Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

counterpoint: it is loving disgusting to cheerlead soulless mega-corporations on the basis of how much money they make.

I mean, it's dumb sure but I really think you're overselling things just a bit

I'm imagining someone reacting with shock and disgust to a "Sony sux" thread or something and it's pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gonna cyberbully people who buy arm macs by asking them what games they're playing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

gonna cyberbully people who buy arm macs by asking them what games they're playing

they get to hook up a mouse and keyboard and beat up ipad fornite players

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

posted from my surface pro x
posted from my microsoft band 2

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

phone posting on a mountain from my Kin

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
posted from my zune

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BobHoward posted:

agreed re quirks but i think my op is already aging well based on a recent discovery

https://twitter.com/never_released/status/1288690047374565377

https://github.com/saagarjha/TSOEnabler

so, this shows that A12z in the dtk mini (also appearing in 2019 ipads pro) has a gratuitously unnecessary feature for an ipad chip: a processor mode bit providing x86 memory ordering semantics

you only put that alien feature in an arm core if you want it to be fast at emulating x86. apple clearly designed A12z as a mac chip, even if they had no intent of ever shipping it to end users as such. the dtks can now be regarded as 1.0 armmacs, not just ipad chips stuffed in a mac mini shell

(the actual 1.0 armmac chip may have been an even earlier generation like A11, ofc)

i feel like you may be needlessly hung up on the semantics of "1st gen product" as opposed to the notion that the first generation of arm macs shipped to consumers are going to run headlong into the bajillion edge cases that come with consumer products, which historically have resulted in people saying "don't buy 1st gen apple products".

some rando's thunderbolt jbod box eating itself and all their data because of some quirk with the thunderbolt implementation on arm isn't going to be any less hilarious because apple technically made their ipad pro soc with the intent of shipping it in a dev kit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple doesnt usually fix those problems, tho. they just become the new way to use the product

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in the end it is all speculation, so w/e. i would be really surprised if apple doesn't try to push the formfactor very ambitiously with a new arm design though, to impress on the public the advantage at the get-go. and i have very little faith that there wont be a few nasty surprises for early adopters in that (e.g. pure mechanical issues, maybe surprising thermal failure modes), which will get ironed out 12 months later.

but even if they dodge that i would be really surprised if there aren't a fair bit of software and peripheral compatibility issues. likely not enough to make it review or do poorly, but such that, again, most people would lead a much happier life jumping in 12 months later.

e: and personally i'd find it more disappointing if apple go super-conservative than if a more interesting new thing has some teething issues.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

infernal machines posted:

i feel like you may be needlessly hung up on the semantics of "1st gen product" as opposed to the notion that the first generation of arm macs shipped to consumers are going to run headlong into the bajillion edge cases that come with consumer products, which historically have resulted in people saying "don't buy 1st gen apple products".

some rando's thunderbolt jbod box eating itself and all their data because of some quirk with the thunderbolt implementation on arm isn't going to be any less hilarious because apple technically made their ipad pro soc with the intent of shipping it in a dev kit.

i mean i was kinda joking about the dtk being the true 1.0, the serious part of my poasts is that they've been iterating on this for a while, finding at least some of those edge cases

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it'd be absolutely wild if they hadn't been iterating on this for a while

like, if tim didn't walk in to a meeting with Intel folk in 2015 with a machine running OS X on an arm chip, that would be borderline malpractice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if the first arm macs are actually different, like a 13” macbook as thin as the old tiny one with 10 hours of battery, people will put up with quirks. if they literally just swap out the motherboard of an existing macbook pro people aren’t going to be as kind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
imo they should make a laptop thats thin enough that you can throw it like a frisbee and decapitate windoze lusers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

if the first arm macs are actually different, like a 13” macbook as thin as the old tiny one with 10 hours of battery, people will put up with quirks. if they literally just swap out the motherboard of an existing macbook pro people aren’t going to be as kind

entirely agreed, people will love it, and rightly so. the 1.0 point is more that if you value your time and money you could wait 12 months and still get almost all the enjoyment with the simpler downsides figured out already.

i pretty much expect that they'll get it to a place where the spec+formfactor combination is obviously out of reach of intel computers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

counterpoint: it is loving disgusting to cheerlead soulless mega-corporations on the basis of how much money they make.

boy howdy, let me tell you how your attitude about this changes when you’re holding several figgies of stock options in soulless megacorp

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

imo they should make a laptop thats thin enough that you can throw it like a frisbee and decapitate windoze lusers
the true air successor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BobHoward posted:

i mean i was kinda joking about the dtk being the true 1.0, the serious part of my poasts is that they've been iterating on this for a while, finding at least some of those edge cases

i don't know that anyone itt thinks apple is going into this blind, it's just that they also weren't going into it blind any of the previous times either. they put shitloads of work into every platform transition and product line launch, the results are occasionally hilarious nonetheless

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

the results are occasionally hilarious nonetheless
very much unlike your posting

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/storiediapple/status/1288508650592645121

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i just realized the Apple silicon release basically matches EOL of adobe flash, clearly that’s what was holding them back until now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lets check in on apple services, that hugely popular and explosively growing portion of apples portfolio

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1290037469732196354

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yes, it's true. Apple News will give you entertainment-related notifications if you set it up to do so.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

imagine letting Apple news push notifications to you. imagine being the person that allows that on purpose

eerie

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cnn is hot garbage for push notification news and has been since they launched their app. id set it for major news and itd always backslide to 'ten times craig t nelson said whoa in the first season of coach' level alerts in a month and a half

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it’s vitally important I get push notifications about craig t nelson

jk, the real problem is 20 years ago a human would have decided what’s alert-worthy but decades of newsrooms getting hollowed out and replaced by finance bros needle-watching engagement metrics have made that impossible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah, the problem is apple news is dogshit. they're the ones setting those push notifications, not cnn.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cnn also sucks

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i can’t say that I have ever in my life wished that I had push notifications for news

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

i can’t say that I have ever in my life wished that I had push notifications for news
:hmmyes:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the only one that was interesting was detroit filing for bankruptcy but that didnt lead to robocop so im not sure it meets the criteria

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rjmccall posted:

old people are buying ipads to zoom with because their church organizations aren't holding in-person meetings anymore and then spending five loving hours on the phone with their children trying to set them up because they've never even used a smartphone before and can't type three characters on a screen without hitting the wrong button and swearing and they don't want to buy a keyboard accessory even though they can definitely afford it and it would make it so much easier for them to use their new ipad and then it turns out they don't actually know their own wireless password and never wrote it down and lost whatever paper the cable company guy gave them because they just use a desktop computer which has always just been plugged directly into the router and then they fail to sign up for an apple id because they insist on getting the confirmation code by phone call because they don't know how to use text messages and don't trust email but they put in the phone number they're calling their son on instead of their cell phone so they never got the code and then the apple id sign up process timed out and they were too upset now so they had to try again the next morning

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

al-jazeera english does the trick for my news pushing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

that’s basically what the portrait display wound up looking like, just no disk slots at bottom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Casual Encountess posted:

al-jazeera english does the trick for my news pushing

sounds a whole lot like al-jizzera

which is way funnier

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

FMguru posted:

lets check in on apple services, that hugely popular and explosively growing portion of apples portfolio

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1290037469732196354

I realized how worthless/brain poisoning these are and turned them off almost immediately

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

instant anxiety and anger delivered straight to your tracking device! now that's what i call 2020

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

27-inch iMac gets a major update

The ultimate desktop now features much faster performance, SSDs across the line, an even more stunning Retina 5K display, and higher quality camera, speakers, and mics

"By far the most powerful and capable iMac ever"

tim, thank you

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they finally got rid of the spinning disks on the 27 inch models, but not the 21 inch ones (you can still "upgrade" the 21 inch ones to 1tb fusion drives)

every single model still has a base configuration of 8gb of ram (???)

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they finally stopped selling fusion drives. all base models are now ssd only, finally