not lolbertarianism that caused the downfall of rapture, it was time travelling magic alien ghosts that ruined it GOSH you guys you don't understand there was nothing wrong with Andrew Ryan!!!!!

lmao seriously?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Shear Modulus posted:

lmao seriously?

Ken Levine is a irl libertarian so it was probably him retouching an old story everyone else misunderstood. Similar to George Lucas

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

upgunned shitpost posted:

there is something of a dialogue check when it comes to cuno, you choose all the answers that don't refer to him as 'kid' and he goes from being an rear end in a top hat to a top-tier snitch.

you have to hit on his artistic side first i think and it does enough to have him talk about how loving terrified of Cunoesse he is

is there more to explore in that pair after that? i know Shivers gives you an idea of what they're planning, but is it possible to unlock anything more on Cunoesse?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Disco Elysium is the golden mean of child-killing in games. You can shoot Cunoesse, but it results in an immediate game-over

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zvahl posted:

bioshock infinite will be risible for decades to come, it is a paragon of schlocky writing and managed to prove that the game levine was involved in that came before it was an accident

I decided to check out entirely on the plot during the science ghost resurrection chase scene and was glad to have done so in the subsequent chapters

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A Russian troll farm posted:

Disco Elysium is the golden mean of child-killing in games. You can shoot Cunoesse, but it results in an immediate game-over

With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Epic High Five posted:

True but I did appreciate the more traditional boss fight they included with Chair

Haha I failed that and broke down crying so hard that I flustered the boss with my man tears which neither he or I could stop - and he spilled some of the beans.

By the way anyone here play ">Observer_"?
I stumbled across it and it looks pretty good. Polish blade-runner sci-fi dystopia with evil megacorp.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

smarxist posted:

you have to hit on his artistic side first i think and it does enough to have him talk about how loving terrified of Cunoesse he is

is there more to explore in that pair after that? i know Shivers gives you an idea of what they're planning, but is it possible to unlock anything more on Cunoesse?

Cunoesse is never really elaborated upon in any certain terms and I'm not sure how far you got with her but all signs point to her being some kind of undocumented person who lives on the margins based on how Cuno said she appeared, with no family or anything else found by Cuno in the hallway soaking wet and alone, and sleeping in the sewers even when Harry meets her. He is terrified of her but it's never really made clear if it's an extremely tough front she puts up to survive or not or how much she's internalized this new Cunoesse if Cuno is even convinced and yet still protective of her, and if you threaten to kill her she goads you to do it as though death would finally deliver her some peace.

She could also just be some speed freak who kills people who get in her way, too. Hard to say!

She's one of the more fascinating "reading between the lines" characters in the whole game and you've really gotta dedicate yourself to the hitting the bricks and talking to people aspect of being a detective to even get the idea that there's something there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VomitOnLino posted:

Haha I failed that and broke down crying so hard that I flustered the boss with my man tears which neither he or I could stop - and he spilled some of the beans.

By the way anyone here play ">Observer_"?
I stumbled across it and it looks pretty good. Polish blade-runner sci-fi dystopia with evil megacorp.

observer is cool but i checked out half way thru so cant comment beyond it looks good, has a cool world, and has puzzles i couldnt understand how to do.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cunoesse has absolutely murdered people before, when you get the chance to push her on it she squirms in a way that basically admits to it

augh! auuuuuugh!!!! :stonk:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Cunoesse has absolutely murdered people before, when you get the chance to push her on it she squirms in a way that basically admits to it

augh! auuuuuugh!!!! :stonk:

I got this as part of the itchio bundle and watched some streams and almost had a panic attack just spectating lol, no idea how people actually play it

I don't think it's out of the question she has, but it's all wrapped up in the new Cunoesse she had to create to survive and you can't really know if it's real or not because it's obviously so effective at making people fear her

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah I've had multiple levels where I finished and I had this clear image of how loving insane I would look to other people, playing a stress-based speed typing simulator for fun, especially when I do super hard poo poo for no reason

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Epic High Five posted:

I decided to check out entirely on the plot during the science ghost resurrection chase scene and was glad to have done so in the subsequent chapters

i tried to but i was having so little fun with the shooting and poo poo that I'm surprised I finished it

Bioshock 2 is the good one and it's not coincidentally the one that Ken was too good for, he was busy with infinite's 4th rewrite or something

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah I've had multiple levels where I finished and I had this clear image of how loving insane I would look to other people, playing a stress-based speed typing simulator for fun, especially when I do super hard poo poo for no reason

I spent 10 years working BoH in a full service short order kitchen that did dine in, drive thru, and takeout, and all this game looked like to me was Typing of the Dead on some kind of super nightmare mode.

