Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Splitstaff seems great. Lots of hits for easy application of debuffs, especially from the abilities. Basically a long range tonfa. Scales B+ from magic, C+ from courage and D+ from strength. The break and block stats are basically the same as the spear, which is to say firmly middle of the road for both.

I got Sacred Bird Cry from the last boss, which is a new skill. Can be set to L1 + triangle. It's a general samurai skill, not a weapon specific one. Does up to 4 swings with each slash firing a projectile. Takes 1 anima per swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Argh the onymo dojo mission is impossible, I probably have to respec stats for it

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A crab with a mustache killed me with a pile driver. This DLC is p good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The demon scrolls are neat. Got one with a base of increased melee damage and the first roll one of the random mods was increased dodge invuln window. Doing the mission again is basically like tempering your weapon or armor, only there is just a single choice when you pick something to be replaced instead of 3.

And if you do it in co-op, there is a chance your buddies can get the exact same scroll base you were just running. :toot:

Splitstaff continues to be fun. imo high stance is a bit slow on the animations to be my preferred default stance. It just doesn't have the damage or break to crush enemies like hammer/axe or odachi so you get stuck in your longish animations while they beat your rear end. Med / low stance moves are stellar though. You can apply a ton of quick hits to get up debuffs or use the extremely powerful(possibly overtuned?) shin crusher to deplete their ki. Once they are vulnerable, then you can pop into high stance and burn all your ki doing dragon dance or whatever you want.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 31, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I saw the description for Shin Crusher and immediately put Masterful Slice or whatever skill that boosts ki damage is on it, still wasn't too blown away by it but I didn't use it very much either. I jumped back in to WotStrong before starting the DLC so I'm slightly underleveled for once, still killing stuff OK but now I die in a couple of hits again so I was focusing on the longer range moves of the SS.

Not being able to go 5ft without getting a skill point was pretty great for the first hour or so.

The new scythe Enki scare the poo poo out of me, their moves are just different enough from the vanilla spearbros that I keep dodging at just the wrong time :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh, I saw the description for Shin Crusher and immediately put Masterful Slice or whatever skill that boosts ki damage is on it, still wasn't too blown away by it but I didn't use it very much either.

I swear it got nerfed on the day 2 patch. :argh: Because on release day Shin Crusher was absolutely destroying ki, even on Dream of the Demon. Now it just does an alright job of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
BTW, I know you can equip multiple Guardian Spirits, but how does swapping them in battle affect the buffs and stat bonuses they give you? If I have Nekomata as my main and Tengen Kujaku as my secondary, for instance, will I still get anima on ninjitsu hits if I swap to Tengen, or will I lose that and get all his buffs instead?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

BTW, I know you can equip multiple Guardian Spirits, but how does swapping them in battle affect the buffs and stat bonuses they give you? If I have Nekomata as my main and Tengen Kujaku as my secondary, for instance, will I still get anima on ninjitsu hits if I swap to Tengen, or will I lose that and get all his buffs instead?

I think so. I assume it would swap all their stats to be the equivalent of if you had Tengen as your main and Nekomata as your secondary GS.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

You only get one buff for your secondary/passive Guardian Spirit. It's highlighted on the screen somehow, I forgot what it looks like.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Alright, Dream of the Demon ain't messing around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally equipped Tengen on my ninja, and lol, Jesus, can't believe they made him even more busted in the sequel. He remains the gold standard for any ranged build.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes the bonuses switch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

After ghost of tsushima and then playing a ton of monster hunter I'm wary of going back to Nioh and having to get good all over again :(

How are the new Onmyo/Ninjutsu skills?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Is it me or is the dlc on Way of the Samurai more difficult than region one on Way of the Strong?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

Is it me or is the dlc on Way of the Samurai more difficult than region one on Way of the Strong?

I can believe that, if only because early WOTS is just supposed to be a fun power-trip where you get to play with divine gear and all your busted endgame toys. The DLC, on the other hand, is postgame content meant to present you with even bigger, meaner challenges after the final boss is dead.

On a related note, nuppeppo are just savage. They're like some horrifying combination of enki, ippon-datara, and wanyudo with a vacuum grab, high status resistances, and lots of HP. Feeding them bombs when they try to suck you in is pretty funny, though.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 2, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

After ghost of tsushima and then playing a ton of monster hunter I'm wary of going back to Nioh and having to get good all over again :(

How are the new Onmyo/Ninjutsu skills?

Is the only new onmyo spell the debuff transferrence one?

The ninjutsu spells seem nice. Haven't tested their damage much, but their aoe is loving massive. I don't think it's possible to miss hitting anything with the lightning one.

e: Seems like it does even more damage than the old spells, which is pretty nuts. Casts a little bit slower though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 2, 2020

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Feeding them bombs when they try to suck you in is pretty funny, though.

I honestly didn't think to try this. Hm.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So after getting 1mil proficiency and halfway through Dream of the Demon, the splitstaff is okay. It's great at applying status effects, but suffers from moderately long animations.

In mid stance, one use of Unruly Revolution with Law of Largesse mystic art will basically apply whatever elemental effect your weapon has. If you are using the new guardian spirit that gives purity damage for strong attacks, using the hold button strong attack can apply purity as well. This is a quick and easy way to apply confusion to most things. Then you can swap into high stance and unleash Dragon Dance for big damage. Low stance is okay, but not having access to Unruly Revolution really hurts.

I don't have the dropped skill Roar Power yet, but it looks very good. It should be very useful as the only other powerful single hit that the splitstaff has is holding down strong attack in high stance.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Still halfway through my first playthrough of Nioh 2 rn and man I'd forgotten how abrasive ranged enemies are in these games

Like, I have to readjust to "play like something is always on a cliff shooting you, because something always is"

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I played and enjoyed the original. Does the Nioh 2 have a better balance of weapons/builds? I remember Katanas out classing everything else.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Still halfway through my first playthrough of Nioh 2 rn and man I'd forgotten how abrasive ranged enemies are in these games

Like, I have to readjust to "play like something is always on a cliff shooting you, because something always is"

Aim at them with a bow and strafe while they shoot, it's nearly impossible for them to hit you so you just fire once the projectile goes past

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Calidus posted:

I played and enjoyed the original. Does the Nioh 2 have a better balance of weapons/builds? I remember Katanas out classing everything else.

Most of the broken stuff has been moved over to the Yokai powers, so the weapons are much closer to each other in terms of viability. Katanas don't feel like the no-brainer they were in the first game, at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calidus posted:

all weapons are viable but there are still types that are less so (hatchets) and much, much, much more so (odachi)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The way the switchglaive turns stance shifts into attacks is fun. Lets you do brutal rushdowns like no other weapon.

The kusarigama skill that lets you hold down triangle to haul a charging enemy into a high-stance combo is also a brilliant dick move.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I need to get back into this game. I was rolling Tonfas because gently caress yeah and either Odachi or switchglaive (I enjoy the switchglaive more but I had a drought of good drops for it).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxxidation posted:

all weapons are viable but there are still types that are less so (hatchets) and much, much, much more so (odachi)

Hatchets are fun if you're bad because infinite ranged attacks lets you do some dumb cheese stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how do I kill this dickhead owl

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Zore posted:

Hatchets are fun if you're bad because infinite ranged attacks lets you do some dumb cheese stuff.

I dont think a single enemy in the game can deal with the running somersault throw attack lol

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Augus posted:

The boss one? Bring summons and anything else you think will help cheese it. It's such a shittily designed fight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Augus posted:

Run around like a madman until the dark phase ends. That fight sucks

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What’s with the enemies with the purple glow in dream of the demon?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

emdash posted:

What’s with the enemies with the purple glow in dream of the demon?

They have better stats and chance to drop demon scrolls. It's the new curse buff enemies have(you can see the icon under their hp bar). Use burst counters, grapples and final blows to temporarily remove the buff from them.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Augus posted:

If you're talking the main mission level it appears, its dark phase tends to deploy one of those little ghost-turret things you have to destroy. Its eyes are also a weak point. Otherwise just patience and keep-away are the order of the day.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Augus posted:

Feral counter wrecks its poo poo whenever it wants to divebomb. As others have said, if it's the main story one, break the turrets and slap it around a few times. If you have a Skeleton Warrior soul, their arrows can do good Ki damage for possibly opening up for a grapple.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Whelp, just got my Yasakani Magatama on my second try doing the abduction mission farming, and even with an untouched onmyo modifier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Kiryoki soul core is pretty good. It's a straight line shockwave style attack that has good range and comes out really fast. Can hit 3-4 times too.

Honestly all the new soul cores are worth trying out because they are good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only soul core that matters is the one that lets me become a crab.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I picked this up, I completely forgot how Nioh likes to kick you in the teeth at the beginning of the game. I think the first level took me 2 hours.

Dodge being being any other button than circle should be illegal.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Feeding them bombs when they try to suck you in is pretty funny, though.

A Bystander posted:

I honestly didn't think to try this. Hm.

Nuppeppo dislikes smoke.

Augus posted:

Shoot him in his dickhead eyes (there's even an achievement for doing so IIRC).

mastershakeman posted:

Run around like a madman until the dark phase ends. That fight sucks

Instead of buffing up to do damage to the boss, I'd save them and buff up to blow the glowy turrets away to end dark phase early, which also stuns him so you get a dagger grapple anyway. Definitely in the back half of my ranked list of N2 bossfights, but it isn't ~completely~ terrible.

Calidus posted:

I picked this up, I completely forgot how Nioh likes to kick you in the teeth at the beginning of the game. I think the first level took me 2 hours.

Dodge being being any other button than circle should be illegal.

Yeah coming back to this from FF7R it took me a minute to stop eating hits because dodge and use are swapped now :doh:

In lighter news, the splitstaff parry went from being yet another one that I just couldn't do, to maybe one of the most consistent ones behind dualies. I think the secret is you can't be holding a direction when you hit L1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6TT8275cpk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

I think the secret is you can't be holding a direction when you hit L1:

I think that's secret for all the L1 timing parries. It definitely is for the odachi.