Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
After seeing the primo Mookie weirdness in Star Power that makes his work so entertaining, it’s just so obvious the Legacy is treading water. There’s just nothing he’s got to say here. Might as well pad things out with some walking until the next naked dream sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I like these stone statue guys at least, they're pretty cute.

In my personal Legacy of Dominic Deegan headcanon™ they're politely asking Snout what the gently caress he's doing but he can't hear them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's pretty convenient that they're all facing the exact same direction so that Mookie doesn't have to draw them in anything other than a 3/4 profile

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I'm imagining in panel 2 that Snout tore the head off one of the Easter Island statues and is going to drag it with him for the next 5 updates.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

After seeing the primo Mookie weirdness in Star Power that makes his work so entertaining, it’s just so obvious the Legacy is treading water. There’s just nothing he’s got to say here. Might as well pad things out with some walking until the next naked dream sequence.

And don't forget Star Power is ending. Less than halfway into an arc, I might add. I can't wait to get to that issue, should be entertaining.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Little Death posted:

You're doing it. You magnificient bastard Mookie. More walking and yes just moving on from the Ink witch entirely.

How is he so bad at visual consistency between panels? The grass just magically grows up to the heads of the statues?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I see Snout's made it to Iowa.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Fister Roboto posted:

How is he so bad at visual consistency between panels? The grass just magically grows up to the heads of the statues?

My guess is that it's supposed tob e a third one that has fallen over or been buried. But Mookie doesn't know how to create flow between panels, so it looks like the grass grew instead.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also the way he draws Snout almost in the exact same position in both panels kills any sense of movement intended.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

They're basically just Easter Island statues, some of those have sunk more than others

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Who What Now posted:

It's pretty convenient that they're all facing the exact same direction so that Mookie doesn't have to draw them in anything other than a 3/4 profile

I could see that being used for cheesy eeriness in a webcomic that went into the effort of drawing more than three of them. Like imagine if Snout came across a completely flat rock expanse, with hundreds of these things lined up facing away from the sun, casting shadows over every step he takes. Maybe he doodles on one, maybe he takes a nap in the shade of another. Then he leaves a little offering of food at the feet of one with a more severe crack in the face than the others.

Once he clears the crowd, he doesn't look back, but the camera does a 180 to show they've all turned to watch him, and the one with the cracked face is nowhere to be seen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

My guess is that it's supposed tob e a third one that has fallen over or been buried. But Mookie doesn't know how to create flow between panels, so it looks like the grass grew instead.

Mookie was drawing Snout standing on the edge of the grass looking out at nothing and realized he didn't want to draw two feet or hands today.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

TheHan posted:

And cool end for Black Hole Bill there. They won’t kill you (that’d be evil), but they will use their government connections to ensure you spend the rest of your life suffering in the most inhumane space prison they can find. The way he just transparently uses the death of this AI—A living thing that was afraid to die and apparently just a child—to exact his personal vengeance makes it extra special.

Yeah that stuck out to me, especially with the purple lady getting chewed out for using lethal force against him. Clearly she should have just tortured him instead of shooting at him when he was trying to kill a bunch of people - that would be the Good Guy thing to do!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That’s right! Black Hole Bill is now a CHILD MURDERER! Because just having been a feared bounty hunter isn’t enough, we need to make sure he’s extra-unredeemable! Jocks never prosper.

Is a reason ever given why the Zori apparently hire their children out as ships? And wouldn't the Zori want people to know that they have kids out there being ships, if only to make people think twice about casually killing them?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So hey those stone guys have potential but they're probably just more scenery right

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

maltesh posted:

Is a reason ever given why the Zori apparently hire their children out as ships? And wouldn't the Zori want people to know that they have kids out there being ships, if only to make people think twice about casually killing them?

I think maybe the idea is that they allow their "children" to go out and live their lives however they want, and I guess Bill's ship AI decided she wanted to live as his "loyal steed".

