Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

canyoneer posted:

Costco in Spain has armed guards at the registers and at the jewelry display. It's weird

This owns

shadow puppet of a posted:

Costco.ca used to stock $900 jamon iberico hocks so I can only imagine the Fort Knox of acorn fed pork that is a Spanish Costco.

I wish to go to Spanish Costco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Welp my bidet is now triggering the GFCI outlet any time I attempt to turn it on. Time to return and order a new one

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Costco is the loving best. Just went last week, got a gallon of hand sanitizer for $20 and stocked up on liquor cheap. Food court swapped things up, they have a new ice cream available now, havent tried it yet.

Let me break this down for new church members as to what actually saves you money. I used to be one of those lunatics that saved receipts from all of the grocery stores in my area and compared prices so I have a pretty good idea, in my area at least, where you can save money.

1. Coffee. 2 pounds for $10 of decent whole bean coffee.
2. Frontline flea medicine. $35ish for an 8 pack. Price varies seasonally and they dont always stock it but its a great deal when available.
3. Dog food. I get a big 35 pound bag of salmon blue buffalo knock off stuff for $33.
4. Eggs. 24 pack brown free range cost me $6.
5. Toilet paper. Huge stack of 30 rolls of good Kirkland quality for around $20.
6. Meat. Any of it. All good cuts, all for cheap.
7. Gas. Always 20 cents cheaper than anywhere else.
8. Booze. I can get a 1 liter bottle of good kirkland bourbon for $20.
9. Allergy medicine. You get like a huge bottle for $10. Not sure on this one my wife uses it, but its way cheaper than the name brand equivalent.
10. Frozen 3 berry blend. I go through like a bag a week. 2 pounds and its like $5.

Also its hard to explain, but I never buy anything at Costco that seems like its really cheap or low quality like it'll fall apart after one use. And if I do ever have any issues they're always quick to refund my money or return or exchange the item.

My executive membership pays for itself with the money I save on frontline, dog food, gas, etc. Every once in a while I'll rent a car through them too for pretty cheap.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Welp my bidet is now triggering the GFCI outlet any time I attempt to turn it on. Time to return and order a new one

Was it working before and what brand did you get? Have you tried any other appliance like a hair dryer or something? i guess it could be shorting yeah

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Xaris posted:

Was it working before and what brand did you get? Have you tried any other appliance like a hair dryer or something? i guess it could be shorting yeah

Brondell and yeah it's been working for almost a year now. It would occasionally break the circuit maybe once every other month which I figured was suspicious but hey the fix was easy. Looks like it finally gave up. I'll try another appliance just to be sure

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Brondell and yeah it's been working for almost a year now. It would occasionally break the circuit maybe once every other month which I figured was suspicious but hey the fix was easy. Looks like it finally gave up. I'll try another appliance just to be sure

I don't know if GFIs are like regular circuit breakers for your house but those ones once they start tripping they trip easier each time. It has something to do with the metal inside wearing out a bit with each trip. I had to replace a circuit for my man cave because it started to trip all the time. Spent a bunch of money changing out all my UPSes and stuff before I figured it out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Trastion posted:

I don't know if GFIs are like regular circuit breakers for your house but those ones once they start tripping they trip easier each time. It has something to do with the metal inside wearing out a bit with each trip. I had to replace a circuit for my man cave because it started to trip all the time. Spent a bunch of money changing out all my UPSes and stuff before I figured it out.

nah they detect power imbalances between hot and neutral, not power surges. this is why they're installed in kitchens and bathrooms as they can detect possible shocks when electronics are submerged in water

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Costco this morning was crazy busy. I knew it would be busy because the coupons started today, but it was like twice as bad as I thought it would be. There was no line at the self checkout so that part was quick, but all the register lines were backed up and I had to wait in line for like 5 minutes just to have my receipt checked. It was a bad combination of being stupid busy and the staff being shorthanded. All I needed was bread too, it's unfortunate that the only time I'm willing to shop there is around lunchtime when it always busy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At the church.

Getting some Lucky Brand T-shirts and a dog.

God bless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Awe man also spotted.

This food court is outside the store though.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I went to Church for the first time in forever with my lady yesterday. We got so much good stuff. The end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh wtf this food court selection is not blessed

My churro!!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MarcusSA posted:

At the church.

Getting some Lucky Brand T-shirts and a dog.

God bless.

Got some clearance GH Bass shorts for ten bux, and the food court was back open so I had a dog of course. Ate it on my truck and wished I had an ice cold beer for my Costco Tailgate.

Also picked up a 6 pack of LED light bulbs for $12.99 with a $12.00 instant rebate. For 99¢ I was sure I needed at least a couple.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

My churro!!

Churros were removed earlier thi syear

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

My churro!!

pretty sure this is so they can keep as few people as possible in the kitchen for their safety

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I guess i'm the odd outlier of a single person household that easily makes my money back on the Executive membership. I do make large purchases there, including phones and just recently, a macbook, but I also buy maybe 80% of my total purchases from Costco. Body Wash, Deodorant, Detergent, Vitamins, Ziploc, Towels, etc. I haven't set foot in a grocery store in months. When I do have to visit one its for a random, small item i'm not gonna buy at Costco, like an onion or something. I don't even buy a ton of food from Costco, maybe 100/week, almost entirely meat, eggs, almond milk, tree nuts and vegetables. But when you buy everything from Costco, it all adds up.

So I can't recommend getting the executive membership anymore. Even if you have to look at purchasing other items there, I think it's worth it. Especially if you live in a metropolitan area with one of those good good Costcos. I have a backwater Costco and still manage to get everything I need there. What do you purchase at a grocery store you can't get at Costco? Can you start buying it at Costco and freeze/store some of it? My easiest example to point out, because it amazes me everytime I buy it is Rao's Pasta Sauce. It's like $12 a jar at a traditional grocery store, I think $8 at a Walmart. At Costco you can get 2 jars of it for $10.99. You are saving like $5 and the sauce lasts forever. It's incredibly good pasta sauce too. You can get amazing peanut butter, canned tuna fish, baking items, even butter, for like half the price of a grocery store. You just have to buy so much of it. So if you like to change around your diet a lot, like everything super fresh and don't have storage, then maybe the Costco executive is a waste. But if you eat a pretty standard diet, don't mind having a few things around for a few months and have the pantry or fridge space, it's so worth it. I'd basically just buy stuff that can stay on a shelf at Costco and everything else i'd pick up at a market on the way home from work. It's worked out for me for going on 6 years now.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Don't overlook the Spyder jackets. Those are a screaming deal and great jackets.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Costco.ca used to stock $900 jamon iberico hocks so I can only imagine the Fort Knox of acorn fed pork that is a Spanish Costco.

Oh, my local store had those or something like it. I can't recall if it was DOP or whatever certification the jamon iberico people use to confirm it, but it was a whole Spanish style ham with a ham stand and I think a thin slicing knife.

I just hope they get the Kirkland fiber capsules again, they weren't in their usual place with the fiber powder and stuff. Why the heck can't Costco do a "there are X many in stock at your local warehouse"? Other big retailers have that, it's really handy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any good recommends from the coupon book this month? I've bought those bibigo dumplings before which were good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That gnocchi seemed new to me but it looked similar to the Trader Joe’s brand that the carb hounds at my household like. Going to pick that up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Something called Sandwich Bros chicken melts are in the coupon book but thanks to gbs I can only think of cone bros when I see that

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hed posted:

That gnocchi seemed new to me but it looked similar to the Trader Joe’s brand that the carb hounds at my household like. Going to pick that up.

It's good, by the time I ate half of the pack I felt like I had 2 servings and I should have had it with a side.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Can Costco tell me the serial number/activation code of a Macbook I ordered or am I poo poo out of luck? I can't get in touch with customer service to even ask due to their removal of online chat, no ability to email and the phone line having a queue 60+ minutes deep. I know Costco Online has always been archaic, but the removal of online chat and no ability to email, especially during COVID, is kind of unbelievable.

I checked the order out online and couldn't find one there. It's also not on the receipt I received via email.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ShowTime posted:

Can Costco tell me the serial number/activation code of a Macbook I ordered or am I poo poo out of luck? I can't get in touch with customer service to even ask due to their removal of online chat, no ability to email and the phone line having a queue 60+ minutes deep. I know Costco Online has always been archaic, but the removal of online chat and no ability to email, especially during COVID, is kind of unbelievable.

I checked the order out online and couldn't find one there. It's also not on the receipt I received via email.

if it's tied to an icloud account you can probably find that via apple, I know my phone and tablet show up

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

if it's tied to an icloud account you can probably find that via apple, I know my phone and tablet show up

Right, but that was something I didn't get to do. I didn't have time to set it up last week when it arrived. Then we got hit by a hurricane. This morning I discovered it, a drill and some booze went missing while we were away for the hurricane. So I have to file a police report, but I need a serial number. The queue for Costco phone support is insane and while that will likely be something i'll have to do, I know i'll sit through the queue for an hour and get disconnected when i'm 2nd in line.

Items that have serial numbers 99% of the time have the number listed on the receipt. But not Costco. I'm hoping they have it somewhere in their system. But I doubt it. I bought a phone from them a couple weeks ago and whenever you buy tech from Costco, you just take the cardboard slip + receipt to the support desk, they go in a back room and just walk out and hand you a device. Has me a little concerned that they are so behind the times that they don't even track that stuff.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Something called Sandwich Bros chicken melts are in the coupon book but thanks to gbs I can only think of cone bros when I see that

Those are good, I use them for an easy work lunch all the time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I tried those a-sha tainen noodles, yeah they aren't good. just tastes like plain noodles with some soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil. no idea how it has 1.5 g of sodium--it has barely any flavor or taste to it jfc

the samyang hot spicy korean noodle bowls are way way way better, they're actually good i've decided

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Right, but that was something I didn't get to do. I didn't have time to set it up last week when it arrived. Then we got hit by a hurricane. This morning I discovered it, a drill and some booze went missing while we were away for the hurricane. So I have to file a police report, but I need a serial number. The queue for Costco phone support is insane and while that will likely be something i'll have to do, I know i'll sit through the queue for an hour and get disconnected when i'm 2nd in line.

Items that have serial numbers 99% of the time have the number listed on the receipt. But not Costco. I'm hoping they have it somewhere in their system. But I doubt it. I bought a phone from them a couple weeks ago and whenever you buy tech from Costco, you just take the cardboard slip + receipt to the support desk, they go in a back room and just walk out and hand you a device. Has me a little concerned that they are so behind the times that they don't even track that stuff.

The reason most businesses track serial numbers on laptops and other high value items is to prevent return fraud from people swapping items and returning old/broken products instead. There's no legal or other business reason to do it so it really wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother to track it.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

FCKGW posted:

The reason most businesses track serial numbers on laptops and other high value items is to prevent return fraud from people swapping items and returning old/broken products instead. There's no legal or other business reason to do it so it really wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother to track it.

Game consoles also get their warranty dates registered.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Xaris posted:

I tried those a-sha tainen noodles, yeah they aren't good. just tastes like plain noodles with some soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil. no idea how it has 1.5 g of sodium--it has barely any flavor or taste to it jfc

the samyang hot spicy korean noodle bowls are way way way better, they're actually good i've decided

Seriously where is the sodium in those Tianan noodles? They taste like nothing. I keep thinking I prepared them wrong but maybe they really do suck.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

Seriously where is the sodium in those Tianan noodles? They taste like nothing. I keep thinking I prepared them wrong but maybe they really do suck.

Probably rolled into the noodles themselve's to increase shelf life

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
solid quality ad campaign

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I think this is likely since they aren't fried

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gaius Marius posted:

this is probably most likely, the noodles themselves were just OK but like the sauce had nothing in it at all. honestly i can get way better fresh noodles at like tokyo fish market or 99 ranch in the fridge section or something for like $1 - $2 in the fridge section and then just put soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil and have exactly the same thing. i'm not anti-salt per se but if im gunna eat it it better taste loving good.

the only use case i can see for them is uh, if you live in the middle of nowhere midwest and want slightly better than average noodles to make some sort of stir fried noodle dish/chow mein/etc as a base and thats your only option. def not worth it

side question: i bought an instantpot sous vide version from costco back in march, the pressure pop-up valve that's supposed to lock the lid in place when it starts pressurizing isn't working unless i manually press down on the sides of the lid first, otherwise it just keeps venting while cooking, which is annoying. is this a simple problem i can fix or will costco still take it back? I also no longer have the box either. I'm not sure if it counts as an electronic for the 90-day limit or not.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 7, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's not even a good use case. I live in the middle of nowhere Midwest, but making homemade noodles is piss easy.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Kirkland conditioner is good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to go home with the duelling banjo skeletons on my next trip.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to go home with the duelling banjo skeletons on my next trip.

im sorry the what

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

im sorry the what

There's these sick animatronic banjo skeletons they're selling for halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

post them pics