Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I am enjoying TMA still, though I can understand why folks might not be enjoying it right now.

My feeling is that what is happening now isn't something that can be judged in isolation. The ending might pay all this off in an unexpected way, much like how they were dropping hints to a larger story when it was still monster of the week. All that is happening now gets recontextualized in light of that. Or maybe not and it'll go out in a Game of Thrones style wet fart.

They've done a good job of playing with expectations so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they wrap it up, but I understand if other folks can't do the same.

If you're in that boat, I'd say don't hate listen, stop staying caught up and wait for it to end, read some commentary and decide if you want to spend time finishing it. There's more content out there than there is time to listen to it, no sense spending it consuming something you won't enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also highly respect them as writers for not clumsily trying to rewrite things if the community connects the dots first.

The community figured out the Watcher's Crown and Jon's comment on it was along the lines of that meaning they did a good job with the breadcrumbs.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

I am enjoying TMA still, though I can understand why folks might not be enjoying it right now.

My feeling is that what is happening now isn't something that can be judged in isolation. The ending might pay all this off in an unexpected way, much like how they were dropping hints to a larger story when it was still monster of the week. All that is happening now gets recontextualized in light of that. Or maybe not and it'll go out in a Game of Thrones style wet fart.

They've done a good job of playing with expectations so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they wrap it up, but I understand if other folks can't do the same.

If you're in that boat, I'd say don't hate listen, stop staying caught up and wait for it to end, read some commentary and decide if you want to spend time finishing it. There's more content out there than there is time to listen to it, no sense spending it consuming something you won't enjoy.

That's the thing though. I wouldn't call it a hate listen, it's more like I just don't listen for several weeks and then binge several episodes at once. It's basically what I did with The Bright Sessions by the end.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's the thing though. I wouldn't call it a hate listen, it's more like I just don't listen for several weeks and then binge several episodes at once. It's basically what I did with The Bright Sessions by the end.

That's fair, though I do think that my suggestion to stop listening to something that you're not sure about is still good advice, not just for this podcast but also for this podcast.

I'll confess that I really don't understand why the creators are doing what they're doing right now, in the sense that they seem to largely be rehashing previous territory, which seems like a weird choice in a narrative that was previously barrelling towards a conclusion. But they've earned enough goodwill from their previous reveals that I'll go along with it.

My pet theory is that this is all some complex machination of The Web and they're going to pay it all out by the end, but I am prepared as well that this might just all be something that could be something best summarized in a couple lines with a "skip to episode ### where it picks back up again".

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Of all fiction right now, I have the most faith in Magnus Archives to make it work when it's all said and done. I hope.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone listened to the patreon exclusive episodes of White Vault?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Len posted:

Has anyone listened to the patreon exclusive episodes of White Vault?

Yes! They're very well produced and quite a bit darker than the usual content.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

boo_radley posted:

Yes! They're very well produced and quite a bit darker than the usual content.

You get the whole bunch when you donate right? I'm not sure how I felt about s3 by itself but I'm enjoying the series as a whole and want to see the extra content. I assume it adds some context to the main series?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

You get the whole bunch when you donate right? I'm not sure how I felt about s3 by itself but I'm enjoying the series as a whole and want to see the extra content. I assume it adds some context to the main series?

Without spoilers, I'd be curious to know if it adds extra context to explain why season 3 was literally just the same plot as the fist season but with new characters.

I should clarify that I still enjoy the show and liked season 3 well enough, I'm just legit not understanding why they felt the need to make that a whole season instead of just adding a throwaway line somewhere that says "what's happening on Svalbard is happening elsewhere too".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

Without spoilers, I'd be curious to know if it adds extra context to explain why season 3 was literally just the same plot as the fist season but with new characters.

I should clarify that I still enjoy the show and liked season 3 well enough, I'm just legit not understanding why they felt the need to make that a whole season instead of just adding a throwaway line somewhere that says "what's happening on Svalbard is happening elsewhere too".

Yeah it really feels like a mid series lull. I'm hoping 4 is going to be something different. It certainly feels like it should be going off how 3 ended

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

Yeah it really feels like a mid series lull. I'm hoping 4 is going to be something different. It certainly feels like it should be going off how 3 ended

The biggest problem I have is that since season 1, they really haven't either set up new mysteries or answered existing ones (aside from that the one dude from season 1 who speaks inexplicably slowly is still alive).

