Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Isomermaid posted:

Adam Buxton's suffered with mental health issues, I wonder if that's effected his work output? He had that kids TV thing though (what was it, Bug?) and turned up in a bit part in the film they made of Stardust.
Probably misremembering but iirc Buxton shared an anecdote from one of the big names on the set of Stardust and they raised such a stink his holywood carer got kneecapped. Also I think he only got the role in the first place because another more famous british comedian had to drop out at the last minute.

Also Joe promised him a role in Attack the Block but ended up giving it to Nick Frost instead.

At the very least he got to be in Hott Fuzz which is just an incredibly good movie to have had the goriest death scene in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It doesn't help that he's really not a great actor at all. I like Capt. Buckules a lot but acting isn't his strong suit.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Mr Phillby posted:

Probably misremembering but iirc Buxton shared an anecdote from one of the big names on the set of Stardust and they raised such a stink his holywood carer got kneecapped. Also I think he only got the role in the first place because another more famous british comedian had to drop out at the last minute.

Also Joe promised him a role in Attack the Block but ended up giving it to Nick Frost instead.

At the very least he got to be in Hott Fuzz which is just an incredibly good movie to have had the goriest death scene in.

There was also the story from when someone (possibly Joe?) pulled some strings to get him an audition for Arthur Dent in the HHGTTG movie and he turned up with a towel and a dressing gown in a carrier bag, asked if he should use them for the reading, and it was such a bad move that the casting director basically said 'if anyone who wasn't a friend of X did this then I'd make sure they never got an audition in this town again'.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

101 posted:

If I've never seen Taskmaster and am planning to watch this new one are there any 'essential' seasons I should go back and watch?

I'd recommend watching them all but if you really want to cut it down then Series 1, 2, 5 & 7 are the best.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

101 posted:

If I've never seen Taskmaster and am planning to watch this new one are there any 'essential' seasons I should go back and watch?

I'd agree with Lemons list. It's worth watching them all but the season with Dave Gorman in it (3?) is absolutely 100% the weakest of them all.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

One Swell Foop posted:

There was also the story from when someone (possibly Joe?) pulled some strings to get him an audition for Arthur Dent in the HHGTTG movie and he turned up with a towel and a dressing gown in a carrier bag, asked if he should use them for the reading, and it was such a bad move that the casting director basically said 'if anyone who wasn't a friend of X did this then I'd make sure they never got an audition in this town again'.

Why is that a bad thing? You hear anecdotal evidence of actors doing weird over the top stuff at auditions that nail them the role

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
S3 is great with all the Gorman cheating and Moneybags Murray

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there anywhere to watch the old Adam & Joe TV shows?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there anywhere to watch the old Adam & Joe TV shows?

Are they not on All4? I appreciate it’s a bag of wank to use.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Are they not on All4? I appreciate it’s a bag of wank to use.
They are, yes:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think it's generally understood that Joe is a bit of a poo poo.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
But on balance: all of them are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seb Patrick has died suddenly, and he seemed to have been known by a lot of my friends, so I figured he’d probably have been known here too.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

The_Doctor posted:

Seb Patrick has died suddenly, and he seemed to have been known by a lot of my friends, so I figured he’d probably have been known here too.

He final tweet was amazing. Which makes me wonder, if he killed himself (I don't know how he died).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

echoplex posted:

I think it's generally understood that Joe is a bit of a poo poo.

I've genuinely never heard that. Usually if you're lovely you rarely get any work (or it dries up fast)

Depending on what sort of lovely you are, I guess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The only season I didn't like of TASKMASTER is the one with Russell Howard. And I usually like him, but I was getting big Rory McGrath energy from his need to be seen as the best.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The only season I didn't like of TASKMASTER is the one with Russell Howard. And I usually like him, but I was getting big Rory McGrath energy from his need to be seen as the best.

