Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is a cynical take, but I've always thought we'd finally get a gay Disney film the second it becomes financially beneficial to do so, and I think homosexuality has become mainstream enough that a movie with a gay protagonist would be significantly cost effective enough to become a reality.

China, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

China, though.

It's time to stop blaming China. Disney has pulled media from Disney+, which wasn't even available in China, over the presence of LGBT content. It's an excuse.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

This is a cynical take, but I've always thought we'd finally get a gay Disney film the second it becomes financially beneficial to do so, and I think homosexuality has become mainstream enough that a movie with a gay protagonist would be significantly cost effective enough to become a reality.

that puts them in a tough position because they’ll have to admit their first lgbt characters are all side characters with little screen time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, Disney 100% uses China as an excuse in the states for their conservative decision making and even in China queer baiting or straightwashing adaptations of things that were super gay has entered mainstream because online media with gay content has grown extremely popular.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Pick posted:

It's time to stop blaming China. Disney has pulled media from Disney+, which wasn't even available in China, over the presence of LGBT content. It's an excuse.

What sort of stuff have they pulled?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was that Love Simon tv show that they were gonna put on Disney+ but then moved it to Hulu either the day of or last minute.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Lizzie Maguire reboot was shelved and it had LGBTQ characters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Diary of a Future President has gay main characters, I think?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The Lizzie Maguire reboot was shelved and it had LGBTQ characters.

Lizzie was pulled because Hilary Duff and the director wanted to have Lizzie be a mom and have adult issues so the show would grow up with the fans. Disney wanted it just like the old series with teenagers and whatnot so they shelved it. Hilary posted on social media hinting at she wanted them to just put it on Hulu if they're scared of adult things.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Harley Quinn is up on HBO Max. Halfway through the first episode and it's as good as everyone says it is.

Kung-Fu Panda 1 & 2 are up there as well. I'll finally watch those :P.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Please do. They're very, very good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1289513114476609536

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
well to be fair, if spongebob got coronavirus that would be the end of our civilisation

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kind of fitting since the film was made in Canada, at Mikros in Montreal. I know people who worked on it, though I hope they don't go to cinemas to see it in theaters as Quebec still has the highest covid cases in the country.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kung Fu Panda 2 is a real darn good movie and even if you just like kung fu films and hate animation and things aimed at children is 100% worth watching because the fight choreography and narrative structure is on point start to finish.

Kung Fu Panda 3 should be banished to the Shadow Realm

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I dunno, Kungfu Panda 3 might not be as good as Kungfu Panda 1 and 2, but I really don't think it's bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh Tangled is really good and it makes a nice combo feature with Frozen and between this and the past gauntlet of Disney films' focus Luca's got work to do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't get into KFP2 although it's fine, but KFP1 is absolutely in my top-tier animated films.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pick posted:

I can't get into KFP2 although it's fine, but KFP1 is absolutely in my top-tier animated films.

Strongly agree

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also George of the Jungle is good clean fun and I think an example of making a live-action version of a cartoon that is just a fun time to be had by all.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Also George of the Jungle is good clean fun and I think an example of making a live-action version of a cartoon that is just a fun time to be had by all.

I have yet to meet a single person who hasn't enjoyed watching George of the Jungle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"And they looked upon the mountain with awe."
"Awwwwwww :3:"
"No, AWE. A. W. E. AWE"
"*Everyone gasps reverently*"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'll go to bat for KFP3 every time, it has a great villain who has great theme music and cool weapons

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I have yet to meet a single person who hasn't enjoyed watching George of the Jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNXy3z_NfCI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also that theme song is a banger.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think the spongebob movie stole a shot from my thesis but I'm waiting til it comes out to be sure.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Post on Pandora!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kung Fu Panda is in my top 5. It’s a very good movie!

In no particular order:
Kung Fu Panda - I love kung fu movies and this is the perfect homage to the genre. Tai Lung’s escape is one of my favored scenes from any movie. (The sequel is good, too, but definitely weaker. Gary Oldman’s amazing performance as Shen really holds the whole thing up.)

SpiderVerse - might be my fav of the lot, it’s drat near a perfect movie. I literally don’t understand people who don’t like it.

Tangled - I absolutely adore this movie, especially how it explores themes of familial abuse and reclaiming agency for oneself. It’s easily the best of the “modern” 3d Disney films.

The Iron Giant - Soop Er Man. Also, the delivery of “we’re going to die, Mansley. For our country” is perfect. The General is the best.

And I honestly can’t pick for the fifth spot. It’s a multi-way tie between The Incredibles, Lion King, Aladdin, Paranorman, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Also in no particular order:

Beavis and Butt-head Do America
The Secret of NIMH
Aladdin
Ratatouille
Akira

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Tangled - I absolutely adore this movie, especially how it explores themes of familial abuse and reclaiming agency for oneself. It’s easily the best of the “modern” 3d Disney films.

I know I’ve mentioned the Tangled animated series a couple of times before because I absolutely love it, but I particularly love the ways it furthers these themes instead of just retreading them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Tangled series is so much better than the movie (which, ftr, is also good) it's scary. I wish they'd give that treatment to Moana or Brave.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's sad how much the series got jerked around even when it's so good, I love Cassandra and her arc.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
If The Little Mermaid-Tarzan is the Disney Renaissance, I think that The Princess and the Frog till now should be referred to as the Disney Enlightenment.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
That's actually what the renaissance should be called. The actual renaissance was from roughly the thirties to the forties.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They have official names, the movies from Bolt onwards are the Revival era

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Chicken Little is better than Bolt!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FunkyAl posted:

Chicken Little is better than Bolt!

So objectively wrong and laughable, lmao, get the gently caress out

Also what is it with Don Bluth and bird throats? Both Rock-A-Doodle and Thumbelina start with a zoom into a bird's mouth complete with vibrating uvula

Gotta go back and check the bird mouths in NIMH and American Tail now 🤔

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm sure pepple and the penguin has a scene like that as well.

Chicken Little is such a mean and ugly movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Don Bluth really really wanted to get bird-vored