Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is the second season of Dead to Me any good?

If you liked the first season you’ll probably like the second season. I liked it. It’s not quite as tight as S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I finally got into the 100 a few weeks back and I am just starting s5. At this point I am basically hate watching it as it's so over the top and silly but I still enjoy it enough to keep going. Am I a bad person?

Also watching Black Sails but I like that a lot more, but I used to be a commercial sailor so I can't help myself.

Nah, I fuckinglove the 100 even though I recognise it's got many flaws.

Keep going, the s5 finale contains a triple whammy of earth shattering revelation followed by earth shattering revelation followed by earth shattering revelation. I was the mouth opening until it consumes my whole head smiley in that last 5 minutes of the episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

How have I become involved in Indian Matchmaking? What is happening to me?

Also, Akshay's mom is, like, A LOT

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Annabel Pee posted:

Binging though Six Feet Under with the gf, halfway through season 4 now, some stray thoughts.

- Brenda and Billy in season 1/2 or so were the most annoying characters in TV history. I figured Brenda caused the fire in S1 and had no idea they would last this long. Slowly however they have become two of my favourite characters, I think the writers stopped writing Brenda as the smartest person in the room, and her mum took over the annoying crown. Im not interested in this relationship with Justin Theroux at all though.

- Lots of surprising cameos and cast I didn't expect. Adam Scott, Anna Gunn, Justin Theroux, lots of AHS cast. Rainn Wilson's character was amazing, James Cromwell is good too but I can't see his character going anywhere too interesting.

- Keith got in trouble in his job for using the toilet at the Ellen Show, the same week Ellens been in the news for her workplace being under investigation, made me laugh.

- The last episode we watched was the one where David gets kidnapped. I'm not sure if i loved or hated it. It was pretty intense and I love a good bottle episode, but the kidnapping itself seemed a bit too out of the blue and too much for this show, it was like something out of 24, complete with loads of stupid action cliches when David gets away and then just hides around the corner instead of running of, only to be caught again.

- End of show predictions: I've picked up through cultural osmosis, I think the show ends showing every main characters death in the style of the opening credits, I think even The Simpsons did a parody of it. I think the actual finale will revolve around Nate's death though. Perhaps the thing in his brain comes back, and he will reunite with Brenda in some way before his death, either marriage, or she might adopt the baby.

E: I almost forgot to say Michael C Hall is INCREDIBLE on this show. He fits into the roll perfectly and I can barely imagine him as Dexter after it anymore. David and Keith are the best part of the show in general, their relationship and chemistry is so cute.

Yeah Michael C Hall was unbelievable on that show. I didn't like that scary ep because like.... why?

Annabel Pee posted:

Is 4 considered one of the strongest or weakest? Season 2 was by far the weakest for us, the whole thing just seemed full of annoying relationship drama with a lot less of what made the others interesting.

Gilmore girls was the show we binged last too so it was funny to look up Nate and see he's in a relationship with Lauren Graham. Especially as there have been at least two jokes in SFU against Gilmore Girls.
The general consensus back in the day (15 years ago!) was that 1, 2, and 5 were great and 3/4 were an ordeal. If you're enjoying 3/4 that's great. How you see the show depends a lot on how you react to Brenda/Billy, whether you can find them conceptually hilarious and relate in some small ways to their giant flaws or if you're just pissed off by them. David's fantastic throughout ofc.

Peter Krause and Lauren Graham were both main characters in Parenthood which I guess is where they started dating. Parenthood is a very weird show that might even be more effective birth control than 16 and pregnant.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Claire becomes insufferable in season 4 or 5 but she rebounds.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I've been watching The Sick Note and while I should like it, its just so ...hectic? Obviously by design, but please, maybe sometimes use the break pedal? I'm halfway through and it seems like it has so far been one long afternoon like the first seven episodes of 24.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Madurai posted:

I've started and stopped the first episode like three times. I have no idea how you're getting through it, but godspeed my brave goon! :patriot:

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is the second season of Dead to Me any good?

Yes, although it seems to make more of an attempt at being a comedy the first few episodes and it's annoying and not really funny.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Madurai posted:

That show was certainly something. My main takeaway was mostly that the matchmaker was rubbish at her job. She kept even saying things that I think she intended to make her sound good but just made me think she was admitting to being trash.

Also it looked like she just used a basic keyword matching algorithm. Then when that failed she would show some dude a tiny digital cell phone photo so he could do the laziest cold reads ever. Like, if you want me to accept that this dude has a skill that lets him read futures/whatever in faces, shouldn't he need to see the actual person? Or at least like a large HD glossy photo?

At least the astrologer guy had the pretense of a complicated mathematical system. I mean, it's still rubbish, but at least there was effort.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just made my way through Carnival Row. Ended faster than I expected because I figured there were more than 8 episodes. I don't know if it was here, but when it first came out I read some bad reviews of it and that set my expectations super low. Maybe because of that I actually enjoyed it a reasonable amount. Orlando Bloom has been stained by Legolas for years in my eyes, but I thought he did a decent job. I'm looking forward tot he next season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like the world they built in Carnival Row. Obviously it's not super original, but I just kinda dig it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

showbiz_liz posted:

Can I get a recommendation for cerebral sci-fi TV with few to no aliens/monsters and set on Earth? My roommate has super specific tastes for SF where she loves anything about how people deal with X weird situation but too much blatant "sci fi stuff" will turn her off. So for example we have watched together and enjoyed The Leftovers, Dark, and Lost (her favorite show) but she won't even attempt anything like Star Trek or Buffy - basically if a main character wears latex on their face or they live on a spaceship it's a big no for her.

(I personally think this is ridiculous but w/e it's quarantine times and we're all compromising)

Definitely second the Fringe recommendation.

I just finished a rewatch of 30 Rock. It's been a while since its first run...and it doesn't seem to be syndicated like it was years back. Just an excellent sitcom....and another example of why NBC (imo) is basically the only network channel that can do sitcoms well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madurai posted:

We never got to see what happened after the tall dude told his vet GF that his dad was in jail....

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finished the Six Feet Under finale.

- We knew the basic ending that everyone died, but holy poo poo we were not ready for that. When it cut to Keith and we realised what was happening we just lost it, couldn't stop crying through the rest of it, teared up again watching it this morning, such a horrible thing to happen to Keith after everything else. At least David still had the kids to remember him by.
-There was some funny stuff too mixed in with the tears, Billy talking to Brenda to death about Claire in the nursing home. The bizarre makeup, I swear David looked like 50 years older in scenes where George and Keith looked exactly the same as usual.
-I read afterwards they only came up with Nate dying three episodes earlier and everyone dying in the finale whilst they were writing the final season. I'm surprised they didn't have it in mind from the start it was so perfect, it was a great choice to have the Nate stuff a few episodes earlier to give everyone time to grieve.
-Its one of those things that I think will stick with me forever, I hope I never forget it. It's made me think about my own life and mortality more than any piece of media ever. So incredible.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I watched Six Feet Under a bit after my mother passed away. It really helped me with the process of grieving and plus it was a great show. The Sia song at the end was just awesome as well.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I cant imagine watching the show soon after a death, I think it would break me more than it did already. Yeah the use of the song is great, they timed it beautifully like a music video to go along with the emotional beats.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Been watching Doom Patrol. Finished season 1 and halfway through season 2

It's a mixed bag. I like it but some of the monkeycheese randomness gets grating at times. I actually really like the show when it takes itself seriously and you get to learn about the characters backstories and stuff. Farting donkeys, beardhunters and the completely nonsensical finale to S1 is the poo poo I don't like. Season 2 is a bit more restrained so far which I like. It's still completely nuts (sex demon giving birth scene) but it seems to focus more on the characters and less on cheesy CGI.

The apegirl in S2 owns so far as well, the kid really sells it

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Been watching Doom Patrol. Finished season 1 and halfway through season 2

It's a mixed bag. I like it but some of the monkeycheese randomness gets grating at times. I actually really like the show when it takes itself seriously and you get to learn about the characters backstories and stuff. Farting donkeys, beardhunters and the completely nonsensical finale to S1 is the poo poo I don't like. Season 2 is a bit more restrained so far which I like. It's still completely nuts (sex demon giving birth scene) but it seems to focus more on the characters and less on cheesy CGI.

The apegirl in S2 owns so far as well, the kid really sells it

yeah, not a fan of the monkeycheese random aspects, but the rest of the show isn't too bad

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's the main reason I've not been able to get into it.

When it's being purposefully weird, I really enjoyed it. But when it was just throwing ideas around without much motivation I struggled.

I'm also not entirely convinced by Diane Guerrero either, despite loving her in Orange Is The New Black. Sometimes she pops, and sometimes she's a bit too TV sanitary mental health crisis, if you know what I mean.

April Bowlby is amazing, though.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
If anyone knows of a series finale even remotely as good as the one from Six Feet Under, let me know. I watched that show over 10 years ago and it's still with me. Just reading the spoiler just now made me tear up again. I kind of want to do a rewatch some day but at the same time I'm a little afraid to do so. It's definitely the best TV show ever for me, and very dear to my heart.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The only recent series finale I thought was even close to SFU was Halt and Catch Fire. In some ways you can tell it was influenced by SFU since they had a death of a major character towards the end. That said unlike SFU a lot is still in question (what was the idea they came up with?). . I would even put the Halt and Catch Fire finale over other finales I enjoyed last decade like The Leftovers and Mad Men.

Interesting take on series finales. It points out that The Sopranos and SFU are opposite sides of great series finales. Not that one is better than the other, it is just one leaves a lot unresolved and in question, and on the other side you have Six Feet Under giving you most resolved ending in history. It does talk about Halt and Catch Fire, and other finales so spoilers beware.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/17/16462246/series-finale-best-worst-tv-halt-and-catch-fire-americans

Edit: I will also say about Halt and Catch Fire it is the first finale in awhile that I actually felt sad saying goodbye to the characters.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 4, 2020

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My wife and I have been enjoying Love Life slowly this week. Some subplots and story elements get left hanging but by and large it's very well written, acted and produced.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think anything is even in the same universe as SFU's finale.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

nate fisher posted:

The only recent series finale I thought was even close to SFU was Halt and Catch Fire. In some ways you can tell it was influenced by SFU since they had a death of a major character towards the end. That said unlike SFU a lot is still in question (what was the idea they came up with?). . I would even put the Halt and Catch Fire finale over other finales I enjoyed last decade like The Leftovers and Mad Men.

Interesting take on series finales. It points out that The Sopranos and SFU are opposite sides of great series finales. Not that one is better than the other, it is just one leaves a lot unresolved and in question, and on the other side you have Six Feet Under giving you most resolved ending in history. It does talk about Halt and Catch Fire, and other finales so spoilers beware.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/17/16462246/series-finale-best-worst-tv-halt-and-catch-fire-americans

Edit: I will also say about Halt and Catch Fire it is the first finale in awhile that I actually felt sad saying goodbye to the characters.

Glad to see The Shield at least pop up on their little graph there. That finale was incredibly well done and belongs up at the top of any list of series conclusions.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Just blasted through Say I Do ... I don't usually like wedding shows but this was like Queer Eye for weddings, and turned out being way more wholesome and wonderful than I thought.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Angel has a really strong finale. Nurse Jackie's was absolutely brutal.

But yeah, I'd put Mad Men and The Shield up there as far as series finales go, but Six Feet Under is still massive for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oenis posted:

If anyone knows of a series finale even remotely as good as the one from Six Feet Under, let me know. I watched that show over 10 years ago and it's still with me. Just reading the spoiler just now made me tear up again. I kind of want to do a rewatch some day but at the same time I'm a little afraid to do so. It's definitely the best TV show ever for me, and very dear to my heart.

Babylon 5 finished beautifully. We had a penultimate episode with all the characters going their own way, and then a jump forward 20 years in the actual finale. It's a great emotional sendoff and a wrap up of all the character arcs. There's some rule, pure, naked sentimentality in it but nobody seems to mind. For myself, I start tearing up about halfway through the penultimate episode and it just keeps going until the sun comes up.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I watched Six Feet Under in college and maybe I was too young for it. I liked it enough to finish it (which at the time required the effort of checking out DVDs one by one from the school media library), but it just felt so relentlessly grim, like if any of these people dared to crack a single smile or to get an ounce of perspective on their really very charmed lives it would actually factually kill them. Maybe I'd appreciate it more a decade later.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ratatozsk posted:

Glad to see The Shield at least pop up on their little graph there. That finale was incredibly well done and belongs up at the top of any list of series conclusions.

I put The Shield above everything else because it’s the perfect cap to seven series of rising action. There were a million ways it could have failed utterly, but they pulled off the most satisfying end to a long show.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The finale of The Shield was stellar, but as a whole I found the last season of the show a little disappointing because plenty of story arcs that weren't "Vic Mackey" were either sloppily concluded or vanished into the ether.

I think the finale to The Americans did a pretty good job for the same reason Mad Men did - basically left a lot of stuff open-ended while still wrapping up everything you would want wrapped up.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mcmagic posted:

We never got to see what happened after the tall dude told his vet GF that his dad was in jail....

It didn't work out for Vyasar and Rashi. But he remains friends with both the ladies we saw him meet on the show

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The last five minutes of Justified were pretty moving.

"cause we dug coal together"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My favorite part of the Justified finale was the fact that they buttoned the top buttons on Boyd's kid's shirt so we'd know it was his son. Like buttoning buttons is genetic in the Crowder family or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm also not entirely convinced by Diane Guerrero either, despite loving her in Orange Is The New Black. Sometimes she pops, and sometimes she's a bit too TV sanitary mental health crisis, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I totally get this. I think she plays the character really well, but the character just sin't that well-written. Not terrible, per se, but just based on a kind cliche, outdated caricature of mental illness.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

...The apegirl in S2 owns so far as well, the kid really sells it

That's because it's a short adult! The actress is 20 years old.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's quite good in that part, yeah. She's got that uncanny valley thing going for her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

An Ounce of Gold posted:

What in the actual gently caress. I had no idea.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am closing in on the end of s2 of Ozark. Really enjoying this, I like seeing Jason Bateman in a more serious role. I recognized Julia Garner from her part on The Americans, and she is killing it here. Every episode is pretty intense, kinda wish they dialed it down for an episode. Just had some boating time or something.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

An Ounce of Gold posted:

That explains it. The acting was really good, despite 5 tons of makeup to cover her face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

phosdex posted:

I am closing in on the end of s2 of Ozark. Really enjoying this, I like seeing Jason Bateman in a more serious role. I recognized Julia Garner from her part on The Americans, and she is killing it here. Every episode is pretty intense, kinda wish they dialed it down for an episode. Just had some boating time or something.

I’m watching the most recent season and it is just so, so good. Bateman as a competent Bluth is excellent and Garner is absolutely amazing.