Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Crossposting from the steam thread as Othercide dropped TODAY. :D

Okay! Time for an Othercidep Opinion Post. I've played it for 39 minutes and have a basic grasp on what it is.

The tl;dr: Othercide is a roguelike XCOM focused on metaprogression/currency that you use to unlock buffs and other cheaty bits so you eventually get strong enough through skills and metaprogression to win the game.

The story is, some lady in 1897 (ish) was fighting supernatural monsters when they killed her and now we're outside reality fighting against the incursion of an eldritch horror thing. None of this explained, though there is a codex in the menu where you can get hints and character bios. There's a heavy theme of remembering what this woman's life was like, and that impacts what the eldritch thing is, and why it's hunting her(?).

Gameplay is (so far) smooth XCOM combat where everyone has Action Points and if you conserve them that means you can move sooner. You can cast delayed attacks (and so can the monsters) that can be interrupted and such, or you can go for instant moves. There's also a Burst system where you can use double your AP to do a lot, but your next move comes waaaay later. The tutorial really encourages combos and thinking about how to effectively crush your foes. That said, while the UI shows you and tells you what enemies will do next, I haven't seen a damage estimate (yet?) so there's that element of randomness. And you can miss, but it's not xcom common.

You deploy three units per fight, and fights are kind of wave-based - the first two missions were kill [x] units so the rest will spawn in, then kill them.

Units can gain traits - one of mine is arrogant so she gets a XP minus modifier and critical hits up - and be leveled up and taught new skills (but not many). You can equip skills with power-up boosts so they hit harder or whatever.

The structure seems to be deploy to do mission -> level up/allocate power-ups -> sleep for a "day" to recharge folks -> do another mission, and eventually we'll hit a boss and then I think new stages as it repeats until the finale. There is also a button to reset your entire run at any time for meta-currency so you can buy new perks and stuff.

I have not experimented with units dying yet, but they can be revived? Nor have I done much else, this is all baby stages impression. But so far this is my jam and I'm really glad I went in knowing it would be a roguelike, as if I were expecting a linear thing that would bug me. Expectations!

...also pester me sometime to talk about Attack of the Earthlings, the other XCOM I've been playing lately, which goes hard the other way - linear campaign, heavy focus on puzzle solving and optimizing your run through a mission, and instead of moody atmospheric writing it's just bugs eating sci-fi corporate hell peons. Also it's short, whereas Othercide looks like it will not be.

e: Othercide is 35$ which I feel is a fair price for this kind of thing, but yeah, don't dip unless that all sounds exactly like your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Crossposting from the steam thread as Othercide dropped TODAY. :D

Okay! Time for an Othercidep Opinion Post. I've played it for 39 minutes and have a basic grasp on what it is.

The tl;dr: Othercide is a roguelike XCOM focused on metaprogression/currency that you use to unlock buffs and other cheaty bits so you eventually get strong enough through skills and metaprogression to win the game.

The story is, some lady in 1897 (ish) was fighting supernatural monsters when they killed her and now we're outside reality fighting against the incursion of an eldritch horror thing. None of this explained, though there is a codex in the menu where you can get hints and character bios. There's a heavy theme of remembering what this woman's life was like, and that impacts what the eldritch thing is, and why it's hunting her(?).

Gameplay is (so far) smooth XCOM combat where everyone has Action Points and if you conserve them that means you can move sooner. You can cast delayed attacks (and so can the monsters) that can be interrupted and such, or you can go for instant moves. There's also a Burst system where you can use double your AP to do a lot, but your next move comes waaaay later. The tutorial really encourages combos and thinking about how to effectively crush your foes. That said, while the UI shows you and tells you what enemies will do next, I haven't seen a damage estimate (yet?) so there's that element of randomness. And you can miss, but it's not xcom common.

You deploy three units per fight, and fights are kind of wave-based - the first two missions were kill [x] units so the rest will spawn in, then kill them.