Imagine liking Russell Howard, I dunno if I can handle that idea.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Isomermaid posted:

Adam Buxton's suffered with mental health issues, I wonder if that's effected his work output? He had that kids TV thing though (what was it, Bug?) and turned up in a bit part in the film they made of Stardust.

The kid's TV thing is "Messy goes to Okido", Bug is the music videos / youtube video comments read out in comedy voices thing that got cancelled after a series. I think that Messy is the first thing he's done post Adam & Joe Show that got a second series.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
There's no bad season of Taskmaster and thankfully 5 guests means that even if 1 of them isn't all that great it's not enough to spoil the season.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DrVenkman posted:

I think that's more 'wtf I'm your irl mate Gregg/Alex'.
Tim Key has this as well. Both not realizing its for comedy.
Rhod Gilbert and Roisin Conaty knew this, and played well with it, for some of the best comedy bits.

I don't mind them arguing, it enforces that it is a competition between them.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Taear posted:

Usually if you're lovely you rarely get any work (or it dries up fast)

You gentle, naive darling, you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

echoplex posted:

You gentle, naive darling, you.

I'm thinking people like Val Kilmer. Who're good but hard to work with so they're not doing as well as they would do otherwise, you know?
A certain variety of lovely, the "not the right kind of people" lovely.

I'm saying the lovely that makes you a pain to work with, not the lovely that makes you a horrible person.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ookiimarukochan posted:

The kid's TV thing is "Messy goes to Okido", Bug is the music videos / youtube video comments read out in comedy voices thing that got cancelled after a series. I think that Messy is the first thing he's done post Adam & Joe Show that got a second series.
Doesn't he do Bug as a live show or something now? Or, rather, did. Fucken virus.

I love Adam Buxton on the wireless but I've barely seen anything with his face in it except the films what he done badly acted in as I mentioned before.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His latest TV appearance I can recall was on an episode of Travel Man, but I don't watch a lot of panel shows.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
He's a regular on The Crystal Maze as a disembodied head that speaks in riddles.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

thehustler posted:

S3 is great with all the Gorman cheating and Moneybags Murray

I agree with this. I'd say the season with James Acaster (7?) is probably the best one. I remember the Joe Thomas (Simon from The Inbetweeners), because Joe is hilariously awkward and never knows what to do with himself when the camera is on him but he's not speaking.

On the "failures" chat, I think it works well for Richard Herring to make it part of his act because part of Stewart Lee's whole schtick is that he's a failed comedian who doesn't get the recognition he deserves, so Herring comparing himself to Lee ends up with a circle of self-depreciation. For the imaginary sitcom, Steve Merchant should also be in the cast, he would be incredibly arrogant with the other "failures" because he's the most successful out of them, it's just that Ricky Gervais is obscenely successful.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I've been to a few recordings of Taskmaster but can never remember which series is which - we sat in on the Bob Mortimer and Sally Phillips one, that series was great. Bob does little flashes of brilliance. Not sure it came across in the edit but Philips is *very* competitive. Think we saw a Phil Wang and Acaster one too, but can't remember. I found with Taskmaster that a lot of the comedians you don't think will be great (Liza Tarbuck etc) actually really flourish on that show. Hated the love island guy. Must be a shitter for the production team when they end up with someone who isn't really committing to it, there's been a few of those in the last few series.

They're probably due a champion of champions again at this point? I sort of feel they peaked quite early in terms of talent, not sure if going to C4 opens up the coffers a bit.

Joe Thomas is *very* shy, it's hilarious. I've had some odd days at work in my life, but the oddest will always be be being stuck up a mountain, in the rain, in rural scotland with Elon Musk and Harry Enfield, with Joe Thomas just not wanting to be involved with *any* of that and sitting far away in some long grass on his ones, eating lovely catering spaghetti. I can't imagine how hard it is being an introvert type typically cast as a bit of lad. Weird headspace to get into.

Taear posted:

I'm thinking people like Val Kilmer. Who're good but hard to work with so they're not doing as well as they would do otherwise, you know?

I'm saying the lovely that makes you a pain to work with, not the lovely that makes you a horrible person.

There are unfortunately a great many grades of lovely, for some reason the tolerances are much higher in telly world. Kilmer is kind of the classical apex of that but there is lots of space inebetween. Even those who are difficult to manage still get by for a long time.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 4, 2020

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Buckles is not a great actor, agreed, but there must be more space for him to do stuff. Give him the Gadget Show, or something, as long as he gets a paycheque.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Akuma posted:

Doesn't he do Bug as a live show or something now? Or, rather, did. Fucken virus.

It was a live show before it was a TV show, yeah. He's taken it to the USA a few times so he's more successful than he pretends, I think?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

echoplex posted:

Joe Thomas is *very* shy, it's hilarious. I've had some odd days at work in my life, but the oddest has to be being stuck up a mountain, in the rain, in rural scotland with Elon Musk and Harry Enfield, with Joe Thomas just not wanting to be involved with *any* of that and sitting far away in some long grass eating lovely catering spaghetti.

Joe Thomas has always struck me as someone who never wanted to be famous or even be on telly, but he's just too polite to turn anything down so just goes along with it. It's like he's accidentally quantum lept into the body of a celebrity and doesn't know how to handle being on camera at all.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Out of the seasons I've seen on Youtube, I thought S1 was the weakest mainly because Greg Davies was still sort of working out his character and b/c I didn't care much for Roisin Conaty or Tim Key. Still better than most things on TV, though, and Romesh smashing the melon on the ground is a top five moment for the show.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Anbybody remember the 2004 BBC Three drama show Bodies? I'm 2 episodes in on amazon. It's the Line of Duty guy's other hospital drama after Cardiac Arrest (which I loved and probably shouldn't've watched when it aired when I was 10 - but you couldn't tear me away from the screen when Helen Baxendale was on it). It's nowhere near as stupid as Line of Duty, but it does have the same tension and is just as addictive.

It's set exclusively on a maternity ward and focuses on the absolute worst things that can happen to pregnant women, all of which are derived from the creator's real world job as a hospital doctor. It's incredibly grim.

Would not recommend it to fans of One Born Every Minute

Also speaking of Line of Duty I'm at the end of series 3. Does anyone know if there's a podcast or similar discussing how ridiculous it is? I saw one but got the impression it was going to be fawning.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Taear posted:

Does anyone else feel the age of the "star" has faded a bit. It seems like 'the franchise' or director has overtaken as the most important thing for viewers.

I mean, i can't think of the last film i was super hyped to see just because Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp or "name" was in it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Superfans are still a thing, and a star that people obsess about can always draw attention to an otherwise mediocre production. Just look at Benedict Cumberbatch and how he can draw fans to watch any old shite.

Somehow while phone typing his name it autocorrected to "bandicoot cucumber patch".

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

echoplex posted:

Buckles is not a great actor, agreed, but there must be more space for him to do stuff. Give him the Gadget Show, or something, as long as he gets a paycheque.
I think Bug proved he's a good fit for the same sort of stuff Dave Gorman does, just put him in front of a laptop and have him read youtube comments in a funny voice.

Too bad Bug was on Sky 1, there eas a weird period where they comissioned a bunch of neat stuff but nobody watched it because its on Sky 1.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mr Phillby posted:

I think Bug proved he's a good fit for the same sort of stuff Dave Gorman does,

I wholeheartedly endorse your proposal to have Gorman, and while you're there, Danny Wallace, brutally murdered in order to make career space for Buckles, and then have their bodies ground into some form of nutrient paste to keep him alive for longer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not really sure you need to have anything happen to Danny Wallace, given he seems to have fallen off the face of the planet anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not really sure you need to have anything happen to Danny Wallace, given he seems to have fallen off the face of the planet anyway.

They stopped publishing Shortlist in 2018, and his column in that was the last regular proof he existed.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Oh, I feel bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
He does the commentary for World's Strongest Man nowdays lol.