Zvahl posted:

i tried to but i was having so little fun with the shooting and poo poo that I'm surprised I finished it

Bioshock 2 is the good one and it's not coincidentally the one that Ken was too good for, he was busy with infinite's 4th rewrite or something

it's really notable how poo poo the combat is and how little it makes up for the rest. I think I used 2 guns and 1 magic equivalent from start to finish because the rest were all just bad or unfun

Just a really awful game in every way. Every dull spot in the originals was livened up by the prospect of killing libertarians with bees but this didn't even have that

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

wilding drug cop take: cunoesse is one of the seven sisters of revachol that keep the city from consuming itself, like the pale swallows the isolas.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gotta say, a great accidental spoiler for me was that i came across a reference to dolores as harry's wife and was waiting for that twist all game, which makes the actual reveal that harry is just literally deifying her so much better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

I spent 10 years working BoH in a full service short order kitchen that did dine in, drive thru, and takeout, and all this game looked like to me was Typing of the Dead on some kind of super nightmare mode.

it's really notable how poo poo the combat is and how little it makes up for the rest. I think I used 2 guns and 1 magic equivalent from start to finish because the rest were all just bad or unfun

Just a really awful game in every way. Every dull spot in the originals was livened up by the prospect of killing libertarians with bees but this didn't even have that
Cook Serve Delicious is one of those games I really want ot like but I just can't because yeah it's basically super hotkey stroking TOTD stuff. It's super stressful but not always in a fun way. I got through a lot of CSD1 because the incremental curve of getting new recipes and upgrades was fun but at least very simple. I played a little bit of CSD3 and noped out early on after I started getting into recipes that require you to go through like 5 pages of different stuff, one page is about all I can muster.

on bioshit, yeah. it's weird i have a very fond love/hate relationship with it. I did play it in 2006 when it first came out and i took one of the first and largest bong rips of my life back then and got super dazed n confused wandering around the the hydro gardens and then around the weird stone-people artist stage and soaking in the atmosphere and that was still super loving memorable to me in the sort of sucked-in-awe of everything with my mind warping. And I absolutely loving love art deco aesthetic, so the rapture setting was really engrossing and magical to experience back then; however, the gameplay really was dated and garbage even when it came out and really the plot/characters is mostly boring and there isn't much in the exploration, so all you're really left with is some very good setting and a e s t h e t ic, which still to this day is very loving unique and i have to give it props for that but everything else is very mediocre.

i don't really remember much of BS2 except just constantly mashing freeze and then drillling poo poo, and the amusement park and slum set piece. also something about lambs and communism bad. minerva's den was a way better distillation of 2 and only like 4-5 hrs long.

infinite was irredeemable trash.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Aug 4, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

Cook Serve Delicious is one of those games I really want ot like but I just can't because yeah it's basically super hotkey stroking TOTD stuff. It's super stressful but not always in a fun way. I got through a lot of CSD1 because the incremental curve of getting new recipes and upgrades was fun but at least very simple. I played a little bit of CSD3 and noped out early on after I started getting into recipes that require you to go through like 5 pages of different stuff, one page is about all I can muster.

on bioshit, yeah. it's weird i have a very fond love/hate relationship with it. I did play it in 2006 when it first came out and i took one of the first and largest bong rips of my life back then and got super dazed n confused wandering around the the hydro gardens and then around the weird stone-people artist stage and soaking in the atmosphere and that was still super loving memorable to me in the sort of sucked-in-awe of everything with my mind warping. And I absolutely loving love art deco aesthetic, so the rapture setting was really engrossing and magical to experience back then; however, the gameplay really was dated and garbage even when it came out and really the plot/characters is mostly boring and there isn't much in the exploration, so all you're really left with is some very good setting and a e s t h e t ic, which still to this day is very loving unique and i have to give it props for that but everything else is very mediocre.

infinite was irredeemable trash.