Units can gain traits - one of mine is arrogant so she gets a XP minus modifier and critical hits up - and be leveled up and taught new skills (but not many). You can equip skills with power-up boosts so they hit harder or whatever.

The structure seems to be deploy to do mission -> level up/allocate power-ups -> sleep for a "day" to recharge folks -> do another mission, and eventually we'll hit a boss and then I think new stages as it repeats until the finale. There is also a button to reset your entire run at any time for meta-currency so you can buy new perks and stuff.

I have not experimented with units dying yet, but they can be revived? Nor have I done much else, this is all baby stages impression. But so far this is my jam and I'm really glad I went in knowing it would be a roguelike, as if I were expecting a linear thing that would bug me. Expectations!

...also pester me sometime to talk about Attack of the Earthlings, the other XCOM I've been playing lately, which goes hard the other way - linear campaign, heavy focus on puzzle solving and optimizing your run through a mission, and instead of moody atmospheric writing it's just bugs eating sci-fi corporate hell peons. Also it's short, whereas Othercide looks like it will not be.

e: Othercide is 35$ which I feel is a fair price for this kind of thing, but yeah, don't dip unless that all sounds exactly like your jam.

What's the anime tolerance level for this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

haldolium posted:

What's the anime tolerance level for this?

What does this question mean?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"How stereotypically anime are the character designs and the plot beats," I'm assuming. Personally, I think it's a lot more Tarantino than anime so far.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
If a person bothers to watch the trailer on Steam or Youtube this game, it's fairly clear that there's nothing "anime" about this game at all.

edit: Maybe Heavy Metal, tho.

I really, really hope that the game doesn't wind up being an overt allegory about fatal illnesses, or some such. That was my immediate beer-money bet on reading the premise and I hope it exceeds my trope-y expectations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I found this Othercide review enough to put me off the game, at least for now:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cublikefoot/recommended/798490/

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I found this Othercide review enough to put me off the game, at least for now:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cublikefoot/recommended/798490/

I bought this game and if I cared enough to review it, this review would sum up what I think.

It’s like xcom if you had to replay the first mission for 5 hours because your rookies all die at the end of the mission. The tactics part is fun, but you’re not progressing characters really, you’re grinding for currency unlocks to progress, and the grind is a long slog through the same missions/maps before you’ll be able to beat the boss to progress.

Also, the black/white/red aesthetic is neat, but adds to the slog after a few hours. I don’t think I’ll be able to put up with these elements to get through the first boss/chapter, much less the whole game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Othercide update: the ONLY two ways to heal your units is to sacrifice units of a similar level or higher into them, OR revive them from death, and revival tokens are rare.

"so get a bunch of benchwarmers" no, making a new unit costs 300 currency and you get 150 currency per battle.

AND your most powerful skills cost HP to use.

I am drat impressed by how this game goes all-out in going "no, gently caress you" with its systems. I haven't seen anything this hostile since Pathologic! I mean I'm enjoying it, but it's a huge paradigm shift from what the norm is in this genre. Mix with the grinding and the oppressive atmosphere and it feels like a nightmare.

All of which to say, I really like it! I don't know if I would have bought it for myself knowing what I know now, but as a gift preorder I'm really digging it and can't wait to see the boss and see how the game evolves as you get deeper in.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am drat impressed by how this game goes all-out in going "no, gently caress you" with its systems.
I'm very much on the fence when it comes to Othercide but this almost made me impulse buy it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Memnaelar posted:

If a person bothers to watch the trailer on Steam or Youtube this game, it's fairly clear that there's nothing "anime" about this game at all.

edit: Maybe Heavy Metal, tho.

I really, really hope that the game doesn't wind up being an overt allegory about fatal illnesses, or some such. That was my immediate beer-money bet on reading the premise and I hope it exceeds my trope-y expectations.

