Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol I meant unmodified.
I use this keeb every day.

808-Boom is live. Get to it.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106428.0

oooooh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I haven't been this tempted in a long time

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hey folks, I'm looking for a cheap and simple membrane keyboard with high key travel, basically something like this one but that is still sold as new, rather than used. I'd prefer it not to have media keys or other weird features, my main problem with finding something like it is all the modern cheap keyboards I see have much shorter keys, which I dislike. Greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol I meant unmodified.

808-Boom is live. Get to it.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106428.0

These are really hot. I'm tempted, despite the fact that I haven't even gotten the keyboard/keycaps I've already ordered yet... but I'm considering cancelling anyways, these are super hot and now it's looking like my keyboard won't get here until the end of August, maybe even September.

Question: how uncomfortable would a Cherry-profile keyset be on something like an Ergodoxs? The difference in profile doesn't look outrageous, but maybe typing on it all day would be a bummer.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Nondescript Van posted:

I didn't really notice it before but since HCF mentioned every drat ergo board standardizing on the "6" key on left half I can't stop getting annoyed by it. Thanks.

I don't think I own a single ergo board with the 6 on the left hand side.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

CyberPingu posted:

I don't think I own a single ergo board with the 6 on the left hand side.

Tell me more about these hens'-teeth ergo boards with 6 on the right (i.e. CORRECT) side

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I think the only split keyboards that have a 6 on the left are the ones that join together to look like a full keyboard. All the ErgoDox style ones usually have the 6 on the right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Epsilon Plus posted:

These are really hot. I'm tempted, despite the fact that I haven't even gotten the keyboard/keycaps I've already ordered yet... but I'm considering cancelling anyways, these are super hot and now it's looking like my keyboard won't get here until the end of August, maybe even September.

Question: how uncomfortable would a Cherry-profile keyset be on something like an Ergodoxs? The difference in profile doesn't look outrageous, but maybe typing on it all day would be a bummer.

These ship in February so you'll have your new keyboard for at least 6 months before you even see the 808 Boom. Just suck it up and wait. If I cancelled every keyboard and keycap set that didn't show up when I wanted it to I'd only have 1 complete keyboard.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Epsilon Plus posted:

and now it's looking like my keyboard won't get here until the end of August, maybe even September.

[cries in Lumina]

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Tell me more about these hens'-teeth ergo boards with 6 on the right (i.e. CORRECT) side

I've had:

An Ergodox (OG and infinity)
Kinesis Advantage
Corne
Redox
And soon to have moonlander

All of those have 6 on the side intended by God.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

I've had:

An Ergodox (OG and infinity)
Kinesis Advantage
Corne
Redox
And soon to have moonlander

All of those have 6 on the side intended by God.

I guess ortholinear split boards know what they're doing. What the heck is wrong with the makers of staggered split boards?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I guess ortholinear split boards know what they're doing. What the heck is wrong with the makers of staggered split boards?

The mistel barocco has it correct.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woo-dy/woo-dy-a-67-keys-mechanical-keyboard-that-is-breathing/posts/2902726

huh.
Looks like the Woo-dy is going to be a thing after all.

At this point however... there's way better options for bluetooth so I'm kinda disappointed. Also, I don't like the keycaps, I won't want the switches, I don't even think it's programmable and the case is low profile which is also sort of a bummer.
I must have been really desperate for a bluetooth keyboard when this thing launched because I really don't like anything about it now.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 3, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

New board arrived, going to be a fun project.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

New caps arrived today so I gave my ALT a nice lil upgrade.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

.Z. posted:

New board arrived, going to be a fun project.

Ooooh :dance:

Now you're making me want this but with my weird 60% layout instead

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I wasn't going to get a Durgod Fusion but then I got on a kick of buying NES color scheme peripherals from 8bitdo. Hello nostalgia, farewell money!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Oh man. Akko 108 key. I LOVE this thing. Lubbed cherry browns.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Is it just me or do Cherry Browns have absolutely NO tactility?

I've had two sets and while they SAY it's tactile, they just feel like heavy reds to me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not just you. I didn't like them at all. Or reds. Or blacks. Just not for me.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
cherry browns had way more tactility than these fuckin gateron browns, which might as well be linear switches. my one big regret with this keychron

i guess maybe part of the problem is that these keycaps are lighter than ones i'm used to? that's a thing, right?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
There is a reason most custom tactile designs (Durock Koalas/T1s, Zealios, Holy Pandas, etc) are all designed around being significantly more tactile than browns

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol I meant unmodified.
lol good to know it's a workhorse at least!

abraham linksys posted:

cherry browns had way more tactility than these fuckin gateron browns, which might as well be linear switches. my one big regret with this keychron

i guess maybe part of the problem is that these keycaps are lighter than ones i'm used to? that's a thing, right?
Yeah TBH I've found that the gateron browns on the K4 feel like absolutely nothing to me in comparison to my cherry mx browns, which I still feel are too light (hence why I'm clear-hunting)

Speaking of, there's a warning on the pre-retooling Hako Clears here that I'm debating getting 'cause they're so cheap, saying that pre-retooled box switches can gently caress up ABS keycaps and stretch out PBT ones... I'm planning on putting a PBT set on 'em and wondering whether any of you have any experience with this.

This is what it says:

quote:

Compatibility Note: pre-retooling Box switches may cause cracking in certain aftermarket ABS keycap sets — notably those from GMK. PBT / POM keycaps will not crack, but they may experience stretching. Internal testing indicates that the cracking / stretching does not affect GMK / aftermarket sets universally, so yours may fit correctly on Box switches. We recommend testing a spare keycap on your Box switches for at least two weeks, then performing a visual inspection / fitment test on Cherry MX switches, before applying the entire set.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Stroop There It Is posted:

Speaking of, there's a warning on the pre-retooling Hako Clears here that I'm debating getting 'cause they're so cheap, saying that pre-retooled box switches can gently caress up ABS keycaps and stretch out PBT ones... I'm planning on putting a PBT set on 'em and wondering whether any of you have any experience with this.

There was a lot of drama about this unanounced change when dozens of people saw their 150-300 dollar GMK/SP SA sets crack because Kailh or Gateron didn’t mention they changed the stem specs.

Do not use them if you don’t want your caps to break. If you bought 5 dollar Aliexpress key caps, knock yourself out.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Oh yeah, this was kind of a big thing in the keyboard community when it was first discovered. It was hit and miss on whose keycaps would be affected by this, but me personally I had a few SA Godspeed stems crack on Kailh Box switches. These had the same tooling as the Hako Clears in your link. A few people made some stem shavers back then to address this issue for pre-tooling switches, but I don't think any took off in market share due to Kailh simply retooling these switches so the stems aren't so abusive.

edit: The two products I could find were called the Cruciformer and the Stemshaver, but it doesn't seem like either are available for purchase anywhere nowadays. Maybe you can get lucky on r/mechmarket?

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 4, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've had two sets and while they SAY it's tactile, they just feel like heavy reds to me.

Yup. They're more of a scratchy red tbh. Though to be fair I haven't tried the re-tooled versions. But why would you get Cherry Browns in 2020 when there's way better switches available (and they still cost more).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

what are the hot next-gen switches that people like? particularly, which ones are what the browns are supposed to be (clicky without the click).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know what "next-gen" is but Cherry Clears are tactile and quiet. And there are two or three versions of Zelios Zilents that work as advertised. I love both brands' versions

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

lol good to know it's a workhorse at least!

Yeah TBH I've found that the gateron browns on the K4 feel like absolutely nothing to me in comparison to my cherry mx browns, which I still feel are too light (hence why I'm clear-hunting)

This is what it says:

I've bought 3 full sets. No problems so far and I've swapped a lot of keycaps around.
I'm trying to think what keycaps I've put on them but can't really remember offhand. However at the moment I do recall some lovely alibaba ABS set working with no problems. Also the new Drop Skylight PBT keycaps are fine. Plus lots of other OEM profile PBT, mostly from Durgod.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know what "next-gen" is but Cherry Clears are tactile and quiet. And there are two or three versions of Zelios Zilents that work as advertised. I love both brands' versions

mostly meant it as a goof, but as Constellation I noted there are a lot of new (or more easily-accessible) switches since I first decided to start buying MX Browns back in like... 2013. I have no idea what the state of the art is now, especially in mass-produced boards that aren't like massdrop fodder

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

LochNessMonster posted:

There was a lot of drama about this unanounced change when dozens of people saw their 150-300 dollar GMK/SP SA sets crack because Kailh or Gateron didn’t mention they changed the stem specs.

Do not use them if you don’t want your caps to break. If you bought 5 dollar Aliexpress key caps, knock yourself out.

Oh yeah, this was kind of a big thing in the keyboard community when it was first discovered. It was hit and miss on whose keycaps would be affected by this, but me personally I had a few SA Godspeed stems crack on Kailh Box switches. These had the same tooling as the Hako Clears in your link. A few people made some stem shavers back then to address this issue for pre-tooling switches, but I don't think any took off in market share due to Kailh simply retooling these switches so the stems aren't so abusive.

edit: The two products I could find were called the Cruciformer and the Stemshaver, but it doesn't seem like either are available for purchase anywhere nowadays. Maybe you can get lucky on r/mechmarket?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've bought 3 full sets. No problems so far and I've swapped a lot of keycaps around.
I'm trying to think what keycaps I've put on them but can't really remember offhand. However at the moment I do recall some lovely alibaba ABS set working with no problems. Also the new Drop Skylight PBT keycaps are fine. Plus lots of other OEM profile PBT, mostly from Durgod.
hmm okay thanks y'all! These are 20 dollar Aliexpress (lol) OEM PBT caps so I'll think about it. Still torn between wanting RGB or not, so I just keep compulsively checking r/mechmarket to see if anyone's put up any entry level stuff for a reasonable price that would make the decision for me, haha.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cherry browns are just reds that failed to pass quality control. (I'm joking, but not really) Cherry clears are the "real" browns, in that they are actually tactile. If you want quiet tactiles, clears are your best bet for most prebuilts, since cherry is so ubiquitous in the market. Of course if you are making the board yourself, you have plenty of options for good tactile switches.

Rexxed posted:

I wasn't going to get a Durgod Fusion but then I got on a kick of buying NES color scheme peripherals from 8bitdo. Hello nostalgia, farewell money!

On the plus side, you are getting a really solid board that will be well-constructed with pre-lubed stabs and very nice quality doubleshot pbs keycaps. Durgod is sort of like the Chinese version of Leopold. They punch above their weight.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Oetemu browns on my cheap Velocifire are reasonably tactile :shrug:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I like browns, they’re comfy to type on and the tactility is noticeable to me at least. I dont think I’d want a heavier switch.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Maybe I'm a peasant but I kinda always come back to browns, even from zealios

Boards with browns just feel kind a fluffy without being mushy, if that makes sense

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Maybe I'm a peasant but I kinda always come back to browns, even from zealios

Boards with browns just feel kind a fluffy without being mushy, if that makes sense

You can have boards that are fluffy without being mushy. That's what I prefer, you need a combination of good linears are soft and smooth to type on, but with a solid chassis that still feels sturdy. Then again, it's like arguing over which whiskey tastes the best, it's mostly all preference. There's nothing wrong with liking browns, as long as you like the feeling then all's good. The issue is that some people think they like a certain style of switch until they try alternatives. That was the case with me, I thought browns were my type and that linear switches were stupid until I tried good linears in a good board and then I was converted.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Oetemu browns on my cheap Velocifire are reasonably tactile :shrug:

Oetemu browns are more tactile than Cherry I feel.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Cherry browns were the tactile switch for years purely by accident and then everybody else was like "I bet I could do that better" and everybody else was right.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nondescript Van posted:

Cherry browns were the tactile switch for years purely by accident and then everybody else was like "I bet I could do that better" and everybody else was right.

I wonder if Cherry is going to shake their survivor syndrome. They survived the "dark ages" by sticking to the basics and basically running their tooling until it started literally deteriorating. It led them to being essentially the last company standing for a period, but now their unwillingness to innovate is going to bite them in the rear end. Especially now that they can't rely on patents to muscle out the competition. Now it's open season on MX-style switches and everyone else is pretty much doing a better job across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Hi all, looking to make the jump from an ancient 13 year old Razer :pcgaming: keyboard to something more professional now everyone's working from home for the forseeable future. Have had a look at the OP and was just wanting a sanity check on my needs starting out with mechanical keyboards:

- Must be UK full sized as I do a lot of spreadsheet work with ££ and use the numpad a ton day to day
- Nice to have some kind of one-key media bar (play/pause/mute/next) so I'm not hunting around for Spotify when I get a call (Is this a big no-no in the mech keyboard enthusiast market? Or is it just more expensive because there's additional keys to add on. Don't mind if the alternative is close-as-possible-to-native programmable Fn keys or something)
- Not something with a months++ lead time; understand that home office stuff is in massive demand at the moment but I'm nowhere near the stage of requiring the absolute newest release
- Cherry Browns were the go to for ages but last few pages have been talking about better caps, are these still good for newbie tapping? Is the OP outdated in this respect now?

Having a bit of a browse on Amazon have found a couple that may suit

Corsair K70 Mk2 (might make some of the more hardcore keyboard warriors hurl but it fits requirements. I am absolutely not wedded to RGB backlighting)
Akko US Ducky3, Cherry MX Brown (but looks like it only comes in US format and has a delivery date of mid September)

but feel free to tell me how wrong these are and what's better!