Cooking Simulator is pretty fun in that regard, at least from the outside since I've only watched it so far waiting on a sale. Much lower stress and you can really gently caress around and have fun in ways that only really make sense if you have kitchen experience

Bioshock is carried by its aesthetic to a degree I think most wouldn't be willing to admit....there's much to say about the first two plot and gameplay-wise but they're controversial whereas the actual graphics aren't. Infinite? Extremely bad in all ways.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i thought everyone liked infinite

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

you thought wrong

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nobody liked Infinite. Some people were held hostage by its AAA playtime length

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok good that means i dont have to buy it or play it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nobody liked Infinite. Some people were held hostage by its AAA playtime length

i remember a year or so after it came out i was talking to a coworker who said she was almost through and thought it was okay. next shift she'd finished it and hated it entirely

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

naw it's generally panned by most people; however, capital G gaming journalists absolutely praised all over it and gave 2k/ken levine the most embarrasingly sloppy blowjob i've ever seen.

IGN 9.9/10 GOTY GAMESPOT 11/10 POLYGON 1000/10 GOTY GOATY GOTY PEEBODY AWARD WINNER HUGO MASTERPIECE OSCAR NOMINEE CANNES WINNING GAMES ALL-TIME BEST GAME EVER ALL AWARDS

(plz give us money 2K)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bioshock is boring as gently caress

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think it's out of the question she has, but it's all wrapped up in the new Cunoesse she had to create to survive and you can't really know if it's real or not because it's obviously so effective at making people fear her
Harry deduces that she became catatonic due to the traumatic experience of murdering someone for the first time. I feel like that's pretty explicit in terms of text whether she did it or not, it just depends on how much you trust Harry's experience as a cop.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Far Cry 3 was not nearly as bad but that also burned me on hype

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dumb forum fact: the only time I ever saw someone I knew IRL in a photo on here was one of high school friend's ex girlfriend, when she showed up in the cosplay thread in pyf dresssd like that lady from Infinite

she was also a super anti gay religious chud but who knows maybe she's different now

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

smarxist posted:

Not really. She's left a mystery. She could be just a dangerous kid or something supernatural or something in between as is the nature of things in magical realism stories.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

Harry deduces that she became catatonic due to the traumatic experience of murdering someone for the first time. I feel like that's pretty explicit in terms of text whether she did it or not, it just depends on how much you trust Harry's experience as a cop.

I don't think I got that with any of my playthroughs, I believe it tho, sounds like a way the characterization may go

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Good soup! posted:

Bioshock is boring as gently caress

i do think it stood out better for it's time, 2006 period was pretty bleak for pc gaming and that sort of mid- to late 00s was a nadir of gaming. if you tried to play it sometime post 2010+ you would have probably disliked it a lot more than if you had played it at release. that moment where you go into the lighthouse and get WELCOME TO RAPTURE through the boat into an immediate hellscape was genuinely very cool at the time. also if you aren't an art deco aficionado, then yeah it won't do anything for you but it's probably one of my favorite aesthetics. shame about the actual gameplay of the game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

does harry say that? I thought cuno did. iirc he thinks she's been in the *snuff milieus* that come up every once in a while, ie. she was forced to kill someone, probably another kid, presumably after being kidnapped/trafficked. (if you have real high encyclopedia it'll tell you that the Finnish she speaks is a language from the freezing Katla isola, which is basically as far away from Revachol as it's possible to be.) that's why she's so hostile and terrified of being taken away.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Cunoesse is jsut a broken kid. :smith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

reading about having a high encyclopedia just reminded me of the encyclopedia dialog when you read the book about the innocences lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think Cunoesse is jsut a broken kid. :smith:

I don't think anybody is arguing that this isn't the case

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shear Modulus posted:

They do, sa has a hilariously performative hate boner for it. It has like a 96% positive user review on metacritic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What I am getting here is that I should play Disco Elysium again. Maybe after I am done playing demon detective in imperial Japan.