I'm terrible phone bound with no timeframe to watch videos so only saw screens.. which display quite a bit of anime influence.
Much better if that's all there is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Othercide sounds like the polar opposite of Troubleshooter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StrixNebulosa posted:

Othercide update: the ONLY two ways to heal your units is to sacrifice units of a similar level or higher into them, OR revive them from death, and revival tokens are rare.

"so get a bunch of benchwarmers" no, making a new unit costs 300 currency and you get 150 currency per battle.

AND your most powerful skills cost HP to use.

I am drat impressed by how this game goes all-out in going "no, gently caress you" with its systems. I haven't seen anything this hostile since Pathologic! I mean I'm enjoying it, but it's a huge paradigm shift from what the norm is in this genre. Mix with the grinding and the oppressive atmosphere and it feels like a nightmare.

All of which to say, I really like it! I don't know if I would have bought it for myself knowing what I know now, but as a gift preorder I'm really digging it and can't wait to see the boss and see how the game evolves as you get deeper in.

I'm getting flashbacks to Massive Chalice where enemies can age your soldiers decades and permanently drain hard-earned levels from them because the game is being lovely and unbalanced ~on purpose~.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I have to say I am loving othercide.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

haldolium posted:

I'm terrible phone bound with no timeframe to watch videos so only saw screens.. which display quite a bit of anime influence.
Much better if that's all there is.

Othercide looks way more like something out of Heavy Metal, I think the artists are Belinski fans too.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I became super interested in Hellpoint after watching some streamers play it. Seems to be a little AA Souls game with a sci-fi twist with a ton of areas to explore (which look the same but hey it's a space station). I wish I could figure out which console version to get as my PC is a toaster these days. Just a heads up though it's a little buggy and online is broken but the devs are definitely fixing things.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/628670/Hellpoint/

Also watched someone stream House on the Hill which is just 7 bucks and in Early Access. You're a thief and breaking into a house to steal a necklace but things get really weird while trying to get away.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1239050/House_on_the_Hill/

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Othercide looks way more like something out of Heavy Metal, I think the artists are Belinski fans too.

Yeah now that I looked at it properly it does. The white hair female figures just triggered the reflex, because too much on steam is these days.

Apologies for the unnecessary derail.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I became super interested in Hellpoint after watching some streamers play it. Seems to be a little AA Souls game with a sci-fi twist with a ton of areas to explore (which look the same but hey it's a space station). I wish I could figure out which console version to get as my PC is a toaster these days. Just a heads up though it's a little buggy and online is broken but the devs are definitely fixing things.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/628670/Hellpoint/

Also watched someone stream House on the Hill which is just 7 bucks and in Early Access. You're a thief and breaking into a house to steal a necklace but things get really weird while trying to get away.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1239050/House_on_the_Hill/

I've been really digging Hellpoint so far, is there a thread for it?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How does it stack against The Surge 1 / 2 ? I wasn't really impressed by the footage I've watched.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

The Protagonist posted:

I’m extremely interested in playing that! Which platform are you playing it on?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

PC, and while it does have some jank, it's the charming kind so far (upon death you ragdoll, and often times get the rapidly twirling stretch Armstrong singularity).

Can't compare it to Surge, never played those for some reason that put me off that I can't exactly recall now. No ranged weapons of any kind? Something about the Surge seemed contrived but I might have to revisit it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The Protagonist posted:

Seconding this question and also curious to know if anybody that’s made it farther than beginning bit can give me a better sense of enemy/weapon/armor variety.

I keep getting frustrated because I try to kill some of the stronger things that show up and then subsequently die to my own ghost repeatedly.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

I don't know and I was also looking for a generic souls-everything thread too. I'm giving up the guessing which console it runs better on and picking it up on XBX to play it safe.

My PC is too lovely to run it at 60fps so it was already steam refunded.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

The Protagonist posted:

PC, and while it does have some jank, it's the charming kind so far (upon death you ragdoll, and often times get the rapidly twirling stretch Armstrong singularity).

