Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i refuse to believe that Oxiris Barbot is a real name. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Tobrab Sirixo

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1290687649305567233?s=19

I AM THE LAW

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

thomas pynchon writing this new season

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

#girlboss

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I wonder what happens if you trick her into saying her name backwards

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Never say Kim Reynolds’ name backwards. Never.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Ebola Roulette posted:

Seriously though if the worst thing that happens to you this year is you have to miss out on vacation you're really really loving lucky

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I feel like, if I were mayor of a city and my incredible pig headedness and refusal to listen to a world leading health department in my own city had directly and significantly contributed to tens of thousands of my constituents - the people I was elected to serve - dying needlessly, I might resign. But I guess that's why I'm not cut out for public office - I'm just not a strong enough leader to cause thousands of people to choke to death or become irreparably physically / mentally scarred and then decide to try to do a hybrid reopening of the city schools.

Anyway do you guys have the new impossible burger? I'm trying to cut down on meat.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Spergin Morlock posted:

The regular use of stand out names in the media lately is causing me some existential anxiety

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I really wonder if the camping conflict comes from where people live/how well they know where they live. When I lived in South Carolina I don't think I could have gone camping without dealing with a bunch of other people. In Oregon I can get in my car and drive two/three hours and pull up on some absolutely remote dirt road in the middle of nowhere where I won't come withing 100 yards of another person the whole time.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

what the hell is the point of 50% in-person instruction, it doesn't stop the spread of covid and it doesn't let parents go to work

it's literally the dumbest of all possible options

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dustcat posted:

what the hell is the point of 50% in-person instruction, it doesn't stop the spread of covid and it doesn't let parents go to work

split the difference

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dustcat posted:

that's why her handling of covid has made her the top rated governor in the US

wait, no, I'm holding this upside down

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Dustcat posted:

we will return to normalcy by dragging people kicking and screaming to these halfway points and then carry their corpses the rest of the way

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

I really wonder if the camping conflict comes from where people live/how well they know where they live. When I lived in South Carolina I don't think I could have gone camping without dealing with a bunch of other people. In Oregon I can get in my car and drive two/three hours and pull up on some absolutely remote dirt road in the middle of nowhere where I won't come withing 100 yards of another person the whole time.

i can do this in south carolina. definitely contingent on whether u find campsites by googling them

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Dustcat posted:

seems like you answered your own question there

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Dustcat posted:

In my local district (NYC) the majority of parents want their children back in school for as much in-person instruction as possible. Whether it's because they want to try to work or want the school-based socialization lots of parents really want their kids back in school. The hybrid model is an attempt to satisfy that while attempting to minimize the number of dead teachers.

Although I personally think it's designed to fail and the school board is just hoping someone higher up kills it before schools reopen.

sat on my keys! posted:

I feel like, if I were mayor of a city and my incredible pig headedness and refusal to listen to a world leading health department in my own city had directly and significantly contributed to tens of thousands of my constituents - the people I was elected to serve - dying needlessly, I might resign. But I guess that's why I'm not cut out for public office - I'm just not a strong enough leader to cause thousands of people to choke to death or become irreparably physically / mentally scarred and then decide to try to do a hybrid reopening of the city schools.

Anyway do you guys have the new impossible burger? I'm trying to cut down on meat.

I always knew Trump was an idiot, but somehow didn't pay enough attention to NYC politics to know that de Blasio was also a huge idiot.

Also the impossible burger contains lots of coconut oil so it's probably not that much better from a cardiovascular perspective.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Doxiris Trurbot

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Dustcat posted:

I like college football's version of this where they just play in conference. Cause the only way to get roni if the ACC plays the SEC *taps head*

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

i can do this in south carolina. definitely contingent on whether u find campsites by googling them

Oh yeah. I wasn’t implying you couldn’t, just that I wouldn’t have been able to. I know the backroads and trails in the cascades and cost range well enough to do it, which I never knew SC that well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nocturtle posted:

In my local district (NYC) the majority of parents want their children back in school for as much in-person instruction as possible. Whether it's because they want to try to work or want the school-based socialization lots of parents really want their kids back in school. The hybrid model is an attempt to satisfy that while attempting to minimize the number of dead teachers.

Although I personally think it's designed to fail and the school board is just hoping someone higher up kills it before schools reopen.

I always knew Trump was an idiot, but somehow didn't pay enough attention to NYC politics to know that de Blasio was also a huge idiot.

Also the impossible burger contains lots of coconut oil so it's probably not that much better from a cardiovascular perspective.
lol man

nothing will be even remotely normal until there's a vaccine, and even then, only for white people who have jobs

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Surely it's just a coincidence, but my mom - who works at a campground in Alabama - just texted me that she is updating all her life insurance information just in case.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oh yeah. I wasn’t implying you couldn’t, just that I wouldn’t have been able to. I know the backroads and trails in the cascades and cost range well enough to do it, which I never knew SC that well.

if u want to go camping in sc get a map and find a national park and walk a few miles into it, no need to know trails or costs unless ur amateur style camper than needs their car to be nearby

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had to get a waiver for a flight in January as I was sick (not covid afaik), but the waiver is good until next January - do you think if I call Delta they will at least convert it to a gift card or something? Because I sure as gently caress am not going to fly in the next five months lol

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scary ghost dog posted:

ya, even then, you're gonna need to pick up food, get gas, and all the other poo poo that goes with traveling. if you fall and break your leg, you're gonna being going to the nearest ER, wherever that is.

sure, if you get lucky, it's no riskier than staying at home. but there's a shitload of ways to end up catching it, or giving it to someone else, if anything doesn't go according to plan.

Presence
Jul 29, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

crash bandicoot rear end name

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

in just about any camping area, going more than an hour away from a trailhead is more than 99% of visitors to the area ever do

go a day in and you'll be fine, with a few exceptions in very popular national parks/recreation areas near huge cities

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Nocturtle posted:

:yeah:

There are so many impracticalities involved in both hybrid and full-time plans that I have yet to see addressed. What happens when a teacher gets sick and no sub can be found? What happens when they go on maternity leave? How are students supposed to social distance when many classrooms literally do not have enough room? How will teachers do online and in-person instruction at the same time? How will schools planning on checking temperatures every morning do so without causing a massive log jam at the doors?

Without a massive expansion of school resources and infrastructure, "safe reopening" is a pipe dream. I suspect most hybrid districts are fully aware of this and are purposefully putting out plans that are designed to placate parents and politicians before they commit to full distance learning.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Alexandria is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 139,966,[5] and in 2019, the population was estimated to be 159,428.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Solarin posted:

not drinking myself to death is the current project I'm managing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lol man

nothing will be even remotely normal until there's a vaccine, and even then, only for white people who have jobs

I wouldn't even trust a vaccine that comes out within the next year

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Alexandria is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 139,966,[5] and in 2019, the population was estimated to be 159,428.

I've never heard of that city. Covid is over!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Dustcat posted:

why not cut students in half and send half of their bodies to school and leave the other half at home. bing bong so simple.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

if u want to go camping in sc get a map and find a national park and walk a few miles into it, no need to know trails or costs unless ur amateur style camper than needs their car to be nearby

yeah. that's kind of my point though :shrug: That the whole debate here is people who think of camping as going to KOAs vs. people who live in areas where there's enough open space and also know that open space well enough to make it happen safely. The people without that latter perspective I could see why they're aghast at the idea even if it's really not a problem for people who actually know what they're doing.

Fly Molo posted:

ya, even then, you're gonna need to pick up food, get gas, and all the other poo poo that goes with traveling. if you fall and break your leg, you're gonna being going to the nearest ER, wherever that is.

sure, if you get lucky, it's no riskier than staying at home. but there's a shitload of ways to end up catching it, or giving it to someone else, if anything doesn't go according to plan.

I mean you have to get groceries and gas when you stay close to home, too? And I could fall and break my leg in my backyard and need to go to the nearest ER. You're making it seem like it's the height of irresponsibility to go anywhere, but at that point, it's kind of the height of irresponsibility to get out of bed at all. IDK, I've probably been exposed to more risk at protests in Portland than I would driving around to the east side of Mt. Hood and following some forest service trail to the middle of nowhere.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

must suck to live a life where you have a need for camping so bad that skipping it during a pandemic is a hardship

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sad Billionaire posted:

:yeah:

There are so many impracticalities involved in both hybrid and full-time plans that I have yet to see addressed. What happens when a teacher gets sick and no sub can be found? What happens when they go on maternity leave? How are students supposed to social distance when many classrooms literally do not have enough room? How will teachers do online and in-person instruction at the same time? How will schools planning on checking temperatures every morning do so without causing a massive log jam at the doors?

Without a massive expansion of school resources and infrastructure, "safe reopening" is a pipe dream. I suspect most hybrid districts are fully aware of this and are purposefully putting out plans that are designed to placate parents and politicians before they commit to full distance learning.

I predict they'll plod along until someone tests positive, so about 3 days.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol my wife works with a bunch of "biologists" at a vaccine manufacturing site

one coworker has a father in law that has covid (she's likely still visiting him)

another coworker's dad is in a nursing home with covid but asymptomatic. she just went to visit him

they also brought cookies in for the group

fan loving tastic we're both going to get it lmao

they're supposed to be quarantining if they are exposed but lol that's not going to happen

edit: my wife is going to narc on them anonymously. i know it's snitching but gently caress 'em. they'll get paid to stay home

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Aug 4, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol Gov Reynolds saying if you don't have an in person school option for your district, no one in the district will receive credit.

she's actually going to take it this far lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

yeah. that's kind of my point though :shrug: That the whole debate here is people who think of camping as going to KOAs vs. people who live in areas where there's enough open space and also know that open space well enough to make it happen safely. The people without that latter perspective I could see why they're aghast at the idea even if it's really not a problem for people who actually know what they're doing.

I mean you have to get groceries and gas when you stay close to home, too? And I could fall and break my leg in my backyard and need to go to the nearest ER. You're making it seem like it's the height of irresponsibility to go anywhere, but at that point, it's kind of the height of irresponsibility to get out of bed at all. IDK, I've probably been exposed to more risk at protests in Portland than I would driving around to the east side of Mt. Hood and following some forest service trail to the middle of nowhere.

doing non essential activities with a higher level of physical risk is absolutely irresponsible right now.

the only places you should be going are to/from work, and to get essentials, like groceries

also take a walk in your neighborhood, but stay outside, wear a mask, and stay like 20 ft from others when possible

DarkEuphoria has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Aug 4, 2020