I find the setting and central mystery of the series to be extremely engaging, and find that the found footage conceit works well, so I'm happy to see where it goes.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Azathoth posted:

I'm still confused by season 2. Is it just the same story? I listened on YouTube and it didn't seem to add anything.

I know season 3 is similar beats with new characters, but season 2 felt like I was just listening to a rehash. Did I miss something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Season 2 was the second part of the story that started with season 1. Like it was the same characters experiencing more weird stuff in the same location. Not really sure what the problem is?

Season 3 is a new group of people in a different location experiencing similar things to the first group.

I'm not sure why NoSleep guy was who they chose to keep alive but he's probably the cheapest actor to get on board?

Season 4 will presumably be them armed for bear going after whatever is going on in the mountains

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Len posted:

Season 2 was the second part of the story that started with season 1. Like it was the same characters experiencing more weird stuff in the same location. Not really sure what the problem is?

Season 3 is a new group of people in a different location experiencing similar things to the first group.

I'm not sure why NoSleep guy was who they chose to keep alive but he's probably the cheapest actor to get on board?

Season 4 will presumably be them armed for bear going after whatever is going on in the mountains

Season 2 was the exact same audio of the same events in different order.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Season 2 was the exact same audio of the same events in different order.

... no, it wasn't?

e: Like, maybe I misread your post and you're just being sarcastic about the story being the same, but it is literally different audio.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also NoSleep guy was bad at the start when I thought he was just "westerns era Clint Eastwood having experience brain trauma" but he really grew on me and was probably my favourite character at the end of Season 2. Glad that he's back.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Azathoth posted:

I'll confess that I really don't understand why the creators are doing what they're doing right now, in the sense that they seem to largely be rehashing previous territory

I see this take semi-frequently and I'm still having a hard time trying to understand how people land on that? Pretty much every episode of the most recent season has functioned as a thematic crescendo for one of the powers, coupled with advancement of the metanarrative usually at the beginning and end. It's still the same kind of anthology storytelling that it has (primarily) always been, it's just using the Watcher's Crown version of the world as a vehicle for highlighting the existential ways the fears had always felt, but literally now.

It's polished up all the chess pieces we've been playing with for 3 seasons and getting ready for checkmate now that we have a better view.

Given Sims' real world ethics and the vibe he has when he streams and when he talks about his work I really, really don't think we're going to have a grimdark ending. My prediction that I'm feeling pretty good about : Jon is the Extinction. The Ceaseless Watcher's version of the world is--besides the overt supernatural qualities obvi--at it's core just a clearer picture of our own world, and Jon is going to end it and the influence of the other powers with it. Bonus points if the series literally ending (as in there's no more for us to listen to) is part of that conceit.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Latest Nightvale episode was surprisingly scary.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sab Sabbington posted:

I see this take semi-frequently and I'm still having a hard time trying to understand how people land on that? Pretty much every episode of the most recent season has functioned as a thematic crescendo for one of the powers, coupled with advancement of the metanarrative usually at the beginning and end. It's still the same kind of anthology storytelling that it has (primarily) always been, it's just using the Watcher's Crown version of the world as a vehicle for highlighting the existential ways the fears had always felt, but literally now.

It's polished up all the chess pieces we've been playing with for 3 seasons and getting ready for checkmate now that we have a better view.

Given Sims' real world ethics and the vibe he has when he streams and when he talks about his work I really, really don't think we're going to have a grimdark ending. My prediction that I'm feeling pretty good about : Jon is the Extinction. The Ceaseless Watcher's version of the world is--besides the overt supernatural qualities obvi--at it's core just a clearer picture of our own world, and Jon is going to end it and the influence of the other powers with it. Bonus points if the series literally ending (as in there's no more for us to listen to) is part of that conceit.

Yeah, I don't see it being per-se a happy ending-- not only would it be out of genre but that would be literally impossible with everything that's happened up to this point, but the meta-story doesn't work if it doesn't end with some bittersweet but precious victory. And whatever anyone thinks about Magnus, I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that the meta-story is badly constructed to this point.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Len posted:

Yes, there's a $5 tier that gets you the goods. Most of the extra content are shorter standalone episodes that expand the WV world in meaningful ways. There's some fun stuff -- a musical episode and a goofy dubstep song that's 50% industrial club banger.

Fool and Scholar have a talent for writing new content in way above and beyond giving you more of what you're already getting. Imperial is a huge change-up in tone; historical in nature and slightly "tighter" in its storytelling.

I'll warn you that Artifact is harrowing to listen to if you have thoughts of self-harm. I appreciate it for its craft, but found it hard to listen to for that reason.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
From the makers of I Am In Eskew is the upcoming Silt Verses: https://www.thesiltverses.com/

quote:

Carpenter and Faulkner, two worshipers of an outlawed god, travel up the length of their deity’s great black river, searching for holy revelations amongst the reeds and the wetlands.

As their pilgrimage lengthens and the river’s mysteries deepen, the two acolytes find themselves under threat from a police manhunt, but also come into conflict with the weirder gods that have flourished in these forgotten rural territories.

This is a world where divine intervention takes place through prayer-markings scratched into stumping-posts, and offerings are left squirming to die in the flats of the delta.

This is a world of ritual, and hidden language, and sacrifice.

This is folk horror, and fantasy, and a dark road trip into the depths of unusual faith.

I loved Eskew, and this is giving me some strong Archive 81 vibes. I'm excited!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
A couple of images that came with their email today:

No idea what it means, but I really love the second one.

PS they want you to take a survey about what kind of Patreon rewards you'd like.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

boo_radley posted:

Absolutely hyped for this.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

boo_radley posted:

From the makers of I Am In Eskew is the upcoming Silt Verses: https://www.thesiltverses.com/

holy poo poo I can't wait for this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Speaking of not being able to wait for something:

"Gabriel Urbina, Sarah Shachat, and Zach Valenti, the creative team behind Wolf 359, are making a new audio fiction show! It's called Unseen, and it's an urban fantasy series!"

That message just dropped in the Wolf 359 and Zero Hours feeds, along with a 4 minute teaser. I ... uh, I'm very hyped right now.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sab Sabbington posted:

I finally caught up and after the penultimate episode for the break I think you're close but swap Tim for Jon and I'm going to listen to the next few episodes with an ear towards that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Speaking of not being able to wait for something:

"Gabriel Urbina, Sarah Shachat, and Zach Valenti, the creative team behind Wolf 359, are making a new audio fiction show! It's called Unseen, and it's an urban fantasy series!"

That message just dropped in the Wolf 359 and Zero Hours feeds, along with a 4 minute teaser. I ... uh, I'm very hyped right now.

A good time to be a serialized fictional podcaster listener. Let eat.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Arrhythmia posted:

... no, it wasn't?

e: Like, maybe I misread your post and you're just being sarcastic about the story being the same, but it is literally different audio.

I'm not being sarcastic. I listened on YouTube so maybe I listened to something other than the season.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm clearing out poo poo in my iPod and has Black Tapes season 3 always called the last episode the mid-season finale?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Len posted:

I'm clearing out poo poo in my iPod and has Black Tapes season 3 always called the last episode the mid-season finale?

They even called that episode the “series finale” on their webpage and then changed it to “season finale” a day or two later and got vocally called out on it. I think that at some later point they suggested that further episodes were coming but I may be confusing it with Rabbits.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Everything got relabled to "season 3 mid-season finale" back in January but nobody's said anything about more episodes being made. Who dafuq knows.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, after getting called out for such a lovely and abrupt ending, they basically said "FOOLED YOU, IT'S NOT REALLY THE END" but haven't done anything else with it since.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, after getting called out for such a lovely and abrupt ending, they basically said "FOOLED YOU, IT'S NOT REALLY THE END" but haven't done anything else with it since.

lmfao :cripes:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

they did show up in The Last Movie and if they addressed the "end" of The Black Tapes, it was a throwaway line at best and I can't remember it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It really is a shame about The Black Tapes, Tanis, etc. I still go back and listen to the first seasons of those shows all the time. I haven't found anything that scratches the itch for a single narrator, strange ephemera, and a scary plot lurking in the background.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HIJK posted:

It really is a shame about The Black Tapes, Tanis, etc. I still go back and listen to the first seasons of those shows all the time. I haven't found anything that scratches the itch for a single narrator, strange ephemera, and a scary plot lurking in the background.

Yah early Black Tapes when you thought it was going somewhere was amazing.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

HIJK posted:

That’s what I liked about Night Vale (plus or minus the scary plot), but they kept ratcheting up the “strange” factor until it got too excessive. Well, for me anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone listened to this?

https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/bubble/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

yah, it wasn't good, wasn't bad. As long as it's 1 season it didn't wear out it's welcome. Better than a season of Tanis at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NoSleep darling Borrasca got turned into a big budget podcast starring Cole Sprouse. In case anyone wanted a bigger deeper dive into a story where the real horror was child rape and murder