Can't compare it to Surge, never played those for some reason that put me off that I can't exactly recall now. No ranged weapons of any kind? Something about the Surge seemed contrived but I might have to revisit it.

I liked The Surge, first one more than the second. It’s like Dark Souls in a bleakly satirical high tech setting and it’s fun to cut things to ribbons in order to snap their parts onto your body.

Second one refined the controls a lot but the story became a lot more bland. Still fun, but less thematically intriguing, imo.
—-
Anyone have Hellpoint for PS4? I’m interested in hearing about performance there.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

burial posted:

Seconding this question and also curious to know if anybody that’s made it farther than beginning bit can give me a better sense of enemy/weapon/armor variety.

I keep getting frustrated because I try to kill some of the stronger things that show up and then subsequently die to my own ghost repeatedly.

I've gotten a ways in, past the first two bosses and now having real trouble on the 'third'*, though choosing some different paths might lead to different encounters. I straight up avoided those super-guardians in the main embassy causeway, they have the same kinda threat level as an early game black knight in DS1 but are easily outrun. It's clear we'll pass back that way again through one of the one-way gates later.

Melee weapon variety is good, only found four sets of armor so far but they're very distinct, and several unique head pieces. In addition there are body/head modules, augmentations basically. Enemies are bipeds for the most part, with a few notable exceptions, with plenty of distinct subtypes among them. I've only found a single projectile weapon so far, and no offensive 'spells', but I get the feeling I'm really just scratching the surface.

loving finally beat the Arisen Congregators holy jesus that was a pain solo. Probably be much easier with a friend or a focused build, I've got my points spread all over to try most of the equipment I come across.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

The Protagonist posted:

Very helpful stuff.

Thanks for the rundown! It sets my mind at ease a bit. I was getting a bit hung up because I figured that if I couldn’t take down those guardian dudes, I didn’t have a chance at defeating the boss yet.

I can’t seem to get the hang of parrying like AT ALL though, which is also driving me nuts. I tend to rely on that pretty heavily in DS (as well as more traditional/invincible backstabs) so I’ve got some adjustments to make.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

I've gotten a ways in, past the first two bosses and now having real trouble on the 'third'*, though choosing some different paths might lead to different encounters. I straight up avoided those super-guardians in the main embassy causeway, they have the same kinda threat level as an early game black knight in DS1 but are easily outrun. It's clear we'll pass back that way again through one of the one-way gates later.

Melee weapon variety is good, only found four sets of armor so far but they're very distinct, and several unique head pieces. In addition there are body/head modules, augmentations basically. Enemies are bipeds for the most part, with a few notable exceptions, with plenty of distinct subtypes among them. I've only found a single projectile weapon so far, and no offensive 'spells', but I get the feeling I'm really just scratching the surface.

loving finally beat the Arisen Congregators holy jesus that was a pain solo. Probably be much easier with a friend or a focused build, I've got my points spread all over to try most of the equipment I come across.

I just made it to the first boss and the performance/graphics seem fine so far on the XBX. Apparently this has local split screen co-op so I'll try that out later with the wife.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

burial posted:

Thanks for the rundown! It sets my mind at ease a bit. I was getting a bit hung up because I figured that if I couldn’t take down those guardian dudes, I didn’t have a chance at defeating the boss yet.

I can’t seem to get the hang of parrying like AT ALL though, which is also driving me nuts. I tend to rely on that pretty heavily in DS (as well as more traditional/invincible backstabs) so I’ve got some adjustments to make.

There's parrying!??

burial
Sep 13, 2002

The Protagonist posted:

There's parrying!??

I can’t find the original source of this information, but yes. If you regular block at the last possible moment, the enemy will be momentarily stunned - although it seems like even on the rare occasions when I pull it off, I get stunned too because there’s still a stamina cost for the block itself.

It was, to my understanding, added WAY late which is probably why it doesn’t have its own button or separate animation.

I really hope the team is able to push some patches out before too long. Also I hope I find a covering helmet quickly because the spawn’s face freaks me the gently caress out to look at.

burial fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 4, 2020

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Nice. I'm gonna keep my off-hand shooty bang bang, feels like bloodborne in the event horizon dimension.

Hot tip! I found out on accident there are in fact secret doors, they work like in DS2 with pressing X on it, sans prompt. Only found two so far. Met a friendly cenobite, found the first insight weapon so clearly I have to start leveling that up now.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I found secret doors too! but none that led to that douchebag behind the gate saying this is his house or whatever. The only reason I didn’t kill him through the bars is because I worried it would lock me out of something later.

And what’s with the red light float-bots?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Jeff and David did a first impressions vid for Hellpoint....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERPVMW_Z7sA&t=0s

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

burial posted:

I found secret doors too! but none that led to that douchebag behind the gate saying this is his house or whatever. The only reason I didn’t kill him through the bars is because I worried it would lock me out of something later.

And what’s with the red light float-bots?

I think online is somewhat working now because I found a glowing hand on the wall in the Embassy area which led to a secret door and another type of 3d printer and another secret door that had a key to another area!.

I think I'm going to put 5 pts into everything starting out. I found a hosed up squigly looking flesh helmet which I think is for magic users behind another secret door in another area.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think online is somewhat working now because I found a glowing hand on the wall in the Embassy area which led to a secret door and another type of 3d printer and another secret door that had a key to another area!.

I think I'm going to put 5 pts into everything starting out. I found a hosed up squigly looking flesh helmet which I think is for magic users behind another secret door in another area.

Is the Embassy secret door the one with the green flying things behind it? because I found that door but haven’t explored it fully yet.

So far I’ve just upped health, stamina, and strength because I figured a str build will never go awry (and I’ve somehow never played one in any of the actual souls games, because I’m usually all about the dex.) I imagine I might regret that down the line, but I have a mental defect where I keep restarting games even when I’m enjoying them for all kinds of reasons. It blows, but maybe it’ll serve me well here.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

burial posted:

Is the Embassy secret door the one with the green flying things behind it? because I found that door but haven’t explored it fully yet.

So far I’ve just upped health, stamina, and strength because I figured a str build will never go awry (and I’ve somehow never played one in any of the actual souls games, because I’m usually all about the dex.) I imagine I might regret that down the line, but I have a mental defect where I keep restarting games even when I’m enjoying them for all kinds of reasons. It blows, but maybe it’ll serve me well here.

I haven't seen that one.

The one I'm talking about is in the big area at the start with the little guys and elevator that alerts them all if you press the button.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Approaching Infinity is out!

quote:

A sci-fi turn-based, tile-based Traditional Rogue-Like of incredible scope, accessible to new players, challenging to experienced rogue-likers. Explore an infinite procedural open-world universe full of unique environments as you lead your ship and crew to victory or death. Okay, mostly death.

The neat thing about this one is that it's been out for at least a decade, but the dev got stuck with an rear end in a top hat publisher who forced him to sell it on their website for 40$ and as soon as he got free he put it on steam and now we can play it!!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's been out for at least a decade

Early Access hmmmm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dackel posted:

Early Access hmmmm

To quote the dev:

quote:

Why Early Access?
“Approaching Infinity is a complete game. But from my current perspective, it's the background for a substantially richer and more complex experience. Deeper interactions, superior stories. And you, the Steam Community, can help!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Approximately 6 months. I expect all true "errors" to be caught in the first few weeks, and then it's all just features, features, features!”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“Approaching Infinity is already a fully playable, winnable, lose-able traditional rogue-like game set in space.

Steam achievements still need to be finished, and trading cards too. I'd like to make lots of little quality-of-life improvements, and implement a 10th victory condition (there are already 9 different ways to win!)

Planned features include expanding planets, a built in shipwreck editor, geological events, more personal involvement between captain, crew, and aliens, etc.