(Or, more than likely, Mookie didn't think up those details about the Zori until AFTER the page where Bill crushed his ship.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Just because their makers consider them their "children" also doesn't have to mean that they should get treated as minors. Children grow up, they learn. Was his ship AI freshly made? Was it mentally equivalent to a human child? It doesn't matter, just pull some bullshit that lets you use the phrase "child murderer"! In a galactic world seemingly without religion death is an escape, and in lack of purgatory a lifetime of eternal torture is needed to exact divine punishment. The cruelty that the protagonists are not allowed to express will be permitted in order to force a moment of catharsis that no-one asked for.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's just the equivalent to how Dominic/Luna/Greg would never kill anyone in DD, but someone like Celesto would always show up afterwards to gruesomely finish the job, usually right before or after we would find out the person is even more cartoonishly evil than we thought just to make sure no one would mourn the dead.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Being fair "do not kill" is kind of the number one maxim of superhero comics, so it's understandable why the main character wouldn't do that (plus she's a non-combat scientist, killing doesn't generally come easy to people).

But that's also because superheroes tend to be extrajudicial vigilantes and it's kind of understandable that everyone is more comfortable if they don't get to decide who lives and dies. It's a lot weirder when they're attached to what are essentially military units.

Also, dear lord the size of the sniper laser that purple lady has. That thing is ridiculous. The scope alone is the size of an Xbox. And apparently it only holds like...six shots?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah up until that moment there's no indication his ship AI is considered a "child".

Calling Bill a child murderer is like calling someone who murdered an adult human a child murderer because that adult was someone's son or daughter, ie their child. Mookie has conflated the terms "child (kid)" and "child (offspring)".

oriongates posted:

Being fair "do not kill" is kind of the number one maxim of superhero comics, so it's understandable why the main character wouldn't do that (plus she's a non-combat scientist, killing doesn't generally come easy to people).

But that's also because superheroes tend to be extrajudicial vigilantes and it's kind of understandable that everyone is more comfortable if they don't get to decide who lives and dies. It's a lot weirder when they're attached to what are essentially military units.

Also, dear lord the size of the sniper laser that purple lady has. That thing is ridiculous. The scope alone is the size of an Xbox. And apparently it only holds like...six shots?

I can understand Star Power not wanting to kill. But Grex happens to be a professional soldier - yet it's automatically a foregone conclusion she will not kill. As with the entire rest of the galactic military. It's never discussed, they just don't, other than Grex being chided for switching on her red beam for a moment, as if that's not a loving LOGICAL thing to do.

The rifle held a lot more than 6 shots - I just didn't include all the images of her stunning guys because it was redundant, and I'm just trying to get across the main story beats and weird writing moments.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 5, 2020

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

oriongates posted:

Being fair "do not kill" is kind of the number one maxim of superhero comics

And a lot of shonen. Look at Goku or Naruto. Granted, Goku killed more folks in Dragonball, but in Z yeah. It's generally the edgy rival character, the Vegeta/Sasuke, who comes in to kill the villain after the hero has defeated them. Much like the Mookie Prime/Celesto relationship.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

oriongates posted:

Right but that statement is a) kind of wierd as it applies to all her alien friends, including the one just using a sniper rifle, and b) is sort of hypocritical when Mookie does end up killing/horrifically punishing all his enemies. It's not like even batman comics always ended with the universe conspriring to punish the riddler for evil by sending him to be tortured by angry HAL 9000s.

Like, this is the millenium federation, presumably supposed to be thought of in terms like Star Trek's federation, and the security chief of this station is like "hah, I'm sending you somewhere that just barely qualifies as not violating your rights". The fact that all of his stories seem to involve these irredeemable characters who the narrative always inflicts pain and/or a painful death on is really is at the core of a Mookie story. That underlying vindictiveness is one of the things I find sort of fascinating about him, because so much of his persona is dedicated to a sort of feel good goofball affect. It's stuff like this that makes me come around to hateread his stuff.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alright, time for a new arc: STAR POWER AND THE MYSTERY OF THE ZEL GUX DYNASTY. Buckle up, friendos, this one is a doozy.

Chapter 3.1

Mitch and Star Power are looking for the source of the signal of another sentinel they detected last issue. It turns out to be a system that holds the ruins of an ancient civilization, the Zel Gux.

Mitch doesn’t know any history of this race despite having downloaded the galactic databases. It’s immediately incredibly obvious to me why – he’s been blocked from it because the Zel Gux are probably involved in the origin of the Star Powered Sentinels.

Danica asks Dr Brightman to help her investigate this.

GAH

Dr Brightman says yes, because like all scientists, she can barely contain her nerdy glee at the prospect of DOING SCIENCE!

And these three goobers are coming too of course

Oh, and the Asari.

Oh boy. This is gonna be a whole THING between them this chapter, isn’t it.

Basically the Zel Gux were an ancient races that uplifted races and spread technology through the galaxy, and then died out and left behind ruins. The crew is going to one of the planets that has a thriving tourist trade due to the presence of ruins.

They all go have fun at, uh, Dynastyland.

Meanwhile, Danica, Asari, and the doctor go to a museum.

This is supposed to come off like the Asari girl being obnoxious and showing up Danica, but… This is her SPECIALTY! She has every right to be excited about it and want to share her knowledge, which is, indeed, greater than Danica’s. But instead of just letting her enjoy herself, Danica is annoyed that Asari is showing her up.

STOP SAYING THAT

They look at some more things, it’s all very inspiring.

You’ve been blocked from it because the Zel Gux are probably involved in the origin of the Star Powered Sentinels.

What the gently caress

Asari girl is being strawmanned HARD here. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT

Anyway, fast forwarding, they go to a Zel Gux temple, and Danica sees a beam of light no one else can see, and they follow it.

Yes yes, we get it already, she’s being a know-it-all.

Anyway, door opens and they find a secret chamber. Also, I've decided Empathy Octopus' new name is Octomom.

Nice rock boobs! Gotta love that sexual dimorphism.

Oh thank god, someone finally acknowledging her expertise. … Wait, don’t they have universal translators? It doesn’t work on written text I guess?

Mitch touches a thing that looks just like him and some statues come to life.

Oh come on, they’re clearly rock golems, you’re ok with killing robots but not this?

Eh whatever, at least purple lady is ok with killing this time.

The Asari does it wrong because she is not a Mookie.

Danica does it right because she is a Mookie.

And she gets “the first key” so you can probably guess how this is going to go.

Yup, it's Borderlands.

Also, jesus loving christ. Sorry Mookie, I’m on team Beena here. This feels like character assassination – he’s going out of his way to write her dialogue as an annoying rear end in a top hat, to the point that it just feels cartoonish. But SHE IS ACTUALLY THE EXPERT ON THIS. SHE IS JUSTIFIED IN BEING SMUG ABOUT IT.

Anyway, we flash to the 3 void angels, again, and… Wait, tracker? What “tracker”?

What? No. No no no. This is retconning bullshit.

They never had a Star Power tracker. The first time they fought her, it was just a mission to kill Danica, who was NOT YET STAR POWER, and their boss EXPLICITLY was told not to tell them about her powers. The second time they fought her it was a lucky fluke she was there. THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A TRACKER UNTIL THIS MOMENT.

Oh yeah, Blue Lady is back. Finally, some real danger!

On that note, here’s a preview of the next issue:

MOOKIEEEEEE

Once again, this issue ends with a Mookie-illustrated story. It’s probably about the Zel Gux, and it’s still pretty boring.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 24, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is every arc going to open with the cast going where the plot requires by total coincidence

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Eh, I wouldn't really say that's what happened in this case. They were following a signal they had picked up in the sentinel network, and it led them to this planet and those ruins.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

Like, this is the millenium federation, presumably supposed to be thought of in terms like Star Trek's federation, and the security chief of this station is like "hah, I'm sending you somewhere that just barely qualifies as not violating your rights". The fact that all of his stories seem to involve these irredeemable characters who the narrative always inflicts pain and/or a painful death on is really is at the core of a Mookie story. That underlying vindictiveness is one of the things I find sort of fascinating about him, because so much of his persona is dedicated to a sort of feel good goofball affect. It's stuff like this that makes me come around to hateread his stuff.

This is my favorite part of Mookie's stories, cause as we see in this latest chapter it isn't exclusively for the comically villainous. For the crime of, uh, "being a know-it-all" this green woman is nearly turned into pulp by golems and then has to have the main character not only save her but then be more right than her at a pivotal moment. You can set your watch to the inevitable tearing down of anyone opposite the protagonists, whether they're a better historian, seer or character archetype. Even if you're an ill-defined spaghetti monster, best believe you're gonna end up a humiliated corpse for the hero to stand over and Tut-tut about how weak and foolish you truly were.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The way she's acting about history that we're supposed to be annoyed about his how Danica/Professor woman act all the time about astronomy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty dumb but I'm way madder about the tracker thing. What a crock of poo poo.

No mention of a tracker. Ever. Until now.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 5, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

SHE IS ACTUALLY THE EXPERT ON THIS. SHE IS JUSTIFIED IN BEING SMUG ABOUT IT.

But she's the "wrong kind of nerd."

She's not like his sweet, innocent, barefoot space waifu who can "geek out" about a telescope and study a star without--knowing anything about it, or documenting anything about it, or really putting in any of the actual work involved in studying something--but just does what she wants intuitively and ignores everything else.

Asari Girl is the sort of nerd who studies and works. Real heroes don't work, greatness gets dropped into their laps after putting in the same amount of effort Mookie himself does (None!). She's the sort of nerd who would point out that "constellations" don't really exist, they're just formations that our pattern-seeking brains have assembled and many of the component stars of any given constellation are billions of light years apart even though they appear to be close together. She's the sort of nerd that would point out that referencing "constellations" as essentially geographical features of space; or that patterning Danica's costume after a constellation that is only visible from Earth and that, once again, Mitch was not a part of (all the stars of Orion already have names) makes no sense.

In other words, she'd call Mookie out on his dumb bullshit and, because superficial knowledge is all Mookie has, if there's one thing he can't tolerate it's appearing to be wrong about something.

She exists in the same nebulous "enemies" group as the jocks: the fellow student who actually knows more about something than Mookie does and always has the potential to pull back the curtain and reveal what's really pulling the Great Oz's strings.

Edit: He even literally gave her "four eyes."

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 5, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There's a smallness to these adventures that I find particularly weird given the green-lantern/lensman setting. Danica is the last of the represenatives of a team of intergalactic super soldiers, who canonically spread across the entire galaxy at one point. Yet her first 3 adventures have been going to places already known by everyone and involve incredibly low stakes. I won't ruin it, but I will say that having read ahead the next 5 issue chapter ups the stakes a little, but even then Danica's power level is shown as really not that strong, and the stakes are still pretty close to home. Even jokey settings like Guardians of the Galaxy have higer stakes than this usually.

Also when Dr. Hymn shows up prepare for the most incredibly underwhelming super villain plan ever.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 5, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

There's a smallness to these adventures that I find particularly weird given the green-lantern/lensman setting. Danica is the last of the represenatives of a team of intergalactic super soldiers, who canonically spread across the entire galaxy at one point. Yet her first 3 adventures have been going to places already known by everyone and involve incredibly low stakes. I won't ruin it, but I will say that having read ahead the next 5 issue chapter ups the stakes a little, but even then Danica's power level is shown as really not that strong, and the stakes are still pretty close to home. Even jokey settings like Guardians of the Galaxy have higer stakes than this usually.

Also when Dr. Hymn shows up prepare for the most incredibly underwhelming super villain plan ever.

I've got some mixed feelings on the scope of her adventures (yes, I have some actual POSITIVE feelings about this comic!) which I'll go into once we've gotten through Chapter 4.

Regarding Dr. Hymn, I actually feel it's the strongest arc of the comic. It still has its share of dumb stuff, but the overall story itself is better than any of the others - although I haven't finished reading the final arc yet.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Asari Girl is the sort of nerd who studies and works. Real heroes don't work, greatness gets dropped into their laps after putting in the same amount of effort Mookie himself does (None!). She's the sort of nerd who would point out that "constellations" don't really exist, they're just formations that our pattern-seeking brains have assembled and many of the component stars of any given constellation are billions of light years apart even though they appear to be close together. She's the sort of nerd that would point out that referencing "constellations" as essentially geographical features of space; or that patterning Danica's costume after a constellation that is only visible from Earth and that, once again, Mitch was not a part of (all the stars of Orion already have names) makes no sense.

Ironically it's Danica that gets annoyed with Asari Girl talking about constellations and astrology. I think it happens in one of the next few issues (unless it happened in this one and I skipped it).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 5, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ironically it's Danica that gets annoyed with Asari Girl talking about constellations and astrology. I think it happens in one of the next few issues (unless it happened in this one and I skipped it).

I was mostly reacting to the professor's line in the first panel here, but this isn't the first time someone's tossed out the word "Constellation" like it's an actual geographical region.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And these three goobers are coming too of course

So here comes Mookie, filing the serial numbers off his favorite sci-fi video game plots and having villians spout handbook poo poo like "no, don't kill her, bring her to me", and he absolutely misses the opportunity for hacky worldbuilding by using "holomovies" or "3d-vids" or whatever.

As a cargo cult writer, he is maddeningly frustrating.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was mostly reacting to the professor's line in the first panel here, but this isn't the first time someone's tossed out the word "Constellation" like it's an actual geographical region.

It's acceptable in this context since it's used as an allegorical/mythological figure. They've got the name of a star, and the astronomy boss gives the exposition that the inhabitants of this planet put this star in a constellation called the guardian. So it's clear that it's relative to this planet's view of the sky and used for its local astrological symbolism. It's not astronomy but it's still believable as the kind of trivia an astronomy nerd could know.

I don't know about the other uses of the word but here it actually works.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly, as the arc goes on, the problem I have with the conflict between Danica and Asari Girl isn't that Danica always has to be right (thankfully, she's not) and and Asari Girl is always the more abrasive one (she's not), it's how shoehorned in it is. All of a sudden both of these characters are acting VERY out of, uh, character, just so the plot can create a conflict between the two.

Howard Beale posted:

So here comes Mookie, filing the serial numbers off his favorite sci-fi video game plots and having villians spout handbook poo poo like "no, don't kill her, bring her to me", and he absolutely misses the opportunity for hacky worldbuilding by using "holomovies" or "3d-vids" or whatever.

As a cargo cult writer, he is maddeningly frustrating.

While there's no holovids, don't worry, the next arc has plenty of parodies of pop culture, specifically a cheesy TV show. It's... A thing.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 5, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

While there's no holovids, don't worry, the next arc has plenty of parodies of pop culture, specifically a cheesy TV show. It's... A thing.

This is great to hear, cause my other favorite thing about Mookie is that all his fantasy worlds just wind up being modern America with magic/aliens. There’s already a bit of that with this last chapter having a generic amusement park, so I hope he continues adding dumb variations of all his favorite modern trappings until all the unique potential of a cosmic setting is completely smothered under garbage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ohh, just wait until you see the final arc.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well I may not have time tomorrow, and I’m feeling spicy today, so you get another chapter!

Chapter 3.2

So yeah, that happened.

This entire arc cuts back and forth between the main plot and what’s going on with Blue Badlady, so for clarity, instead of putting those in the order they appear in the comic, I’m going to do one at a time, starting with the good guys’ side.

The next stop on their key journey is the planet of the Hydrolaxians. Remember their bio?

Also remember this, and how weird and dumb it was?

Stick a pin in that.

So, uh, around this time Mookie decided that instead of naming everything (spoiler: she names precisely 2 things in the entire comic series) Danica’s thing is actually corny dad jokes. BUCKLE UP.

Get ready for this exact same exchange every time they land on a planet.

Yep, it’s the episode of the anime where they all go to the beach! KAWAAII!

Peak Mookie: a panel with both the words “jock” and “nerd”.

Kudos to Danica for calling out Muscle Lizard, that is actually kind of hosed up, even if he didn’t really mean it. I was starting to suspect he might have some sort of actual animosity towards Purple Lady at this point, but it never comes up again.

Anyway, they’re playing around and Danica lifts Muscle Lizard up like she’s going to drop him in the water, and then this thing pops up.

So yeah that happens

… But you know what it wants with you. It very clearly stated what it wants with you. It might be kind of uncomfortable and a little scary, but why is there any question it’s benevolent?

So anyway they’re fine and arrive at the palace, and she meets the king.

Aaaand here’s the “Magesty” thing. Mookie apparently thinks this is really clever, but again, it only makes sense in English and they are all using universal translators.

And AGAIN. Just… WHY? It’s dumb as hell.

Oh it’s a test all of a sudden! Man, what a pickle, how will she get out of this one?

by asking nicely

oh

okay

… Of COURSE she didn’t attack the guardian or you. This was such a dumb test. This entire issue was Danica getting handed a key on a silver platter.

So she’s given the key, returns to her friends, and Asari is sad because she didn’t get to show off.

We end the issue with the void angels. Oh no! 3 guys she’s beaten before! How will she ever survive.

Ok, now we jump back to Blue Badlady’s section…

She’s being interrogated by someone from “Psychology Ops” in an attempt to understand her.

Aaaaand he’s that kind of comic book psychologist trope, the one that reads everything about you from the slightest flicker of emotion. And then is real smug about explaining it. Hoo boy.

Hey guys did you know humans have a violent past? Well, humans have a violent past. Bet you didn’t know. About the violent past. That humans have.

Guys, do you think she might be… Evil????!

So this starts to get in to what the point of these scenes with Blue Lady – it’s about her expressing her worldview and her argument for how it’s actually the correct one. In the hands of a better writer, a character like this could come off as persuasive, devious, and manipulative, and have you leave the conversation with your own worldview in question.

Unfortunately we got Mookie.

This is something you’ll see a few times throughout this arc. Blue Lady stating one thing… And then flashing to Danica for IMMEDIATE evidence that she’s utterly, completely wrong. She cannot be allowed to have even the slightest bit of a point for even a fraction of a second. She MUST be clearly wrong out of the gate.

The net result, for me at least, is deflating and boils her down to a very uninteresting, cartoonish villain with views that have no tangible basis in reality. Shades of grey? Moral quandaries? What’s that?!

So yeah. All these scenes accomplish is taking a character that has been beaten utterly, both physically and philosophically, and then spit on them and grind them into the dirt. It’s just not necessary.

Anyway. Chapter ends with more of the Zel Gux story illustrated by Mookie. Nothing interesting there. (Don't worry, you don't need to pay too much attention to these, none of this backstory is really important for anything that happens later.)

One final note, something I stumbled across: did you know that this issue includes Star Power's first ever trans character? I'll let the images below detail it, and then I'll include a response a trans person on twitter had, as they are much more qualified than me to analyze this.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 24, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I like the underwater guys
They look like characters from Neopets comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah, here's where the writing and art are at odds again. These comics are essentially like a video game setup, elemental themed planets with simple puzzles and on the nose morality just waiting for the PC. But the art in service of this plot is way above what's necessary. It's sort of a bumber these awesome fish people just exist to be the Zoras to Danica's offbrand Link and Mitch's offbrand Navi.

Also, looked ahead on a hunch:

Definitely belted these all out last weekend.