Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Adun posted:

I’m sure this is old news for everyone here but holy hell Phyrexian Obliterator is so much fun to play with.

It’s so funny if you run it with fight effects lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

It’s so funny if you run it with fight effects lol.

Yeah there's always some doofus who grows like a 12/12 creature without leaving up mana to hexproof it.

Here's a sample with some historic Fight cards: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3056495#paper

Back for More is particularly heinous.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In a similar vein, Justice Strike is a fun counter to Obliterator shenanigans.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm done with Theros quick draft, I've gone 1-3 or 2-3 over the past 6 or so and I don't want to waste any more gems. maybe this format requires a patience and thoughtfulness that I don't have. I'm also rare drafting like a fiend but I still was consistently hitting 4-3 in m21 quick draft while raredrafting so idk. I wonder if I'd be doing any better if it was premier draft.

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 4, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my favorite obliterator moment was when I had four tiny gobbos out against one and oppo cast languish. I cycled a gem palm in response to zorch it and sacced all four of my dudes. nice languish bro.

next turn I cast Muxus and won

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
there is all sorts of weird poo poo on ladder right now, feels awesome.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
speaking of which chevill, bane of monsters is doing some work for me. shuts down a lot of aggro and the card advantage and life gain with bounty counters is a huge help in surviving the early game

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Klowner posted:

I think I'm done with Theros quick draft, I've gone 1-3 or 2-3 over the past 6 or so and I don't want to waste any more gems. maybe this format requires a patience and thoughtfulness that I don't have. I'm also rare drafting like a fiend but I still was consistently hitting 4-3 in m21 quick draft while raredrafting so idk. I wonder if I'd be doing any better if it was premier draft.

Your first mistake was quick draft

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
My favorite deck of recent standard was a somewhat janky midrange Bant Pod deck. It actually improved a little during ikoria before they nerfed companions and even then was a ton of fun to play that got to platinum without much trouble. After core 21 though when everyone jumped into ramp so hard it just couldn't get anywhere before an ugin showed up and wiped the board but now it feels like it has a little room to breath.

I can play my trash pet deck again and experience the joys of tuning it some more before several of its best pieces rotate out. Which is great because I’ve had my fill of all the limited formats on offer.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Oh hello bans,

MONO RED AGGRO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

They banned the card that can recursively chump block any attacker every turn while also gaining health and pinging face in the format with the least ways of exiling or trampling over it

Fuckin Wizard$$$$$!!

It's okay, my child. One day you too will discover that creatures with non-trample evasion exist!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

NaanViolence posted:

It's okay, my child. One day you too will discover that creatures with non-trample evasion exist!

Oh a first born? Dont mind if I do.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never had a problem with the cat when playing against the various flavors of Sacdos. The mayhem devils, firstborn, and oven are all way scarier.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

NaanViolence posted:

I've never had a problem with the cat when playing against the various flavors of Sacdos. The mayhem devils, firstborn, and oven are all way scarier.

Cool that you enjoy playing the subset of decks that it doesn't completely ruin, but other people like playing different decks to you.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Oh hello bans,

MONO RED AGGRO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Was it not? Have I been living a lie all along?? :confused:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

NaanViolence posted:

It's almost like the deck doesn't need cat then????

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NaanViolence posted:

So why does the ban matter, then?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

fadam posted:

So why does the ban matter, then?

The Schrödinger's Cat Cauldron thought experiment proposes that until observed the cat is both in the graveyard and in play therefore the ban matters and does not.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sedisp posted:

The Schrödinger's Cat Cauldron thought experiment proposes that until observed the cat is both in the graveyard and in play therefore the ban matters and does not.

Sounds like KCI loops

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mayhem Devil is significantly weaker in the format without an infinitely repeatable source of 2 sacrifice triggers and a life drain effect

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Oh poo poo if Teferi is gone does that mean Arclight decks have a chance to be viable now?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mat Cauthon posted:

Oh poo poo if Teferi is gone does that mean Arclight decks have a chance to be viable now?

Standard is the WILD west on ladder right now, with Sultai Ugin being the most common archetype I’m seeing in Bo3. Big Black with Karn is around, very cool deck. Yorion Value seems honestly just as strong, but it’s the most draw dependent deck in the format due to variance, IMO.

For Bo1, Mono-R and Mardu humans seems cool. I copied the Mardu humans list from the PT Top 8, but I have absolutely no idea how to approach sideboarding in that deck it looks held together with glue and string.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

The Klowner posted:

I think Flashback drafts definitely tend to favor people with a lot of experience in the format. The players with months of Theros experience will be more advantaged because the format's solved for them.

Compare your decks vs the ones that go 7-X. If they look worse, then your build is weaker. If they look around the same, then it's game knowledge (walking into traps, not understanding matchups, etc).

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Friend and I did a bunch of theros drafts for the first time the last couple days after having never drafted it and won 7, 4, 2, 1, 2, 5, 5

It’s a tough format to crack with bots, lotta terrible board stalls

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Worth trying for sure, if I play any standard it’ll be this. The other card holding back Phoenix was Narset but that’s much more narrow and frankly bad vs the field, and also doesn’t make interaction impossible when it lands.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
historic is now officially just old standard decks plus sometimes goblins now. which is fine but not what im looking for in an "eternal" format.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Time posted:

historic is now officially just old standard decks plus sometimes goblins now. which is fine but not what im looking for in an "eternal" format.

Do you think there’s a way for that to change or do you think it’s settled hmmmmm 24 hours after changes were made

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

uggy posted:

Do you think there’s a way for that to change or do you think it’s settled hmmmmm 24 hours after changes were made

i think the only way it changes is with additional anthologies and the remastered sets - hopefully they hurry and get kaladesh onto arena for actual interesting things to do

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
it would be cool if they could balance standard well so that people would always have a place to jam fair decks against one another and they could let historic be an arms race instead for a change of pace

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Time posted:

i think the only way it changes is with additional anthologies and the remastered sets - hopefully they hurry and get kaladesh onto arena for actual interesting things to do

Paradoxical outcome alone should create a new archetype. I assume among all sets there is plenty of support for it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Time posted:

it would be cool if they could balance standard well so that people would always have a place to jam fair decks against one another and they could let historic be an arms race instead for a change of pace

Actually I think you’ll find eternal formats are just a place to play a juiced up version of your favorite archetype and then complain loudly for bans for anything that’s good against said archetype.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ignoring the really dumb suggestion that the historic meta is settled this soon after the ban, i'd doubt that it's even settled enough for people to be done with teasing new decks out of the massive card release that was jumpstart

simple as that

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Marketing New Brain posted:

Paradoxical outcome alone should create a new archetype. I assume among all sets there is plenty of support for it.

This is one of the cards I was most specifically excited about! Kaladesh/revolt have a lot of cards that entire archetypes can be built around and I think is the most exciting of the recent ish sets they can add. I think whir could be a lot of fun as well

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Worth trying for sure, if I play any standard it’ll be this. The other card holding back Phoenix was Narset but that’s much more narrow and frankly bad vs the field, and also doesn’t make interaction impossible when it lands.

It definitely seems to have some legs. Plus there's probably a shot in the arm for it with stuff like Sprite Dragon and other new cards. Though there is a lot more incidental exiling and GY hate around these days that might keep it from being a top deck.

If nothing else it's fun as hell and that's enough for me.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

flatluigi posted:

i'd doubt that it's even settled enough for people to be done with teasing new decks out of the massive card release that was jumpstart

simple as that

This is wrong, basically every release has had at least a functional shell of the best deck played with in the first like 3-4 days since arena went wide release. The only exception so far has been kethis coming on the scene late

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I played Historic for an hour during a phone meeting today and ran into nothing but W/x Auras and Goblins 🤔 I thought all these bans were supposed to give us midrange paradise?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

I played Historic for an hour during a phone meeting today and ran into nothing but W/x Auras and Goblins 🤔 I thought all these bans were supposed to give us midrange paradise?

i hope the auras deck is good because its fun, but I feel like it probably isnt

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Playing burn I saw nothing but Gobs all day yesterday, but I got some Yorion and Breach this morning.

e: Also, August state of the game.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-august-2020-04

Nothing too wild. Amonkhet Remastered previews starting soon, I guess, but the link is dead. Premier draft and Sealed to start. They're starting up a "pre rotation Standard" queue of just Thrones forward. A few brawl bans coming, plus they're going to experiment with a queue-algorithm to force all the 5c-Niv players to only play against each other.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

Ive only played it a little bit but I think UW Auras is actually pretty good lol. I’d play it against almost anything in the format and feel okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just installed Nvidia NOW because someone from the Historic discord said they play arena on their android with it.

I played a test match against a bot on my pixel 3a. I would agree that it's pretty usable, I would not be shy playing against humans this way once I get used to the UX a bit more.

Time posted:

I think the deck is both good and not very fun; I have nearly all the cards but have not been able to bring myself to put it together. WU seems better than straight W to me, both are fairly obnoxious, and I am in the process of tweaking Nasif's latest UW list to have a somewhat better matchup there.

Fadam posted:

I think these bans were just supposed to get rid of Wilderness Rec decks and also make interaction more possible. Neither of those things is much of a shot in the arm for midrange.

I think midrange is dead as long as ramp is tier 0, auras is tier 1, and gobbos and gruul are tier 1 / 1.5 with a handful of control decks also floating around 1.5. Ramp (and control) having access to FotD nearly free as a late game value engine seems to give midrange a hard time. So does getting muxus'd on turn 3 or Ugin'd on turn 5.

To which I say, thank god, let's play the real aggro/combo/control archetypes, and leave midrange trash for Standard. I realize that may not be a very popular opinion.

Gruul, lacking BBE, is probably the closest thing we have to a playable midrange deck right now, but it's kinda silly to call something that's trying to t4 you a midrange deck. Knights and vampires seem real bad. Elves seems like a worse Goblins deck, though it does have an actual midrange plan, with Vivian, lords and Beast Whisperer. The tokens decks often win on a sorta midrangey clock, but they're just craterhoof decks, they are midrange in the same sense that Legacy Elves is (which is to say, sort of, but not really, combo/aggro at heart).

WoTC clearly likes midrange better than I do and generally wants it to be playable. We haven't seen the last of Historic bans, though the B&R also implies they expect to be upending the meta significantly with what they will print in with AKR and Pioneer Bastards. So, if the meta right now doesn't really grab you, I would just bide my time, do dailies or play standard if you can stand to, try to build up the staple rare land collection you'll need to carry through any serious Historic career, and see where things go over the next few months. I am pretty confident that WoTC will keep tweaking things until something resembling a traditional midrange deck is at least high tier 2.

As a mostly control player, I'd like more midrange in the meta because those matchups are more interesting than pure aggro, which tends to be much swingier and one-sided, whoever wins.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 4, 2020