But the real motivation to be in early access is all the interactions, quality-of-life improvements, and totally new ideas that the community will suggest.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Playable and addictive! Every item in the current feature list is enabled and working. There may still be some "divide by zero" errors lurking in the code, which is another reason to do early access for a while. Thanks in advance for those bug reports!”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes. Early Access pricing is lower, while full release will be higher. But nowhere near its all-time high :p”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“In the past I worked with a highly involved community, and together we implemented a LOT of new features; I want to do that again!

Approaching Infinity uses the written words, visual art, and level designs of hundreds of people. I want the Steam community to contribute planet names, poetry, short references, abstract art, and shipwreck levels that will be curated and added into the game.”

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Hellpoint also has some weird twitch integration too, so watch out if you stream.

edit: I just got booted from someone's stream for voting for "flip the screen" haha.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 5, 2020

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dackel posted:

Early Access hmmmm

A trad rogue-like is always under development or in early access. Most of the classic ones never got a 1.0 release even in the days before Early Access existed.

Rogue-likes have always been the laboratory in which gaming evolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I chaos-dunked Hellpoint in ~22 hours of gameplay time, according to my save file. Found a lot of interesting things, and even stumbled my way through an optional npc questline which leads to the true final boss. I missed one or two optional areas, and there are several threads of secrets I haven't sussed out. All in all it was incredibly refreshing to play a game of this style before everything has been completely cataloged and filed in a wiki. Tried looking up several things that didn't even yet have an entry, which was strangely satisfying.

Gonna dump some pieces of my trip report, in hopes it may be helpful:

The Eye Codes-

here are the ones I managed to find:
A Pattern Eye Two: 2602 9417
B Pattern Eye Two: 3898 9450
C Pattern Eye Five: 2856 5003
D Pattern Eye Three: 5440 3585
D Pattern Eye Five: 2029 5238
These are entered on the 3rd floor of the arcology elevator. I'm curious if these are the same for everyone or randomly generated per playthrough. Eye two, initially offline, can be activated somewhere in the alma matter underground, the entrance to which I never came across.

Mysterious Obelisks-
These teleport you to a mirrored version of the area they're in as a ghost, with a limited life timer replacing the orbital clock. You can find optional bosses which drop cool occult items, with some exceptions:

Entering obelisks just outside of two of the major cosmic deity bosses will allow you to talk to them and enter a pact to kill a rival god's minions for a reward. Heavy metal flame demon sends you to wack thespians, and the abyss god sends you after flame demon's guys. I didn't find an obelisk that lets you pact with the thespian puppet master, but I may have just missed it. Interestingly, killing the flame dude removes all of his minions from the world and replaces them with the thespians, as well as adding a bunch to areas they weren't in before. Pretty cool, but it also made the abyss pact impossible to complete so keep that in mind.

Architect's Quest-
This is the guy that left the shopping list in the observatory pointing to the Sohn district. You'll find him after the boss in a room above and to the right of the tram that goes to Innosun Port. He won't say more until you find specific information, which you can find in the library beyond the park connected to alma mater atrium. Bringing this back to him will start a co-op mission to his old lab where you can get the omnicube turret program. Keeping him alive through this (I don't know if he can die or not) will have him move to the observatory where he gives you two more tasks. Completing those will let you to talk to him one last time in the area just before the 'final' boss, making the true last boss accessible after the fight. Finding all this on the first play through just from some thorough exploration was pretty gratifying.

Misc. NPCs-
In the observatory you can carefully drop down the center area behind the tech tables before climbing back up and finding a hungry victim npc. He will trade rare building materials for ration pacts you find.

Just after the cosmic beast fight across the arcology bridge through the central door you can find a computer which lets you interface with various mind cubes you find and get some lore dumps.

From the arcology elevator second floor, at the top of the spiral staircase just before the entrance to the alma mater atrium you'll find an obvious cenobite who exchanges boss weapons for their unique parts.

In the park you can find a friendly bro by a bonfire who teaches you the sit emote :sun: