Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjI0TdvVbqI

That's the voice of Sir Keith "I know it's pretty, lady Jane" David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
gargoyles was so extremely good no one gave a gently caress how they ended up in manhattan

the show's great, we just roll with it

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Ad by Khad posted:

gargoyles was so extremely good no one gave a gently caress how they ended up in manhattan

Yep. Fond memories watching it with my dad when I got home from school.

That, and Freakazoid, Animaniacs, and Batman - the Animated Series. :coolfish:

Gargoyles was the best though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't remember the plot of this show only that pretty much the entire cast of Star Trek did the voices.

Also even the intro doesn't make sense. Gargoyles being alive and doing a ton of crazy poo poo up until about the year 1000 probably would still be remembered by people let alone knowing "They're frozen in carbonite maybe check that out". I DUNNO IT JUST DOESN'T SEEM REALISTIC IS WHAT I'M SAYING

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Rewatched it years after it came out to see if it was still good or if it was only enjoyable for children. It was still good.
The way it played in a world where all myths were true was a bit like Alan Moore's 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' but with less self indulgence and more lasers.
Deserved a better final season than it got though.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
on one of the dvd box sets there is a clip from like a gargoyles convention and it was a big group of fans asking keith david to roar like goliath and then applauding him afterwards and I think about it like every other week because it was one of the funniest god drat things

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ad by Khad posted:

no I remember, it was the rich guy
he was like their shredder except whenever he lost instead of being foiled it always turned out that losing was actually part of his plan

the curse was that they'd remain in stone until the castle "rose above the clouds", so just to see if it was true he purchased it and had it moved to the top of his skyscraper

e: I just realized it might seem like I'm shitposting but seriously this was the plot

Cubone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 3, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dont know whether to put gargoyles audio into requiem for a dream or requiem for a dream audio into gargoyles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This show was actually good

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It's weird because I definitely remember that it was good but retain no details about it at all. It was on TV here when I was about 10 years old I reckon. But the intro video did bring a good nostalgia rush on, so it's definitely buried in there somewhere. Good thread OP

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like that they just kept adding more and more TNG cast members to the show every season

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

NO DWIGHT SCHULTZ = NO WATCH ZONE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hammerite posted:

It's weird because I definitely remember that it was good but retain no details about it at all. It was on TV here when I was about 10 years old I reckon. But the intro video did bring a good nostalgia rush on, so it's definitely buried in there somewhere. Good thread OP

It's legit good. Also weirdly longform. More so than like :lost: or :bsg:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
it was ok

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Big Beef City posted:

I don't remember the plot of this show only that pretty much the entire cast of Star Trek did the voices.

Also even the intro doesn't make sense. Gargoyles being alive and doing a ton of crazy poo poo up until about the year 1000 probably would still be remembered by people let alone knowing "They're frozen in carbonite maybe check that out". I DUNNO IT JUST DOESN'T SEEM REALISTIC IS WHAT I'M SAYING

it's macbeth for children

probably cuz you don't have to pay Shakespeare royalties

e: even down to just throwing in macbeth characters https://gargoyles.fandom.com/wiki/Weird_Sisters

"call them, gently caress i don't know, the 'weird' sisters or something"

god i forgot all of this since 1994? 96? whenever

quote:

Macbeth's only superhuman ability is the gift, or in his case curse, of immortality placed upon him by the Weird Sisters. As a result, Macbeth is immune to any further aging, disease, and cannot be killed through conventional means. The only way Macbeth can die is if he is killed by Demona, or if he himself kills Demona.

Even though Macbeth appears to be middle aged, having sacrificed his youth to restore Demona's as part of the pact he'd made, he is an exceptional athlete in peak physical condition. He is also an extremely formidable combatant, both armed and unarmed. Even though he has no superhuman physical abilities, Macbeth's skill and physical conditioning allows him to hold his own against much stronger opponents such as Demona, Goliath, or any of the other Gargoyles he has encountered. Due to his extended lifespan and the vast fortune he has amassed over the centuries, Macbeth has become well versed in sorcery and various areas of science and technology as well.

yeah, they were realllll high writing this show

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 3, 2020

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Loved the tie in with the Arthur legend and Pan and all that stuff.

They also had some crazy future time travel stuff that was pretty cool too.

bomb fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 3, 2020

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liked pelswick (:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gargoyle deez nuts

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the evil girl gargoyle smashing petrified humans in nyc was the most psycho thing they ever broadcast in a kid's cartoon block

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The arc with the items that have magic powers equivalent to a god was pretty cool, although I have no memory of the actual ploy

E. It was the “eye of the storm” episode and the object was the “wye of Odin” (literally)

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 3, 2020

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

up until recently i owned the gargoyles board game that came with the vhs :smuggo:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I remember renting the movie and it had this weird poo poo in the back that was for a board game or something that was supposed to come with it. Of course the rental copy didn't have any of that so it was just fuckin' confusing.

hard counter posted:

up until recently i owned the gargoyles board game that came with the vhs :smuggo:

e;fb sorta

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

your lovely cartoon from your childhood sucks op, much like the band sublime

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

it's macbeth for children

probably cuz you don't have to pay Shakespeare royalties

e: even down to just throwing in macbeth characters https://gargoyles.fandom.com/wiki/Weird_Sisters

"call them, gently caress i don't know, the 'weird' sisters or something"

god i forgot all of this since 1994? 96? whenever

yeah, they were realllll high writing this show

I'm gonna be straight w/you.

That doesn't sound like the plot to Macbeth to me

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Since they don't convey rainwater away from the sides of the buildings, they are technically grotesques.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's the difference between a gargoyle and a golem

nut
Jul 30, 2019

periodic reminder that Goliath from Gargoyles fronts sublime now

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Cubone posted:

he was like their shredder except whenever he lost instead of being foiled it always turned out that losing was actually part of his plan

the curse was that they'd remain in stone until the castle "rose above the clouds", so just to see if it was true he purchased it and had it moved to the top of his skyscraper

e: I just realized it might seem like I'm shitposting but seriously this was the plot

while I believe you, I want to see a Jonathan Frakes Fact Or Fiction on this Jonathan Frakes twisted supervillain

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

What's the difference between a gargoyle and a golem

Ya gotta tell a golem what to do, they don't do poo poo without commands, like a robot.

And gargoyles aren't really mythical creatures, they represent a dragon that some christian dude in france supposedly killed like a thousand years ago.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

nut posted:

periodic reminder that Goliath from Gargoyles fronts sublime now

Lol really

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I agree that it was sublime, as in, not as good as a lime

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I like that they just kept adding more and more TNG cast members to the show every season

Not just that, but Kate Mulgrew was Titania before she was Janeway

Gargoyles owns

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I think I saw some of the show at our neighbor's house. Enjoyed it. Should rewatch, does it hold up?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

I think I saw some of the show at our neighbor's house. Enjoyed it. Should rewatch, does it hold up?

Surprisingly well, yeah

It's not perfect but it's drat good. Some really cool poo poo.

I still think about the gray goo nanite episode somewhat frequently

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Surprisingly well, yeah
I still think about the gray goo nanite episode somewhat frequently

Can you elaborate?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

Can you elaborate?

It was my first exposure to the idea of an unstoppable tide of self-replicating nanites and it was on a show I loved and the visuals basically became the prototypical example of that horrifying concept to me

Shades of Tony Stark nanite suit in that ep too.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I loved it as a kid. Watched a few episodes with my kids a week ago and it’s held up, though this far out I was struck by how clearly it was a response to Batman: The Animated Series. But two great shows that influenced millions of kids is pretty much a rising tide that lifts all boats, so yay.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cubone posted:

gargoyles owns

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gary oldmans diary posted:

i dont know whether to put gargoyles audio into requiem for a dream or requiem for a dream audio into gargoyles

i know it's pretty, baby, but i didn't take it out for air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Linux Pirate posted:

Since they don't convey rainwater away from the sides of the buildings, they are technically grotesques.

:eyepop: