Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I never used it, but it's super weird that they're apparently getting rid of Group Repay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Chrome poo poo the bed on me too. I thought my old rear end OG Pixel was the problem, but the Chrome play store page is full of reviews complaining about it freezing on tons of devices.

Clearing all data on the app worked for a minute. Firefox and Chrome Beta have been more reliable in the meantime.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On Project Fi with iPhone, you can't send images over MMS. Googling this I found a lot of people with the same issue, but there is no fix that I can find. This is over Messages, but is there maybe an alternative app that might work better and doesn't require that other users have it as well?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I said come in! posted:

On Project Fi with iPhone, you can't send images over MMS. Googling this I found a lot of people with the same issue, but there is no fix that I can find. This is over Messages, but is there maybe an alternative app that might work better and doesn't require that other users have it as well?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6205096?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

I remember struggling with this for a minute, but I used this to get it to work. Another site had this too:

quote:

Google Fi was previously insistent that no settings be changed on the "Cellular Data Network" page aside from what it needs to "work." So that meant "h2g2" in all of the three APN fields and "http://fi.g.co/mms/wapenc" in the MMSC area. You still need those four entries, but you also need to fix one and add one more thing.

Open up the Settings app, then go to "Cellular," followed by "Cellular Data Network." Now, in addition to the "h2g2" fields mentioned before, you'll want to change "http://fi.g.co/mms/wapenc" to "http://m.fi.goog/mms/wapenc" and add "23456789" into the MMS Max Message Size field. And that's it. Save it by exiting those settings, then restart your iPhone.

Give it a shot.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Started using YT Music and holy gently caress how do you design an interface this loving bad? If it doesn't improve when they make it the only option I'm jumping ship so loving fast.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Takoluka posted:

I remember struggling with this for a minute, but I used this to get it to work. Another site had this too:

Give it a shot.

I fought this battle and never saw these before! Thanks. I finally just used the Google Fi VPN, which resolved my issues (but causes some others).

Edit: Oops, this is for the iPhone not my Pixel 3a. :stare:

accipter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 4, 2020

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

accipter posted:

I fought this battle and never saw these before! Thanks. I finally just used the Google Fi VPN, which resolved my issues (but causes some others).

Edit: Oops, this is for the iPhone not my Pixel 3a. :stare:

...did it still work?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Give it a shot.

This didn't work for me. :( Wish I understood what was going on. Any alternative apps I could use that might be able to get around this issue? It needs to be able to send MMS.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm not sure if this is related, but on fi if I try to send a MMS out to iphone folks from my P4XL, it will fail to send (or sometimes send and say it failed, or even better, send and send half a dozen times). This happens randomly but a lot more frequently when it's a group text. The solution I randomly found off someone on reddit? Disconnect your wifi and send over data. Apparently something goes really funky if I try to MMS over wifi.

Whether this might apply to you using an iphone, I dunno, but thought it was worth mentioning.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Is there something google fi does to lock their phones? I got a Father's day sale g power with the intent to put in my Verizon sim and cancel the fi service after a month. But whenever I put the sim in, I get Verizon call/text service but 1x data thats not even connected. Been that way for a week, Verizon has no clue what's going on

Did you update the APN settings? You can find info on how to do it here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Verizon-Wireless-Services/What-Is-The-Access-Point-Name-For-A-Non-Verizon-Phone/td-p/946393

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Johnny Truant posted:

Started using YT Music and holy gently caress how do you design an interface this loving bad? If it doesn't improve when they make it the only option I'm jumping ship so loving fast.

That's what I've been reading. I'll probably just download everything and YouTube music can piss off.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Google fi now tries to force me into using the sprint network corpse, that is when it isn't trying to check if USCC has LTE, and if it doesn't sometimes gets stuck roaming on Verizon 3g.
If I use the t-mobile switch codes it stays on it for maybe half an hour on a good day, whereabouts before using the codes would force it to that one for 4 hours.

I am probably going to change to tmo or verizon whenever I switch phones back to an iphone because lmao this comedy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It had me stuck on 3G all weekend, when it wasn't dipping into 1x. Since I haven't been outside today I suppose I'll go for a walk tonight to see if it's unfucked.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It was stuck on 1x on uscc roaming on verizon today again, trying to make phone calls randomly will make it give up on trying to stay on uscc and change to tmobile, hopefully stays there.

Got a visible sim card today, might try that or just switch to the family verizon because this is becoming unusable

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone know if I would be able to do an esim for Google Fi on a Pixel 4a with a physical sim for Cricket Wireless?

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone know if I would be able to do an esim for Google Fi on a Pixel 4a with a physical sim for Cricket Wireless?

Yes, should work fine. Just a dual sim setup.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've never used esim so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

google fi email posted:

We would like to apologize for the mistake we made on your last bill in which you were not charged for your Fi service due to a technical issue on our side.

We would like to inform you that we will include this amount on your next bill in addition to your corresponding charges for the current cycle. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

The payment of $0 isn't scheduled for another 11 days but it's very cool of them to charge me twice next month instead of just correcting it and charging the proper amount later this month. Did this happen to anyone else?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hold on, I've played monopoly. Doesn't the bank error give you money?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bloodplay it again posted:

The payment of $0 isn't scheduled for another 11 days but it's very cool of them to charge me twice next month instead of just correcting it and charging the proper amount later this month. Did this happen to anyone else?

Same here, no charges this month and they'll just charge again next month it sounds like?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Same. I can definitely afford it, but it's a lovely thing to do, especially right now in the midsts of an economic crisis.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Well, they went back to the 2 day to fix if you dont pay on time, now they are going to make a bunch of people that probably wont have the money then pay twice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are there still issues porting numbers away from Fi? I'm considering switching to Verizon but I know that has been a thing at points in the past.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Changed my Fi simcard into a new phone and it says it activated but if I try making an outgoing call it goes to some Verizon switchboard and the number I was calling wasn't verizon either.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

e: looks like texts (this might only be while on WiFi) are working and I can make calls through the Hangouts Dialer when on Wifi, but data isn't working

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

fknlo posted:

Are there still issues porting numbers away from Fi? I'm considering switching to Verizon but I know that has been a thing at points in the past.

I didn't have an issue three years ago. You gotta get a code through the Fi app, but that's it.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
is my last bill for fi supposed to be $0, I thought they would have fixed the $0 billing issue before my billing date of 9th, but I got a bill for $0

Celexi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 10, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Celexi posted:

is my last bill for fi supposed to be $0, I thought they would have fixed the $0 billing issue before my billing date of 9th, but I got a bill for $0

You get charged $0 for August, next month you'll be charged for August and September.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is anyone else getting a string of mystery characters appended to every incoming text? Like this:

quote:

Great! See you soon!
~wsmODwBomuDWTgg
It's a different string every time, prefixed by a tilde. Apparently it's not new, though it's new to me since moving to Fi earlier this year. Some people suggested turning off enhanced messaging or whatever it's called, but that didn't fix it for me.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Hirayuki posted:

Is anyone else getting a string of mystery characters appended to every incoming text? Like this:

It's a different string every time, prefixed by a tilde. Apparently it's not new, though it's new to me since moving to Fi earlier this year. Some people suggested turning off enhanced messaging or whatever it's called, but that didn't fix it for me.

I used to get that on Sprint sometimes. Never did figure out what happened. May be worthgoogling with Sprint as the carrier?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I was getting that on fi before porting to Verizon, TMobile or sprint it didn't seem to make a difference.
It only had started recently

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently it has to do with using a non-Google phone--an S9, in my case--and can be avoided by using Hangouts for texts. :/ I tried that, and I am not a fan. I'd rather have the random text strings.

Some sources say it means the Fi porting process was incomplete, whatever that means; it doesn't seem to be the case here.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My PC makes ringing sounds whenever someone calls my phone. Is this a Google Fi thing? How do I turn it off?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

smoobles posted:

My PC makes ringing sounds whenever someone calls my phone. Is this a Google Fi thing? How do I turn it off?

...how do I turn that on?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's because you have Gmail open in a tab

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oh cool, I figured it out! Thanks. It was gmail, and there's a checkbox to turn it off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

...how do I turn that on?
It is a Google Fi thing, and it's integrated in Hangouts, and it's the main reason I use Google Fi.

You can just do your calls/texts from your PC while you're at home.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Anyone can use the browser based texting if you left your phone in another room or something, or couldn't hear it over headphones anyway.
https://messages.google.com/

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

smoobles posted:

Oh cool, I figured it out! Thanks. It was gmail, and there's a checkbox to turn it off.

This is the bit I was unaware of.
The hangouts integration is one of my favorite features of Fi and I figured out how to send calls, but I apparently need to dig up that setting to receive calls from my computer.

Thanks.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

poeticoddity posted:

This is the bit I was unaware of.
The hangouts integration is one of my favorite features of Fi and I figured out how to send calls, but I apparently need to dig up that setting to receive calls from my computer.

Thanks.

what is the setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does that mean you can integrate messages into hangouts too? That could be kind of neat.