Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Epicurius posted:

This clip has subtle hints as to where Worf's family is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138gX3wolOo

I'm not sure I'm picking up on it, drat Trek's subtle writing and my obvious attention to detail and good memory :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
MINSK.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
That last offscreen one got me good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

wait I thought Worf's family were like, uber Greek

Rozhenko is a Ukrainian name.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ah this one's brilliant

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
You think there are any other planets in the Klingon or Romulan Empires or the federation that are like the organians?

"Okay, we're changing the rules! Now we're tripling your taxes! ha ha ha ha!"
"Okay. Let me just check the vault." *leaves room, boings the needed money into existence.*
":grin: Here's everything you wanted."
"W-uh okay. Yeah. Don't gently caress with the Klingons!"
"We most certainly won't sir. :grin:"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Worf yelling about Minsk off-screen is one of my favorite DS9 bits.

My absolute favorite is when they get the Sao Paolo and Bashir mutters to O'Brien "I hate the carpet. I do."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Catching up on TOS-

Day of the Dove (rewatch)- The first thing I will say about TOS Klingons is you can really see the caked on heavy makeup in HD, which is a problem. The episode is good overall but they really mess with Chekov here, having him controlled by the entity and attempting to rape Kang's wife at one point which was a bit much. This does feel a little derivative of other TOS episodes that emphasize peace over fighting, but it's one of the better ones. Michael Ansara as Kang is a good casting choice and you can see why he was brought back later for two episodes of later Trek series.

For The World Is Hollow, And I Can Touch The Sky- The general story of this episode is good, but the execution is terrible. It's more of a Dr. McCoy episode because of the whole B plot of him having a year to live due to some disease, which is very conveniently cured in the last minute or so of the episode. The costuming of the Yonadans is just awful in every way. The concept of a generational ship heading to a planet after leaving a dying solar system is a good idea but the episode gets bogged down in the totally not believable relationship between Dr. McCoy and the main female lead for this episode. It's also yet another episode where a computer is controlling some kind of alien civilization and doing them harm until Kirk shows up to break it. These kinds of episodes make up like 10% of TOS. They also never explain why the Yonadan society was set up for them to worship this idol thing and also not really use any of the knowledge stored in the computer's memory banks. They never say if it was just malfunctioning or what the deal was. The way the show drops the episode title in a scene with the dying old man is very awkward and doesn't work in my opinion.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'For The World Is Hollow...' is the episode I have the earliest childhood memory of, from its original BBC broadcast circa 1970. I had a vivid image of people coming out of giant cylinders, but had no idea where it came from. When I saw it again years, possibly decades later, it was a total "whoa!" moment.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I don't really remember the contents of the episode anymore but drat what a good title that World is Hollow is. It makes me want to go and watch it again even though you just said it was bad, purely because of how enticing that title is.

edit: correction: I was wrong and FlamingLiberal would not say it is a bad episode

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 2, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TOS has some really drat good titles in general. Episode itself aside, The City on the Edge of Forever might be my favourite title of any piece of fiction. It's just so drat evocative.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 2, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

piratepilates posted:

I don't really remember the contents of the episode anymore but drat what a good title that World is Hollow is. It makes me want to go and watch it again even though you just said it was bad, purely because of how enticing that title is.
I wouldn't say it's a bad episode. It's a good idea that was poorly executed. I would call it around average or above average.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Like a lot of season three episodes, For The World Is Hollow would be better if it didn't seem like they rushed through the story. After five minutes on the planet, Natira falls in love with Bones and he's ready to spend the rest of his life with her. Then, about half a day into his time on this "planet", Bones violates the Yonadan law (who could have seen that coming?) and has to be rescued. The plot zips from one thing to the next without allowing any time to establish any emotional connection.

The only halfway believable romantic subplot in season three is Zarabeth/Spock.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

This one is extra great because I can absolutely picture the characters doing that as part of a normal day.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Roadie posted:

This one is extra great because I can absolutely picture the characters doing that as part of a normal day.

This one and Geordi and Worf hi-fiving are the best for that reason, yeah.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

A not great title from TOS is ‘What Are Little Girls Made Of?’ :raise:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus, mainly. Next.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Think carefully, captain. Your crew's life depends on it. Now that Ensign Pan has been dematerialized in our matter stream, is she mostly oxygen by mass, by mole, or by volume?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Like a lot of season three episodes, For The World Is Hollow would be better if it didn't seem like they rushed through the story. After five minutes on the planet, Natira falls in love with Bones and he's ready to spend the rest of his life with her. Then, about half a day into his time on this "planet", Bones violates the Yonadan law (who could have seen that coming?) and has to be rescued. The plot zips from one thing to the next without allowing any time to establish any emotional connection.
I thought it was really strange that they never explain why The Oracle basically just made the Yonadans worship it and do nothing else. At no point did they say 'oh, it's malfunctioning'. So somebody built that for that purpose? I don't know. It's never explained.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it was really strange that they never explain why The Oracle basically just made the Yonadans worship it and do nothing else. At no point did they say 'oh, it's malfunctioning'. So somebody built that for that purpose? I don't know. It's never explained.

Why explain boring poo poo like that when we can have Deforest Kelley mackin on a hot chick?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

MikeJF posted:

TOS has some really drat good titles in general. Episode itself aside, The City on the Edge of Forever might be my favourite title of any piece of fiction. It's just so drat evocative.

I'll give DISCO credit, they really try to evoke TOS with their titles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's by mass. Humans are 65% oxygen by mass, but by mole humans are mostly hydrogen.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

CHONCaP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Why explain boring poo poo like that when we can have Deforest Kelley mackin on a hot chick?
They didn’t get that plot right either, it was so forced. “Oh I’m dying so i will just make a rash decision and spend my last remaining year with these random people on an asteroid ship I met an hour ago”

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Astroman posted:

:hmmyes:

But this invokes questions, as if they can do good titles, why can't they do a good writing, storyline or concepts (The magic to make the sanest man go mad is perfect tho ngl)

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not the Federation's problem to fix a civilizations broken and malfunctioning gods.

Starfleet encounters a new culture with some goofy dysfunctional, religion every week and they just roll with it. Kirk, on the other hand, has contaminated and wrecked countless cultures by not leaving well enough alone.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 3, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sponges posted:

A not great title from TOS is ‘What Are Little Girls Made Of?’ :raise:

It kind of works. It references the poem, and the episode is about a mad scientist making android copies of people to try to take over.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Astroman posted:

It’s a shame you never actually see the title unless you’re looking them up online, but these days you never seem to get on-screen episode titles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
FYI, over in CineD there's now a Star Trek movie thread.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A CinD movie thread? Let me guess: all the good movies are bad and all the bad movies are good actually.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SA's putting out new Trek threads at about the same pace CBS is doing with TV series. Put a Trek thread in every subforum, I say.

Games: Allamarain - how the gently caress do you get past third shap?

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 4, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You're required to learn as you play, OP

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just colonize the early fps thread to be about Elite Force, Klingon Honor Guard, and TekWar.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Great Outdoors: Go climb a rock - my camping buddy won't stop calling them "marshmallons"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Okay, which one of you wrote this?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Points lost for not calling the Will Riker / Tom Riker blend ‘Hyperriker’

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I want a McSpock with large fries and a diet coke.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hGLHOzvgs

pretty fun discussion tbh

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I enjoyed it! Only part one, too.

The part with the gaffes you only notice with the improved quality of the blu-ray was very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

8one6 posted:

A CinD movie thread? Let me guess: all the good movies are bad and all the bad movies are good actually.

Why not? The TVIV Star Trek thread hardly does anything except complain about how terrible Star Trek is and always has been.